PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Houston to fire another coach?

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Simply put, Houston jumped the gun on firing McHale. If they didn't have a suitable replacement waiting in the wing, then they should have waited.

The question then becomes, who would be ideal for this team?

Scoots
02-24-2016, 11:43 PM
I got the impression they wanted JB and were planning for him to be the next coach ... Not saying that was a good decision, just saying that's what I had heard before McHale was fired.

Then again I don't know who would get that group playing hard and in the same direction again during this season.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2016, 12:31 AM
I got the impression they wanted JB and were planning for him to be the next coach ... Not saying that was a good decision, just saying that's what I had heard before McHale was fired.

Then again I don't know who would get that group playing hard and in the same direction again during this season.

I think the biggest thing to deal with is Howard's ego.

I really think Houston should have pushed for a Horford/Dwight trade. That would have been ideal.

As for a coach... I think Thibs would do well with this roster... at least on paper. But Dwight would have to be healthy enough to play excessive minutes. I think he would want that, because he seems concerned about his stats.

But now it will be hard to bring in any coach until they know exactly what they are going to have rosterwise moving forward.

No big-name coach is going to want to sign up for a team that might be losing its AS center to free agency.

They really should have lined somebody up before they got rid of McHale.

Sly Guy
02-25-2016, 12:55 AM
dunno if it's the coach that needs to go, but that locker room desperately needs leadership with heart and passion.

Scoots
02-25-2016, 01:03 AM
What past his prime superstar leader could cure Houston? That should be the target.

CP3? We know he rubs some people the wrong way. Conley might be the right guy.

kdspurman
02-25-2016, 01:33 AM

I really think Houston should have pushed for a Horford/Dwight trade. That would have been ideal.

As for a coach... I think Thibs would do well with this roster... at least on paper. But Dwight would have to be healthy enough to play excessive minutes. I think he would want that, because he seems concerned about his stats.

But now it will be hard to bring in any coach until they know exactly what they are going to have rosterwise moving forward.

No big-name coach is going to want to sign up for a team that might be losing its AS center to free agency.

With Bud coming from the Pop mold, I just don't see anyway he would have wanted Dwight in Atlanta.

Dwight is a tough one to move, he hasn't exactly marketed himself well over the past couple years. I agree with you about letting go of McHale. It was a knee-jerk reaction and they have to suck it up at this point. I would just stay as is and make moves in the summer. Missing the playoffs is a real possibility for them at this point, and a 3rd coach this late probably won't help anything

CHANGO
02-25-2016, 04:59 AM
While I agree JB is unexperienced, isn't a coach problem, 2 coaching changes and the team still sucking? Emmm. Nah that's on the players and leaders of the team.

nyyfan4life
02-25-2016, 05:21 AM
Their team setup is super flawed.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Is Dwight even really better than Capela anymore? He's definitely gone in FA. Don't think he wants to be there and don't think the Rockets want him there any longer.

I do think the Rockets could benefit from a better coach though. Look at the Warriors- MJ is the coach and they run a ton of iso's and don't even have a top 10 offense. Then Kerr comes in, brings in a system based on ball movement, player movement, etc. and they have the GOAT offense. A great coach can do a lot for you. I don't think Harden is incapable of playing off ball more (he's a good shooter and could be a good C&S guy) and in a more movement heavy offense. I just don't think they've had a coach whose been interested in installing that type of offense and that goes for McHale too.

But there is also an issue with the roster- not enough shooting. And no one else on the roster (besides Harden obviously) is really good at creating their own shot or passing or shooting. I mean it seems to me there's a lot of limited players on their roster (including Dwight). And some of their guys are just having down seasons (like Beverley) or have been injured (DMo, whose really versatile, big loss that he hasn't played much). Not sure what the Corey Brewer's of the world give you.

