PDA

View Full Version : 3-and-D-ness Interesting chart

Scoots
02-18-2016, 01:34 PM
http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/02/17/charting-3-and-d-ness/

JLynn943
02-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Pretty cool tool. I'm surprised to see Rondo slightly above on defense, but it is just +/- which has its flaws.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Pretty cool tool. I'm surprised to see Rondo slightly above on defense, but it is just +/- which has its flaws.

Yeah, and if you slide the sliders for 3PTA over to 3, 4, and 5 the chart changes dramatically and in today's NBA a 3 and D player would probably take more than 2 3s a game.

cmellofan15
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
yeah, everything generally looks good but I noticed K Love up there pretty high on the defensive side which is hard because defensive stats don't show bad he actually is on that side

Chronz
02-18-2016, 03:16 PM

Should Rondo rate lower in ur opinion? It's a variation of +/- but it's very different than raw +/-.

JLynn943
02-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Should Rondo rate lower in ur opinion? It's a variation of +/- but it's very different than raw +/-.

I guess it's a testament to how well he makes our offense run that his is positive. Without looking at numbers, his defense has not passed the eye test. Every now and then he'll make an impact, but usually he's just there. Then again, all of the team's perimeter defense is atrocious, so it's hard to fault one player too much.

Does this variation take into account who's on court with him to make it more of an individual stat?

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Derrick Williams saving Kobe from being the worst.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
I guess it's a testament to how well he makes our offense run that his is positive. Without looking at numbers, his defense has not passed the eye test. Every now and then he'll make an impact, but usually he's just there. Then again, all of the team's perimeter defense is atrocious, so it's hard to fault one player too much.

Does this variation take into account who's on court with him to make it more of an individual stat?

That's a shame. Healthy Boston Rondo was a blast to watch on defense.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
That's a shame. Healthy Boston Rondo was a blast to watch on defense.

Yeah ... I don't know what broke Rondo ... but it sure looks like something did. He's acting even more crazy now in some ways than ever before.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 04:36 PM

Its just his defensive ranking, I didn't look at the graph much but looking at his DRPM its actually not good, a negative # isn't good the way they grade it. And yeah it attempts to consider the rest of the players but it also incorporates a players height (my main beef against it) so its just a weird stat but its results can shed light on valuable role players.

And yeah, Im amazed when people still consider him a great defender, he hasn't been one in a long time.

JLynn943
02-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah ... I don't know what broke Rondo ... but it sure looks like something did. He's acting even more crazy now in some ways than ever before.

Yeah, I'm not really sure either. His basketball IQ is still off the charts, and you can tell he can tell what teams are going to do/run. That end-of-game situation against the Hawks which he diagnosed and had Cousins guard an empty corner, which completely took away what the Hawks were going to do, shows that. I don't know whether it's getting beaten up over the years, being older, effort, or what, but he's nowhere near what he used to show on defense.