PDA

View Full Version : J J wavied by Nets - Expected to sign with Heat

Dade County
02-25-2016, 04:35 PM
The Brooklyn Nets announced Thursday afternoon that they've waived former All-Star guard Joe Johnson.

Earlier Thursday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that the two sides had opened buyout negotiations.

Sources said that Johnson had been sold on the idea of making a late-season switch and joining a contender for the stretch run if he and the Nets can come to terms on a contract settlement.

A number of likely playoff teams, sources said, are already pursuing Johnson: Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, Oklahoma City and Toronto.

Since Johnson was released by new Nets general manager Sean Marks by Tuesday, he'll be playoff eligible for his next team.

"Joe has been a quality professional since joining the Nets four years ago, was a valued member of three playoff teams, and provided many thrilling moments for his teammates and Nets' fans. We wish him much success in the future," Marks said in a statement.

Johnson, 34, is earning $24.9 million this season in the final year of a mammoth six-year, $124 million deal that was the league's largest at the time when he signed it with the Hawks in 2010. Brooklyn absorbed the remaining four years and $89.3 million left on Johnson's deal -- soon followed by the acquisitions of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett -- in a bid to first convince then-franchise point guard Deron Williams to stay with the Nets and then to make a run at the NBA championship that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov vowed to win within the space of five years.

But the Nets have won only one playoff series after acquiring Johnson and don't have control of their own first-round pick until June 2019.

Setting Johnson free is the second significant move for Marks in his first week-plus on the job after Brooklyn released veteran forward Andrea Bargnani.

Johnson, who is averaging 11.8 points on 40.6 percent shooting but has seen an uptick in his performance of late, has been best known for his game-winning shots at the buzzer in Brooklyn. He has seven of them in the past decade, which accounts for the the most by any NBA player over that span by a wide margin, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Information from ESPN.com's Mike Mazzeo was used in this report.

Dade County
02-25-2016, 04:39 PM
I say, Cavs, HEAT or OKC...

In that order.

IndyRealist
02-25-2016, 04:40 PM
7 buzzer beaters in 10 years is the most in the nba? With the value people seem to place in it, you'd think someone hit them 20 times a season.

Nikeman
02-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Nets just released him, allowing him to sign with a team and be eligible for their playoff run.

I see the most value for him in OKC, where he would get big minutes. With Cleveland having JR smith and Shump at the SG spots I don't think they need as wing help.

JJ is 34 but still a decent player who can help a team. I personally got him in OKC. The amount of open shots he'd get playing with westy and Durant he could become a 15 ppg guy.

numba1CHANGsta
02-25-2016, 05:03 PM
The best fit for him is OKC, but knowing how players like riding the LeBron bandwagon he'll end up in CLE

RLundi
02-25-2016, 05:04 PM
I could see Cleveland or LAC making an offer.

Corey
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Boston is interested but I dont see it happening

Hawkeye15
02-25-2016, 05:06 PM
7 buzzer beaters in 10 years is the most in the nba? With the value people seem to place in it, you'd think someone hit them 20 times a season.

dude, thank you. I love when people try to cram it down your throat that hitting a shot that comes up once ever 20-40 games, with 1/150th of the time in a game, should even possibly matter when evaluating a player.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2016, 05:06 PM
he would be a great fit for OKC. They really need some scoring options at the 2

SensandRaps
02-25-2016, 05:14 PM
this is a guy i would love for the raps to add, would be able to provide some bench scoring, can start now without carroll and would still get minutes when carroll comes back since casey likes to run small ball

that being said i expect him to sign with the cavs, maybe okc or even spurs

CHANGO
02-25-2016, 05:20 PM
If he wants to be a big part of a team he needs to go to OKC, they need a SG/SF badly. Raptors and HEAT can also use him. If he wants a big role not sure why he is considering the Cavs, they already have Shumpert, JR at SG and Lebron/Jefferson at the SF position. HELL the Cavs are struggling trying to play Mozgov now with Thompson being the starter and Frye coming in.

I hope he comes to the HEAT if not hopefully he will go to OKC and help them out.

Clint Olbrock
02-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Nets just released him, allowing him to sign with a team and be eligible for their playoff run.

