PDA

View Full Version : Curry like

ewing
03-03-2016, 11:47 AM
With all the talk of Curry and Warriors breaking the game, necessitating rules changes,0 and this being a water shed for what dominate players will be like in the future who actually plays like Curry? I think Lillard is the most Curry like guard in the NBA. Despite being a great shooting he just isn't on Curry's level. Who else is like Curry?

Scoots
03-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Nobody ... yet.

Dominant is the word.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Nobody right now, he's setting a new standard.

I will say my boy Dangelo Russell has some Curry-like tendencies with the range and court vision... has a long way to go with the handle tho...

eDush
03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm going to say Devin Booker will become the next pure sharp shooter in the mode like Curry with his quick release and motion. He's still 19 and it might take him years to get there but it also took Steph awhile too since Nellie didn't give him much playing time as a rookie and was ridiculed by Keith Smart who prefer Monta. Booker is giving free reign as a starter now which will go along way and he already has the fluid motion that makes any player envy of :)

ewing
Nobody ... yet.

Dominant is the word.

why yet? Why do we assume people will be able to replicate what Curry is doing? Magic was said to be the first of his kind when he played the point at 6'9 but that didn't become the norm despite people predicting it. IMO Magic was special and so is Curry. Shooting certainly is more valued today then ever but don't see a wave of Currys on the horizon.

valade16
Lillard's style of play is a lot like Curry's except obviously his impact is nowhere near Curry's, nor do I think he will ever get as good as Curry was last season, let alone this season.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 12:54 PM
why yet? Why do we assume people will be able to replicate what Curry is doing? Magic was said to be the first of his kind when he played the point at 6'9 but that didn't become the norm despite people predicting it. IMO Magic was special and so is Curry. Shooting certainly is more valued today then ever but don't see a wave of Currys on the horizon.

Shooting improving is a trend we've been seeing, once something has been seen it becomes more common.

Magic is a bad example because 6'9" players were not really allowed to be Magic in college in the 80s, they were pushed toward being like Karl Malone. That said LeBron, Penny Hardaway, and Shaun Livingston had some Magic in them in being essentially tall cerebral PGs. Added on top of the fact that there are simply far fewer 6'9" people in the world.

KnicksorBust
03-03-2016, 12:57 PM

I love this post because I agree certain players are extremely hard to duplicate. Other than LeBron there has been nothing close to Magic in the last 30 years. It very well may be the same with Curry. The only shooters on his levels are pure shooters like Korver/Reddick who can't touch him with ball handling/passing/ability to finish at the rim.

Does 2x MVP Steve Nash qualify as "Curry like"? :)

KnicksorBust
03-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Shooting improving is a trend we've been seeing, once something has been seen it becomes more common.

Magic is a bad example because 6'9" players were not really allowed to be Magic in college in the 80s, they were pushed toward being like Karl Malone. That said LeBron, Penny Hardaway, and Shaun Livingston had some Magic in them in being essentially tall cerebral PGs. Added on top of the fact that there are simply far fewer 6'9" people in the world.

Livingston never should have been mentioned but Penny was a good reference.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Livingston never should have been mentioned but Penny was a good reference.

Did I say he was at Magic's level? No. I said he was a tall cerebral PG, as was Magic. Was any part of that untrue? Actually Magic didn't have a jump shot and neither did Livingston ... Livingston was more athletic but much lighter than Magic ... we have no idea what Livingston could have been if he didn't get his career derailed by injury ... not to say he could have ever come close to Magic's level though.

Phil Jackson notes a similarity between Curry and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and people lose their minds, but Jackson was right. There are similarities.

I'm sure there were other 6'7" or taller PGs in the interim too, but I don't remember them at the moment.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-03-2016, 02:39 PM
I love this post because I agree certain players are extremely hard to duplicate. Other than LeBron there has been nothing close to Magic in the last 30 years. It very well may be the same with Curry. The only shooters on his levels are pure shooters like Korver/Reddick who can't touch him with ball handling/passing/ability to finish at the rim.