Obviously there's leadership/chemistry issues on the team too. What I find mind boggling is that this team overachieved last year with basically the same exact roster. And when you overachieve, you would think the chemistry is really good. So how did that turn bad so fast? (Actually the fact that a Kardashian is involved with Harden is probably a pretty good explanation. That family is never good to get involved with- pretty much all players who date one have their careers ruined)

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2016, 08:49 AM
With Bud coming from the Pop mold, I just don't see anyway he would have wanted Dwight in Atlanta.

Dwight is a tough one to move, he hasn't exactly marketed himself well over the past couple years. I agree with you about letting go of McHale. It was a knee-jerk reaction and they have to suck it up at this point. I would just stay as is and make moves in the summer. Missing the playoffs is a real possibility for them at this point, and a 3rd coach this late probably won't help anything

I think the thing there is that Dwight is from ATL. There would have been pressure from ownershipéfanbase to land him for sentimental reasons. I mean, they tried going after him when he was a free agent.

But I agree 100%. Dwight doesn't fit the Spurs/Pop mould. But that said, Pop was lucky to be in a position where he had a humble franchise player in D-Rob, then picked up another one in Duncan, and these to champion HOFers set the tone and foundation for everybody coming into that organization. For Pop's guys, when they go to teams like Philly, and like the ATL, and like Cleveland, they have to build on what they can get. Pop's model is a great formula, but you can't get just anybody to buy into that when you aren't even winning.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2016, 08:51 AM
What past his prime superstar leader could cure Houston? That should be the target.

CP3? We know he rubs some people the wrong way. Conley might be the right guy.

I don't know how they'd get a hold of CP3, or that CP3 is past his prime. I do know that Dwight would try to get him traded after their first practice together. CP3 pushes people hard and he will call teammmates out when they drop the ball on something. Dwight won't like that.

archdevil84
02-25-2016, 09:48 AM
they should just trade away harden. Theyre not gonna win anything with harden as their leader

IndyRealist
02-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Is Dwight even really better than Capela anymore? He's definitely gone in FA. Don't think he wants to be there and don't think the Rockets want him there any longer.

I do think the Rockets could benefit from a better coach though. Look at the Warriors- MJ is the coach and they run a ton of iso's and don't even have a top 10 offense. Then Kerr comes in, brings in a system based on ball movement, player movement, etc. and they have the GOAT offense. A great coach can do a lot for you. I don't think Harden is incapable of playing off ball more (he's a good shooter and could be a good C&S guy) and in a more movement heavy offense. I just don't think they've had a coach whose been interested in installing that type of offense and that goes for McHale too.

But there is also an issue with the roster- not enough shooting. And no one else on the roster (besides Harden obviously) is really good at creating their own shot or passing or shooting. I mean it seems to me there's a lot of limited players on their roster (including Dwight). And some of their guys are just having down seasons (like Beverley) or have been injured (DMo, whose really versatile, big loss that he hasn't played much). Not sure what the Corey Brewer's of the world give you.

Obviously there's leadership/chemistry issues on the team too. What I find mind boggling is that this team overachieved last year with basically the same exact roster. And when you overachieve, you would think the chemistry is really good. So how did that turn bad so fast? (Actually the fact that a Kardashian is involved with Harden is probably a pretty good explanation. That family is never good to get involved with- pretty much all players who date one have their careers ruined)

I find it funny to praise the Warriors system for passing and off ball movement, and then say the Rockets need more guys that can get their own shot. What they need is a system that's not "watch Harden try to beat his man off the dribble for 20 seconds". The problem is Harden controls the offense. He brings the ball up, he initiates the plays. Many times he waives off the set play to try and beat his man. You can see players get into position and Harden refuses to run the set, so halfway through the shot clock everyone just backs out so he can iso.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2016, 10:44 AM
This isn't on the coach. If Harden and Howard are the leaders of your team you are truly doomed.

They are built to be a 3 and D team with Harden isos to fill the gaps. But Harden has regressed to his old lazy D, Howard's slowed by nagging injuries that limit his defense.

So what's left? Live and die with Harden going one on one all night and hope the rest of the guys 3's happen to be falling when he kicks out. With Dwight as a afterthought, getting the scraps.

