PDA

View Full Version : Cavs get Channing Frye, Varejao to Blazers

Nikeman
02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
David Aldridge: Source confirms three-team deal with Channing Frye going to Cleveland, Varejao to Portland, picks/players to Orlando. USA Today firs

*Superman*
02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Read Magic got Cunningham and 2nd from Cavs. Another cap space move, which was expected. Wish we added some kind of rim protection with Kaman though.

DanG
02-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Andy V has stayed with a ****** Cavs team for years and now gets traded. Sucks for him.

Wade n Fade
02-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Why would GM LeBron do this move? He wanted Varajao to stay put w/ him in Cleveland. Now, he got rid of him. That's like Wade getting UD traded. How did he ever consider that? Plus, Frye has been irrelevant for ages.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Excellent move, another stretch Big sniper for Bron.

Also gives them wiggle room if they decide to move Love.

Andy is great but became expendable with TT's emergence.

The Cavs are stacking the roster and going all in this season, props to them!

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Potentially a really good deal for the Cavs.

Channing Frye is more of a stretch 5 than 4, and can snipe long range. He has always been an average defender (which is good for us) so he shouldn't be a liability on that end. Very intelligent player too.

Cavs give up Varejao, who stayed hurt and didn't play much, along with Cunningham who didn't play much, and a conditional 1st round pick.

That conditional 1st round pick concerns me a tiny bit, but we'll see if it was all worth it.

Scoots
Andy's crazy activity will be missed (assuming he was healthy) in the playoffs.

cmellofan15
Why would GM LeBron do this move? He wanted Varajao to stay put w/ him in Cleveland. Now, he got rid of him. That's like Wade getting UD traded. How did he ever consider that? Plus, Frye has been irrelevant for ages.

maybe because Lebron isn't the GM? I'm guessing you wouldn't consider that when you're sizing up your opportunity to take a jab at Lebron

lamzoka

They still not beating the Warriors.

kdspurman
02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Frye will help spread the floor for sure. Defensively is another story lol but helps their offensive firepower

shep33
02-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Cavs are throwing away future picks, so they better win a title soon

BKLYNpigeon
02-18-2016, 02:47 PM
ehh. doesn't really move the needle.

shep33
02-18-2016, 02:49 PM
When is he gonna play? He's basically in Andy's position now. TT, Moz, Love... Unless Moz gets less mins

kingkenny01
02-18-2016, 02:56 PM
I guess they want to use frye in some small ball lineups against the Warriors, where all 5 can shoot the 3 or a more defensive lineup and take out love

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Here's the Cavs big men status:

Love/Frye
Thompson/Mozgov

Mozgov is trending downward REALLY fast. Frye will have plenty of opportunities to get minutes, even in the playoffs.

Frye is like a better 3-point shooting Love with better defense (it's only average, but still better than Love). So I could see that being useful for certain stretches. Frye's offense is nowhere near as good as Love's, neither his rebounding or passing.

Most Orlando fans (that I've seen) seem to think it was a good pickup for the Cavs.

ewing
02-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Love/Frye
Thompson/Mozgov

Mozgov is trending downward REALLY fast. Frye will have plenty of opportunities to get minutes, even in the playoffs.

Frye is like a better 3-point shooting Love with better defense (it's only average, but still better than Love). So I could see that being useful for certain stretches. Frye's offense is nowhere near as good as Love's, neither his rebounding or passing.

Most Orlando fans (that I've seen) seem to think it was a good pickup for the Cavs.

LeBron makes stand still shooters better. Frye has a beautiful shot. Its a good fit

Vinylman
02-18-2016, 03:09 PM
meh as far as the deal...

what is interesting is the salary commitment for 2 extra years on Frye

flea
02-18-2016, 03:10 PM
If this deal signals a Love move I think it's a bad deal (pending the Love return of course, but I can't imagine it would be greater than what Love provides now).

If this deal just means Frye gets James Jones's minutes as a stretch 4 and maybe some of Mozgov's minutes I like it. I still think the Cavs need Mozgov if they're going all the way as he's their best rim protector, but it sounds like Lebron wants to maximize Lebronball and this move certainly helps that.

Vinylman
02-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Love/Frye
Thompson/Mozgov

the bolded is hilarious... can't wait for him to get away from Cleveland so he can flourish next year

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 03:15 PM

They still not beating the Warriors.

They were up 2-1 on them with a game 4 on their home floor without Frye/ Love/ Kyrie/ Mo Williams.....

I'd happily take my chances with those additions around Bron in a rematch.

There is also the chance something bizarre happens and the Dubs don't make it back to the Finals, in which case the Cavs would be the prohibitive favorite.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Are the Cavs allergic to adding small forwards younger than LeBron? At this point it seems to me LeBron should be playing the 4 more than he is ... so Irving, Shumpert, Smith, LeBron ... Frye? 3 guys who shoot 3s, Shumpert and some guys who can defend on a good night ... I don't know about the intelligence and decision making of 3 of those guys though.