Does 2x MVP Steve Nash qualify as "Curry like"? :)

Before the last two seasons Nash and Curry had a lot of similarities with Nash having a big passing edge. The big difference is that this season Curry (who was already a very good shooter) has raised his game/shooting so incredibly. It almost reminds me a of a good 25 homerun baseball player becoming a 50-60 home run player after taking steroids. I have never seen a player have a season shooting like Curry is having this season. I wonder how long he can keep this kind of shooting going.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Before the last two seasons Nash and Curry had a lot of similarities with Nash having a big passing edge. The big difference is that this season Curry (who was already a very good shooter) has raised his game/shooting so incredibly. It almost reminds me a of a good 25 homerun baseball player becoming a 50-60 home run player after taking steroids. I have never seen a player have a season shooting like Curry is having this season. I wonder how long he can keep this kind of shooting going.

Based on his last 4 seasons ... as his usage goes up his efficiency goes up (the opposite of most starters) ... so we have no idea where his ceiling is.

Chronz
03-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Ill make a comparison case for CP3. He and Curry are 1 and 2 in pts created off the bounce, Curry is just doing it at a level of efficiency we've never seen that puts more stress on the defense. But they both basically generate points and distort defenses with the threat of their dribbling/shooting, CP3 just does it from the mid range. He slightly makes up for it with his turnover rate but they're different players. CP3 did teach him a few things over the years.

tredigs
03-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Ill make a comparison case for CP3. He and Curry are 1 and 2 in pts created off the bounce, Curry is just doing it at a level of efficiency we've never seen that puts more stress on the defense. But they both basically generate points and distort defenses with the threat of their dribbling/shooting, CP3 just does it from the mid range. He slightly makes up for it with his turnover rate but they're different players. CP3 did teach him a few things over the years.
Different mentalities, though. Curry will always be looking to shoot/attack, and the fact that he doesn't average 25 fga/g is likely more of a result of how aggressively he is overplayed than anything else. I feel like CP3's offensive brilliance is that he's always looking to find the seam to get his teammates the easiest look. Both are obviously completely open and great at both scoring and playmaking, but their mentalities and best strengths are opposing there.

Dame's mentality is the closest to Curry's right now, but he's just a lesser version in terms of shooting efficiency, handling, playmaking and even defensively. The other guy we could mention would be Kyrie I guess.

Overall, though, we might not see a combination of 3pt shooting (with the degree-of-difficulty/range/volume/efficiency), ball handling, finishing ability and playmaking ability quite like this again. Not to say we will not see a different style of point be even more brilliant. There's plenty of ways to skin a cat (what a weird saying).

Gander13SM
03-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Curry is in a place very few reach, guys like Magic, Bird, Jordan. The type of guys that people might try to mimick but few will ever come close. He's unique.

I think there will be someone, a Kobe to his Jordan. But I don't think anyone will ever be the same or as effective.

I do think basketball is becoming more skill ball than it was in previous generations. The athleticism has improved in general but there's much less bully ball and much more finesse players. So I can see there being someone who might be a better volume shooter as a stand still sort of guy, catch and shoot. I can't envision another off the dribble shooter like Steph though.

And even then, shooting is what he does best, better than anyone in the history of the game. But that's not all he is, he's slowly becoming underrated in regards to his passing because they run a lot of sets with him off the ball and Draymond or Bogut being the primary handler. He's a gifted passer and has great court vision. He has the best floater in the league that doesn't belong to Tony Parker and he's great at finishing with his off hand. Not to mention the only guy with better handles is (arguably) Irving. He's an outright offensive monster. On top of all that he's yet to shake off the label of being a bad defender despite the fact I would comfortably argue he's better defensively than whatever guard ends up making the all-nba defensive 3rd team this year. He's much improved and gets little to no credit for it because people are desperately clinging on to any sort of criticism to knock the kids game. They pick the thing he does least well and try to claim it as a flaw when really it's just that he's ONLY "good" at it, as opposed to being "elite" like he is in every other area of the game.

I don't think we'll see anyone have this combination of skills AND production especially in regards to efficiency AND success. BUT we might see someone who comes close (as I said, a Kobe to his MJ).

Scoots
03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
On Curry's handles vs Irving ... I think Curry is now marginally better. Irving really uses his to get to the basket and at that he's better than Curry. But Curry uses his to get open, to get to the basket, and to get teammates open ... Curry's peak handle isn't as good as Irving, but I think overall to me he's slightly better than Irving.

Which is just another amazing thing about Curry this year.

ManningToTyree
03-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Nobody to this point