PDA

View Full Version : Steve Novak: What can he offer?

JasonJohnHorn
02-19-2016, 11:36 PM
I remember watching games with him in NY, and though I was never impressed with his D, that dude could shoot!

The Knicks made back-to-back playoff appearances with him in the rotation, and though he wasn't a major part, he was taking 4 or 5 shots a game.

Currently, he's getting 3 minutes a game (I assume he's being brought in on the last plays of the quarter to spread the floor like P-Jax did with Hodges and Pop does with Boner), but I haven't seen him play much.

Does he got anything? Is he a huge liability on defense? Why is he not being used? He's hitting 3's at .556 right now, and though I would expect that to drop if he were shooting more, he's still a career .432 3pt shooter, which is exactly the kind of efficiency a team needs to compete with the likes of GSW.

I'm a little ignorant on Novak. Anybody care to fill me in? Does he have something to offer? Where might he fit? Should GSW snag him up before somebody else does?

HeartOfStarks
02-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Knicks fan here (obviously). I haven't watched him much since he left us, but he's basically a guy who almost doesn't miss an open J, including an open 3. As close to automatic as you can get on that.

But that is literally the beginning and end of it. Literally. If a 6 foot tall guy runs up on him or is guarding him he'll miss. Has to be an open shot. And there's nothing else to his game.

HeartOfStarks
02-19-2016, 11:47 PM
I did love shouting "The Dentist!!" Though everytime he made a shot lol. Miss that.

IndyRealist
02-20-2016, 01:54 AM
Discount double checks.

shep33
02-20-2016, 02:07 AM
6 fouls

ManningToTyree
02-20-2016, 02:48 AM
He's an exceptional spot up shooter. He doesn't do anything else. He can't put the ball in the floor or create his own shot. It's just catch and shoot. Teams just need a guy up in his face and his entire value is eliminated. He brings zero on the defensive end. He's not a good rebounder. He's a nice guy lol.

KnicksorBust
02-20-2016, 09:41 AM
He's an exceptional spot up shooter. Teams just need a guy up in his face and his entire value is eliminated. .

But that is also his value. Drawing defenders out of the paint to space the floor for penetration.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Put him with Lebron, he'll get a ton of open looks. Or he'll open up the lane for Lebron.

ManningToTyree
02-20-2016, 12:03 PM
He's an exceptional spot up shooter. Teams just need a guy up in his face and his entire value is eliminated. .

But that is also his value. Drawing defenders out of the paint to space the floor for penetration. very true but in a playoff series this can be game planned for. Like when the Heat completely made him useless when they knocked out the Knicks in round one a few years back.

xbrackattackx
02-20-2016, 01:00 PM
He could bring good spot up shooting and leadership to a Dleague/Euro team.

R. Johnson#3
02-20-2016, 07:06 PM
He could very well be one of the worst defenders in the entire league but he's a sniper only on a catch and shoot.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-20-2016, 07:28 PM
If he clears waivers he's signing with Bucks. Report from ESPN Marc Stein. Bucks will waive Copeland to make room for Novak. Novak is a upgrade over Copeland. Pretty much rearranging deck chairs on titanic. Gives us another 3 point shooter. Also he's from Marquette.

D-Leethal
02-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Best stand still shooter in the NBA, probably even better than Curry if we're talking wide open catch and shoot 3s. Not athletic enough to get any shots off curls or creative design, so his FGA are always going to be capped around 4-6 per game at best. He is easily checked by guards so the stretch 4 allure of drawing big men out of the paint doesn't really apply to him - I remember Jason Terry making him a non-factor in a playoff series. His defense and rebounding is atrocious and he is extremely slow and weak so he needs to play stretch 4 next to a big athletic defensive 5 who can cover a lot of ground. Tyson Chandler was a good fit next to him because he could make up a lot of ground and hold down the paint by himself when he was playing next to a guy like Novak.

It's hard to make Novak a net positive on the floor because he needs to be banging 3s at a high rate and he doesn't have many different ways to get looks. He doesn't really help as a decoy because you can adjust your lineup and D him up with a guard.

D-Leethal
02-20-2016, 09:54 PM
He lit up the Garden though, give him props for that run. He was a big part of that 54 win team, which was quite an anomaly the way they played ball and shot 3s at an all time rate.

D-Leethal
02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
But that is also his value. Drawing defenders out of the paint to space the floor for penetration.

Not really when the opposition can play an extra guard in their lineup, glue to him with the little guy and dominate the matchup with speed on the other end.

Chronz
02-20-2016, 10:44 PM

Yeah but hes getting at the fact that he can be defended by smaller players so they rarely draw out the big defensive players. Hes not a true stretch-4 for that reason imo

ManningToTyree
02-21-2016, 04:16 AM

Yeah but hes getting at the fact that he can be defended by smaller players so they rarely draw out the big defensive players. Hes not a true stretch-4 for that reason imo yup

Sly Guy
02-22-2016, 01:13 PM
3 point shooting is pretty much it. I wasn't exactly impressed with the one-dimensional game when he was in Toronto. That, and his 3 point shot still didn't 'wow' me.

IndyRealist
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Novak looked really good in the freeform pick n pop the Knicks ran with Lin and Amare. He was ideally suited to be that 5th guy in the corner. In more robust systems his limitations came out.

b_russ
02-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Good locker room guy. Honestly, his defense is worse than his 3 point ability is good, so he's more of a liability on the floor than a positive difference maker. I wouldn't peg him necessarily as "instant offense" when he comes off the bench cold.

JAZZNC
02-22-2016, 02:49 PM
He could offer cups of Gatorade to guys who are actuall playing???