PDA

View Full Version : Cavs unfair to Anderson-V?

JasonJohnHorn
02-19-2016, 04:50 PM
One of the headlines on PSD suggest that the Cavs were not as loyal to Anderson-V as they could have been:

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/anderson-varejao-deserved-better-by-the-cleveland-cavaliers-396423.html

I did feel that several years ago, when the traded Big Z, that they were not being very loyal to him. He made it clear that he wanted to stay with the team. But business is business.

With that said, I didn't think that the Varejao traded was along the same lines. Now, when Varejao was up for a new contract a couple of seasons back, the Cavs gave him a health contract, despite the fact that Anderson-V had not had a healthy season since... 2009?

He's only ever played more than 75 games 3 times in his career. He's a great energy player and a hard worker, but he's simply never been health.

But last year, despite not having player an entire season every during his career, and despite averaging fewer than 50 games a seasons, the Cavs gave Varejao a deal that pays about 10 million a year, and one that lasts until 2018, which is pretty good since he signed the deal when he was already on the wrong side of 30.

To me, giving him that contract was where their loyalty was. Then ensured that he would be getting paid, despite his health issues, and rewarded him for his hard work and loyalty.

But business is business, and he was a tradable piece this year. They are going with younger guys who are healthy and can be depended on in the long-run. They moved him, but no before ensuring that he had a spot in the league and a pay cheque to book for the next 3 years.

I didn't think this was a act of disloyalty. I thought they treated him fairly. But some seem to disagree.

What are your thoughts?

phantasyyy
02-19-2016, 05:05 PM
10million to warm the bench will do that for you. I mean sure he's only been with the Cavs his entire tenure, but with the owner going way deep into the luxury tax for Cleveland to finally win that elusive championship any piece that the team feels will put them over the top will be exhausted.

As you have stated their loyalty was reciprocated when they gave him that huge contract - in relation to pleasing Bron as well but you just cant be making that much money while not having an impact on the game that is being played. He really doesn't check any needs for the Cavs anymore with Moz being their biggest C, Love their offensive big, and TT their best defender/rebounder. Especially with Love and TT pretty much on max contracts, Bron capable of playing the 4 and the impending free agency of Moz.

That said with Andy being waived by the Blazers he is able to pocket that contract and still be able to find another team before the playoffs begin this year.

Slug3
02-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Its a business still. I am sure if Lebron want to keep Anderson over getting better than he would have probably said something to try and get the Cavs to keep him. But he knows he wants to get better as well and Anderson was often injured or warming the bench.

Cavs have been burnt before when they let Boozer out of his contract and he gave them good faith he was going to resign with them but instead took more money to go somewhere else when the Cavs didn't have to let him out of that contract. In the end, this is always a business and Anderson is still going to get money. He can even go and get on another championship contending team now.

sep11ie
02-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Not a Cavs fan, but was he not making like 12 mill a year for like 40 games a season?

Kush McDaniels
02-19-2016, 06:21 PM
does anyone really care though

Kush McDaniels
02-19-2016, 06:28 PM
... and if anyone actually has a problem with this, it's just you having a problem with "Lebron the GM." How can you seriously make a loyalty comment? Every single player in the league gets signed to a contract of some length, and players still get traded on the regular. "Loyalty" comments are just silly. Get a no trade clause if you want "loyalty" from your organization.

lakerfan85
02-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Cavs have to be concerned with winning a title.. At this point in their careers, Frye is the better player..

DboneG
02-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Right...who cares. He might make it back to the Cavs, if he get bought out. The Cavs only have 13 players on their roster. I think the Blazers put Varejao on waivers. Anyway, he has a front office job with the Cavs the if he want it. Channing Frye is soft, but, he can shoot better than Varejao. And they have their scrappy hustler type player in Tristan Thompson.

lakerfan85
02-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Right...who cares. He might make it back to the Cavs, if he get bought out. The Cavs only have 13 players on their roster. I think the Blazers put Varejao on waivers. Anyway, he has a front office job with the Cavs the if he want it. Channing Frye is soft, but, he can shoot better than Varejao. And they have their scrappy hustler type player in Tristan Thompson.

I think he has to wait a year before he can sign back with the Cavs..

dhopisthename
02-19-2016, 07:31 PM
for 203 games played in 6 seasons(33 games average) he got 61 million dollars including an extension. its his bodies fault he isn't in cleveland anymore.