I see the most value for him in OKC, where he would get big minutes. With Cleveland having JR smith and Shump at the SG spots I don't think they need any wing help.

JJ is 34 but still a decent player who can help a team. I personally got him in OKC. The amount of open shots he'd get playing with westy and Durant he could become a 15 ppg guy.

How do you figure the Cavs don't need any wing help but OKC does?

OKC just got their starting 2 guard back in Roberson last night, they just traded for the combo guard Foye a week ago, they got Waiters doing whatever it is he does, Morrow been seeing minutes lately at both wing spots, Kyle Singler plays and of course Durant.

The Cavs have LeBron, JR and Jefferson(who has actually been having a pretty good February). Outside of that Shump has missed the last 3 games because he injured his shoulder(again), Mo has been dealing with various injuries for months, Delly is on a minutes restriction(hamstring injury) but all his minutes have to come at the 1 since Mo is hurt.

LeBron was literally just complaining a couple days ago to the media about being fatigued(due to our lack of depth). Joe could come in right now and take all of Shump's minutes while he is out hurt and any minutes Delly would normally fill if not on a minutes limit. Once Shump gets back healthy, Joe can take all of Jefferson's minutes at the back up 3, he can take any minutes Delly would play at 2 and he can cut LeBron's minutes down from the 38 MPG he's been averaging lately, plus situationaly maybe eat into some of Shump's minutes(who has been about as bad as Waiters on offense, that may even be giving Shump too much credit).

Now, I do think he could go into OKC and be the 2nd best wing behind Durant hands down. I'm also not saying he won't end up there(since it's so close to where he grew up and played college ball; plus they can pay him the most). But I'm just saying, the Cavs do need wing help/depth and to say otherwise is inaccurate.

mngopher35
02-25-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm hoping for one of Cavs, OKC, or Clips to pick him up. Help one of them inch a little close to Warriors/Spurs.

Pfeifer
02-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Would be perfect for Toronto.

Wade n Fade
02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Joe Johnson is a lucky man. Getting paid by the Nets, getting vets min (I think they might mitigate some of it from his buyout since he might have a contractual duty to seek similar employment), and moving to a contender of his choice. He is still a good piece for a contender too. I want him to go to Toronto, Miami, or OKC.

beasted86
02-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Clippers or Thunder are his best chances at contending and play time.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Joe Johnson is a lucky man. Getting paid by the Nets, getting vets min (I think they might mitigate some of it from his buyout since he might have a contractual duty to seek similar employment), and moving to a contender of his choice. He is still a good piece for a contender too. I want him to go to Toronto, Miami, or OKC.

he has been paid just short of $200,000,000 after this season ends, to be a bottom tier all star level player at best. He HAS been a lucky man....

IndyRealist
02-25-2016, 06:59 PM
How do you figure the Cavs don't need any wing help but OKC does?

OKC just got their starting 2 guard back in Roberson last night, they just traded for the combo guard Foye a week ago, they got Waiters doing whatever it is he does, Morrow been seeing minutes lately at both wing spots, Kyle Singler plays and of course Durant.

The Cavs have LeBron, JR and Jefferson(who has actually been having a pretty good February). Outside of that Shump has missed the last 3 games because he injured his shoulder(again), Mo has been dealing with various injuries for months, Delly is on a minutes restriction(hamstring injury) but all his minutes have to come at the 1 since Mo is hurt.

LeBron was literally just complaining a couple days ago to the media about being fatigued(due to our lack of depth). Joe could come in right now and take all of Shump's minutes while he is out hurt and any minutes Delly would normally fill if not on a minutes limit. Once Shump gets back healthy, Joe can take all of Jefferson's minutes at the back up 3, he can take any minutes Delly would play at 2 and he can cut LeBron's minutes down from the 38 MPG he's been averaging lately, plus situationaly maybe eat into some of Shump's minutes(who has been about as bad as Waiters on offense, that may even be giving Shump too much credit).

Now, I do think he could go into OKC and be the 2nd best wing behind Durant hands down. I'm also not saying he won't end up there(since it's so close to where he grew up and played college ball; plus they can pay him the most). But I'm just saying, the Cavs do need wing help/depth and to say otherwise is inaccurate.
Anyone coming in and taking Waiters' minutes is an improvement.

