PDA

View Full Version : How impressed are you with Stan Van Gundy?

ewing
02-18-2016, 12:27 AM
This guy has done a great job with the Piston IMO? WhaT do you think?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-18-2016, 12:35 AM
He's been a top coach for years.

mngopher35
02-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Ya I posted in the Pistons forum about how I like the value he keeps getting. Jackson dumped due to upcoming contract/fit grabbed cheap. Marcus Morris for nothing. Now Orlando kinda salary dump Harris and they use expirings.

Kleonidas
02-18-2016, 01:01 AM
master of panic.

GunFactor187
02-18-2016, 01:13 AM
He completely transformed the landscape of the Pistons, from top to bottom. Doesn't have much to show as far as wins and consistency goes thus far, but the way he took so little and turned it into something of value shows how he was meant for this dual President BB-Ops/Head Coaching role. He had a plan coming into the team and we're just starting to see his vision ensue. Taking a roster who has had tremendous turnover and that is as young as it is going into the All-Star break at .500 and only a 1/2 GB in the playoff picture is astounding. I love what he's accomplished thus far. Makes me incredibly excited of what's to come for the team in the offseason.

Laker Legend42
02-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Stan van Gundy is doing a pretty good job. He did the Pistons a favor when he dumped josh smith and he knew what he was doing when he allowed Monroe to get away. I like when a guy looks like he has a plan. Lakers,sixers and I would include the Bucks in a group of teams wandering around aimlessly.

ManningToTyree
02-18-2016, 02:43 AM
I think he's done a very good job of ridding the roster of losers and replenishing talent quickly. Interested to see where he goes from here especially this offseason.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 07:29 AM
Lets be careful. There are a handful of coaches like SVG, Skiles who get players to buy in at first but then eventually create friction.

Great coach no doubt but had problems with Shaq and Riley in Miami and had problems with Dwight Howard in Orlando.

Will we see eventually see a repeat with Drummond or Jackson? I don't know.

basch152
02-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Lets be careful. There are a handful of coaches like SVG, Skiles who get players to buy in at first but then eventually create friction.

Great coach no doubt but had problems with Shaq and Riley in Miami and had problems with Dwight Howard in Orlando.

Will we see eventually see a repeat with Drummond or Jackson? I don't know.

Dwight was clearly the problem. He's an immature child.

Stop trying to fabricate things

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 09:06 AM

:laugh: Yeah I'm making stuff up to slander SVG. Even though I already said how good a coach he is...

Anyway let's assume you are right. So it is then a good idea by the coach to go put that player on blast to the media? Also are you blaming Shaq and Pat Riley for the problems in Miami too?

Poor SVG everywhere he goes people are out to get him. He couldn't possibly have an abrasive personality. :rolleyes:

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2016, 09:44 AM
As a Pistons fan, I think SVG is doing a fine job as a GM.

I'm not crazy about the situation though. I don't like the way SVG called out Howard's in the press and said he went to the owners to get him fired, which though true, is something that is only going to create tension on the court when you are coaching the guy. I thought he could have been more professional than that.

In Detroit, I thought Cheeks wasn't given a fair shake. He had improved the teams record, and though I didn't like how he was giving the ball to Smith and Jennings most of the time, he was also just working with the tools he was given. I felt like Cheeks should have run more plays through Monroe, who had proved the season before that he was an adept passer, but at the end of the day, Cheeks had 21 wins in in 50 games, which was as higher winning percentage than SVG had the following season. So the Pistons really took a step back.

I felt bad for Joe D, because I felt like he had his hands tied under Davison when it came to keeping Okur and then Ben Wallace, and I felt that would have extended Detroit's window back then had Davison been willing to pay. And then when they had cap space, Davison expected Joe D to spend it all that off season to keep the team in the playoffs, which led to the Ben Gordon/Charlie-V signing. I felt like, had Davison been more patient, Joe D would have been allowed to push that cap space to the next season.

Then when Davison passed and the new ownership came in, it was like: win now or you're fired. There are essentially four guys in this league right now who have build champions: Jerry West (both LAL/GSW), Riley, Donnie Nelson, Buford/Pop. You might say "What about Kupchuk?" No. West gave him the keys to a dynasty, and then gave him a boost after her left by giving Gasol in a fire sale. Kupchuk has proven repeatedly that he is an awful GM.