BKLYNpigeon
02-19-2016, 07:38 PM
who cares, its just anderson verajao, lol.

we will all forget who he was in about 5 years.

likemystylez
02-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Not a Cavs fan, but was he not making like 12 mill a year for like 40 games a season?

exactly- it blows me away how guys can sit there and just collect a paycheck while looking for reasons to sit out each and every game even during the playoffs. I mean if it isn't a paul George situation and you gotta pulse- if your team is in the nba finals you should be expected to be playing

likemystylez
02-19-2016, 09:18 PM
for 203 games played in 6 seasons(33 games average) he got 61 million dollars including an extension. its his bodies fault he isn't in cleveland anymore.

nothing to do with his body, its all about desire. if paul George can find the desire within to come back from his injury and play like a star- there is no excuse for anything valerjo has dealt with if he has the motivation inside. some guys just don't want it bad enough (ie Andrew Bynum).

Kush McDaniels
02-19-2016, 11:12 PM
nothing to do with his body, its all about desire. if paul George can find the desire within to come back from his injury and play like a star- there is no excuse for anything valerjo has dealt with if he has the motivation inside. some guys just don't want it bad enough (ie Andrew Bynum).

If only we could bottle the desire power and send it to all the injured players out there. I'm sure Grant Hill needed some more desire. Derrick Rose could use it too. How dare they not have the desire to play a whole season!

Raps08-09 Champ
02-20-2016, 01:47 AM
You don't get paid $12 mil for loyalty. The guy was injured most of that contract and he wasn't fitting into what they wanted to do.

kpjets
02-20-2016, 07:17 AM
by overpaying him with the last two contracts.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Cavs made a mistake giving that contract to him in the first place. Now they finally decided he wasn't worth it. He can rejoin them on vet minimum next season. He could end up on the Hawks to replace injured Splitter. Maybe Miami if Bosh missed games.

TrueFan420
02-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Wouldn't mind the Warriors taking a flyer on him for the vet min

Shady66
02-20-2016, 12:04 PM
If only we could bottle the desire power and send it to all the injured players out there. I'm sure Grant Hill needed some more desire. Derrick Rose could use it too. How dare they not have the desire to play a whole season!
Bill Walton had no desire obviously

Yanks All Day
02-20-2016, 01:01 PM
2015-16: 2.6 ppg and 2.9 rpg -- 31 games $10 million
2014-15: 9.8 ppg and 6.5 rpg -- 26 games $9.7 million
2013-14: 8.4 ppg and 6.8 rpg -- 65 games $9 million
2012-13: 14.1 ppg and 14.4 rpg -- 25 games $8 million
2011-12:10.8 ppg and 11.5 rpg -- 25 games $6.1 million
2010-11: 9.8 ppg and 9.7 rpg -- 31 games $7 million

They were plenty loyal to him. He hasn't played a full season in years, and he still got a huge deal. Anyone who thinks otherwise has a pretty lofty standard of "loyal."

Vinylman
02-20-2016, 02:15 PM
hope he goes to he dubs

Kush McDaniels
02-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Bill Walton had no desire obviously

Yeah, **** that guy. No desire from within.

Vee-Rex
02-20-2016, 05:04 PM
2015-16: 2.6 ppg and 2.9 rpg -- 31 games $10 million
2014-15: 9.8 ppg and 6.5 rpg -- 26 games $9.7 million
2013-14: 8.4 ppg and 6.8 rpg -- 65 games $9 million
2012-13: 14.1 ppg and 14.4 rpg -- 25 games $8 million
2011-12:10.8 ppg and 11.5 rpg -- 25 games $6.1 million
2010-11: 9.8 ppg and 9.7 rpg -- 31 games $7 million

They were plenty loyal to him. He hasn't played a full season in years, and he still got a huge deal. Anyone who thinks otherwise has a pretty lofty standard of "loyal."

Or they just, you know, are looking for any way to try to hate on and attack the Cavs.

CHANGO
02-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Loyalty is overrated. There is no loyalty when things are going wrong. There is no loyalty when there are greater goals. Sorry, not sorry.

prodigy
02-21-2016, 05:27 AM
who cares, its just anderson verajao, lol.

we will all forget who he was in about 5 years.

That's ignorant. you can say the same thing about 95% of players in this league. and I guess you care seeing as you took time out to comment

kobe4thewinbang
02-21-2016, 04:59 PM
LOL, what a traitor. He seems bitter.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14817193/sources-say-golden-state-warriors-favored-sign-anderson-varejao

BKLYNpigeon
02-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Verajao on the Warriors. lol

He's gonna win one for The Land!

R. Johnson#3
02-21-2016, 05:28 PM
11.5 seasons with Cleveland and he wasn't even healthy for half the time he was there.

Scoots
02-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Warriors down 3 bigs and Andy was probably the best big available.

It's a no brainer.

I'd love it if Andy was mad at the Cavs and gave Draymond lots of dirt to use in his future trash talk :) But I doubt that happens.