PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Robertson, proof that (ex)players should just stfu

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 12:47 PM
You would think that being an ex-player, he would be able to appreciate what this generation is doing. he's just sounding like a bitter old man at this point.

“He’s shot well because of what’s going on in basketball today,” Robertson said. “In basketball today, it’s almost like if you can dunk or make a three-point shot, you’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.

“There have been some great shooters in the past. … But here again, when I played years ago, if you shot a shot outside and hit it, the next time I’m going to be up on top of you. I’m going to pressure you with three-quarters, half-court defense. But now they don’t do that. These coaches do not understand the game of basketball, as far as I’m concerned.”

Kerr's response:
"Because athletes, you know, 50 years ago were much bigger, stronger and faster, more finely tuned," Kerr continued. "So Steph might not have made it in the league."

Then last nite:
Asked how the Thunder should've guarded Curry, Kerr responded "You guys should ask some of the old-time players, they have a better idea of how to guard Steph than the new coaches do. All of us new coaches have no idea what we're doing."

DanG
02-28-2016, 01:05 PM
With Steph it doesn't matter if you're on top of him or not, play half-court defense or whatever... he is going to get his shot anyway. I didn't think it was possible, but last night he pretty much played around with a 6'11 KD, 6'8 Singler and Westbrook a couple of times. He is probably the best ball handler in the NBA (not the flashiest) which allows him to create in any situation.

Some ex-players are just bitter. The game is softer, but that doesn't mean you don't have great players around anymore. That's why I like Magic so much, he always gives credit when credit is due to any player. He even tweeted if Curry keeps this up he has a chance to become the greatest player ever.

DanG
02-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 14m14 minutes ago
Never seen anything like SCurry? Remind you of Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a short but brilliant run in NBA?

:laugh:

kdspurman
02-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Not that I agree with what some of these guys say (some aren't all that crazy) but some of these guys are prideful athletes. And let's face it, the media blows things up in a way that probably rubs them the wrong way cause they start to feel underappreciated and/or disrespected.

So do they come off as bitter at times? Absolutely.. who's to say 30 years from now some of the guys playing now won't say similar things when the media makes a huge fuss about players at that time.

They're entitled to their opinions, regardless of how they sound at times.

Chronz
02-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Its actually a great comparison stylistically.

ball4reel
02-28-2016, 01:28 PM
what????

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Well... to be frank... the game was more physical in the 70's. Sports Illustrated had an article back then about the enforcers in the NBA. There were fights all the time (Kareem broke his forearm hitting a guy once). There were guys, like in hockey, who were essentially on the team to rebound and protect guys. It was very physical. So yes, guys like the Big O had to play against different defences.

As for shooting... you get great shooters like West, and he wasn't given as many shots as he would be today. A long distance shot was worth 2, and was hit at a lower percentage than a close range shot. The fact that West, who was a shooter, got as many shots as he did was just demonstrative of how good a shooter he really was. Even though his shots were worth two, he was still able to hit them with enough efficiency to make it worth while to take them.

Imagine if he were in the league today where those shots are worth three points.

The Big O played in an era where shooting wasn't rewarded, so it's likely frustrating for players who had a good shot to see players getting praised for something they were doing but weren't getting credit for, or for being given an advantage (in reference to the defensive rules) that allows them to showcase their game, where old timers he to play with guys that were allowed to be more physical and therefore couldn't show case their skill as much.

Bottom line, the Big O averaged a triple double. He was respected as one of the best defenders and scorers of his generation (if you speak to players). If he has some observations, I'm open to hearing them. And frankly, he has some interesting points.

It speaks to the intergenerational differences of the game and how the rules have changed the way people play. But he's right; people heaping praise on current players have to take into consideration the things that limited other players of the past, just like trend in the game have impacted players today. Nobody today, for instance, will average 50 points a game because nobody is going to average 48 minutes a game. The pace and coaching/player management approaches have changed to dramatically. Likewise, guards back then were never going to be able to put up numbers like Curry because they had no 3-pt line and defences were allowed to be a lot more aggressive.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 01:37 PM
I would say that you're bitter. Robertson never once questioned Curry. All Robertson said is that the defenses today aren't full court pressing him the entire game. Frankly he's right.

For the record curry can be defended. Jordan and Shaq were the best two offensive players I've seen. Hakeem was pretty good to and of the players today Durant about 3 years ago was way better than curry because Durant is 7 feet tall and his shot comes from 10 feet in the air so you can press him but he still might get the shot off. Curry on the other hand needs space to get his shot off because his shot is low and only about 5 feet in the air. It can be blocked if you're close on the defense. The problem is young kids don't learn defense today. They dont' teach that in AAU.

shaq is utterly useless beyond 5 feet and is only effective inside of 5ft because he creates space by barreling though the defender.
if the refs didn't give him preferential treatment and actually called those offensive fouls, he'd have nothing.

hakeem on the other hand, is a skilled big man.