Other than that, the only guy to build a champion that is alive is Joe D. He had significant limitations that the others didn't have. Had he been a GM in LAL, CHI, or NY, Okur and Wallace would have been retained, and ring chasers would have reloaded the end of the teams bench every year. Instead, he had a situation where he had to swing for the fences for the new management. They showed FAR more patience with the guy they brought in (SVG) than they were willing to show Joe D. The Smith signing, in hindsight, was bad. But on paper it looked good. Who knew that he would suddenly start shooting his worst percentages ever? They needed a defensive guy who could spread the floor with two post players (Drummond/Monroe) and the 3point shooting Smith seemed a good fit. Then he just turned into a chucker. The Jennings trade was $#!T, but it was a panic move. Then when Joe D's coach (who they brought Phil Jackson in to pick) doesn't have the team in the playoffs, they fire him halfway through his first season.

Then the guy they bring into replace him does WORSE the next season and they let him stay on for another year? Why wasn't the same courtesy offered Cheeks?

Is SVG doing a good job? Sure. I'd say this year he's doing a fine job. The team is not deep and he's got them at .500 playing to their strengths, and he's made some solid moves as a GM. Bringing in Morris and Ilyasova was great. Dumping Smith for nothing was the best thing they could have done. Jackson... I'm not sold on 100% just yet. He's playing well, but I'm not crazy about his efficiency. I'm hopeful about Harris, but I'm hesitant.

I'm not saying SVG is bad at all. He's doing a decent job. And I'm not saying that Joe D was perfect. I don't blame him for the Darko move, because everybody was touting Darko that year and most every GM would have picked him at 2. I do fault him for not bringing Klay in. Klay was expected to go higher than he did, and Knight was not. And Klay was the best shooting guard in the draft. I don't know why he didn't pick Klay. Had he had Klay and Monroe, then added Drummond, I felt like the team would have had a great core moving forward (though there would have been some concern about spacing with Monroe and Drummond).

But the guy that Detroit is building on is Drummond, and it is Joe D who brought him in. And the team let other pieces Joe D bring in go, like Monroe, without getting anything back.

I give props to SVG, but the entire situation doesn't sit well with me.

Kleonidas
02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

SVG kept leaking out team secrets via David Pingalore. He went against the family. Lives by the three and dies by the 3. Mostly dies.

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm fine with the work SVG has done. He's always been an excellent if abrasive coach, and has proven to be a shrewd decision maker. He's a good basketball mind, and goes to the Sloan analytics conference every year.

Scoots
02-18-2016, 10:29 AM

SVG is a great coach ... for the players that fit. He has a quick hook and expects perfection ... which is great for players who expect perfection from themselves ... but for players who need a different approach SVG can become a nightmare. If a very good player plays their best game and want to celebrate it SVG will point out all the mistakes they made and some people can't take that.

D-Leethal
02-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Considering the mess they were in 2 years ago he has done as good a job as anyone in the NBA retooling that roster. That Jennings - Stuckey - Josh Smith - Monroe - Drummond squad was as ugly as it gets.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 10:42 AM
His moves have been great so far and I've always felt he has been a excellent coach.

The only thing is I think he may have to eventually move strictly into the front office or risk losing the team. He's a great coach but his nagging style wears on players really fast.

You can tolerate that when you're regular conference contenders but when you're a mediocre team it's not really going to fly for long.

mark1125
02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Considering how badly Dumars crippled the team, what he has done so far gets him high marks. They were an absolute laughing stock and now a team to be respected. They aren't a serious threat yet and I think any sane fan wouldn't expect that so quickly. I think coming from where they were to a 6-8 seed this year has to be considered a success and he has some good young players to work with.

Can he take it to the next level? Time will tell but I can't fathom anyone (outside of an anti Piston homer) that can say SVG hasn't done a good job thusfar.

Wade n Fade
02-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Always liked SVG. Intelligent basketball mind, avid baseball fan, and good speaker. I heard him w/ Dan LeBatard's radio show so often. Along with Bomani Jones, SVG was my favorite regularly booked guest co-host. SVG did a decent job in Miami until Riley took over mid season.

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 11:51 AM
http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_20130302_164528.jpg

Shady66
02-18-2016, 12:43 PM
I used to think he was overrated in orlando. Now that he's completely turned a franchise around not so much

ManRam
02-18-2016, 12:58 PM
I've always been pro-SVG. I was often very anti-Dwight...and got plenty of **** for it. That stuff doesn't matter much now. By all accounts Dwight's the only guy he's had issues with...and in hindsight, well, it's Dwight. If you were anti-SVG then it's a lot harder to side with Dwight now.