Not a winning recipe, will probably miss the playoffs and drive the mightybosstone's of the world deeper into seclusion and depression....

valade16
02-25-2016, 11:06 AM
I find it funny to praise the Warriors system for passing and off ball movement, and then say the Rockets need more guys that can get their own shot. What they need is a system that's not "watch Harden try to beat his man off the dribble for 20 seconds". The problem is Harden controls the offense. He brings the ball up, he initiates the plays. Many times he waives off the set play to try and beat his man. You can see players get into position and Harden refuses to run the set, so halfway through the shot clock everyone just backs out so he can iso.

It's no coincidence that Houston's Ortg gets worse the more USG% Harden has:

2013: 29.0 USG% | 109.7 Ortg
2014: 27.8 USG% | 111.0 Ortg
2015: 31.3 USG% | 107.0 Ortg
2016: 32.7 USG% | 107.1 Ortg

The changes aren't major but they are telling. When Harden is working within an offensive system and putting forth effort on defense, he is a top player. When he tries to do too much on offense and stops giving defensive effort, his flaws drag down his effectiveness as an overall player.

Scoots
02-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I think this season was setup when Curry boxed out Howard in the WCF and Howard blamed his teammates on the floor and in the press.

It's evident when a bad play happens and all of the players involved blame each other.

IndyRealist
02-25-2016, 11:53 AM
It's no coincidence that Houston's Ortg gets worse the more USG% Harden has:

2013: 29.0 USG% | 109.7 Ortg
2014: 27.8 USG% | 111.0 Ortg
2015: 31.3 USG% | 107.0 Ortg
2016: 32.7 USG% | 107.1 Ortg

The changes aren't major but they are telling. When Harden is working within an offensive system and putting forth effort on defense, he is a top player. When he tries to do too much on offense and stops giving defensive effort, his flaws drag down his effectiveness as an overall player.

4 points of efficiency is a big deal. That's the difference between like 2nd and 6th in offense. 4 points of net rating is going from 6th to 16th, from top tier to middle of the pack.

My manta here has always been "players do not create shots, plays create shots". Sometimes that play is an iso at the top of the arc, but most of the time the better play is a pick and roll, or a back door cut, or the kick out to the corner. Guys who dribble the air out of the ball get way too much credit for essentially forcing their team into bad shots.

Scoots
02-25-2016, 01:04 PM
4 points of efficiency is a big deal. That's the difference between like 2nd and 6th in offense. 4 points of net rating is going from 6th to 16th, from top tier to middle of the pack.

My manta here has always been "players do not create shots, plays create shots". Sometimes that play is an iso at the top of the arc, but most of the time the better play is a pick and roll, or a back door cut, or the kick out to the corner. Guys who dribble the air out of the ball get way too much credit for essentially forcing their team into bad shots.

And they are often given a break for their bad FG% because "they have to take bad shots at the end of the shot clock to bail out the team" despite the fact that they are the ones who used up so much of the shot clock.

Snakeyestx
02-25-2016, 01:29 PM
#CallScottBrooks

...then go all out for Durant

One more thing - every day Daryl Morey is allowed to have carte blanche with the staffing of this team is one more day that helps proves Barkley's point that "Building a team off of analytics alone is stupid and useless" since you can't tell how personalities will mesh just by staring at a sheet of numbers.

kdspurman
02-25-2016, 05:33 PM
The problem lies far deeper than the coaching if this is true:

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

Multiple league sources told CBS Sports that Harden pushed management to dump McHale, and has since angled for the Rockets to trade Howard. Rockets GM Daryl Morey delivered on the first demand, but was unable to find a suitable deal for Howard at the trade deadline this month.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/25/report-james-harden-convinced-rockets-to-fire-kevin-mchale-tried-to-get-dwight-howard-traded/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

IndyRealist
02-25-2016, 05:43 PM
#CallScottBrooks

One more thing - every day Daryl Morey is allowed to have carte blanche with the staffing of this team is one more day that helps proves Barkley's point that "Building a team off of analytics alone is stupid and useless" since you can't tell how personalities will mesh just by staring at a sheet of numbers.

