PDA

View Full Version : Do Curry needs longetivity to be considered the G(shooter)OAT?

CHANGO
03-09-2016, 03:03 PM
The title says it all. This was a brief discussion between analysts on NBATV one of them was Rick Fox and I believe the other was Granger. Basically Fox say that Curry needs to sustain this level of shooting to be considered the Greatest Shooter of All Time.

Discuss...

mrblisterdundee
03-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I think he needs several seasons of dominance to make it seem like more than a hot streak. But I think Curry will be a comparably deadly shooter into his mide- to late 30s. That's when he'll legitimately be in the GOAT discussion.

ewing
03-09-2016, 03:12 PM
ask Drazen

tredigs
03-09-2016, 03:37 PM
I think he needs several seasons of dominance to make it seem like more than a hot streak. But I think Curry will be a comparably deadly shooter into his mide- to late 30s. That's when he'll legitimately be in the GOAT discussion.

Lol. "Hot Streak" since high school? His sample size is massive; he's been setting shooting records for as long as there are records on him. I realize I have Curry's back in all the threads, but it's for good reason and not without justification.

Let's put it this way and then compare the other players; who would we place ahead of him?

bgdreton
03-09-2016, 03:42 PM
As much as I love Curry Im even getting tired of all the threads. Anyway there is nothing statistical that says he isnt already. The only thing against him is the amount of games played (longevity). But at the current moment he is shattering every 3 pt record in his sight. Eventually he will have them all no doubt about it. Yes he is the greatest shooter ever to live even if he stops playing today. I dont need 10 plus years to say that about him now...

bgdreton
03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Lol. "Hot Streak" since high school? His sample size is massive; he's been setting shooting records for as long as there are records on him. I realize I have Curry's back in all the threads, but it's for good reason and not without justification.

Let's put it this way and then compare the other players; who would we place ahead of him?

I lol'd at that as well ahahah

tredigs
03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Fun fact: Curry has 1492 made career threes. That's already top 25 All-Time. And before the end of the year it will be top 20 All-Time. By this time next year, top 10 All-Time. Holds the single season and single game 3pt record. The college 3pt record. The rookie 3pt record. Is 2nd All-Time to Kerr in 3pt% (1st if we disregard the closer 3pt line Kerr had), and 3rd All-Time in FT%. Factor in the volume + degree of difficulty, and yeah, this case was shut a bit ago.

1492; the number of times Steph Curry has splashed the ocean blue.

KnicksorBust
03-09-2016, 03:44 PM
In Curry's last 3 seasons he's made more 3's than John Stockton made in his career. More 3's than Steve Kerr made in his career. More 3's than Larry Bird made in his career.

I'm all about longevity for career accomplishments but he beat his own 3pt record twice already and is about to smash it like Babe Ruth smashed the HR record. Then you factor in that he's the best offensive player in the NBA and gets all the defensive attention and he's still the 2nd most accurate shooter in NBA History and it's a wrap. He's already the GOAT Shooter and it's not even close. Spending more seasons in the league making a far lesser volume at an easier degree of difficulty for a LOWER SHOOTING PERCENTAGE does not make you the GOAT shooter. Sorry Reggie. Sorry RayRay. Sorry Nash.

CHANGO
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Forgot to add a poll.

Anyways, I agree with the consensus here, to me he doesn't need longevity (in terms of doing what he's doing right now) to be considered the GSOAT.

bgdreton
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
In Curry's last 3 seasons he's made more 3's than John Stockton made in his career. More 3's than Steve Kerr made in his career. More 3's than Larry Bird made in his career.

I'm all about longevity for career accomplishments but he beat his own 3pt record twice already and is about to smash it like Babe Ruth smashed the HR record. Then you factor in that he's the best offensive player in the NBA and gets all the defensive attention and he's still the 2nd most accurate shooter in NBA History and it's a wrap. He's already the GOAT Shooter and it's not even close. Spending more seasons in the league making a far lesser volume at an easier degree of difficulty for a LOWER SHOOTING PERCENTAGE does not make you the GOAT shooter. Sorry Reggie. Sorry RayRay. Sorry Nash.

Pretty much this :rolleyes:

Jay 20
03-09-2016, 04:01 PM
There is no question he is the greatest shooter ever. He has broken the single season 3 pointers made record three times now. (Twice breaking his own record)

His career 3P% is 44% and his worse season he shot 42%.