I think and have always thought SVG was a tremendous coach. I don't see how you could look back at his Magic tenure and think otherwise. His short stint in Detroit is making it obvious now. That team plays hard, smart basketball.

I think the fit thing is fair to an extent, but fit matters for most every time these days. GSW has a type. There's a type LeBron needs. Kobe always needed certain types. SAS has types. Etc. etc. etc.

But what he was doing in Orlando and the guys he wanted to make that fit were again validated in due time. He tried exploiting the three point shot before many coaches were. Call it "live by the three die by the three" but that phrase isn't used derogatorily that much any more...because we get how important the 3 point shot is now. There was some Moreyball in his style...that take-the-three-or-high-percentage-shots-near-the-basket stuff. Common sense now. He loved PGs who could shoot and score. He wanted a team that moved the ball collectively rather than rely on one guy. He understood spacing on offense. He was a tremendous defensive coach.

Overall, he was a progressive mind.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_20130302_164528.jpg

Hes a fan of PER.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 01:31 PM
By all accounts Dwight's the only guy he's had issues with...
Yeah, all accounts, unless you've read books his players have come out with. Shaq and Zo both had no confidence in him(ZO was more respectful when he trashed him tho), he lost his guys pretty quickly in Miami, did great in Orlando tho.

JWO35
02-18-2016, 01:50 PM
His moves have been great so far and I've always felt he has been a excellent coach.

The only thing is I think he may have to eventually move strictly into the front office or risk losing the team. He's a great coach but his nagging style wears on players really fast.

You can tolerate that when you're regular conference contenders but when you're a mediocre team it's not really going to fly for long.
That's my biggest concern about SVG, you can already see some of it between him & Drummond albeit its more of SVG being frustrated with Drummond's FTs. Honestly if **** did hit the fan with SVG & the Pistons I would still want him to be the GM/President exclusively.

As a Piston fan SVG has turned Joe Dumar's dumpster fire into a brand new house with a solid foundation in a matter of a season. Initially I liked the idea of allowing SVG to be HC & GM and it is clearly paying off big time. I'm still surprised how he pulls these trades off and giving up next to nothing in return. IMO the Pistons just need to be more consistent, but that will come as the team as a whole matures. We were just discussing how Detroit is now one of the youngest starting lineups in the NBA (23.6), if this team makes the playoffs it would do wonders going forward for them IMO.

5ass
02-18-2016, 02:11 PM
That's my biggest concern about SVG, you can already see some of it between him & Drummond albeit its more of SVG being frustrated with Drummond's FTs. Honestly if **** did hit the fan with SVG & the Pistons I would still want him to be the GM/President exclusively.

As a Piston fan SVG has turned Joe Dumar's dumpster fire into a brand new house with a solid foundation in a matter of a season. Initially I liked the idea of allowing SVG to be HC & GM and it is clearly paying off big time. I'm still surprised how he pulls these trades off and giving up next to nothing in return. IMO the Pistons just need to be more consistent, but that will come as the team as a whole matures. We were just discussing how Detroit is now one of the youngest starting lineups in the NBA (23.6), if this team makes the playoffs it would do wonders going forward for them IMO.
TBH i dont like the svg/drummond pairing mostly brcause of drummond. Aside from the high pick n roll, drummond doesnt have the offensive efficiency of dwight. I remember watching a game in preseason where drummond was pouting about his touches and thought oh oh this looks familiar. Its even worse because drummond isnt as efficiemt in the post and a worse Ft shooter. They will be better off now with the hack a shaq rule changes though. Who knows what happens, but IMO the pistons will go as far as drummond can take them. Also he's done great as a GM and after he dealt with dwight im sure he's better equipped to handle drummond. People act like coaches cant change and imrprove but they can. So who knows. Even if it ends with SVG being fired, you passed through the mark jackson phase where he helped transition the team into a winner.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2016, 02:15 PM
considering what he got when he showed up, he has done well. Will he wear out his welcome like he has prior?

I guess we will see

ManRam
02-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Yeah, all accounts, unless you've read books his players have come out with. Shaq and Zo both had no confidence in him(ZO was more respectful when he trashed him tho), he lost his guys pretty quickly in Miami, did great in Orlando tho.