1) no one builds teams on analytics alone.

2) when the Rockets signed Howard everyone here, pro and anti analytics, crowned them perennial contenders. So did Barkley if I remember correctly.

3) anyone who fails to acknowledge 1 and 2 is trying to rewrite history.

CHANGO
02-25-2016, 05:52 PM
People like to bash Howard a lot here, I'm not a fan of Howard nor I like to defend his immaturity but bashing his game is getting pretty old, you can't score or have some impact on the offensive end when you aren't getting the ball. Simple as that. Howard has become a decoy on that offense and Harden is the responsible for that.

You bash Howard but forget to mention the great defense of Harden, or the out of shape going to training camp, or his leadership, or his hero-ball, etc... etc...

CHANGO
02-25-2016, 05:54 PM
The problem lies far deeper than the coaching if this is true:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/25/report-james-harden-convinced-rockets-to-fire-kevin-mchale-tried-to-get-dwight-howard-traded/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Won't surprise me tbh.

Funny thing is that 90% of the people here are always bashing Howard and giving Harden a pass. I just can't respect a player who gets his coach fired at the beginning of the season when he was the one showing to training camp overweight.

valade16
02-25-2016, 05:58 PM
You have no idea how happy it makes me that Damian Lillard's game winner essentially imploded the Rockets.

Ball_Out
02-25-2016, 06:09 PM
I just think its awesome how smug Howard and Harden were looking in that picture they tool immediately after Howard signed with the Rockets. "Back to having fun". That's whats wrong with this generation of ball players, everyone wants to be in love with each other and put winning second. Would you even want Howard in your locker room? He's terrible.

archdevil84
02-25-2016, 06:44 PM
You have no idea how happy it makes me that Damian Lillard's game winner essentially imploded the Rockets.

haha me too, i freaking loved it. funny enough dwight was (and stil is) about the only player on the rockets that i like. I hate the rest of them and harden the most of all

archdevil84
02-25-2016, 06:47 PM
i think harden is the problem. Me personally i would never wanna play with this dude; always iso's, plays almost no defense. always looking to draw fouls with his head snapping and flopping and keeps calling himself "best in the league" and **** like that. Never liked his attitude with the rockets. Extremely bad leader imo. Theyre starting to look very similar to the thunder offense which is basically give the ball to westbrook or durant and let them do their thing except they give the ball to harden every time

Scoots
02-25-2016, 09:34 PM
1) no one builds teams on analytics alone.

2) when the Rockets signed Howard everyone here, pro and anti analytics, crowned them perennial contenders. So did Barkley if I remember correctly.

3) anyone who fails to acknowledge 1 and 2 is trying to rewrite history.

On #2 ... not nearly everyone. Certainly not me. Howard was slipping before he left Orlando and showed himself to be less than an alpha while he was there. The Lakers experience just made it more clear.

Scoots
02-25-2016, 09:34 PM
i think harden is the problem. Me personally i would never wanna play with this dude; always iso's, plays almost no defense. always looking to draw fouls with his head snapping and flopping and keeps calling himself "best in the league" and **** like that. Never liked his attitude with the rockets. Extremely bad leader imo. Theyre starting to look very similar to the thunder offense which is basically give the ball to westbrook or durant and let them do their thing except they give the ball to harden every time

You can't say that about Harden! He's the consensus best SG in the NBA!!!

houstonfan
02-25-2016, 11:07 PM

Ya I mean they haven't done anything since that shot right? Oh wait, WCF last year. You should edit that to "You have no idea how happy it makes me that Khloe Kardashian essentially imploded the Rockets". Then you have a point. Hardens offseason led to the poor start this year and the team just hasn't recovered.

valade16
02-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Ya I mean they haven't done anything since that shot right? Oh wait, WCF last year. You should edit that to "You have no idea how happy it makes me that Khloe Kardashian essentially imploded the Rockets". Then you have a point. Hardens offseason led to the poor start this year and the team just hasn't recovered.

http://youtu.be/pbIR51_J_qY

Scoots
02-26-2016, 01:48 AM
Now under .500 and out of the playoffs.