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I would say that you're bitter. Robertson never once questioned Curry. All Robertson said is that the defenses today aren't full court pressing him the entire game. Frankly he's right.

For the record curry can be defended. Jordan and Shaq were the best two offensive players I've seen. Hakeem was pretty good to and of the players today Durant about 3 years ago was way better than curry because Durant is 7 feet tall and his shot comes from 10 feet in the air so you can press him but he still might get the shot off. Curry on the other hand needs space to get his shot off because his shot is low and only about 5 feet in the air. It can be blocked if you're close on the defense. The problem is young kids don't learn defense today. They dont' teach that in AAU.

ehhh it's not that simple fam.

If you play up on Steph he'll just pump or stutterstep to the side and get the shot off anyways. Sure he's short, but he has one of the quickest releases in the NBA, he's arguably the best ballhandler, he's got phenomenal court vision, and he has great touch around the rim.

Watch his highlights. You can be right up in his grill but he'll still drain the jumper in your face. You can't bite on his pumpfakes or else he'll blow right by you, so how does one guard him? Especially when he has range out to halfcourt?

Everything I just described is displayed in this highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zEyZx6kU0

He's the most unguardable player in the league today, no contest.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 01:39 PM
1) Defense in the NBA is "better" now as it's far more sophisticated. But it's also softer by rule and the old guard don't like it.

2) Abdul-Rauf is an apt comparison in a lot of ways.

3) I'm surprised Kerr is trolling the Big O like that.

4) On Curry's shot being low ... ask AD in the last second of the 3rd playoff game last year https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_908w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2015-04-24/Reuters/2015-04-24T051016Z_1596210465_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NBA-PLAYOFFS-GOLDEN-STATE-WARRIORS-AT-NEW-ORLEANS-PELICANS.jpg&w=1484

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2016, 01:40 PM

I agree with the sentiment here, but there are two things to consider.

One, even if you could defend Curry, the problem is not defending him, it's defending the Warriors. You put pressure on him, especially fully court, it's going to open things up for other players.

Second, what you are saying is that you can defend his shot, and that is true. He does need space, especially against taller players. However, you KNOW he's got the best handles in the league. If you pick him up at 27 feet (he's 37/52 from 27 feet out, or something like that), or even if you play him close 20-22 feet out, he's going to blow past you while you are back peddling and take you to the hole, where he's even more efficient. And when you do that, one of your teammates is going to have to help, which is going to open up Bogut, or Green, and then they make the extra pass to Thompson, and there' still either a high percentage 2, or 3 points play.

It's not a matter of putting a full court press on. That works in high school and even college, but when you do that in the NBA, it opens things up for a fast break.

So yes, you are right, you can defend Curry's 3pt shot. But in doing what you describe will need to be done, you end up opening yourself up to other attacks.

europagnpilgrim
02-28-2016, 01:46 PM

you obviously don't have a clue if you find that funny, dude was pure assassin from anywhere on the court, him and Iverson and few others off the bounce/crossover could get a shot off anywhere at any time and make it, the latter just played above the rim/attacked more early in his Georgetown and nba days

Chris Jackson was the man from distance, quick release and all, flame shooter

Curry has his father to thank also, who is one of the best pure shooters ever, in any era from any feet

that being said Curry is best shooter off the dribble pure natural wise we have all seen at this moment, but its been many spot up/screen user shooters who can stroke it right with him, including his current nba coach, all time season pct leader

curry has always had this crazy stroke and range, go back and watch him at Davidson, nothings change but the hype around him and the non ankle injuries

flea
02-28-2016, 01:47 PM
He's basically right, he's just mistaken as to the why. It's not because coaches are doing anything wrong, it's because the rules have almost completely outlawed perimeter defense. There is a totally different set of rules for ballhandlers and when you're below the FT line extended. That is the reason it's a slashing and 3s game instead of a more skilled one and that is the reason every defense is the same. The NBA decided it wanted to reward ballhandlers so it does. If you're any sort of ballhandler or shooter then this is the era for you.

I think people also don't realize sometimes how easy it is to shoot now. Sure the shooting may be better by a little than in the past, but it's only because guards have to do that now and the rules say you can't touch a guy off a screen nor can you get into his body on the jumper. It's amazing but that's what the NBA thinks is best for their product.

