PDA

View Full Version : When in general do young teams in general turn the corner

Vampirate
02-16-2016, 02:44 PM
When do young teams actually turn that corner and become teams that win .400 and under to teams that continuously get into the playoffs? Yes this was inspired by the Timberwolves thread but it got me curious.

For the Raptors, it was the Rudy trade that was the turning point, but i'm not sure they are a good comparison.

TrueFan420
02-16-2016, 02:50 PM
In general it's in generally different per case

5ass
02-16-2016, 03:18 PM
In general it's in generally different per case

This.

Tony_Starks
02-16-2016, 03:21 PM
-When they allow a young core to grow for a few years with one superstar emerging

-When they have a really good coach to oversee that growth and a competent gm to add the right vets to that mix of youth....

sixer04fan
02-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Barring pulling off a major trade, depending on what assets you already have - If you can get a star player in the draft, and have a competent front office to put together a well-enough rounded team around that player, and then have enough roster continuity for the team to gel. It might usually take about 3 seasons for that team to turn the corner and get to the playoffs, and then another year or two for that team to take the next step as a more serious contender.

So about 4-5 years after your team is able to draft a true star. It took Lebron and KD three years to first make the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. It took Curry 4 years I think. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. But generally that would be my expectation for when young teams can turn the corner of everything goes right.

Again, that's barring pulling off a major trade that can jumpstart the process.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 03:29 PM
In general it depends on the young group generally. Back in the day Dallas had Jason Kidd,Jamal mashburn and Jim Jackson. They never generally got to that corner. In general the thunder with Westbrook,Durrant and harden jumped to 50+ wins in year two in general. Generally speaking, in general most young groups generally don't stay together long enough to work...in general.

Aust
02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
They definitely need a few years to play together and develop that chemistry as well as refining their game. Good vets and a good coach can be a big boost to a young guy's development.

In general it depends on the young group generally. Back in the day Dallas had Jason Kidd,Jamal mashburn and Jim Jackson. They never generally got to that corner. In general the thunder with Westbrook,Durrant and harden jumped to 50+ wins in year two in general. Generally speaking, in general most young groups generally don't stay together long enough to work...in general.

:laugh2:

Chronz
02-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Generally, it takes years, just in general tho. How many years? Well.............. thats too specific for general speak

nastynice
02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
general

5ass
02-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Sergeant.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Generally, it takes years, just in general tho. How many years? Well.............. thats too specific for general speak

Generally I would agree. But you didn't take into account all the things that would generally pop up during the season. However, I do agree with your general premise. Hey let's face it. Generally a squad a of young guys is a crap shoot.

D-Leethal
02-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Who wants to taste my general tso? You want to taste my general tso? I'm-a give it to you now.

Alayla
02-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Trolls

5ass
02-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Trolls

PSD is back!

Chronz
02-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Its ok, to generally troll now and again.....

No seriously, this thread needs too much research for anyone to bother. It really depends on talent but generally speaking, youngsters dont win until they're about 28 as the lead dog. From there its a sliding scale depending on talent. Magic Johnson AND Kareem in his youth prolly dont win together despite putting up similar production levels, there is something to closing a series out IMO but I could be wrong. The Blazers won a title with a bunch of kids so it CAN happen, guess it depends on competition.

GunFactor187
02-17-2016, 12:44 AM
Who wants to taste my general tso? You want to taste my general tso? I'm-a give it to you now.

I cook General Tso for a living, lol.

kingkenny01
02-17-2016, 12:48 AM
Generally never but a team like t-wolves which looks to have 2 stars and maybe 3 with Lavine, maybe 3-5 years they (might) contend if all the pieces develop and fit

5ass
02-17-2016, 12:53 AM
Its ok, to generally troll now and again.....

No seriously, this thread needs too much research for anyone to bother. It really depends on talent but generally speaking, youngsters dont win until they're about 28 as the lead dog. From there its a sliding scale depending on talent. Magic Johnson AND Kareem in his youth prolly dont win together despite putting up similar production levels, there is something to closing a series out IMO but I could be wrong. The Blazers won a title with a bunch of kids so it CAN happen, guess it depends on competition.

We're not talking winning championship though. Young Durant, westy, ibaka, harden made the finals. Basically I take OKC as a best case scenario. It wasn't until KD's third season that they reached 50 wins. Before that they were 3 years of less than 30 wins. Years in which they drafted ibaka (09), harden(09) and Westbrook(08). 3 years of rebuilding and sudden 50 win ream is best case scenario. You could also look at the warriors 09 curry, 2011 Thompson+green started competing in 2013-2014.

Teeboy1487
02-17-2016, 01:09 AM
Generally speaking, you need a good floor general to generate more wins in general.

JasonJohnHorn
02-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Generally right after they fire Doug Collins or Mark Jackson, and then hire Steve Kerr or Phil Jackson.

HOLD_THIS_L
02-17-2016, 02:05 AM
It generally takes a few years for these youngins mature. You cant just deploy these young man after their first boot camp and expect them to be able to take on seasoned vets. Give them time to grow and let them learn the pecking order of where they rank, ie first option or get it in the flow of the game (Harrison Barnes). May take a few years to find the correct chemistry though and you're young guys may be vets by then.

JPS
02-17-2016, 04:03 AM
Generally right after they fire Doug Collins or Mark Jackson, and then hire Steve Kerr or Phil Jackson.

Nice

nastynice
02-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Generally speaking, you need a good floor general to generate more wins in general.

lol, win!

this one just rendered all previous general jokes void!