PDA

View Full Version : Could the Celtics grab the 2nd seed in the East?

Vampirate
02-27-2016, 09:15 PM
That team is probably going to give the Raptors headaches in the next few years.

hugepatsfan
02-27-2016, 09:18 PM
That'd be some accomplishment. Can't really say that it has any realistic chance of happening.

Bostonjorge
02-27-2016, 10:02 PM
2nd seed will be tough. I take Celtics over the raps in a 7 game series.

dalton749
02-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Could the 10th seed wizards grab the 3rd seed?

Sportfan
03-04-2016, 04:17 AM
That team is probably going to give the Raptors headaches in the next few years.

2 seed is way out of reach. Raptors have it locked up.

That being said, you might be thinking too long term. Celtics are a much bigger problem right now than you think

Scoots
03-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Sure they could. But it's not likely.

Heck, the Spurs are closer to the Warriors than the Celtics are to the Raps ... does anyone think the Spurs are LIKELY to win the west?

bucketss
03-04-2016, 02:09 PM
we will probably meet in the 2nd round (unless raps choke again :o ) should be a fun series!, but in terms of regular season theres now way the can catch up.

celticsman2009
03-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Celtics are 4.5 games back of Toronto. It's possible, but probably won't happen.

MonroeFAN
03-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Seems unlikely.

Green_Monster
03-04-2016, 03:20 PM
we will probably meet in the 2nd round (unless raps choke again :o ) should be a fun series!, but in terms of regular season theres now way the can catch up.

No way? It's unlikely, but there's a chance. They're 4.5 games back with two games left against the Raptors.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-04-2016, 03:37 PM
No way? It's unlikely, but there's a chance. They're 4.5 games back with two games left against the Raptors.

There's like a 15-18% chance (forgot the exact # but it was in that range) that you catch up to the Raptors per 538 projections. Which was basically around the same odds the Spurs win the West over the Warriors. The Raptors actually had better odds of catching the Cavs than the Celts catching the Raptors (makes sense, they're closer). Also, they're 6 games back in the loss column, which is more significant since the Raptors don't lose often. That's a lot to make up. Certainly makes it much tougher than you're trying to indicate. And for reference, the difference between the Celts in the loss column and the Raps is like the same as the Celts and the 9th seed. Something tells me you think there's no chance they drop out of the playoffs. (which there isn't but there's also very little chance they catch the Raptors unless they collapse)

Also, you point out they still have 2 games left but are forgetting they've already lost twice to the Raptors, therefore eliminating the chance they can own the tiebreaker. I'm not sure what the 2nd tiebreaker is after H2H but that H2H tiebreaker is out of the window.

Green_Monster
03-04-2016, 04:32 PM
There's like a 15-18% chance (forgot the exact # but it was in that range) that you catch up to the Raptors per 538 projections. Which was basically around the same odds the Spurs win the West over the Warriors. The Raptors actually had better odds of catching the Cavs than the Celts catching the Raptors (makes sense, they're closer). Also, they're 6 games back in the loss column, which is more significant since the Raptors don't lose often. That's a lot to make up. Certainly makes it much tougher than you're trying to indicate. And for reference, the difference between the Celts in the loss column and the Raps is like the same as the Celts and the 9th seed. Something tells me you think there's no chance they drop out of the playoffs. (which there isn't but there's also very little chance they catch the Raptors unless they collapse)

Also, you point out they still have 2 games left but are forgetting they've already lost twice to the Raptors, therefore eliminating the chance they can own the tiebreaker. I'm not sure what the 2nd tiebreaker is after H2H but that H2H tiebreaker is out of the window.

Makes it tougher than I'm trying to indicate? I said unlikely, which I think a 15-18% chance would fall under, and maybe even be better than.

I'm not looking at the difference in the loss column between the Celtics and the 9th seed. Games behind is much more relevant because, well, it's how far behind you are. Looking at the loss column only takes into account half of it.

The tiebreaker would be division won-lost percentage. Once again, I didn't say it was likely.