During the LSU-Florida game they had Bob Pettit talk to the announcers for a few minutes and they asked him about what Oscar said. And while he was much more mild-mannered about it, he basically said the same thing. Perimeter D is dead in the NBA, it's illegal and the players are unwilling to press/trap except in a few isolated instances, and literally nobody plays a full halfcourt defense. This is just what the NBA is and what college is trying to become (much to my chagrin). It's almost like the Harlem Globetrotters out there now with how much they let perimeter guys get away with.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 01:52 PM
It's not a matter of putting a full court press on. That works in high school and even college, but when you do that in the NBA, it opens things up for a fast break.

It even works in the NBA, but not when the team you are pressing has 6 guys who can handle the ball and make the right decision. The streak to start the season had a lot of teams taking the ball out of Curry's hands by being aggressive on him early on the floor and the rest of the team was just destroying teams early in games, then when they adjusted Curry would go to work with the shot again.

With the current rules it's just REALLY hard to stop Curry and this team.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 01:55 PM
I remember players from the 70's talking about Jordan and saying they would force him into traffic and then put flagrants on him to stop him.

The rules changes. The rules changes. The rules changes. The NBA, in an effort to make more money (which worked) decided to very harshly punish players who did that so now it's almost not done anymore. If your boss told you to hit someone you might do it ... but not if you knew it was going to cost you $500k to do it.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 01:59 PM
You are right about the rules, but you can still press up. Pippen did it even with some or many of the rules today during the very late 90's and even was pretty good on the ball in the early 2000's with 95% of the rules they have now.

these players today just don't like playing defense. It's not taught in AAU. Or even in college.

there are many things they can do. One is hard trap everytime they set a screen for Curry and back in the 90's they'd send the big 7'1 270 pounded over the top for a foul and knock him on the groun each time. Yes it's a foul on the team count, but you get 4 free fouls every quarter . That is 16 times they can hit curry pretty hard and I don't like getting into that type of talk, but if you want to win you can do it just don't cross the line. Which I'm fine with then as long as you don't cross the line. The dribbler is protected anyway more than the defensive player actually So I'm al for a tackle on the offensive player. So tackle Curry 16 times and lets see how good he is then.

Yes you can press, but the Warriors are VERY good at breaking presses and they like it when teams press them. It makes the game easier.

Curry is one of the best FT shooters in the game, you are saying a coach should give the Warriors 30 points in 16 possessions AND put their own team in a bad foul situation for the rest of the game. Curry is MORE efficient at the FT line than he is shooting on the court. And it's not like Curry hasn't proven that he's tough. Teams have been beating on him for years. I understand what you are saying but that's not a strategy any team is likely to employ.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 02:05 PM
So you honestly think that if Westbrook full court pressed curry and bumped him a little here and there and hand checked him with one hand and a bent elbow throughout the game that they would foul Westbrook out in the first quarter or second quarter. Think again. The players hold the abilty to change the rules and that is sort of what Robertson I think is elluding to. Players years ago in his time would just play the game the way they want the the refs would call it that way.

These players today confrom to easily as a group.

Shaq would honestly foul about 15 times every game but only get called for it maybe 4 times. He knew the league couldn't afford to foul him out. They would start losing money.

I responded to your quote about flagrant fouling Jordan, so don't take my response out of context.

I remember the Riley foul-on-every-second-of-every-play-they-can't-call-them-all defense. That defense is why the rules changes were put in place. I believe the refs would be fouling players out left and right.

If teams pressed full court on Curry all the time the Warriors would win more easily.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 02:09 PM
You are a Warriors fan so you will of course say the warriors are impossible to beat. Well they are not. The Thunder were up by about 15 points in the second quarter. why do you think that was?

Also the coaches from the 90's beat the Warriors like Van Gundy. He learned on the great 90's Knicks.

Also westbrook just isn't living up. Sure he likes to be a front runner against some back up on the Raptors or someone but everytime he plays a decent player he folds.

If I'm his coach I'm pretty upset at him right now and I'm going to let him know it because I think these players today are babied and everything.

I'm not just a Warriors fan, I'm a basketball fan. I've NEVER said anything approaching that the Warriors are impossible to beat. They've lost 5 times this year to lesser teams so clearly they are not perfect.

The Warriors were behind because the Thunder were playing well.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Ever heard of the "no layups" rules or the Jordan Rules??? If that was created today for curry all the little kids on social media wouldn't stop crying. In the 80's and 90's we didn't care about stuff like that. We liked it and it was a complement.

I remember those games too. I loved the Bad-Boy Pistons. Laimbeer stepping on peoples feet to keep them from jumping on rebounds. Mahorn just punching guys in the kidneys on every rebound.

Can't do that stuff anymore. Back then there were very few national games, now every single game is streaming. The NBA head office is watching and interacting live in every game with the refs.

No doubt the game is less violent ... but no player, no matter how "tough" is going to be able to force the game back to what it was. The NBA machine doesn't want it so it's not going to be allowed.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 02:15 PM
That Riley defense actually works. By rule and by job the refs are supposed to sort of call it even. So even if one team fouls one team about 60 times and the other team fouls them 20 times it will be called 20-25 or something.

Please find the rule where the refs are supposed to call a similar number of fouls on each team. I've seen games where one team gets wildly more fouls called than the other team.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Well... to be frank... the game was more physical in the 70's. Sports Illustrated had an article back then about the enforcers in the NBA. There were fights all the time (Kareem broke his forearm hitting a guy once). There were guys, like in hockey, who were essentially on the team to rebound and protect guys. It was very physical. So yes, guys like the Big O had to play against different defences.

As for shooting... you get great shooters like West, and he wasn't given as many shots as he would be today. A long distance shot was worth 2, and was hit at a lower percentage than a close range shot. The fact that West, who was a shooter, got as many shots as he did was just demonstrative of how good a shooter he really was. Even though his shots were worth two, he was still able to hit them with enough efficiency to make it worth while to take them.

Imagine if he were in the league today where those shots are worth three points.

The Big O played in an era where shooting wasn't rewarded, so it's likely frustrating for players who had a good shot to see players getting praised for something they were doing but weren't getting credit for, or for being given an advantage (in reference to the defensive rules) that allows them to showcase their game, where old timers he to play with guys that were allowed to be more physical and therefore couldn't show case their skill as much.

Bottom line, the Big O averaged a triple double. He was respected as one of the best defenders and scorers of his generation (if you speak to players). If he has some observations, I'm open to hearing them. And frankly, he has some interesting points.

It speaks to the intergenerational differences of the game and how the rules have changed the way people play. But he's right; people heaping praise on current players have to take into consideration the things that limited other players of the past, just like trend in the game have impacted players today. Nobody today, for instance, will average 50 points a game because nobody is going to average 48 minutes a game. The pace and coaching/player management approaches have changed to dramatically. Likewise, guards back then were never going to be able to put up numbers like Curry because they had no 3-pt line and defences were allowed to be a lot more aggressive.

no, guards back then were never going to put up numbers like curry because they can't shoot and score like curry.

btw, I know you see signs in the crowds with the letter D and a picture of a fence. it's a disservice to the youth who are just learning to spell, but the actually spelling is defense with an 'S', not 'C'.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 02:33 PM
There were players like Curry at shooting. Stockton for one. Stockton was a great scorer and shooter, but he chose to pass more than shoot. The %'s are about the same and how they could get their shot. Stockton was very clutch.

Price was a great shooter that if left open was about 65%. Granted he was only abotu 5'11 in real height.

KJ had a mid range game that would be called unstopable by kids today. I never call something unstopable, but KJ was about 60% on the mid range guarded or ungaurded.

Isiah could pretty much score 40 at the drop of a hat. Litterally. He chose to pass more however.

Achibald was lighting quick and led the league in scoring at 34 ppg and assists.

show me highlights of where stockton, price, KJ, isiah were scoring at the distances and angles and degrees of difficulty that curry does on a NIGHTLY basis.
show me stats of their shooting percentages beyond 35 feet.

stockton is a spot up shooter that only shoots when he's open, e.g. when malone kicks it out to him because he was doubled.
he was pretty crafty at getting into the paint, but he is nowhere near as refined as curry and doesn't finish better than him. he doesn't shoot from longer range, doesn't do step back, fadeaway off balance 3s.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm sure is Stockton wanted to shoot from 40 feet he could've. Anyone can. It's not that hard.

Stockton shot 58% a few seasons during his prime.

but once again you're only looking at it from one side. once again your'e forgetting that defenses didn't just let you shoot whenever like they do know.

riiiight.....
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

Chronz
02-28-2016, 02:55 PM
That Riley defense actually works. By rule and by job the refs are supposed to sort of call it even. So even if one team fouls one team about 60 times and the other team fouls them 20 times it will be called 20-25 or something.

Because if the margin gets too high then vegas starts calling the NBA. If one team gets called for 300 fouls in a series and the other team 100 times. All the fans will say it was rigged.

The point is that Robertson didn't say anything negative about Curry and didn't even go into what he'd really do as players. Yet kids and espn cry.

