PDA

View Full Version : Worst player in NBA

Rain City
03-10-2016, 12:34 AM
I watch a lot of NBA games and analyze stats, mainly not looking for bad players. Am curious on opinion the worst player is? Preferably a guy who is in a rotation.

My nomination is Kyle Singler, he was nice in college, I thought he'd be a JJ Redick level contributor but he's terrible and i think it is a huge fail for OKC not make a move for an upgrade of his role. Last year I thought Cole Alrdridge was the worst NBA player i ever seen but i think Doc is putting him in position to be affective.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-10-2016, 12:50 AM
Valanciunas.

aman_13
03-10-2016, 12:59 AM

5ass
03-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Lebron James.

mrblisterdundee
03-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Bruno Caboclo, who now faces stiff competition from Michael Beasley, Keith Appling and, surprisingly, Jodie Meeks.

aman_13
03-10-2016, 02:38 AM
Bruno doesn't play in the NBA.

CHANGO
03-10-2016, 02:48 AM
IMO it's very hard to say X player is bad when we don't have an idea of what we are looking for, a guy who plays 5MPG? A guy who plays 10MPG? etc... I'm pretty sure there are guys who play 5MPG that are awfully bad and that's why they play 5 minutes. :laugh: BUT, I think the best way to go here is by PER setting a filter of guys with 10+MPG.

Take your pick. :D

RK PLAYER PER
1 James Anderson, SAC 3.43
2 Rashad Vaughn, MIL 4.11
3 Sonny Weems, PHX 4.40
4 Anthony Brown, LAL 4.99
5 Lamar Patterson, ATL 5.18
6 Tony Snell, CHI 58 6.35
Tayshaun Prince, MIN 6.35
8 Adreian Payne, MIN 6.38
9 Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, LAC 6.80
10 Johnny O'Bryant III, MIL 7.02

The PIE (Player Impact Estimate) with 10+ MPG and 20+ GP shows.
Anderson
Vaughn
Singler
Weems
Justin Holiday
Mbah a Moute
World Peace
Anthony Brown
Lamar Patterson
PJ Hairston

as the worst players. I used to think that Singler was the worst too, but that game he played against the Dubs changed my perception of him, instead I may go with Waiters as the worst.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Jimmer....

When he's actually in the league that is

IndyRealist
03-10-2016, 12:50 PM
I'd say guys who only get 5mpg just don't matter. For me, the worst players are a combination of bad plus enough minutes to really hurt your team. I think this year that award goes to Markieff Morris, since Andrea Bargnani is out of the league at the moment.

phantasyyy
03-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Worst player, with big minutes

I'd probably have to go with Dion Waiters.. dude plays significant minutes for a team that is in dire need of consistent production from the 2 guard yet he really is dependable at all. His jumper is shaky, his defense isnt anything special, and his drives are wild.. He is shooting sub 40% from the field and though his 3pt% is 35% it really isnt hard to knock down open 3's with KD and Westbrook creating for him at all times.

Worst player overall
Nick Young - I mean the dude has talent you can see when he is engaged.. but like many others once he got paid its like he stopped caring. His minutes/fg%/scoring everything has gone down since that "fluke" season he had with the lakers.. Dudes a shooting 34% from the field this year.. yikes. Especially with the Lakers devoid of talent/wins

Kyben36
03-10-2016, 02:26 PM
brian scalabrini was my yearly nomination, right now though, im not sure, it depends on if you mean for their contract, or just overall. if its overall, every team has some bench players that really dont deserve to be there.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2016, 02:29 PM

I'd probably have to go with Dion Waiters.. dude plays significant minutes for a team that is in dire need of consistent production from the 2 guard yet he really is dependable at all. His jumper is shaky, his defense isnt anything special, and his drives are wild.. He is shooting sub 40% from the field and though his 3pt% is 35% it really isnt hard to knock down open 3's with KD and Westbrook creating for him at all times.

Worst player overall
Nick Young - I mean the dude has talent you can see when he is engaged.. but like many others once he got paid its like he stopped caring. His minutes/fg%/scoring everything has gone down since that "fluke" season he had with the lakers.. Dudes a shooting 34% from the field this year.. yikes. Especially with the Lakers devoid of talent/wins

In Swaggy Ps defense:

-it wasn't a "fluke season" with the Lakers. He had solid seasons in Washington and with the Clippers before that. Even being the key guy in a comeback playoff win against the Grizzlies a while back with the Clippers.

-Byron Scott has him on the shortest of short leashes. It's no big secret he's not a fan of the antics so Nick is constantly looking over his shoulder during the brief stints he plays.

-on a legit team he would be completely appreciated, especially come playoff time. He has proven when given the time he will get you buckets without a play drawn for him.

-he's basically Jammal Crawford on a horrible team with a coach that doesn't like him.

phantasyyy
03-10-2016, 02:39 PM
In Swaggy Ps defense:

-it wasn't a "fluke season" with the Lakers. He had solid seasons in Washington and with the Clippers before that. Even being the key guy in a comeback playoff win against the Grizzlies a while back with the Clippers.

-Byron Scott has him on the shortest of short leashes. It's no big secret he's not a fan of the antics so Nick is constantly looking over his shoulder during the brief stints he plays.