TylerSL
03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Boston is damn good but I'd bet they will end up #4. Miami's schedule looks easier down the stretch and the Heat have been dominant in the second half, even without Bosh. Also Miami has the easier schedule so if I had to bet I'd say the top 4 will end up

1. Cleveland
2. Toronto
3. Miami
4. Boston

who is going to be 5-8 is the real question.

mrblisterdundee
03-04-2016, 05:04 PM
I think the Celtics will finish third after the Cavaliers and Raptors.
Boston has a slightly tougher schedule than Toronto over the remainder of the season, including one more away game and a five-game road trip including a the Clippers, Blazers and Warriors all in a row. The Celtics have to play at both Cleveland and Oakland, while Toronto doesn't play either team again.

Forever35
03-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Would be a great story if the C's could pull that off, but losing the first 2 meetings to Toronto is big... IMO what matters the most is staying away from Cle as long as possible in the playoffs... I'd love a crack at Toronto to get to the Conference finals...

bagwell368
03-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Celts chances look better than they are fueled by the recent home games.

I think 2nd is less likely than 4th. They probably end up 3rd.

Ainge and Stevens have done a good job given the situation, but that doesn't get this team to the ECF this year.

Necrosis
03-05-2016, 11:40 AM
If the raptors get last year's playoff DC back, not the banged up version, I think the cavs are going to have a hard time with them. DC is a legitimate starter and vet.

Vee-Rex
03-05-2016, 12:28 PM
If the raptors get last year's playoff DC back, not the banged up version, I think the cavs are going to have a hard time with them. DC is a legitimate starter and vet.

I think he's overrated. Lebron was torching him even before he got banged up.

phantasyyy
03-05-2016, 02:21 PM
I think he's overrated. Lebron was torching him even before he got banged up.

He was one of their most consistent players up until his injury in the 4th Q of game 1. Afterwards it was clear that the injury was affecting him but with nobody else to stop James he did play in the last remaining games. Korver was also lost for the rest of the series after game 2 as well so that could contribute to his putrid numbers he put up also.

I mean in game 1 he did do a decent job on Bron even though he got his 31points he did shoot 12/26.

That said, DC hasnt shot well this year at all.. his shooting %s are down, and he still needs to time to get into game shape before the playoffs rolls around. That said...Cleveland is like the worst of the Raptors fears at the moment, come playoff time we just become too predictable and easy to shut down so finally getting past the first round would be success/accomplishment at this stage in time.

Getting DC back soon is crucial though, without him we are stuck with Demar/Ross guarding SF's where they are just too small to handle the banging and playing James Johnson at the 3 shrinks the floor and stagnates offence

FOXHOUND
03-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Ainge and Stevens have done a good job given the situation, but that doesn't get this team to the ECF this year.

Idk, I think 2nd seed is key. I can see them upsetting Toronto in the 2nd round, particularly in having a great defensive backcourt against a team who relies so heavily on it's starting backcourt doing ISO everything. It's been Toronto's kryptonite the past two postseasons and I'm not sure they've solved that issue.

eDush
03-05-2016, 06:44 PM

Idk, I think 2nd seed is key. I can see them upsetting Toronto in the 2nd round, particularly in having a great defensive backcourt against a team who relies so heavily on it's starting backcourt doing ISO everything. It's been Toronto's kryptonite the past two postseasons and I'm not sure they've solved that issue.

I take Raptors I've Boston in any 7 game series with a back court like Derozen and Lowry, the most underrated tandem in he league:clap:

Sportfan
03-05-2016, 08:46 PM
I take Raptors I've Boston in any 7 game series with a back court like Derozen and Lowry, the most underrated tandem in he league:clap:

The first time they played the Celtics lineup was Smart-Bradley-Crowder-Lee-Zeller. Considering Zeller is much better off the bench against smaller lineups and Bradley plays much better with a ballhandler (IT) next to him, I can't overstate how much of an improvement the current lineup is over that. The 2nd game was in Toronto and came down to the wire. Boston/Toronto will be a good series regardless, I'd favor the Raps but it won't be easy

aman_13
03-05-2016, 08:56 PM
The first time they played the Celtics lineup was Smart-Bradley-Crowder-Lee-Zeller. Considering Zeller is much better off the bench against smaller lineups and Bradley plays much better with a ballhandler (IT) next to him, I can't overstate how much of an improvement the current lineup is over that. The 2nd game was in Toronto and came down to the wire. Boston/Toronto will be a good series regardless, I'd favor the Raps but it won't be easy

It would be a really good series.

The Atlantic division looks a little more respectable lol.

eDush
03-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Boston needs some love as in K Love to go far in the playoffs:nod: