PDA

View Full Version : Trade: Foye to OKC for 2 2nds and DJ Augustin

Scoots
02-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Deadline approaches, teams trying to win and looking to lose making deals.

kdspurman
02-18-2016, 02:35 PM
https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/700386655610544128?lang=en

Scoots
02-18-2016, 02:38 PM
And Novak.

OKC still looking for a SG who can score, shoot, and defend. (That last one Harden failed at too)

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 02:58 PM
And Novak.

OKC still looking for a SG who can score, shoot, and defend. (That last one Harden failed at too)

Seems like a lot. I know Foye's rep is up this year, but....

Vinylman
02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
nice salary dump by OKC... probably saves them 6-7 million between salary and LT

flea
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Good deal, DJ wasn't needed and 2nd rounders are garbage for a team like the Thunder. SG was only position of concern and now they've got a 3-headed monster of defense, shooting, and some modicum of scoring ability. It's not super inspiring but for a team as strong as they are otherwise it's nice to have depth at your weak position.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Does Foye get consistent minutes in OKC?

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:47 PM
2nd rounders are garbage for a team like the Thunder.

Sure, they couldn't use players like Khris Middleton, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green, Paul Milsap, Manu Ginobli, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Chandler Parsons, Monta Ellis, Kyle Korver, Danny Green, Marcin Gortat, Hassan Whiteside, Trevor Ariza, Mo Williams, Patrick Beverly, Nikola Pekovic ... all 2nd round picks IIRC and all would help OKC this year.

Don't undervalue 2nd round picks just because they often fail ... sometimes they pay back HUGE!

The problem is the NBA doesn't foster an environment to develop players over multiple seasons and 2nd round picks often take longer to contribute.

flea
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Sure, they couldn't use players like Khris Middleton, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green, Paul Milsap, Manu Ginobli, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Chandler Parsons, Monta Ellis, Kyle Korver, Danny Green, Marcin Gortat, Hassan Whiteside, Trevor Ariza, Mo Williams, Patrick Beverly, Nikola Pekovic ... all 2nd round picks IIRC and all would help OKC this year.

Don't undervalue 2nd round picks just because they often fail ... sometimes they pay back HUGE!

The problem is the NBA doesn't foster an environment to develop players over multiple seasons and 2nd round picks often take longer to contribute.

I am not going to bother to look it up but I'm sure none of those are bottom 10 picks in the draft, and certainly none are bottom 5. Comparing them to high 2nd rounders is pointless because those drafts are by and large useless. And anyway your last paragraph is the point - the Thunder are trying to win now, not draft a crappy player and hope he turns into something good in 5 years.

xbrackattackx
02-18-2016, 03:58 PM
I am not going to bother to look it up but I'm sure none of those are bottom 10 picks in the draft, and certainly none are bottom 5. Comparing them to high 2nd rounders is pointless because those drafts are by and large useless. And anyway your last paragraph is the point - the Thunder are trying to win now, not draft a crappy player and hope he turns into something good in 5 years.

Look it up before you say that.

Or I can just say you are wrong and save you time.

Lemme know.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Isaiah Thomas was drafted at the bottom of the 2nd round (60th pick) ... all-star this year. Marc Gasol, Danny Green, Patty Mills, Goran Dragic, Ramon Sessions, Marcin Gortat, Mo Williams, Kyle Korver, Luis Scola, Matt Barnes were drafted late in the 2nd. Then there are the guys who could help OKC who went undrafted.

My point was simply that 2nd round picks ARE useful. They are also cheap ... you can buy them most years ... even high 2nd round picks. And teams should always be building for the future, not just one year.

But I get your point.

LOb0
02-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Lol another stiff added to the team, confirming more of OKCs waste of Durant and Westbrook's primes.

CodeRed
02-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Good trade for the Nuggets. Foye is a good veteran for the locker room, and I'm happy for him that he gets to play for a contender, but he's been awful on the court the last couple years. He might have a game where he can't miss from three but most of the time he's pretty worthless on the court. Nelson is hurt, and likely out for the season, so Augustine will be able to fill in at backup PG. Novak will be bought out. The two second round picks are gold though. Connely, our GM, has done very well in the second round. Lauvergne is a good rotation big and Jokic is only 19 and has shown flashes of being a very good, if not great, player.

Vinylman
02-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Isaiah Thomas was drafted at the bottom of the 2nd round (60th pick) ... all-star this year. Marc Gasol, Danny Green, Patty Mills, Goran Dragic, Ramon Sessions, Marcin Gortat, Mo Williams, Kyle Korver, Luis Scola, Matt Barnes were drafted late in the 2nd. Then there are the guys who could help OKC who went undrafted.

My point was simply that 2nd round picks ARE useful. They are also cheap ... you can buy them most years ... even high 2nd round picks. And teams should always be building for the future, not just one year.

But I get your point.

they are worthless to OKC because you can buy a high second rounder for around $1 million ... those OKC picks will be around 55-60 at best...

Of course because of how the deal was structured they will be able to buy the equivalent of another 7-8 picks because of the LT savings without it costing them anything...

Hawkeye15
02-19-2016, 02:25 PM

for all the names you mentioned, multiply by a LOT, and you get the names of guys who never even made the league...

Pekovic for example, was graded a first round talent, but every team knew his Euro team had him under contract for 3 more seasons. He was going to be the 31st pick for any team that had it, the Wolves just happened to be the one...

and if you want, you can always buy back into the 2nd round. A team like Minnesota this year, will probably sell it to you, they don't need more young players, and would use it on a euro stash anyways

Scoots
02-19-2016, 03:00 PM
I said in my initial post in support of 2nd round picks that you can buy them. My only point was very simple ... 2nd round picks are not worthless. They have value. It's not a lot, but good teams build a long chain of developing players because you can't survive/sustain long term without doing that with the current CBA.

Hawkeye15
02-19-2016, 03:04 PM
I said in my initial post in support of 2nd round picks that you can buy them. My only point was very simple ... 2nd round picks are not worthless. They have value. It's not a lot, but good teams build a long chain of developing players because you can't survive/sustain long term without doing that with the current CBA.

I think they are essentially worthless when they are at the tail end of the 2nd round. The examples of contributing players versus non contributing, or never showed up in the league, is very low

Scoots
02-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I think they are essentially worthless when they are at the tail end of the 2nd round. The examples of contributing players versus non contributing, or never showed up in the league, is very low

Part of the value of even late 2nd round picks is trades like this :) If they were worthless teams wouldn't even want them.

The Warriors who are regularly called the deepest team in the NBA has 2 undrafted players ... those players were available for those late 2nd round picks.

Anthony Morrow was undrafted ... he was available with a 2nd round pick.

Hawkeye15
02-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Part of the value of even late 2nd round picks is trades like this :) If they were worthless teams wouldn't even want them.

The Warriors who are regularly called the deepest team in the NBA has 2 undrafted players ... those players were available for those late 2nd round picks.

Anthony Morrow was undrafted ... he was available with a 2nd round pick.

omg fine haha, useless they are not. But nobody loses sleep over flipping a 2nd rounder

Scoots
02-19-2016, 05:44 PM
omg fine haha, useless they are not. But nobody loses sleep over flipping a 2nd rounder

That is probably true ... unless you are the nets who have so little these days :)

BKLYNpigeon
02-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Sam Presti is great at Drafting, but terrible at Trading.