Nothing You said was true. The Jordan rules were pathetic because that's standard practice today.

Chronz
02-28-2016, 02:57 PM
I looked at the link, once again you're only looking at it from the offensive standpoint and not a defensive standpoint. I guess you don't remember the 80's and 90's and a big point guard was shoving you for 48 minutes and forcing you to drive, really daring you to drive and shoving you off your spot to make you drive to the 7 footers and enforcers. They would foul back then dude. They don't really foul you today unless you're like Dirk Nowitzki or someone and hated by 70% of the NBA.

Back in the 90's they didn't care if the center shot a three they would call him names and tell him to come inside and see what happens. back then it was all about intimidating. It was far more entertaining to the fan.

The Center, the Power Forward and the other Power Forward would be standing directly under the rim within 5 feet of the rim and daring you to drive and see what happens.

curry would not survive in a league like that.
Lmfao. All they would do it's isolate and watch as you can't zone up without doubling. Such a simplistic defense is Nothing to Curry

Chronz
02-28-2016, 02:59 PM
There were players like Curry at shooting. Stockton for one. Stockton was a great scorer and shooter, but he chose to pass more than shoot. The %'s are about the same and how they could get their shot. Stockton was very clutch.

Price was a great shooter that if left open was about 65%. Granted he was only abotu 5'11 in real height.

KJ had a mid range game that would be called unstopable by kids today. I never call something unstopable, but KJ was about 60% on the mid range guarded or ungaurded.

Isiah could pretty much score 40 at the drop of a hat. Litterally. He chose to pass more however.

Achibald was lighting quick and led the league in scoring at 34 ppg and assists.
More lies. Is that All you do, make up percentages. If isiah could do that why did he choose to miss so many of his ****** 3s?

Chronz
02-28-2016, 03:01 PM
they had shooters like that back then but back then if you shot a few threes like that then the next time down a Power Foward was going to knock you into the 5th row and then ask you if you feel like shooting again.

To which they would say yes and walk up to the ft line. You're talking about eras where twig boys got high percentage shots inn the paint. An era of fast pace basketball comprised of inferior athletes

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Then last nite:
Asked how the Thunder should've guarded Curry, Kerr responded "You guys should ask some of the old-time players, they have a better idea of how to guard Steph than the new coaches do. All of us new coaches have no idea what we're doing."

:laugh: :laugh:

Ok, so all you have to do is stay on him and don't give him space. It's weird that even after 4 seasons of record breaking 3pt shooting, nobody's figured out that what u gotta do is stick him, lmao. Thinking this boy doesn't ACTIVELY CREATE his own space even with 3 defenders watching him, be that while dribbling or off the ball,I don't know what the hell these dudes is watching.

Chronz
02-28-2016, 03:03 PM
The most I've ever seen was usually in the playoffs and it is usually when the refs are fixing it. There is a lot of money to be had in Vegas at playoff time.

But The most I've seen is like 29 fouls to like maybe 19 fouls of something like that. Most I've seen is a 10 foul gap. And believe it or not it's usually the team that is fouling more that gets called for less.
If i know Scoots. Here Will gladly not believe that bs

Scoots
02-28-2016, 03:06 PM
You can still do it. Well not punching the guy in the stomach or whatever you said mahorn would do, that would be crossing the line and would deserve a flagrant two.

But it is ok to foul a guy and sort of put him down on the ground. I'm not saying cross the line or haul off and hit him. I'm just saying wrap pull down moves.

Also the center can stand in the lane on defense. The three second call would go away so quick if I was a coach. I'd conceed 5 points to the refs. But after about the 5th one the refs would get tired of calling such a stupid rule that has no place in basketball.

I don't think it's true anymore with social media. The NBA would be forced to admit that the fouls should have been called and they would instruct the refs to make the calls. I don't think that would work long term anymore.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 03:06 PM
The most I've ever seen was usually in the playoffs and it is usually when the refs are fixing it. There is a lot of money to be had in Vegas at playoff time.

But The most I've seen is like 29 fouls to like maybe 19 fouls of something like that. Most I've seen is a 10 foul gap. And believe it or not it's usually the team that is fouling more that gets called for less.

So you can't find the "rule"?

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:08 PM
they had shooters like that back then but back then if you shot a few threes like that then the next time down a Power Foward was going to knock you into the 5th row and then ask you if you feel like shooting again.