Chronz
02-26-2016, 02:13 AM
#CallScottBrooks

Barkley would be worse and never has morey been so one dimensional

kdspurman
02-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Now under .500 and out of the playoffs.

Guessing you wrote that before their comeback win? lol

Scoots
02-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Guessing you wrote that before their comeback win? lol

lol yup

The Rockets will probably make it to the playoffs this year ... but does anyone think they will make the 2nd round?

Vampirate
02-26-2016, 02:52 PM
It's very simple, the Rockets cannot defend, the Rockets easily have the worst defense in the league from all the teams currently in the playoffs. It starts with Harden really, if Harden cannot defend the players it leaves a trickle down effect where other players might have to leave their man to help defend when Harden lets people go by him.

I remember when the Raptors had a great offense in the Bargnani/Bosh era, the offense was great however that team was a .500 team because it was not a good defensive team. You need 2 way players to get anywhere in this league. Once Dwight leaves, Houston's defense will probably get worse. I doubt you can build a championship team around Harden because his defense takes away from his offense.

kobe4thewinbang
02-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Rockets have waived Marcus Thornton after trading him was voided. I don't know why they traded him or waived him. He's a scorer for when Harden is off or gassed??? He reportedly wants to play for a contender.

Saddletramp
02-27-2016, 03:14 AM
Rockets have waived Marcus Thornton after trading him was voided. I don't know why they traded him or waived him. He's a scorer for when Harden is off or gassed??? He reportedly wants to play for a contender.

He wanted more minutes but he's too streaky. I was pumped when he showed up and he's had some great games but he's not as consistent and good as he thinks he is.

Saddletramp
02-27-2016, 03:27 AM

If anything, I'd say it's the other way around. When Portland won, everyone knew it was an upset and then Portland just crapped the bed in the next round and LMA knew that was their ceiling. Houston was poised to go deep that year but got upended by a team that was just trying to make a dent before bowing out.

That two round showing by the Blazers showed LMA that they could beat another middle of the pack team but weren't going anywhere and between not many options in free agency and no high picks, they were always going to fail for a title.

The Rockets in the next year got better while people were complaining that the Blazers got to keep an undeserved 4 seed and the rules needed to be changed. Then LMA bolted after he said he'd stay but was waiting to sign when it was economically friendlier for him. Knowing he was a goner and Matthews and Lopez wanted to get paid (especially an injured and possibly never form-regaining Matthews), they saw it was time to rebuild around Liiliard and unloaded Batum for assets. Savvy move, honestly, and they have definitely returned to fringe playoff status quicker than expected

But that playoff wasn't the Rockets implosion. It was closer to the Blazers'.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-27-2016, 04:40 AM

Huh? Wtf are you talking about? They overachieved and reached the WCF the next year....If you're going to say someone imploded the Rockets, at most you could say it was the Warriors and Curry since they beat them in the WCF and then beat them early in the year this year.

If anything, that Blazers series made Harden work harder and the Rockets play harder to overachieve during the season and playoffs (they should've lost to the Clippers who were favored).

PatsSoxKnicks
02-27-2016, 04:42 AM
You can't say that about Harden! He's the consensus best SG in the NBA!!!

Not sure why you're being sarcastic about him being the best SG in the NBA because he is.

Saddletramp
02-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Huh? Wtf are you talking about? They overachieved and reached the WCF the next year....If you're going to say someone imploded the Rockets, at most you could say it was the Warriors and Curry since they beat them in the WCF and then beat them early in the year this year.

If anything, that Blazers series made Harden work harder and the Rockets play harder to overachieve during the season and playoffs (they should've lost to the Clippers who were favored).

Yeah, it was embarrassing for him/them to lose to the Blazers so Harden especially got super motivated for the next year. Then he led his injury riddled team to the 2 seed. But I guess that's "imploding" to some people.

basketballkitty
02-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Do people here realize that as far as Analytics go that Golden State was built on that. And that they were really the first NBA team to utilize them.