I guess we can all agree that it's interesting ... I'll be watching to see how this plays out.

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 03:18 PM
They were up 2-1 on them with a game 4 on their home floor without Frye/ Love/ Kyrie/ Mo Williams.....

There is also the chance something bizarre happens and the Dubs don't make it back to the Finals, in which case the Cavs would be the prohibitive favorite.

Something bizzare happening to the Warriors is about as likely as something bizzare happening to the Cavs and not making the finals.

bucketss
02-18-2016, 03:18 PM

people are exaggerating lebrons role in the front office. andy gone,miller gone... both brons favorite people.

Vinylman
02-18-2016, 03:19 PM

bolded is laughable ... spurs would be huge favorites

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 03:20 PM
the bolded is hilarious... can't wait for him to get away from Cleveland so he can flourish next year

Idk, he's sucking really badly. Can't shoot, can't finish around the rim, can't catch balls, highly turnover prone, and to make matters worse, he can't even protect the rim (he only has ONE job lol). Maybe he just isn't the same after the offseason surgery? The Cavs aren't simply cutting his minutes - he has been really horrible.

Maybe it'll change, but if it doesn't then no one will be lamenting his departure.

FWIW, looks like the Cavs absorbed Frye's contract into their trade exception and created ANOTHER trade exception with Anderson Varejao's departure.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:23 PM

They were up 2-1 on a Warriors team that was suffering a bit in the bright lights and before the small-ball lineup change. Since then the Warriors got a lot better.

That said, I've said since day 1 that LeBron's finals performance, regardless of efficiency, was the best job ANYONE had done to slow and disrupt the Warriors offense. I think had Irving and Love been healthy the gameplan would have been wildly different and it's impossible to predict how the outcome would have changed ... but I'm eager to see the re-match this year.

And if the Warriors lose, I think the Cavs have their hands full with the Spurs, OKC too.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Is this the biggest move of the deadline so far? :laugh:

Vinylman
02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Idk, he's sucking really badly. Can't shoot, can't finish around the rim, can't catch balls, highly turnover prone, and to make matters worse, he can't even protect the rim (he only has ONE job lol). Maybe he just isn't the same after the offseason surgery? The Cavs aren't simply cutting his minutes - he has been really horrible.

Maybe it'll change, but if it doesn't then no one will be lamenting his departure.

FWIW, looks like the Cavs absorbed Frye's contract into their trade exception and created ANOTHER trade exception with Anderson Varejao's departure.

trade exception is usually a good thing but probably irrelevant next year when everyone is under the cap and won't need to dump people...

How many future first round picks do the cavs have?

bucketss
02-18-2016, 03:29 PM

hes kind of sucky now but i think he will get a decent contract largely due to his play last year, he might flourish but than again i don't think he was doing much before cleveland.

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
trade exception is usually a good thing but probably irrelevant next year when everyone is under the cap and won't need to dump people...

We have the 2017 1st rounder, 2019 and so on. So only missing the 2018 pick that we just traded today (which is conditional top 10 protected).

All these 1st round picks we've traded were picks we've accumulated from different teams. We've also traded a ton of 2nd round picks, but that doesn't matter much.

Edit: Here's the link:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Cavaliers.htm

All those 1st rounds we traded were additional 1st rounds we had over the years since LeBron left.

Our future is just fine, assuming we don't go crazy with trading our other 1st rounds.

We couldn't trade our 2017 1st round because it would've been a consecutive year.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:31 PM

The Sixers are always willing to take contracts for picks ... the Cavs can add a player another team is tired of independent of their cap hit just the same way next year.[/quote]

Assuming the NBA never folds ... an infinite number :)

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:33 PM
We have the 2017 1st rounder, 2019 and so on. So only missing the 2018 pick that we just traded today (which is conditional top 10 protected).

All these 1st round picks we've traded were picks we've accumulated from different teams. We've also traded a ton of 2nd round picks, but that doesn't matter much.

Honestly if I was a good team I would probably be dumping 1st round picks every chance I got if I could add valuable role players. Once you drop out of the top 15 it becomes such a crap shoot. The majority of those players are out of the league within a year or two. That being said I don't think Channing Frye would be my target.

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Honestly if I was a good team I would probably be dumping 1st round picks every chance I got if I could add valuable role players. Once you drop out of the top 15 it becomes such a crap shoot. The majority of those players are out of the league within a year or two. That being said I don't think Channing Frye would be my target.

100% agreed

ewing
02-18-2016, 03:37 PM
people are exaggerating lebrons role in the front office. andy gone,miller gone... both brons favorite people.

and he's known for his loyalty :)

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Draft picks are fun and they pay off better the more you use them. But a known quantity does have value over an unknown. The problem is that that unknown eventually becomes known ... and you get fans saying "You traded the chance to draft X (hall of fame player drafted after your pick) for Y (formerly very good player who could never stay healthy or didn't fit the system/locker room)! What a terrible trade!"

Ahh the fickle nature of fans and of the GMs job :)

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Draft picks are fun and they pay off better the more you use them. But a known quantity does have value over an unknown. The problem is that that unknown eventually becomes known ... and you get fans saying "You traded the chance to draft X (hall of fame player drafted after your pick) for Y (formerly very good player who could never stay healthy or didn't fit the system/locker room)! What a terrible trade!"

Ahh the fickle nature of fans and of the GMs job :)

While this is true if I could counter with "Well we needed veteran player Y to help us win that title..." then that would probably limit the grumblings of those fickle fans. :)

Or even if it was to make 2-3 trips to the finals. That's far better of a gamble than "oh no I might not make the brilliant pick at pick #28 and find the 1 good player that sticks in the league"

5ass
02-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Frye has improved his defense this season over last year.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 03:49 PM

bolded is laughable ... spurs would be huge favorites

Not really.

A healthy Cavs match up very well against them, they have no answer for Kyrie and Kevin Love can draw Timmy out of the paint.

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Frye has improved his defense this season over last year.

I saw that. 2014-15 was a bad year for him defensively, but every other year he has been at least average.

Has he been consistent 3-point shooter, or is he super streaky? I'm hoping consistent.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:57 PM
I saw that. 2014-15 was a bad year for him defensively, but every other year he has been at least average.

Has he been consistent 3-point shooter, or is he super streaky? I'm hoping consistent.

Frye can shoot. He killed from the mid-range in pick and pop with Starbury his rookie season. Just look at his 3pt numbers and FT numbers. His form is pure. He can stroke it. I wonder how much they will play him and Love together. The lanes should be wide open for Kyrie and Bron with those 2 at the big man spots.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 04:28 PM

He has the best stretch of his career upon joining Cleveland, goes under the knife in the offseason and loses the starting job he earned with his play beforehand, yet you think the answer is a new environment, why? What changed in Cleveland that hes no longer the same athlete from one year to the next?

5ass
02-18-2016, 05:00 PM

No, not really streaky but he has had 0-3 games. Not an elite shooter, but an elite shooter for a big man.

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Disagree completely. The best source of cheap labour a contending team is looking at would be the draft, since most of their money is already locked up in players to get to that point.

Yes, a lot of late 1st guys are out of the league within their rookie contract, the only reason many of the early 1st guys stay in the league is because they are lottery picks. Fact is, still in today's NBA, team decision makers are bad talent evaluators. Many guys slip to late 1st/early 2nd who, in hindsight, should have gone top 5. There are redraft threads every year for a reason.

bucketss
02-18-2016, 06:08 PM
Not really.

A healthy Cavs match up very well against them, they have no answer for Kyrie and Kevin Love can draw Timmy out of the paint.

wouldnt timmy guard tristan, unless they put lebron at pf and love at C, they can match up well with putting diaw on love

Jeffy25
02-18-2016, 09:14 PM
the NBA needs to get rid of the salary cap.

How often do we see moves like this just to fit salary caps and floors?

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 09:29 PM
the NBA needs to get rid of the salary cap.

How often do we see moves like this just to fit salary caps and floors?

So we can have 2 teams perpetual contenders and everybody else just a farm system for the big market teams?

Jeffy25
02-18-2016, 09:45 PM
So we can have 2 teams perpetual contenders and everybody else just a farm system for the big market teams?

So you can have teams stop making moves to fill the floor requirement.

Salary caps don't help parity, baseball very much so proves this (baseball has the greatest parity of the big four sports and is the only one without a salary cap)

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Mozgov sucks so bad, man. I wish we could've traded him.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Not really.

wouldnt timmy guard tristan, unless they put lebron at pf and love at C, they can match up well with putting diaw on love

You can put Frye and Love out there at the same time and spread the floor like crazy.

Only for stretches obviously, not a good defensive lineup, but that's a matchup nightmare when Lebron is driving and kicking....

Chronz
02-18-2016, 11:42 PM
You can put Frye and Love out there at the same time and spread the floor like crazy.

Only for stretches obviously, not a good defensive lineup, but that's a matchup nightmare when Lebron is driving and kicking....
Really want to see that lineup. Just cuz it should make Love the primary roll man instead of him being the outlet all the time

bucketss
02-18-2016, 11:56 PM

might work, frye use to be the stating center for the suns

LA_Raiders
02-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Bad move Lebron...

Vinylman
02-19-2016, 10:39 AM
The Sixers are always willing to take contracts for picks ... the Cavs can add a player another team is tired of independent of their cap hit just the same way next year.

Assuming the NBA never folds ... an infinite number :)[/QUOTE]

What "bad" contract are they going to dump next year? The only reason it worked this year was because they got rid of Andy...