Sportsguy9695
02-25-2016, 07:06 PM
I think Johnson would be a great addition to the Cavs and hopefully he could help James get another title if he does land in Cleveland

xxplayerxx23
02-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Clev or clippers best shot at taking our Spurs or warriors with him
IMO

TrueFan420
02-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Would love for the Warriors to take a flyer on him. He'd be a great piece off the bench. Good size, good passer, can hit a 3 and should be able to fit in defensively.

TrueFan420
02-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Clippers or Thunder are his best chances at contending and play time.

Id say OKC more. Clippers have JJ.

Blink
02-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah definitely OKC if looking for Playing time/fit.

Wanna ride and take a shot at the ring GS, CLE, SA, OKC in that order.

chrislu31
02-26-2016, 12:29 AM
As a Brooklyn Nets fan I'm going to tell you right now that OKC is the exact place that JJ would not be able to function in. They don't call him iso-Joe for no reason. OKC just basically runs an isolation offense where either KD or Westbrook come down the court and go 1 on 5. Not enough possessions in a game for JJ to be effective in OKC. On the other hand, with Cleveland having JR and Shump as SG is the exact reason why Cle needs to sign him lol. He is a big game player who makes big time shots, and is much more capable at SC then JR and Shump combined. Lebron actually passes now, where as KD and Westbrook don't which is why he'd be most effective on Cle.

beasted86
02-26-2016, 01:27 AM
As a Brooklyn Nets fan I'm going to tell you right now that OKC is the exact place that JJ would not be able to function in. They don't call him iso-Joe for no reason. OKC just basically runs an isolation offense where either KD or Westbrook come down the court and go 1 on 5. Not enough possessions in a game for JJ to be effective in OKC. On the other hand, with Cleveland having JR and Shump as SG is the exact reason why Cle needs to sign him lol. He is a big game player who makes big time shots, and is much more capable at SC then JR and Shump combined. Lebron actually passes now, where as KD and Westbrook don't which is why he'd be most effective on Cle.

Why is Westbrook 2nd in the NBA in assists if he never passes?

MJNetsIsles
02-26-2016, 02:20 AM
As a Brooklyn Nets fan, I see him staying in the Eastern Conference.

Cavs and Hawks make the most sense to me. Could also see the Bulls.

ManningToTyree
02-26-2016, 02:29 AM
OKC makes the most sense to me.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2016, 02:34 AM
he would be a great fit for OKC. They really need some scoring options at the 2And he would take pressure off Durant and Westbrook, kind of like how Reggie Jackson did but with JJ being a more polished threat.

SportsFanatic13
02-26-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm going to Cleveland and not thinking twice about it.

Vince70
02-26-2016, 08:33 AM
The Cavs are set at the SG spot with Smith for offense and Shump for defense but they will probably sign him just to have extra depth after all the injuries they had last postseason. He would have to be a team player and not care about the lack of minutes cause they are loaded in the backcourt if everyone's healthy going into the postseason. I could see him getting time playing behind LeBron at small forward but Jefferson has been playing well all season in that role so I don't know if he's needed there either. I am glad the Cavs covered themselves in case Kyrie gets hurt again with Delly/Mo and maybe they'll do the same with Joe if they are worried about Shump staying healthy and Smith being prone to shooting slumps like in the Finals.

BKLYNpigeon
02-26-2016, 09:50 AM
http://www.hothothoops.com/2016/2/25/11118190/report-joe-johnson-has-miami-heat-high-on-his-list

Woj says Miami and ATL are high on Joe Johnson's list.

Celtics also have the most money to offer him. 2.5 mil.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2016, 12:02 PM
http://www.hothothoops.com/2016/2/25/11118190/report-joe-johnson-has-miami-heat-high-on-his-list

Woj says Miami and ATL are high on Joe Johnson's list.

Celtics also have the most money to offer him. 2.5 mil.Miami and Atlanta? Boston? None are legit contenders, and I thought that was his goal?

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Cleveland's the likeliest landing spot, although it would be nice to see Johnson back in Hotlanta on the veteran's minimum.

BKLYNpigeon
02-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Miami and Atlanta? Boston? None are legit contenders, and I thought that was his goal?