Ray Allen had 10 seasons where he shot under 40% from three his worse season being 35.6%

He is on pace to SHATTER most 3 pointers in a career, so I have no doubt he will be well over 3,000 when it's all said and done.

It's also the way he shoots, off the dribble, catch, coming off screens, set shots, fade aways, you name it and he hits it at a high percentage.

Nobody can create a three point shot on his own like Curry can either.

IMO he's already the GOAT.

valade16
03-09-2016, 04:46 PM
How has he not shown longevity? This is his 7th season in the league and he has been an elite shooter for every single one of them. He's never shot less than 42% from 3.

He has shown longevity, consistency and volume.

He should be regarded as undoubtedly the best shooter of all-time at this point.

Tony_Starks
03-09-2016, 04:55 PM
He's already sown up greatest shooter ever, and is quickly climbing the ladder of greatest players ever.

Vee-Rex
03-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, at this point longevity is only a factor for him in terms of being the GOAT. He does this for awhile and get more rings and then he's in that discussion.

GOAT shooter is already a wrap.

ghettosean
03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
I think he already is and above that I think he's the most dominant player I've seen since Jordan.

ghettosean
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
That game against OKC where Westbrook jumped up and landed all his weight on Curry's ankle to take him out of the game OMG... For Curry to come back injured (he was hurt lets not fool ourselves) to shoot lights out going into OT and to hit the game winner from just past half court out of nowhere made me cum in my pants.

Without a doubt greatest shooter of all time and I'm surprised it's even being questioned.

phantasyyy
03-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I mean he has or is going to break every 3pt record out there he has the #s and %s now to be considered the best ever - or make a very clear argument for it, I think just the longevity angle will only enforce him as the de-facto GOAT going forward.

I mean he is the only 1 to hit 300 3's in a season - 301 currently if he plays the next 20 games and averages 5 makes a game hes at 400.. - Thompson is very close to 300 also at 191 currently and would also need to average 5-5.5 to hit 300. So we are looking at a possibility here where he is the only one to down 300/400 makes in a season.

Co-holds regular season record for most 3 's in a game @12, which I think he'll break eventually.
The playoff record for most 3's in a game currently sits @ 9 - shared by many but his top mark currently is 8 - last year vs the Grizz

Most 3's in entire playoffs is currently owned by Ray Allen with 385, but with 162(hitting 98 the last post season) currently and the fact that the warriors are gear for long play off runs every year he should top that record as well.

I mean pretty much the only thing missing is the holy grail of 50/40/90 - but I think because he chooses to shoot so many 3's and is such an offensive threat he'll never be able to get that fg% up to 50% to meet that criteria.

Scoots
03-09-2016, 06:45 PM
He DID need longevity ... but he's had enough of that now.

Top 10 3pt shooting seasons in NBA History:
1. Curry
2. Curry
3. Curry
4. Allen
5. Scott
6. Curry
7. McCloud
8. Richardson
9. Stojakovic
10. Thompson
165. Curry
252. Curry

In 6 complete seasons he's in the top 300 ... that's pretty good. In the last 4 he's in the top 6.

The guy 2nd to him in the NBA right now, his teammate, has 2 top 20 seasons, and is 50% behind Steph this season.

Only 3 guys are in the top 20 twice, Allen, Stojakovic, and Thompson. Curry is there 4 times including the top 3.

It's over.

tredigs
03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
I mean he has or is going to break every 3pt record out there he has the #s and %s now to be considered the best ever - or make a very clear argument for it, I think just the longevity angle will only enforce him as the de-facto GOAT going forward.

I mean he is the only 1 to hit 300 3's in a season - 301 currently if he plays the next 20 games and averages 5 makes a game hes at 400.. - Thompson is very close to 300 also at 191 currently and would also need to average 5-5.5 to hit 300. So we are looking at a possibility here where he is the only one to down 300/400 makes in a season.

Co-holds regular season record for most 3 's in a game @12, which I think he'll break eventually.
The playoff record for most 3's in a game currently sits @ 9 - shared by many but his top mark currently is 8 - last year vs the Grizz

Most 3's in entire playoffs is currently owned by Ray Allen with 385, but with 162(hitting 98 the last post season) currently and the fact that the warriors are gear for long play off runs every year he should top that record as well.

I mean pretty much the only thing missing is the holy grail of 50/40/90 - but I think because he chooses to shoot so many 3's and is such an offensive threat he'll never be able to get that fg% up to 50% to meet that criteria.

