PDA

View Full Version : Where Would Old Timers rank with the 3-point line?

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2016, 05:39 PM
With the Big O's comments about Curry raising a firestorm among some fans, one has to wonder: how would we view guys like West, O, and eve Rick Berry (among others) had they played with a 3pt line.

When you consider that Barry made his living as a shooter, and that his career shooting was a .450, it makes you wonder what his 2pt% would be had they kept track of that. West had a few seasons around .500, meaning that he was as efficient from outside as some guys were in the paint. How many of the 50% shots would have been 3's today? The fact that he was efficient enough to warrant taking shots away from guys like Wilt, even though his shots were only worth 2 points, speaks volumes. Can you imagine how many shots they would have given him if his shots were worth 3? Or what his averages would have been?

Same goes for the Big O. He was at almost .49% on his career, and he was a shooter too (though my understanding of his game was that he was solid in the post (bigger than a lot of pgs) and could drive the lane as well. He averaged 30 points a game on 22 shots (Curry gets 30 on 20 shots). Could you imagine if some of those shots O was taking were worth 3 points as well? On top of that, he could draw fouls like it was nobody's business.

Would we see these players more favourably today had they had the 3pt shot?

Chronz
03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
You have to give them time to grow up with the line I think, that and the coaching just wasn't there. Had it been used since its inception then maybe we dont need to wait until the egg heads tell them 3 is worth more than 2.

That said, every perimeter player would be more efficient by default. But it would effect the leagues less capable players the most because they weren't able to manufacture closer looks. Jerry West had range, but he focused on high% looks that came from midrange. It was basically only Pistol Pete who openly bombed from ranges he had no business bombing from. Guys like Sam Jones, Chet Walker and West were the standard bearers in terms of perimeter shooting. They found ways to be super efficient in eras where usually only bigmen were.

Hawkeye15
03-01-2016, 05:50 PM
You have to give them time to grow up with the line I think, that and the coaching just wasn't there. Had it been used since its inception then maybe we dont need to wait until the egg heads tell them 3 is worth more than 2.

That said, every perimeter player would be more efficient by default. But it would effect the leagues less capable players the most because they weren't able to manufacture closer looks. Jerry West had range, but he focused on high% looks that came from midrange. It was basically only Pistol Pete who openly bombed from ranges he had no business bombing from. Guys like Sam Jones, Chet Walker and West were the standard bearers in terms of perimeter shooting. They found ways to be super efficient in eras where usually only bigmen were.

correct. I saw in like game 3 of the finals, that Curry had just hit more 3's in his playoff run, than all teams combined the first year it existed.

You left out Rick Mount. I can't imagine how many college records he would have set as untouchable, and prior to his injury, how many points he would have scored in the ABA. One of the greatest natural shooters the game has ever seen.

TheMightyHumph
03-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Knicks with Bradley, Debusschere and Lucas would have been interesting. They all shot from 3-point range.

valade16
03-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Knicks with Bradley, Debusschere and Lucas would have been interesting. They all shot from 3-point range.

Lucas' jumpshot was referred to as a "Lucas Layup" because of how often he could hit it. It would be an atypical team because their backcourt would not be nearly as good as their frontcourt from deep. Would have been awesome to see though.

Tony_Starks
03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Even with a line I can't see the old school coaches letting players run to the 3 point line on the break. That's almost blasphemous in that era.

Don Nelson really changed the game and then DAntoni took it to a different level as far as that goes.

He's a jerk of a pompous swindler but give DAntoni credit, he really revolutionized offensive strategy and pace to a certain degree.

Chronz
03-02-2016, 03:39 PM

Good call, I guess "corner men" would be the guys taking most of what would have been 3's back then.

JasonJohnHorn
03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Even with a line I can't see the old school coaches letting players run to the 3 point line on the break. That's almost blasphemous in that era.

Don Nelson really changed the game and then DAntoni took it to a different level as far as that goes.

He's a jerk of a pompous swindler but give DAntoni credit, he really revolutionized offensive strategy and pace to a certain degree.

I give credit to the 3-point game to Rudy T. The Rockets exploited that like nobody's business and even convinced Phil Jackson to go that route The Bulls second 3-peat posted WAY more 3's than the first one.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Pistol Pete becomes the GOAT cementing his legacy with an 82 point game on a just for men version of Clyde Frazier.

NetsPaint
03-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Could you imagine the offense of a "Pistol" Pete and Stephen Curry backcourt?

Chronz
03-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Pistol Pete becomes the GOAT cementing his legacy with an 82 point game on a just for men version of Clyde Frazier.

What was his career high in college? Think i remember someone breaking down the game and suggesting he could've cracked 90 or so