-on a legit team he would be completely appreciated, especially come playoff time. He has proven when given the time he will get you buckets without a play drawn for him.

-he's basically Jammal Crawford on a horrible team with a coach that doesn't like him.

You give him too much credit lol, that season i am referring to was a contract year so obviously he had an incentive to play hard and well. Theres a reason he bounces around teams every few years and its his lack of professionalism and playing into team concepts and what not.

I mean the Lakers pretty much signed a 6ft version of him in Lou since he cant be counted on to sustain consistent results. Getting buckets on 34% shooting isnt exactly what a team would appreciate especiailly come playoff time.

2-ONE-5
03-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Kendall Marshall

Tony_Starks
03-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Kendall Marshall

Man I jumped for joy the day he was off our roster! Lol

Dude is a bum

Scoots
03-10-2016, 03:36 PM
It's like talking about the worst song ever. Chances are the worst song ever never got heard. The worst player in the NBA is probably the guy who gets no minutes, is about to be cut, and will never be back in the NBA.

10mpg is the bare minimum for me ... possibly 15.

ewing
03-10-2016, 03:45 PM
i think Singler is a decent role player. I also think OKC seems to be where good role players go to die.

IndyRealist
03-10-2016, 03:46 PM

Worst player overall

Both good nominations.

IndyRealist
03-10-2016, 03:47 PM
In Swaggy Ps defense:

Nick Young has always been a bad player.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/5/3607182/nick-young-philadelphia-76ers-video

dhopisthename
03-10-2016, 03:49 PM
by espn's real plus minus it has been terrance jones with nick young 2nd.

JAZZNC
03-10-2016, 04:05 PM
The worst I have seen was John Lucas III. Dennis signed the dude based off of a damn friendship and said he was there to "mentor" our young guys. Mentor them on what, how to brick open 3s and get beat every time on defense???? Dude was a complete joke and he got serious burn that year for somebody that would get cut from a d league team.

Rain City
03-10-2016, 05:56 PM
I'd say guys who only get 5mpg just don't matter. For me, the worst players are a combination of bad plus enough minutes to really hurt your team. I think this year that award goes to Markieff Morris, since Andrea Bargnani is out of the league at the moment.

this is probably how i should have phrased it.

the games i watch OKC and singler comes in its like what does this guy do? not a good shooter, liability on defense, i saw austin rivers beast over him for a rebound the other night. the pathetic part is this is a team that needs to get to the finals. you can't afford to have a lollipop in your rotation when you go against GS. I'm sure his minutes will go down when waiters gets back, maybe its just when i watch OKC games bc each time since last year he is a walking hindrance to the team and they haven't dumped him. its not like he's a developing player with upside. i suppose they are just waiting for him to regain a pretty good shooting stroke he once had.

sam presti got to be the most overrated GM in the game.

Lakers + Giants
03-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Robert Sacre

yungincome
03-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Sasha Vujacic

Honorable mention goes to Jose Calderon

HeartOfStarks
03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Sasha Vujacic

Honorable mention goes to Jose Calderon

The Splash Brothers?!?!

Lim
03-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Matthew delededova

JasonJohnHorn
03-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Austin River is pretty bad. It's hard to make a call like this. Firstly, everybody in the NBA is an amazing basketball player, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Singler, for example (I saw him a lot in Detroit), has a sweet stroke. He's a great shooter. His percentages have been down since he got shipped out of motown, but I think that is in part due to the systems he's played in.

People joke about Scalibrini, but he was a smart player and a hard worker. He wasn't as athletic as some, but he hosted a 1-on-1 'tournament' where he took on the best street ballers in Chi-town (if I remember right) and he killed all of them, and not just by posting up on them, but by shooting.

Teams have an 8 or 9 man rotation, and they have to suit up 12. Those extra three guys may not do much in games (cover for foul trouble and sub in when the game's out of reach; come in when a guy is cold or injured), but they are key pieces of the practice team. They know how to ball, even if they aren't as good as the rotation players. So it's unfair to really knit pick those guys. They are at the end of the bench for a reason. But they are also in uniform for a reason.

So yeah, anybody would point out a rookie a team took a gamble on in the second round and say "He's the worst". Or look to Philly to see which D-league guy replaced their latest injured center.

But if we are going say who is the 'worst' player in the league, I think you have to set a bar there. Who is the worst player with X-number of minutes. Who is the worst rotation player? Who is the worst starter?

In my mind, that would be Austin Rivers. Lance Stephenson (and to a lesser extend Josh Smith) could have worked on that roster but Doc was giving his son minutes and shots. Lance had much higher percentages than Rivers, and should have been getting those minutes. Lance is also a better rebound, and passer, and from the games I've seen, a better defender.

So Rivers has made his team worse than if the guy who was getting minutes over were getting his minutes. Rivers gets 20+ minutes a game, and of players getting that many minutes, you would be hard pressed to find one who was worse than him.

Some might point to Rubion, who is certainly the league's worst shooter, but he's also a phenomenal defender, rebounder, and playmaker, so there is at least something he is bringing to the court. Rivers, as far as I can see, brings nothing, and I can only imagine that it is infuriating teammates that Dad keeps giving his son so many minutes/shots when there are more qualified players on the roster.