Scoots
02-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Do people here realize that as far as Analytics go that Golden State was built on that. And that they were really the first NBA team to utilize them.

No.

mngopher35
02-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Scoots are you saying that isn't true or that people don't realize it? I actually wasn't aware they were really the first team to utilize them if that is true.

basketballkitty
02-27-2016, 03:36 PM
No.

Ah yes it is. Look it up. Jerry West hired one of the earliest users of Analytics in Pro Basketball.

valade16
02-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it was embarrassing for him/them to lose to the Blazers so Harden especially got super motivated for the next year. Then he led his injury riddled team to the 2 seed. But I guess that's "imploding" to some people.

He got so motivated he... walked into the GM's office and asked they trade Dwight. And Dwight was so motivated he... walked into the GM's office and asked they trade Harden.

I don't care how good they did the next year, that was the beginning of the implosion. I mean, by your logic the Shaq/Kobe Lakers weren't imploding because they went to the Finals in 05.

The seeds of the implosion were planted long before that Pistons series, years in fact. Same here.

Scoots
02-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Scoots are you saying that isn't true or that people don't realize it? I actually wasn't aware they were really the first team to utilize them if that is true.
I'm saying the warriors were not the first team to use analytics.

Morey was using analytics with the celtics 13 years ago, and I'm not sure he was first.

Saddletramp
02-27-2016, 04:10 PM
He got so motivated he... walked into the GM's office and asked they trade Dwight. And Dwight was so motivated he... walked into the GM's office and asked they trade Harden.

Then they had a great year. As far as we know, they could've clashed before that. And those rumors of demanding trades may be true but I doubt it's because Terrence Jones couldn't play a lick of defense early on and McHale not noticing earlier than he did because that was the deciding factor.

I don't care how good they did the next year, that was the beginning of the implosion. I mean, by your logic the Shaq/Kobe Lakers weren't imploding because they went to the Finals in 05.

The seeds of the implosion were planted long before that Pistons series, years in fact. Same here.

Neat.

eDush
02-29-2016, 03:39 AM
Simply put, Houston jumped the gun on firing McHale. If they didn't have a suitable replacement waiting in the wing, then they should have waited.

The question then becomes, who would be ideal for this team?

:smoking:The Beard wanted him gone (http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/25/james-harden-houston-rockets-dwight-howard-trade-kevin-mchale-fired) and whatever the beard say, you do unless you want him to leave when his contracts comes up. The Question is do you want McHale or Beard if you were the owner?

Rumor as surface that he also wanted Dwight gone in the same fashion as Kobe back in the day.

kobe4thewinbang
02-29-2016, 10:00 PM
He wanted more minutes but he's too streaky. I was pumped when he showed up and he's had some great games but he's not as consistent and good as he thinks he is.I see. I wonder if he'll get picked up or not. Shooters help. I wonder what's going to happen with Harden and Howard, if the rumors are true about Harden being a locker room cancer.

eDush
02-29-2016, 10:15 PM
He wanted more minutes but he's too streaky. I was pumped when he showed up and he's had some great games but he's not as consistent and good as he thinks he is.I see. I wonder if he'll get picked up or not. Shooters help. I wonder what's going to happen with Harden and Howard, if the rumors are true about Harden being a locker room cancer.

Many have said Kobe is a locker room cancer too. Dwight can't stand playing with him along with many players don't want to play with the Lakers until he is gone which from the many sources you have read i'm sure but he's still there. When you are a superstar max player, it seems like you can be a cancer unlike role players who would be out of this league if they become a cancer.

:dance:

zn23
02-29-2016, 11:49 PM
This team is an embarrassment defensively!

I mean it's gotta be someones fault that the team went from 6th in Defensive efficiency last season to a pathetic 25th this season, right? I mean you don't just fall off like that without some structural issues.

eDush
03-01-2016, 02:23 AM
Those who said the Beard push McHale out don't know anything...sounds like the same group that claims Lebron pushed Blatt out.

