PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat at Atalanta Hawks 2/19/2016

All-In
02-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Well, since there is no game thread, I'm guessing no one else watched the game because no bosh, no Wade or no Whiteside, why bother right?

What line-up was used to close the game out? Its was McRoberts, Deng, Winlsow, Green, Dragic...other variations with McRoberts at the 5 opened up so much space on offense since McRoberts either brought the ball up as the primary ball-handler or was setting screens along the 3pt line, basically hanging out around the 3pt line all the time, it forces the defense to bring there back-line defender out the paint, leaving middle vulnerable, and opening up driving lanes, not just for Dragic, but for everyone who can put the ball on the floor ie Deng.....Now it did help that McRoberts was making shots but the offense was getting "good shots" for once and not just middling around in half-court offense...I mean, we assisted on 27 of 44 made shots.....thats a 61% assist percentage, thats great....and the fact that he communicates so well on defense, wheres ball and man, calling out "PnR' coverage's, point's out rotations, it makes up for the lack of length and size we have going small......hes the type of player I would feel comfortable with in the 4th qtr because of his high basketball IQ and team morale

I know its only one game, but I've waited all year for a game like this and Im honestly so happy because even though its just one game, I still think it gave glimpses of what an usable line-up looks like in a possible post-Bosh world

beasted86
02-20-2016, 12:21 AM
It's only a matter of time before McRoberts is injured again. It's not "if" at this point anymore.

I'm happy to see the ball movement and them able to create transition opportunities with defense, but this play isn't sustainable IMO. Just one good night. I expect them to struggle with getting a good look most nights.

Mr. Baller
02-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Deng at the 4 = profit

All-In
02-20-2016, 01:00 AM
It's only a matter of time before McRoberts is injured again. It's not "if" at this point anymore.

I'm happy to see the ball movement and them able to create transition opportunities with defense, but this play isn't sustainable IMO. Just one good night. I expect them to struggle with getting a good look most nights.

So McRoberts at the 5 line-ups wouldn't get good looks most nights in comparison to what? Are usual offense? The one thats 23rd in the league in offensive rating? Or how about the one that has the 7th worst assist percentage? Or better yet, the one thats 3rd last in 3pt percentage and 5th last in 3-pointers made? I hate to break it to you, but we already suck on offense.....We struggle to get good looks most nights as is......I mean, Josh Richardson had an offensive rating of 125.4 tonight in 20 minutes played tonight!...When the hell have you seen that this year?

All Im trying to say is, why go away from it? Why not play it out and see what it can become because it really does create more space and more space typically leads to good looks, like seriously, do you really trust Whiteside more than McRoberts in a 4th qtr?.....I really hope they dont go away from it

All-In
02-20-2016, 01:04 AM
Deng at the 4 = profit

The Dragic/Deng "PnR" was a money maker

dimgim
02-20-2016, 04:15 AM
You remove ball stoppers like Wade and Whiteside and the offense can flow defense can't get set.

beasted86
02-20-2016, 08:22 AM
So McRoberts at the 5 line-ups wouldn't get good looks most nights in comparison to what? Are usual offense? The one thats 23rd in the league in offensive rating? Or how about the one that has the 7th worst assist percentage? Or better yet, the one thats 3rd last in 3pt percentage and 5th last in 3-pointers made? I hate to break it to you, but we already suck on offense.....We struggle to get good looks most nights as is......I mean, Josh Richardson had an offensive rating of 125.4 tonight in 20 minutes played tonight!...When the hell have you seen that this year?

All Im trying to say is, why go away from it? Why not play it out and see what it can become because it really does create more space and more space typically leads to good looks, like seriously, do you really trust Whiteside more than McRoberts in a 4th qtr?.....I really hope they dont go away from it

You're overlooking some key details. We're not going to get a 28-13 win in FT attempts every night. You're also not going to consistently get the other team's best scorer in foul trouble and break his rhythm the whole night. The HEAT sure as hell will not get that contribution from McRoberts off the bench every night or even 1 out of 3 nights.

Everything seemingly clicked and guys who started off with bad nights turned it up and as a team we shot 50%, and with everything running almost perfect we barely edged out a 4 point win, because at the end of the day you saw in the 4th what you'll see over the bigger majority of the game against other teams... They can hit 3s and at best we are going to get 2 at the other end.

Look, I'm not some negative Nancy. I hope they can keep some of these elements going that will lead to more success, but as a complete package you cannot rely on some of the guys to play the way they played against the Hawks. It's really just one good win and hopefully they can build off of it seeing what they did right outside of guys just making shots.

SteBO
02-20-2016, 08:38 AM
Honestly, for as a great a win as last night was, I think this says a lot about the Hawks losing at home to a team that dressed 9 players, none of which were Wade, Bosh, and Whiteside. We've got to incorporate the elements we saw offensively to what we do when all 3 of those guys are out there, mostly two of them given Bosh's status.

Deng had a 30 point game last year @Dallas and never sniffed that again if I recall correctly, and as far as McRoberts goes, yeah probably the same deal. Good win, but I'm still a pretty big skeptic.

Mr. Baller
02-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Forgot one more thing...

Point McBob = $$$.

If we get half of that every game from him (if he stays healthy) we are such a better team. He makes everybody around him better.

dimgim
02-20-2016, 10:54 AM
You guys are missing the point. Wade can't play at the pace the offense was humming last night and Whiteside is the worst passer in the league who gives up more in position defense than is gained from his shot blocking.