Sure. I wasn't thinking about his Miami days. That's fair. I'd also imagine that he's learned from it...because again, there weren't really ever signs in Orlando that anyone abandoned him besides Dwight. And Shaq also is a difficult beast to tame. He was very open at times in Orlando about what he needed to change with his coaching style...the nagging thing especially. I don't think he has the ego that would prevent him to evolve.

I'm not so sure how much he even "wore out his welcome" in Orlando. Dwight wanted him out, the Magic seemingly obliged in another desperate effort to keep him. SVG wasn't really polarizing by the end of "Dwightmare". Maybe I should revisit it because of my own biases, but I think every Magic fan in the world wishes they prioritized Stan over Dwight. If he wore out his welcome it's because Dwight wore out his own welcome

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Hes a fan of PER.

Shh....don't ruin it.

ewing
02-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Shh....don't ruin it.

I don't get it

Scoots
02-18-2016, 03:10 PM
I imagine all that youth is driving SVG crazy ... he used to hate young players, but it appears getting fired multiple times may have helped him make some adjustments as he seems much more willing to roll with the mistakes a little more ... just a little.

Just form a f'n wall SVG!

phantasyyy
02-18-2016, 03:13 PM
I mean its hard not to like what he's done since joining them for the 2014-15 season..
Going from a roster of:

PG: Jennings, Augustin
SG: KCP, Stuckey,
SF: Smith, Singler, Jerebko
PF: Monroe, Datome
C: Drummond, Harellson

To:

PG:Jackson, Blake
SG:KCP, Meeks, Thornton
SF:Morris, Johnson
PF:Harris, Tolliver
C:Drummond, Montejunas

Its pretty crazy how hes gotten so much more talent without mortgaging their future in terms of draft picks. I mean the only thing you cold probably gripe about was him letting Monroe walk for nothing but its not really something you can blame him for since his pairing with Drummond just wasnt going to work. Along with the fact that it pretty much lead directly to the acquistion of Tobias Harris. I mean their core of Jackson, KCP, Morris, Harris, Johnson, and Drummond are all young enoguh and on rookie/friendly contracts to build upon for the forseeable future.

mrblisterdundee
02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
I think Stan Van Gundy has done a pretty bang-up job. Detroit has a crafty point guard and a dominant center to build around, and just got a nice third-wheel in Tobias Harris. Donatas Montejunas is also a very intriguing piece, and a probable upgrade from Ersan Ilyasova. Besides Reggie Jackson, I'd say Marcus Morris is the best pickup so far.
The whole roster is more balanced, instead of Josh Smith trying to play small forward, and Andre Drummond having to share time with Greg Monroe.
Who is more qualified to win Executive of the Year in Detroit: Jeff Bower or Van Gundy?

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Yeah I'm all for giving SVG credit for his coaching abilities but let's not act like he doesn't have warts. I honestly think of him and Scott Skiles in the same way. I'm also starting to wonder if Thibs is a better version of them.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 03:38 PM
I don't get it

Indy dislikes PER.

Indy likes SVG.

Its like hitting up your friend to play ball, then finding out the reason hes ignored you is because hes been practicing ballet. Would you think less of your friend?

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 03:39 PM
I mean its hard not to like what he's done since joining them for the 2014-15 season..
Going from a roster of:

PG: Jennings, Augustin
SG: KCP, Stuckey,
SF: Smith, Singler, Jerebko
PF: Monroe, Datome
C: Drummond, Harellson

To:

PG:Jackson, Blake
SG:KCP, Meeks, Thornton
SF:Morris, Johnson
PF:Harris, Tolliver
C:Drummond, Montejunas

Its pretty crazy how hes gotten so much more talent without mortgaging their future in terms of draft picks. I mean the only thing you cold probably gripe about was him letting Monroe walk for nothing but its not really something you can blame him for since his pairing with Drummond just wasnt going to work. Along with the fact that it pretty much lead directly to the acquistion of Tobias Harris. I mean their core of Jackson, KCP, Morris, Harris, Johnson, and Drummond are all young enoguh and on rookie/friendly contracts to build upon for the forseeable future.

If Harris finds his 3pt shot again and he/morris learn who they can actually guard on the other end that team could be tough in the playoffs. It wouldn't shock me to see them in the ECF and I'm a Reggie Jackson hater.

ewing
02-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Indy dislikes PER.

Indy likes SVG.

Its like hitting up your friend to play ball, then finding out the reason hes ignored you is because hes been practicing ballet. Would you think less of your friend?