Both are absolutely false!!!! :mad:

valade16
03-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Those who said the Beard push McHale out don't know anything...sounds like the same group that claims Lebron pushed Blatt out.

Both are absolutely false!!!! :mad:

Why did he get fired? I can't envision a scenario where the guy who decided to fire him from the Rockets organization isn't an idiot.

eDush
03-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Why did he get fired? I can't envision a scenario where the guy who decided to fire him from the Rockets organization isn't an idiot.

Easy - he lost the locker room meaning the players no longer listens to him. Not sure why it occurred but it did. If you were the Owner and you see this scenario (http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/11/kevin-mchale-nba-houston-rockets-sacramento-kings.jpg) on the court during time outs...what would you do valade16:confused: Keep in mind the team already lost 3 games of more than 20 points including loses to the Nuggets and Nets.

As the owner/GM, you have 2 choices....get rid of the coach or get rid of your star players that took the team to the Western Conf Final last year. Unless this owner is so naive to think it was McHale that did it, he had to go. The Beard didn't tell the owner to get rid of him, he sees this (http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/11/kevin-mchale-nba-houston-rockets-sacramento-kings.jpg) and know it's over for him. Same thing happen with Blatt.

In hindsight, it hasn't turn out the better but J.B. hasn't lost the locker room yet. Once you lost the team, it's time to go :(

valade16
03-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Easy - he lost the locker room meaning the players no longer listens to him. Not sure why it occurred but it did. If you were the Owner and you see this scenario (http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/11/kevin-mchale-nba-houston-rockets-sacramento-kings.jpg) on the court during time outs...what would you do valade16:confused: Keep in mind the team already lost 3 games of more than 20 points including loses to the Nuggets and Nets.

As the owner/GM, you have 2 choices....get rid of the coach or get rid of your star players that took the team to the Western Conf Final last year. Unless this owner is so naive to think it was McHale that did it, he had to go. The Beard didn't tell the owner to get rid of him, he sees this (http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/11/kevin-mchale-nba-houston-rockets-sacramento-kings.jpg) and know it's over for him. Same thing happen with Blatt.

In hindsight, it hasn't turn out the better but J.B. hasn't lost the locker room yet. Once you lost the team, it's time to go :(

Are we sure he wasn't an integral part of why they went to the WCFs?

I think this situation will be one where hindsight reveals the truth of the matter. If Howard/Harden continue this dysfunction and begin to tune out subsequent coaches, it will show it was them and not McHale that was the problem. Similarly, if they start to do well and buy in to whatever new coach they get, we'll know it was McHale after all.

For my money, given Howard's history and Harden's complete disinterest in playing defense, I think you're absolving Harden/Howard of their part in all of this.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-01-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm not a fan of Howard either. But I think Rockets should be trying to trade Harden if anything. Maybe some 3 way trade where they get Love and Korver. Then they have like Ariza, Love, Korver firing from down town and Howard in the paint grabbing boards. Rockets then have the 3 point shooters to compete with Warriors. If not Love. Then Millsap and Korver for Harden. But Hawks been pretty greedy and say no. They wanted a arm and a leg for Teague. Then again Harden might not have that much value either. Bit over rated.

eDush
03-01-2016, 11:39 AM

I think this situation will be one where hindsight reveals the truth of the matter. If Howard/Harden continue this dysfunction and begin to tune out subsequent coaches, it will show it was them and not McHale that was the problem. Similarly, if they start to do well and buy in to whatever new coach they get, we'll know it was McHale after all.

For my money, given Howard's history and Harden's complete disinterest in playing defense, I think you're absolving Harden/Howard of their part in all of this.