Even if they had defenders doing that now, what would happen? That boy curry got the ball on a string, power forward would whiff and end up in the 5th row by himself, while Currys finishing at the rim.

lol, I get it used to be more physical, but dudes be acting like they used to play rugby, lmao, cmon now

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:11 PM
They weren't afraid to play very tight defense back then and hand check and force the player where they want them to go. You couldn't just dribble the ball out in front back then unless you were ultra athletic like Michael Jordan or Isiah. They would hand check dude and weren't afraid of getting blown by because they had Three Centers already standing in the lane. Tell me how curry is going to score over a center at 10 feet, a center at 7 feet from the rim and a center at 2 feet under the rim. He had to get past three shot blockers back then and skilled defenders that were big and tall.

Then also players didn't even care about someone that much that shoots. Because when they get they ball their self they would race down the court and feed the center for a 70% shot. They would simply OUT SCORE YOU! TOO.
you didn't have pg's playing ball hog and litterally giving the warriors the ball 26 times in the game like westbrook did last night.

Brother, if u got 3 centers on the floor,at once, curry would be averaging 65pts a game, haha, wtf are u talking about?

Chronz
02-28-2016, 03:12 PM
They weren't afraid to play very tight defense back then and hand check and force the player where they want them to go. You couldn't just dribble the ball out in front back then unless you were ultra athletic like Michael Jordan or Isiah. They would hand check dude and weren't afraid of getting blown by because they had Three Centers already standing in the lane. Tell me how curry is going to score over a center at 10 feet, a center at 7 feet from the rim and a center at 2 feet under the rim. He had to get past three shot blockers back then and skilled defenders that were big and tall.

Then also players didn't even care about someone that much that shoots. Because when they get they ball their self they would race down the court and feed the center for a 70% shot. They would simply OUT SCORE YOU! TOO.
you didn't have pg's playing ball hog and litterally giving the warriors the ball 26 times in the game like westbrook did last night.
They got rid of true hand checks in the 70s. Curry wouldn't give a **** about a single defender when he has to worry about superior athletes and rules that allow you to defend however you wish.

The center wouldn't be where you say if you simply move your bigs to the 3pt line. At that point the center has to follow his man regardless of whether he could shoot or not. At that point the dense would have to choose to double or let Curry play 1v1. No such thing as sagging all game

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:12 PM
you have a very amateur view of things. They have yet to post him for 48 minutes. POST HIM AND WEAR HIS *** DOWN!! Westbrook started out doing that and then lost track of the game plan apparently. The Thunder had a 18 point lead when Westbrook was posting curry on every shot and The big Aussie was posting up inside too.

Why not post up for 48 minutes and win the game 100-80? What is so bad about that?.... BUT BUT BUT AAU didn't like us posting up.

Ahh, true true. Why don't you call up Buss and get a job? Then we'll see Curry get worn down. If only NBA coaches knew half as much as you.

btw, u kinda took a turn there, not sticking with the power forwards sending a guy they can't even touch into the 5th row anymore?

Chronz
02-28-2016, 03:14 PM
you have a very amateur view of things. They have yet to post him for 48 minutes. POST HIM AND WEAR HIS *** DOWN!! Westbrook started out doing that and then lost track of the game plan apparently. The Thunder had a 18 point lead when Westbrook was posting curry on every shot and The big Aussie was posting up inside too.

Why not post up for 48 minutes and win the game 100-80? What is so bad about that?.... BUT BUT BUT AAU didn't like us posting up.
Because posting up wears down more than just the defender.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 03:16 PM
If i know Scoots. Here Will gladly not believe that bs

I decided there was no recovering Stallone. Too many shots to the head I think.

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:18 PM
They got rid of true hand checks in the 70s. Curry wouldn't give a **** about a single defender when he has to worry about superior athletes and rules that allow you to defend however you wish.

The center wouldn't be where you say if you simply move your bigs to the 3pt line. At that point the center has to follow his man regardless of whether he could shoot or not. At that point the dense would have to choose to double or let Curry play 1v1. No such thing as sagging all game

No no, they'll all be waiting for curry at 10, 7, and 2. Plus the power forward trying to send him to the 5th row. And obviously, the guy actually guarding Curry. You know, just ur standard 5 on 1 defense, lol

Scoots
02-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Stallone, you are either nuts or a troll. You wanted to see a box score with a difference of 10 FTAs ... the Warriors 2nd game of the season, 3rd game of the season, 9th game of the season, then just to rub it in in the 10th game of this season for 1 team the difference was 20 FTA.

Literally 40% of the box scores I looked at had a FTA difference of 10 or more.

You said the FTA balance was a rule ... I knew it was a prevarication but I wanted to give you some rope. But you just decided that you never said it.

When you are going to make stuff up don't make it so easy to disprove.