CHANGO
02-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Didn't watch the game but I've been saying that we need a most faster pace. If that's the case, maybe that's a hint on how to play for the better of the team.

But yeah, this win says more about the Hawks than the Wade-Bosh-Whiteside-less HEAT.

hotdalton18
02-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Wtf McBob?

What was that?

Where has it been?

Crazy lol

hotdalton18
02-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Dragic also looked good with no Wade

So like I said

Dragic needs to come off the bench

He should always be on the floor when wades not

All-In
02-20-2016, 08:08 PM
You're overlooking some key details. We're not going to get a 28-13 win in FT attempts every night. You're also not going to consistently get the other team's best scorer in foul trouble and break his rhythm the whole night. The HEAT sure as hell will not get that contribution from McRoberts off the bench every night or even 1 out of 3 nights.

Everything seemingly clicked and guys who started off with bad nights turned it up and as a team we shot 50%, and with everything running almost perfect we barely edged out a 4 point win, because at the end of the day you saw in the 4th what you'll see over the bigger majority of the game against other teams... They can hit 3s and at best we are going to get 2 at the other end.

Look, I'm not some negative Nancy. I hope they can keep some of these elements going that will lead to more success, but as a complete package you cannot rely on some of the guys to play the way they played against the Hawks. It's really just one good win and hopefully they can build off of it seeing what they did right outside of guys just making shots.

We have played McRoberts at the 5 line-ups at spurts multiple times this season, and every time it created more "good" shot attempts with additional space, this was just the first game that Spo had no choice but to go with it for long stretches, I mean, in theory, a McRoberts at the 5 line-up should get more "good shot" attempts compared to a Whiteside/Wade half-court offense......now.....that doesn't mean we'll make those shots because of our poor outside shooting, but finding the best possible shot per possession is all we can ask for now that Bosh is out

I think theres two wing players on our team that screws up McRoberts at the 5 for us: Wade and Green

Wade because he will take over the offense with slow high pick-and-rolls making everyone else on the floor stand still and almost directly knocking McRoberts of his rhythm offensively, and Wade cant shoot 3's (or at least he wont shoot them) so the defender on him would play middle closer, But I would MUCH rather him over Green because Green's an idiot who takes "bad shots" no matter the circumstance, Wade might slow the pace down and crunch spacing but at least he find's cutter's, shoots well from mid-range and makes heady plays .......I wish TJ was healthy, Dragic, TJ, Winslow, Deng, and McRoberts, I think that line-up would be our best if Bosh was out for a while

Now, I never said McRoberts will give you that type of production on a nightly basis, or Deng will shoot 11 of 17 from the field, and I dont care about Free Throw disparity or star-player foul trouble......To sum everything up, I rather lose a game knowing that a majority of our shot attempts were "good shots" compared to winning a game taking a majority of our shot attempts as "bad shots," to me, its all about building good habits, win or lose.....with no Bosh and unreliable Whiteside...we're kind of out of options

All-In
02-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Wtf McBob?

What was that?

Where has it been?

Crazy lol

All year long McRoberts has been line driving his shots, more often than not clanking but yesterday he actually started to put some arc on his shots, getting more air, it was nice to see for a change........Now, will that continue? For us Heat fans, we can only hope

CHANGO
02-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Dragic also looked good with no Wade

So like I said

Dragic needs to come off the bench

He should always be on the floor when wades not

Dragic without Wade always produce good numbers, I think this has to do with the pace honestly. I'm repeating myself here but I think a fast pace with Dragic controlling the ball would help us a lot. We are one of the oldest teams but I'm sure Wade, Bosh and Deng can run a little sometimes.

beasted86
02-20-2016, 08:43 PM
@All-In...
I still can't agree with the majority of what you're saying.

Good shots and bad shots are always subjective. Dragić driving 1 on 2 or 3 in transition most the time is a good shot. Wade pivoting towards the baseline for a fade away midrange is often times a good shot. Would I rather them work a motion offensive set that creates a Winslow uncontested 3? I'd rather Wade take some more contested midrange shots being completely honest with you.

There are some guys who just take bad selfish shots and it's not really Wade even though everyone likes to complain about his usage rate. It's Whiteside forcing up put backs or isolation post ups and Green flinging up every long jumper he can.

Anyway, let's see how things go tonight.

All-In
02-21-2016, 06:50 PM
@All-In...
I still can't agree with the majority of what you're saying.

Good shots and bad shots are always subjective. Dragić driving 1 on 2 or 3 in transition most the time is a good shot. Wade pivoting towards the baseline for a fade away midrange is often times a good shot. Would I rather them work a motion offensive set that creates a Winslow uncontested 3? I'd rather Wade take some more contested midrange shots being completely honest with you.

There are some guys who just take bad selfish shots and it's not really Wade even though everyone likes to complain about his usage rate. It's Whiteside forcing up put backs or isolation post ups and Green flinging up every long jumper he can.

Anyway, let's see how things go tonight.

What action that leads to the shot is more important than the shot itself, thats kind of the point that I was making about McRoberts at the 5 line-up, different offensive scheme's lead to different shot opportunity's.....so what Im talking about isn't as basic as you mentioned....."good shots" and "bad shots" are subjective but you simplified my point because offensive scheme dictates flow which dictates shot opportunity's....so talking about the subjectivity of shots is all fine and dandy but that has nothing to do with the scheme of McRoberts at the 5

The funny thing is we didnt go to it once yesterday