Do you mean career 50/40/90? He's got 50/40/90 this season. He'll be the first to do it on 30+ PPG.

tredigs
03-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Damn he's career ~48/44/90. That is nuts for how many threes he takes.

look! big kids
03-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Not only does he have it sewn up, but the all-time greatness of his shooting has in a hurry become one of the most incontestable basketball superlatives.

Ha, this just about sums up how ridiculous this whole affair is. Curry's currently at .51/.46/.91, despite his unprecedented 3pt volume (let alone difficulty and variety), and is today the only player with the 50/40/90 distinction.

What's understated here? His ridiculous 2pt% of .574 is 1st among non-centers and 4th overall behind the shooting trifecta of DeAndre, Dwight, and Whiteside.

In addition to the above, he's 3rd in 3pt% and 2nd in FT%, and right behind 2nd and 1st in those categories.

And to reiterate, he already has 32 more threes than the next highest total ever registered by somebody not named Curry (Ray Allen's 269)––and there is 25% of the season remaining.

JasonJohnHorn
03-09-2016, 07:16 PM
He needs to maintain and MVP-level of play for another 3 or 4 years, and then have another 3 or 4 All-Star seasons to be in the conversation with MJ and Kobe.

If he starts playing like he did three years ago from now until 33/34, he'll be top ten. But if he gets an ankle injury or something, he could very well be the next T-Mac, who put up a ridiculous couple of seasons, but struggle afterwards.

But yeah... this season will always be seen as one of the best seasons ever, but for him to be in the GOAT conversation, he needs more season like last year, and more seasons like this season would be a big help!

phantasyyy
03-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Do you mean career 50/40/90? He's got 50/40/90 this season. He'll be the first to do it on 30+ PPG.

Oh yeah I didn't even notice hes at 51% this year.. so yeah he's pretty much got every shooting record in the notched already

ManRam
03-09-2016, 07:18 PM
No. He was the greatest shooter ever even before he won his MVP. He's miles ahead of the competition at this point.

Not that I need to qualify it, but I don't root for the Warriors or Curry (for admittedly petty sports-fandom reasons). But what he's done is undeniable. He's not just a catch-and-shoot guy either (absurdly far from it) like a lot of the old greats.

phantasyyy
03-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Bird pretty much had the 30ppg also, he did put up 29.9ppg during his 87/88 year w/ 52.7/41.4/91.6. :D

tredigs
03-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Bird pretty much had the 30ppg also, he did put up 29.9ppg during his 87/88 year w/ 52.7/41.4/91.6. :D

Ooh didn't know that. Yeah that counts for sure, though he was playing 39 minutes a night and with so many fewer threes, the 60.8% TS% to Curry's 68.5% shows they're not really on the same plane as scoring seasons.

mngopher35
03-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Like everyone else has basically said, he already has GOAT shooter locked up. It really is unbelievable watching him, even longer 3's (like way deep) seem easy for him at this point.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I think he already is and above that I think he's the most dominant player I've seen since Jordan.

Gonna have to disagree on that one...Shaq says hi. Curry does have an argument given how hes played this season, but lets not live too much in the moment here.

BKLYNpigeon
03-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Fun fact: Curry has 1492 made career threes. That's already top 25 All-Time. And before the end of the year it will be top 20 All-Time. By this time next year, top 10 All-Time. Holds the single season and single game 3pt record. The college 3pt record. The rookie 3pt record. Is 2nd All-Time to Kerr in 3pt% (1st if we disregard the closer 3pt line Kerr had), and 3rd All-Time in FT%. Factor in the volume + degree of difficulty, and yeah, this case was shut a bit ago.

1492; the number of times Steph Curry has splashed the ocean blue.

After this season Curry will have more 3 pointers made then Dwayne Wades Career. lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Nah. He's pretty much nailed it down. He was already among the top 10 shooters since he came in the league and has dominated the past 3.

tredigs
03-09-2016, 10:35 PM
After this season Curry will have more 3 pointers made then Dwayne Wades Career. lol.

As in more threes this season than in Wade's career? Crazy.

Mid-way through next season he'll have more career than Dirk, Nash, Kobe, etc. Gonna take a little while to catch Ray though.

nastynice
03-09-2016, 11:35 PM
yea, strictly talking shooter, he could retire tomorrow and at least for the time being be the unquestionable greatest shooter of all time. I can't really remember a player dominating an aspect of basketball in the fashion he has, just completely in a different stratosphere than even the 2nd best of all time

Maybe jordan's "clutchness", I don't know