IndyRealist
02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Stallone you're smoking crack if you think Westbrook is 30lbs heavier than Curry. They're roughly the same height.

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
HAHAHA, Stallone, ur a mess bro!! What if ANYONE broke every bone in ANYONES face? I'm sure players played like that on a nightly basis back in the 70's cuz u know, so tough! Haha, Stallone, ur ****in awesome tho!! :cheers: I meant it!

valade16
02-28-2016, 03:28 PM
scoots you also ran off and never answered my question of why westbrook started his team out with a nearly 20 point lead. You gave a dumbass amateur answer that they played better.

You're proof the Warriors can be stopped is a game in which they won

nastynice
02-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Stallone you're smoking crack if you think Westbrook is 30lbs heavier than Curry. They're roughly the same height.

He's significantly stronger. I'll concede stallones point there, Westbrook was able to bully curry a few times to the basket. Now wether that's gonna make him all of a sudden forget how to shoot or not, well I don't agree with sly Stallone on that. But hey.

Haha, my man got us tho, he cool. He cool in my books

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm sure is Stockton wanted to shoot from 40 feet he could've. Anyone can. It's not that hard.

Stockton shot 58% a few seasons during his prime.

but once again you're only looking at it from one side. once again your'e forgetting that defenses didn't just let you shoot whenever like they do know.

?

valade16
02-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Blazers beat the warriors by 30 points

I'm a Blazers fan. I'm aware. Even the best teams lose.

The 72-10 Bulls lost 104-72 to the Knicks.

jason
02-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Huge troll is trolling right now lol

IndyRealist
02-28-2016, 03:42 PM
He's significantly stronger. I'll concede stallones point there, Westbrook was able to bully curry a few times to the basket. Now wether that's gonna make him all of a sudden forget how to shoot or not, well I don't agree with sly Stallone on that. But hey.

Haha, my man got us tho, he cool. He cool in my books

There is zero chance Westbrook outweighs Curry by 30 lbs. They're the same height. He's just making sh#t up.

IndyRealist
02-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Huge troll is trolling right now lol
I'm guessing all 39 of his posts are in this thread.

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Blazers beat the warriors by 30 points

one game, where lillard was lights out. Curry performs like that every other game.

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm guessing all 39 of his posts are in this thread.

you are correct sir.

valade16
I think I'll take Oscar Robertson's opinion over any of you clowns.

And I'll take Magic Johnson's opinion over Oscar's:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25498286/look-the-nba-world-lost-its-twitter-mind-over-steph-curry-saturday

'Curry has a chance to be the best player ever.'

SeoulBeatz
..... aaaaand he's banned.

lol.

IndyRealist
02-28-2016, 04:00 PM

lol.

Hopefully they banned his real account too.

Scoots
02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
players are not more athletic today in the NBA. look at curry he's not athletic.

I was a little sad Stallone's banning made his posts disappear ... but it's okay, he's back already.

IKnowHoops
02-28-2016, 04:27 PM
players are not more athletic today in the NBA. look at curry he's not athletic.

Curry is more athletic than Bob Cousy.

I don't mind the hate Curry is getting from the old school players. It happens every time.

One thing that remains true is this...

When old school players start hating on you, that's when you know you are the best!

Happened to Jordan, Bron, and now Curry. Welcome to the club Curry. You've earned it.

Shady66
02-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Who the **** are you? You stfu

Sportsguy9695
02-28-2016, 05:22 PM
I think Oscar is just a bitter old man and not happy that the media didnt cover him like they are cover the guys of today. Ill agree sometimes it feels like they never get a break and the media is always in there face. so Oscar should be happy a little that he didnt have to deal with the media right after a tough loss like the stars of today have to deal with. and defense is less physical today because you cant put a hand on somebody while playing defense or youll get called for a foul

eDush
02-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Oscar was wearing short shorts when he played and he has the nerve to trash Steph. Very odd...

nastynice
02-28-2016, 07:10 PM

lol.

nooo!! I liked stallone. He legitimately made my morning this morning. Dude had me rolling, haha. He was just throwin blind haymakers everywhere, lol

nastynice
02-28-2016, 07:13 PM
There is zero chance Westbrook outweighs Curry by 30 lbs. They're the same height. He's just making sh#t up.

sure, I don't know about outweighing him by 30 pounds. But he was certainly able to bully Curry on his way to the basket on a couple occassions. I don't take it as a knock on Curry, he is who he is, he's not elite at EVERY aspect of the game. He is elite at MANY aspects, however.