Yes

ManRam
02-18-2016, 03:58 PM
The guy has his warts and has clashed plenty, but if Shaq and Dwight are the chief examples here, well...those are some wildly unique players to base everything off of. We'll see how it goes in Detroit. So far so good. I think he deserves a little bit of slack.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2016, 04:11 PM
The guy has his warts and has clashed plenty, but if Shaq and Dwight are the chief examples here, well...those are some wildly unique players to base everything off of. We'll see how it goes in Detroit. So far so good. I think he deserves a little bit of slack.

I think he is getting plenty of slack. It seems pretty unanimous that he is a good coach. If anything it would be too generous to ignore his past exits from previous teams. Both were messy. It would be foolish not to be skeptical of how things could go bad in Detroit after the honeymoon period ends. Lucky for Detroit fans that honeymoon could last a few seasons. :)

shep33
02-18-2016, 04:13 PM
He's hot

Chronz
02-18-2016, 04:13 PM
... And Zo. Unique yes, but it does seem like he has trouble with HOF bigmen, rumors about Drummond abound as well.

kdspurman
02-18-2016, 04:28 PM
He's hot

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR8kT-TVAAETyry.png

shep33
02-18-2016, 05:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR8kT-TVAAETyry.png

Dude! Lmao I saw this earlier and almost died. Looks like a G

JWO35
02-18-2016, 05:49 PM
I think he is getting plenty of slack. It seems pretty unanimous that he is a good coach. If anything it would be too generous to ignore his past exits from previous teams. Both were messy. It would be foolish not to be skeptical of how things could go bad in Detroit after the honeymoon period ends. Lucky for Detroit fans that honeymoon could last a few seasons. :)

The best thing about this team is they're young...it's easy for young guys to buy in if they are winning. We don't have a superstar that can strong-arm the front office to get his way. Even the headaches of other teams (Reggie Jackson & Marcus Morris) are by all reports loving being coached up by SVG because he believed in them unlike their previous coach/team.

MonroeFAN
02-18-2016, 06:00 PM
No mention of the Houston trade yet?

As a Piston fan SVG is probably the coolest person in my universe right now.

Edit: Nevermind, sorry it has been mentioned.

Blink
02-18-2016, 06:02 PM
As a Detroit fan I almost welcome a Drummond trade. Soon as we are on the map Teams will send him to the free throw line. Plus with the way He's been mocking the league with trades he'd some how come out of a trade of Drummond with Demarcus Cousins, Chris Paul and Leonard.

Ball_Out
02-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Very. I didn't realize how girthy he was....

CardinalRed24
02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
I have always thought very highly of Stan Van Gundy ever since he had his first head coaching stint with the Miami Heat in 2003. I never agreed with Riley's decision to take over HC duties himself. SVG knows his basketball and is a great coach imo. And he's done a good job helping turn the Detroit franchise around and in due time these moves will start paying off.
I love the Tobias Harris move and I think he will make great fit. The Pistons now have a very young and solid core to build around moving forward in Reggie Jackson, KCPope, Stanley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Tobias Harris & Andre Drummond.
I think it is safe to say that in the last 2 years since SVG took over, significant progress has been made. Keep it going Stan!

CHANGO
02-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I think he has made a fantastic job, Tobias Harris is an underrated addition, watch out for the Pistons.

kdspurman
02-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Dude! Lmao I saw this earlier and almost died. Looks like a G

Hilarious man haha.. they have one out there where it looks like he's bopping his head too :laugh2:

rocket
02-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Considering the mess they were in 2 years ago he has done as good a job as anyone in the NBA retooling that roster. That Jennings - Stuckey - Josh Smith - Monroe - Drummond squad was as ugly as it gets. it was awful.

rocket
02-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Also as Blink said i wouldn't be opposed to trading Drummond.

FriedTofuz
02-21-2016, 05:21 AM
Pistons have come a long way from the mess that dumars created, I think it was almost as bad as billy king and james dolan

Sly Guy
02-24-2016, 11:52 AM
I liked him in orlando, I fully expected him to have a similar result with Drummond.

MonroeFAN
02-24-2016, 12:02 PM
I gotta say, I wasn't super crazy about Tobias at first. But he is a legit 2 way player who fits in just fine at the 4. He's already starting, and he already looks comfortable.

ewing
02-24-2016, 12:44 PM
I gotta say, I wasn't super crazy about Tobias at first. But he is a legit 2 way player who fits in just fine at the 4. He's already starting, and he already looks comfortable.

good to hear. I like the kid, not totally sold either but i want him and Det to do good