PDA

View Full Version : NBA Milestones in Today's Game

Wade n Fade
03-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Do individual NBA records, like top 50 scoring and three pointers made, suffer because how the game is played these days? With stretch fours, tick tacky foul calls, less hand checking, etc, does that mean making the top 50 scorers list is less meaningful? Or do we not celebrate these milestones enough?

Let's take say Joe Johnson as an example. Joe Johnson is top 50 in scoring and top 10 in threes. If anyone says JJ is a HoF, people would probably laugh. Melo isn't a HoF yet. T-Mac, AI, and Melo are known as high scorers. If someone said "take player A, who will be a top 50 scorer and top 10 player in made threes, they should be a hall of famer in theory." (Let's say that made up quote came from someone with creditability back in the 1970s.)

Is the game so different and so offensively heavy that milestones don't mean as much? Or are some of the names cracking these lists are just so niche specific that they cannot get too much recognition?

Chronz
03-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Without agreeing completely here, its true that we dont really celebrate these sort of milestones. Definitely not like baseball fans do and I for one appreciate that, to me it shows a certain level of intelligence. To me, stats should be used for analysis, and those raw numbers dont really provide much insight. These stats are more for trivia and for some players to look back on I guess. This is a sport where the guys with the highest FG% on the team could be its least efficient, the pace of play has changed so much that grabbing 10 rebounds today is more impressive than grabbing 14 in the 60's. So when we look at the statistical standings, its just not that important cuz we just see guys out of order contextually or they know the unimpressive career of those stat leaders.

I was thinking of Jamal Crawford the other day, hes never been an All-Star but his longevity, flash and chucking gamestyle will lead to lots of highlights and raw stats. At what point does he become a HOF? Never in my book but some people really value longevity.

Wade n Fade
03-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Without agreeing completely here, its true that we dont really celebrate these sort of milestones. Definitely not like baseball fans do and I for one appreciate that, to me it shows a certain level of intelligence. To me, stats should be used for analysis, and those raw numbers dont really provide much insight. These stats are more for trivia and for some players to look back on I guess. This is a sport where the guys with the highest FG% on the team could be its least efficient, the pace of play has changed so much that grabbing 10 rebounds today is more impressive than grabbing 14 in the 60's. So when we look at the statistical standings, its just not that important cuz we just see guys out of order contextually or they know the unimpressive career of those stat leaders.

I was thinking of Jamal Crawford the other day, hes never been an All-Star but his longevity, flash and chucking gamestyle will lead to lots of highlights and raw stats. At what point does he become a HOF? Never in my book but some people really value longevity.

I was expecting a Crawford post at some point because he is one of the best scorers throughout the last decade or so. But what would be the line be so we don't become like baseball? I agree stats should be used as numerical tools. Huge analytics fan, but I haven't studied them enough to understand what they discuss at Sloan every year lol.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Back when George Mikan was playing the offense was get-the-ball-to-george and there was no shot clock, no goal tending, no 3 second rule, no 3 point line, no dunking. The NBA has ALWAYS been changing.

Guys are scoring more than they have since the 90s, but scoring was high in the 80s when a lot of those records were set so it's not like the game is broken now, it was broken in the 90s :)

Chronz
03-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Good timing OP. They brought up Crawfords ranking in points scored during the Clipper-Thunder telecast. Pretty much wondering the same thing, like where he ranks for off the bench players.

jerellh528
03-03-2016, 02:44 AM
Yeah like the other day I looked at the all time 3pt shots made, and the top 10 had some pretty surprising names imo. Example, Jason terry was 3rd, Paul pierce 4th, Vince carter 6th,Jamal Crawford 7th, and joe Johnson 10th. I never really thought of these guys as prolific 3pt shooters. I'm goin to go out on a limb and say that top 10 list is going to look completely different in about 10 years

Scoots
03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah like the other day I looked at the all time 3pt shots made, and the top 10 had some pretty surprising names imo. Example, Jason terry was 3rd, Paul pierce 4th, Vince carter 6th,Jamal Crawford 7th, and joe Johnson 10th. I never really thought of these guys as prolific 3pt shooters. I'm goin to go out on a limb and say that top 10 list is going to look completely different in about 10 years

Considering that Curry is probably going to be well into the top 20 all time by the end of the year, and that there are 10 currently playing players above him ... yeah it's going to look different :)

Wade n Fade
03-03-2016, 11:42 PM

I saw the Jet as a great 3pt shooter, but that's surprising!

Wade n Fade
03-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Good timing OP. They brought up Crawfords ranking in points scored during the Clipper-Thunder telecast. Pretty much wondering the same thing, like where he ranks for off the bench players.

It always surprised me how Crawford hasn't been an all-star or given enough recognition. Coming off the bench makes him look even better. Good thing the Clips held onto him. He is like the best all time crazy shot maker.

Scoots
03-04-2016, 12:41 AM
It always surprised me how Crawford hasn't been an all-star or given enough recognition. Coming off the bench makes him look even better. Good thing the Clips held onto him. He is like the best all time crazy shot maker.

Yet another title Curry is going to take.