Nope. it was playing time and fit. Joe will be a free agent and probably looking to get another short term contract.

unleashthebeast
02-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Broussards sawwwwwwces as well as others are reporting that the Heat are the frontrunners

YAALREADYKNO
02-26-2016, 03:50 PM
OKC or Cleveland would be great for him

Tony_Starks
02-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Sounds like it's all but a done deal with Miami.

Cool! I want to see a Clev v Miami ECF

YAALREADYKNO
02-26-2016, 04:21 PM
If Chris bosh wasn't out the heat could make some serious noise in the east

aman_13
02-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Smart move. Weather over championship.

Slug3
02-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Some players don't care about championships over other things. I think with Miami he might get the most playing time and a chance to show he still has something to try and get one last contract.

Blink
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Dude just doesn't care about winning.

CHANGO
02-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I would love JJ on the HEAT. He can give you shooting, even when he's off defenders are going to respect him, and he can also make plays for others. We need that right now when our backup pg is out for the season.

RCarlson85
02-26-2016, 05:11 PM
I guess not everyone wants to play with Lebron. I'll be glad to have him assuming it actually does become official like it's being reported. He could be a nice addition and get plenty of minutes at SF and SG.

And to anyone saying he doesn't care about winning, it's not like he's signing for more money to play with the Wolves or Lakers. The Heat are currently 1 game behind Boston for 3rd and they've been playing better after all-star break, even with Bosh out. If they continue to play well and finish in 3rd they would avoid Cleveland until the ECF also. He will have a chance to play for one of the top teams in the East and at the same time play a bigger role because the Heat have injury problems and minutes to be had. He must like something better about the Heat (teammates, coaches, ownership, etc) because I know other top teams like Cleveland or OKC would definitely take him.

BKLYNpigeon
02-26-2016, 05:13 PM

that a dumb statement.

eDush
02-26-2016, 05:17 PM

that a dumb statement.

Agreed.

Big Zo
02-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Cleveland is beating GS or San Antonio?

Dade County
02-26-2016, 05:47 PM
If Chris bosh wasn't out the heat could make some serious noise in the east

He'll be back this season... Dont worry about it.

Slug3
02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
He'll be back this season... Dont worry about it.

I am now holding you to that, lol.

CHANGO
02-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Joe Johnson has committed to a deal with the Heat after he clears waivers, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports.

It's an interesting move for Johnson here. Among the teams capable of winning a first-round series, Johnson likely gets his best chance for minutes with Miami. Obviously the Heat don't have the same chances to win like the Cavs do, though. Earlier this month, Johnson said his primary concern is to play, so that looks like the deciding factor. He can remain on the wire in most leagues while this move hurts Josh Richardson and Justise Winslow.

Source: Shams Charania on Twitter

Via Rotoworld

Love this move.

Dade County
02-26-2016, 06:05 PM
I am now holding you to that, lol.

Just like last season when Miami got Dragic; Bosh had to sit out...I dont think the league would go so far as to have Bosh sit out again just because of jj & whoever else they get.

Thats why i dont concern myself with the Bosh talk. He's ok.

Chronz
02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Just like last season when Miami got Dragic; Bosh had to sit out...I dont think the league would go so far as to have Bosh sit out again just because of jj & whoever else they get.

WTF are you talking about? I cant make sense of this post at all, you and that sig deserve each other.

RCarlson85
02-26-2016, 06:24 PM
WTF are you talking about? I cant make sense of this post at all, you and that sig deserve each other.

I think he believes there's some big conspiracy in the NBA and that's what he's referring to.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Smart move. Weather over championship.Kind of defines Joe Johnson's career. Took Atlanta's insane contract offer and failed to live up to it and now chooses Miami over a real contender. They arguably have no Bosh right now. Second round would be hopeful at this point.

Slug3
02-26-2016, 06:38 PM

The League won't, but blood clots and doctors will.

J_M_B
02-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Don't mind him. He thinks the entire league is fixed.

RCarlson85
02-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Kind of defines Joe Johnson's career. Took Atlanta's insane contract offer and failed to live up to it and now chooses Miami over a real contender. They arguably have no Bosh right now. Second round would be hopeful at this point.