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2016, 08:25 PM
shaq is utterly useless beyond 5 feet and is only effective inside of 5ft because he creates space by barreling though the defender.
if the refs didn't give him preferential treatment and actually called those offensive fouls, he'd have nothing.

+1

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2016, 08:32 PM
no, guards back then were never going to put up numbers like curry because they can't shoot and score like curry.

btw, I know you see signs in the crowds with the letter D and a picture of a fence. it's a disservice to the youth who are just learning to spell, but the actually spelling is defense with an 'S', not 'C'.

Maybe that's how you spell it in America my friend. But not where I live. DEFENCE!!!

How about instead of condescending somebody, you bother looking the information up yourself. I never correct people on spelling defence with an 's' because I know that's how Yankees spell it, despite the fact it was originally spelled with a 'c'.

And why are we even talking about spelling? Do you know how many spelling/grammar mistakes there are online? We aren't submitting to SI here.

Kush McDaniels
02-28-2016, 09:33 PM
These oldtimers need to chill. Today the talent pool is so much larger than it was in the 60's/70's/80's/90's and it's only going to continue to grow and get better. Guys are way more finely tuned in their skills and conditioning. God forbid rule changes benefit those with skill. There's less room on rosters these days for guys without skills.

Mr_Jones
02-28-2016, 09:55 PM

I agree completely. Though, do you see the comparison between Shaq/Lebron?

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Maybe that's how you spell it in America my friend. But not where I live. DEFENCE!!!

How about instead of condescending somebody, you bother looking the information up yourself. I never correct people on spelling defence with an 's' because I know that's how Yankees spell it, despite the fact it was originally spelled with a 'c'.

And why are we even talking about spelling? Do you know how many spelling/grammar mistakes there are online? We aren't submitting to SI here.

wasn't being condescending towards you in specific and i did not know that was the queens english so i stand corrected.

eDush
02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Most Heat fans are English teachers so they do feel compelled to correct misspelled words.

numba1CHANGsta
02-28-2016, 11:33 PM
I agree in some degree, yes many players think they're a great player cuz they can do amazing dunks or hit 3's but theres more to basketball than that. Many players are too busy worrying about hitting a 3 or dunking the ball in a fancy way than other aspects to the game. BUT Curry is not a one or two dimensional player, he can do it all on offense, whether it's close-mid-long-super long range shots, he shoots 3's because he can and is very efficient in doing so.

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2016, 05:05 PM
wasn't being condescending towards you in specific and i did not know that was the queens english so i stand corrected.
Sorry... it came across as condescending when I read it.

Peace!

Chronz
03-01-2016, 05:31 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions, I just wish people would stfu about their background and why they are entitled to a superior opinion just because they hit the genetic lottery that allowed them to play a ****ing game. Newsflash children, this aint rocket science. Some of the games dumbest minds were its best players and some of its best minds were from guys who never made it to the NBA.

Whats sad is that we have so few students of the game that they openly bow down to the opinion of others. Whats it called, the false god fallacy or some ****. If you're a TRUE student of the game, you would know why not to take players at face value. Peer review isn't meaningless, but its not the most important element of acknowledging history.

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2016, 11:10 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions, I just wish people would stfu about their background and why they are entitled to a superior opinion just because they hit the genetic lottery that allowed them to play a ****ing game. Newsflash children, this aint rocket science. Some of the games dumbest minds were its best players and some of its best minds were from guys who never made it to the NBA.

Whats sad is that we have so few students of the game that they openly bow down to the opinion of others. Whats it called, the false god fallacy or some ****. If you're a TRUE student of the game, you would know why not to take players at face value. Peer review isn't meaningless, but its not the most important element of acknowledging history.

Yeah.. I find this to be true in a lot of instances. Some guys opinions matter more because they are better students of the game.

Is Jerry West has something to say, I listen. Not only was he likely the third best guard to ever play the game, but he's the best scout in the history of the league. Nobody has ever done as much with the draft as he has. He knows how to evaluate talent.

But then you hear some guys today say how awesome Iverson was (and I know he's a polarizing player in this forum). When a player is on the floor, they know that sometimes a shot goes down, and sometimes it does. What impresses them is guys who can break down a defender and get an open look. If they get beat on a play, they're like: Man, that guy beat me on the play. He missed the shot, yes, but he shook me off and got an open look.

Iverson was great at that. He just missed a lot of shot. The impression players come away with is: Iverson knew how to break down defenses. The impression a GM comes away with is: this misses 6/10 shots, gambles on defense, and gives up too much size to other shooting guards on D.

Sometimes players have skewed views for reasons like that. They appreciate certain skills more than fan/scouts do.