I don't even like that organization and hope they continue to spiral out of contention but i don't think i was without the benefit of hindsight. Being ignored when yelling out the plays on the sideline is the beginning :( where decisions has to be made from the front office So far, he's yapping has gone on deaf ears by the players. I would probably give it another few more weeks or a month but they were tuning this guy out like a ghost so the owner/GM probably did McHale a favor so he doesn't look like (http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/11/kevin-mchale-nba-houston-rockets-sacramento-kings.jpg) this every game. Obviously the owner prefer his star players when the decision was made. If Melo does the same thing by ignoring the coach, i am quite certain Phil would either trade him or fined him and tweet his reasons why for the media to see. Melo knows this too so he's been supportive of their rebuilding efforts :nod:

eDush
03-01-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm not a fan of Howard either. But I think Rockets should be trying to trade Harden if anything. Maybe some 3 way trade where they get Love and Korver. Then they have like Ariza, Love, Korver firing from down town and Howard in the paint grabbing boards. Rockets then have the 3 point shooters to compete with Warriors. If not Love. Then Millsap and Korver for Harden. But Hawks been pretty greedy and say no. They wanted a arm and a leg for Teague. Then again Harden might not have that much value either. Bit over rated.

I'm not even such discussions had even take place due to greed but i doubt they want the Beard. However, the Hawks have shown interest in bringing Howard back home from reliable sources as oppose to rumors. Houston likely didn't want to do a Holford for Howard deal or was the one probably being greedy as Alanta was shopping Holford from the get go and would have made it happen and toss in Korver to boot. It seem fair to me :nod:

Hawkeye15
03-01-2016, 12:30 PM
all I know is that I love it. Any team Harden is on, I want bad, and him acting like a baby.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-01-2016, 12:33 PM
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/dwight-howard-gus-johnson-bucks/294705

Kinda interesting Howard said he likes Milwaukee. But Bucks wanted him to opt in instead of risking he'd be a rental. He wants $30M per this summer most likely. Bucks have $20M.

Dee_Edge
03-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Not the coach...it's more about lack of leadership on defense + timely turnovers.

I blame James Harden, cause he sucks at both.

Jeffy25
03-01-2016, 01:20 PM

Howard's ego?

Maybe it's Harden's ego?

I think they were premature in firing McHale, and the issue is the front offices pairing of the guards. They took Harden from being a strength with Beverley, and now have him with a weakness in Lawson.

Josh Smith doesn't need to be on the team, Thornton shot them out of several games and they have no perimeter defense.

eDush
03-01-2016, 02:12 PM
I think they were premature in firing McHale, and the issue is the front offices pairing of the guards. They took Harden from being a strength with Beverley, and now have him with a weakness in Lawson.

Josh Smith doesn't need to be on the team, Thornton shot them out of several games and they have no perimeter defense.

Now have him with Lawson?!? Beveley played 38 min compare to 6 min for Lawson last night like most nights once they realized how bad Law was after they traded for him and Josh has a bigger impact then Thornton has when playing alongside with Howard so not sure why you're using old info and such. Maybe I am more on top of this team roller coaster season then anyone else on this board other than EDUTEXANS.

Saddletramp
03-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Yeah, we're pretty sure. McHale never did much coaching wise before he joined the Rockets and then he only took the team as far as Harden took him. He ran Kyle Lowry out of town (though to be far, Lowry admitted that he, himself was the problem) and never had much of a system or any reigning in of Harden's Hero ball.

Saddletramp
03-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Howard's ego?

Maybe it's Harden's ego?

Yeah, the Lawson pairing was over pretty quick at the beginning of the season. He certainly didn't help but he's not the reason the Rockets are so bad.

all I know is that I love it. Any team Harden is on, I want bad, and him acting like a baby.

Hey, I'd love it too if the team I rooted for has been inept for years and years and years.....

kobe4thewinbang
03-03-2016, 02:14 AM
Rockets have signed Michael Beasley, who can definitely ball but can't put it all together in the NBA.
For the rest of the season, plus a team option for next season.

Scoots
03-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Rockets have signed Michael Beasley, who can definitely ball but can't put it all together in the NBA.

That devil weed isn't legal in TX ... dude better not get caught :)

IndyRealist
03-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Tank job confirmed.