How is 2nd round hopeful? They've looked great in the 4 games since all-star break (3 of those against teams as good as them or better) and that's without Bosh. They're currently only 1 game behind Boston for 3rd (they also play Boston tomorrow) and were in 3rd as recently as Wednesday before losing to the Warriors. If they were able to finish in 3rd they would be playing a team that's worse than them and they would be favored. I wouldn't call that hopeful myself. Adding Joe Johnson is going to make them better and it's possible they still get Bosh back (here's where hopeful would be appropriate) which would significantly change their outlook.

Corey
02-26-2016, 06:56 PM
You know what's stupid?

Everyone that's saying stuff like:

Because he's choosing to go to a place like Miami.

If he chose Cleveland, y'all would be calling him a dick-rider, or a ring chaser.

It's a lose-lose.

He's a solid player, had a really good career to this point, and he's been on teams that should have been close to top tier. Dont blame him because the Hawks signed him to an unbelievably bad contract.

He was on good teams in ATL. He was on a team that underperformed in Brooklyn. He's a good dude.

If you were 34 years old, played 14 seasons, and had the opportunity to showcase yourself for one last contract, wouldn't you want to go where you could get big minutes on a team that still gets national exposure? He's not ready to play 12 minutes off the bench for a Lebron team. ****, I'd go down to Miami too after spending the last 4 winters in the North East.

MJNetsIsles
02-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Nice move by the Miami Heat!

blahblahyoutoo
02-26-2016, 08:39 PM
i like the move. wonder how he'll be used in our system. SF/SG backup for wade/deng?

Corey
02-26-2016, 08:45 PM
i like the move. wonder how he'll be used in our system. SF/SG backup for wade/deng?

If Bosh is out, I'd slide Deng to the 4, start JJ and play small ball.

Tony_Starks
02-26-2016, 10:49 PM
You know what's stupid?

Everyone that's saying stuff like:

Because he's choosing to go to a place like Miami.

If he chose Cleveland, y'all would be calling him a dick-rider, or a ring chaser.

It's a lose-lose.

He's a solid player, had a really good career to this point, and he's been on teams that should have been close to top tier. Dont blame him because the Hawks signed him to an unbelievably bad contract.

He was on good teams in ATL. He was on a team that underperformed in Brooklyn. He's a good dude.

If you were 34 years old, played 14 seasons, and had the opportunity to showcase yourself for one last contract, wouldn't you want to go where you could get big minutes on a team that still gets national exposure? He's not ready to play 12 minutes off the bench for a Lebron team. ****, I'd go down to Miami too after spending the last 4 winters in the North East.

Exactly. With Miami you get a punchers chance in the playoffs on a team where you will get some legit burn and a loyal franchise you could very well retire with.

I'd take that over taking the scrap minutes on Cleveland for a free ride to the Finals. There's nothing to gain there, if he balls out it would be "Lebron made him better" if he doesn't fit in it would be "Joe Cool is washed up."

CHANGO
02-27-2016, 01:13 AM
If Bosh is out, I'd slide Deng to the 4, start JJ and play small ball.

Last 4 games Deng has been starting at the 4 so I guess Johnson will either be a backup SG for Wade or the starting SF.

Dragic
Wade
Johnson
Deng
Whiteside or STAT

BKLYNpigeon
02-27-2016, 02:34 AM
Kind of defines Joe Johnson's career. Took Atlanta's insane contract offer and failed to live up to it and now chooses Miami over a real contender. They arguably have no Bosh right now. Second round would be hopeful at this point.

another dumb comment.

Wade n Fade
02-28-2016, 02:17 PM
another dumb comment.

The previous poster doesn't realize Joe Johnson wanted to position himself for possibly his last major contract. Miami is a good fit too. He likes Wade too. So possibly the Heat could keep him for the near future beyond this season.

blahblahyoutoo
02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
is he playing tonight?

naps
02-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Geting enough playing time to showcase for one last fat contract and having a chance to make noise in the playoffs? No brainer there. With Bosh out and Miami going small (Deng as a permanent PF) JJ will easily log in 30 mins a game as a starter. His only competition is Gerald freaking Green.

eDush
02-29-2016, 01:47 AM
JJ adds another deep threat to a team that are in dire need to contend the better teams in contention.