PDA

View Full Version : Ty Lawson bought out by Rockets

Nikeman
03-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Any predictions where he ends up?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14877542/houston-rockets-reach-buyout-settlement-ty-lawson

Knicks should be on this!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Bucks were linked to him before trade deadline. But we're out of the playoffs. Unless it's for a test drive to see if he fits the system. Even at vet minimum best to know now instead of over pay this summer then becomes a mistake we cant get rid of later on.

mrblisterdundee
03-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Lawson's skill set fits really well with Utah's needs. The Jazz are a borderline playoff team that needs a floor general and more offense. And if Lawson is coming on the cheap, why not take a chance?

Blink
03-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Detroit needs a backup but no way he would agree to that. Plus Jackson is already not a good defender. Lawson is about the same maybe even a little worse.

Saddletramp
03-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Lawson's skill set fits really well with Utah's needs. The Jazz are a borderline playoff team that needs a floor general and more offense. And if Lawson is coming on the cheap, why not take a chance?

I wonder if the Rockets organization told Lawson he'd only be bought out if he agreed not to sign with The Jazz (or any other possible playoff seed foe). Not enforcible and I doubt they would/could do something like but it wouldn't surprise me.

Iron24th
03-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Lawson's career could be over soon at this rate.

DboneG
03-01-2016, 06:29 PM
I agree...I think his career is on the rocks. I wouldn't touch him. But, then again, what could you lose..you are getting him for the low low.

Crackadalic
03-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Lawson would get 35 minutes on the knicks plus he is friends with Affalo and Melo from his denver days

Yeah he can go to a playoff team but that isn't helping him getting a long term contract in the summer

xxplayerxx23
03-01-2016, 08:09 PM
He should go where he can start. Utah/NY/Brooklyn I don't think playoff race matters I think mins do. I don't think Lawson just lost it I think rockets were a terrible fan

McAllen Tx
03-01-2016, 09:32 PM
I wonder if the Rockets organization told Lawson he'd only be bought out if he agreed not to sign with The Jazz (or any other possible playoff seed foe). Not enforcible and I doubt they would/could do something like but it wouldn't surprise me.

Im not sure him signing with Utah isnt the plan all along. If Houston really gonna try and make a push to get into the playoffs and a push in the playoffs why would they buy him out unless they gonna sign another player. If Houston makes the playoffs they lose their 1st rnd pick for Lawson, if they miss the playoffs they keep it. Not sure Houston wants to make the playoffs.

IndyRealist
03-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Im not sure him signing with Utah isnt the plan all along. If Houston really gonna try and make a push to get into the playoffs and a push in the playoffs why would they buy him out unless they gonna sign another player. If Houston makes the playoffs they lose their 1st rnd pick for Lawson, if they miss the playoffs they keep it. Not sure Houston wants to make the playoffs.

Mentioned this elsewhere. Houston is tanking to keep their pick, period. The pick has no backup clauses, if Houston misses the playoffs Denver gets nothing.

Saddletramp
03-01-2016, 10:29 PM

I've been hoping that they do miss the playoffs for a bit now. Not sure why he didn't get traded for anything if he was just going to be cut a week later. Makes no sense.

Tony_Starks
03-01-2016, 10:41 PM
I could swear before the season started that Morey was talking as if Ty may very well be the final key to the championship puzzle. There was also big talk about them finally having a legit pg to help Harden so he's not isolating with the ball so much....

Saddletramp
03-02-2016, 01:12 AM
I could swear before the season started that Morey was talking as if Ty may very well be the final key to the championship puzzle. There was also big talk about them finally having a legit pg to help Harden so he's not isolating with the ball so much....

Things don't always work out. I remember the Lakers were supposed to rival that Bulls record a few years back. And that Kobe's contract was supposed to be helpful for the team.

**** happens.

Tony_Starks
03-02-2016, 02:13 AM
Things don't always work out. I remember the Lakers were supposed to rival that Bulls record a few years back. And that Kobe's contract was supposed to be helpful for the team.

**** happens.

True that.

I'd like to hear that admission from your cocky gm tho....

( mine too for that matter)

dhopisthename
03-02-2016, 02:49 AM
I would be SHOCKED if he signed with the jazz. he was once asked what the one team he wouldn't want to play for and it was the jazz. plus the jazz probably don't want him around this young team.

mrblisterdundee
03-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Lawson would get 35 minutes on the knicks plus he is friends with Affalo and Melo from his denver days
Yeah he can go to a playoff team but that isn't helping him getting a long term contract in the summer

The Knicks are an interesting scenario. Maybe Lawson can sign for the veterans minimum, take a reasonable one-year contract in 2016-17 and prove he's back. But he could do better in Utah, if they'd have him.

Saddletramp
03-02-2016, 03:17 AM
True that.

I'd like to hear that admission from your cocky gm tho....

( mine too for that matter)

I bet it'd be "....well, on paper......I'm not the coach nor am I a player......"

Tony_Starks
03-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I bet it'd be "....well, on paper......I'm not the coach nor am I a player......"

Lol exactly.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2016, 12:59 PM
If he got bought out by a playoff team that is a bad sign. Still want to gamble on him with the Knicks. So desperate for good guard player on my team.

mngopher35
03-02-2016, 02:14 PM
I think Knicks should risk it too, I really don't see the downside on gambling to check if he fits (would be cheapish in off season if he's good enough to keep).

JasonJohnHorn
03-02-2016, 05:44 PM
It might sound odd, but I think GSW could use a point guard. Curry and Livingston are great, but when Curry is out, as he is from time to time, they need more options.

the problem is Lawson would't want to be a third string pg.

Maybe he'd be ok to be a back-up on a contender. But certainly not a 6-8 minutes kinda guy.

Somebody said Detroit. That makes the most sense to me if NY isn't interested. Maybe OKC wouldn't mind having him as a back-up, or LAC.

His size makes him a liability on D, and he isn't an efficient scorer... so I don't think he'll be a huge help.

Saddletramp
03-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Looks like he's going to be replaced with.......Michael Beasley!

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/03/rockets-to-sign-michael-beasley.html

Ahhhhh, FFS

eDush
03-03-2016, 01:57 AM
He can actually help the Blazers as Lillaird's backup or possibly the Bulls.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Didn't WOJ post Knicks or Bucks as top places Lawson wanted to play for? Last two teams lacking a PG.