PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Simmons- Greatest Story in Basketball

Tony_Starks
02-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Not sure of you're aware of his story but it's pretty great. Hustled against the odds to make it to the Spurs and is now a quality rotation player.

He went undrafted and struggled in the D league to the point where Coach Earl Watson had to buy him lunch, and even shoes. ( it's really cold what they pay those guys btw, that's another story).
Father of 4 daughters, lost his grandmother at a early age, from the hood.....all the pre-requisites to give up and fail.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/The-greatest-story-in-basketball-could-be-6857197.php?t=95cf8fc217927fc3fb

ewing
02-29-2016, 01:03 PM
that link is broke. If you have a another one post it. i'd like to read the story

Tony_Starks
02-29-2016, 01:24 PM
that link is broke. If you have a another one post it. i'd like to read the story

my bad, try now

ewing
02-29-2016, 01:27 PM
my bad, try now

thanks

Hawkeye15
02-29-2016, 02:12 PM
If you can't feed yourself, why are you having 3 babies when you are in college?

I love hearing these types of stories, but that part always makes me shake my head. Uh, you wouldn't be starving if you didn't make the CHOICE to have 3 kids when you had nothing.

Vinylman
02-29-2016, 02:40 PM
If you can't feed yourself, why are you having 3 babies when you are in college?

I love hearing these types of stories, but that part always makes me shake my head. Uh, you wouldn't be starving if you didn't make the CHOICE to have 3 kids when you had nothing.

Cmon dude what are you some kind of racist? :rolleyes:

It's not his fault he can't afford a jimmy hat ... its those damn republicans

Hawkeye15
02-29-2016, 03:12 PM

trailer parks are full of kids having kids too....

but yeah, it just blows my mind.

"Gee, my life is hard, I really want to make something of myself. Know what, I should pump out a couple kids, that should make it all easier"

KnicksorBust
02-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Yeah I agree with Hawk here. I'm supposed to be inspired by this kid who didn't take school seriously and had 3 kids without a job to support them. Come on. Hardly the greatest story in basketball.

Htownballa1622
02-29-2016, 06:01 PM
His high school was in my district. Really talented team but in a very rough neighborhood. His high school doesn't even exist anymore. They broke it up and shipped kids to different HISD(Houston independent school district )schools.

I played against him all throughout high school and in college. After college, we played in the same church league. Our team beat his and I remember him not being too happy about it.

He was easily the best guy there but I remember him getting frustrated by my draining 3s on his team. Haha.

Nice dude though.

Kush McDaniels
02-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Yeah I agree with Hawk here. I'm supposed to be inspired by this kid who didn't take school seriously and had 3 kids without a job to support them. Come on. Hardly the greatest story in basketball.

There's way too many NBA guys who had kids in High School. I would feel like my life was over if I have a kid, and I'm almost 26.

ewing
02-29-2016, 07:12 PM

http://www.tickld.com/gif/t/1037802

(sorry if i offend. i don't know if its true or not, but its funny :))

ewing
02-29-2016, 09:04 PM
His high school was in my district. Really talented team but in a very rough neighborhood. His high school doesn't even exist anymore. They broke it up and shipped kids to different HISD(Houston independent school district )schools.

I played against him all throughout high school and in college. After college, we played in the same church league. Our team beat his and I remember him not being too happy about it.

He was easily the best guy there but I remember him getting frustrated by my draining 3s on his team. Haha.

Nice dude though.

where'd you play college ball?

Htownballa1622
03-01-2016, 12:00 AM
where'd you play college ball?

I didnt. I was looked at by smaller schools around Texas but I went to university of Houston and Simmons was there one of the years I was. I mean more specifically played against him during and after college.

In leagues around houston, not for the actual university. Sorry I wasn't clear haha.

ewing
03-01-2016, 07:16 AM
I didnt. I was looked at by smaller schools around Texas but I went to university of Houston and Simmons was there one of the years I was. I mean more specifically played against him during and after college.

In leagues around houston, not for the actual university. Sorry I wasn't clear haha.

No problem. I went to Rutgers back in the day and worked out/played with those guys too. I'll be honest they were better then me. I played lower level before transferring there and it was a bit of a wake up call playing against some of those dudes. Dante Jones was on the team (later transfered to Duke) and you wouldn't believe how much better a jump shooter he was when my 5'10 white *** was the one making the contest :)

Vinylman
03-01-2016, 10:02 AM
trailer parks are full of kids having kids too....

but yeah, it just blows my mind.

"Gee, my life is hard, I really want to make something of myself. Know what, I should pump out a couple kids, that should make it all easier"

yeah .. I was joking around... knuckleheads come from every community and walk of life...

it is mind blowing though...