PDA

View Full Version : Chris Bosh Health Scare

Wade n Fade
02-16-2016, 12:44 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article60580336.html

Another serious potential issue :(. I hope it's a false alarm. The man has a family too, so it must be tough for them to go through this trauma. I hope that Bosh feels better and can get back to his family first.

lakerfan85
02-16-2016, 01:00 AM
Hopefully it's not another clot..

JJ_JKidd
02-16-2016, 01:08 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article60580336.html

Another serious potential issue :(. I hope it's a false alarm. The man has a family too, so it must be tough for them to go through this trauma. I hope that Bosh feels better and can get back to his family first.

Hope he can overcomes whatever it is thats he is going through. Just wondered bec media headlines making it sound like its severe as like AIDS.

5ass
02-16-2016, 01:26 AM
He'll be alright either way. Not a bad option to retire and enjoy your family. He's had a good career, even if its vut short. But good luck to him.

kobe4thewinbang
02-16-2016, 01:27 AM
Were these health issues sudden? Because the Heat clearly overpaid to keep him on a new contract and he's not even 2 years into it yet.

IDunknown
02-16-2016, 01:29 AM
Hope he can overcomes whatever it is thats he is going through. Just wondered bec media headlines making it sound like its severe as like AIDS.

A blood clot can kill you way faster than AIDS.

Scoots
02-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Basically, if it's another clot he's probably done. Not because it can't be managed but because he's going to have to be VERY careful in the future. I could see him not retiring and just working to be healthy until his contract ends ... see Nash, Steve.

ManningToTyree
02-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Yeah if it's something serious again I hope he retires it's not worth the risk. I hope he's alright.

FriedTofuz
02-16-2016, 03:35 AM
Wow that is quite scary, Hope bosh pulls through and can return to basketball

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 05:09 AM
I was shocked he was able to come back when he did. Blood clots in the lungs are no joke. Now he has them a second time. My wife dealt with this almost two years ago and it's still touchy. Especially when the cause can't be pinpointed.

More-Than-Most
02-16-2016, 07:46 AM
if its a clot in his legs he wont have to retire... clots in the lung that left serious damage would have been one thing... reoccurring clots are huge issues for alot of people across the world... If its in his calf that isn't as big of a deal because its below the knee and not above the knee... When they determine how serious something is with clots that would be the less severe version... Once it clots above the knee then its a bit more of an issue... Then its lungs/Brain and that is life threatening... I have thick blood and have had to be put on zeralta for a very long time and it causes constant nose bleeds and stuff but its being monitored and I never had to just stop doing extremely physical work... I have to wear leg sleeves when I am sitting for a long period of time but never have I had to stop playing sports or doing extreme physical activity. If its in the calf they need to figure out why they keep coming back and put him on blood thinners long term... If the blood thinners dont work then there are surgeries and on down the list.

Scoots
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
if its a clot in his legs he wont have to retire... clots in the lung that left serious damage would have been one thing... reoccurring clots are huge issues for alot of people across the world... If its in his calf that isn't as big of a deal because its below the knee and not above the knee... When they determine how serious something is with clots that would be the less severe version... Once it clots above the knee then its a bit more of an issue... Then its lungs/Brain and that is life threatening... I have thick blood and have had to be put on zeralta for a very long time and it causes constant nose bleeds and stuff but its being monitored and I never had to just stop doing extremely physical work... I have to wear leg sleeves when I am sitting for a long period of time but never have I had to stop playing sports or doing extreme physical activity. If its in the calf they need to figure out why they keep coming back and put him on blood thinners long term... If the blood thinners dont work then there are surgeries and on down the list.

2 things, last year's lung clots were attributed to a calf issue before the lung clots showed up, and they said that if he has to go on blood thinners then he can't play.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Basically, if it's another clot he's probably done. Not because it can't be managed but because he's going to have to be VERY careful in the future. I could see him not retiring and just working to be healthy until his contract ends ... see Nash, Steve.

I'm sure the NBA has guidelines for a situation like this. I'm thinking that if a player is physically unable to play due to serious disease or something of that nature, then it's likely that the team is able to void their contract with no cap penalties. Blood clots don't even compare to Nash's situation.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-16-2016, 10:38 AM
I just find it bizarre that almost a year ago to this day, Bosh was found with blood clots in his lungs..

basketballkitty
02-16-2016, 10:50 AM

Sadly I agree. No way in Hell does he walk away on his own and retire and surrender that contract. His wife would kill him ( LOL )...And make no mistake about it. If Bosh did retire, no way would Miami pay him that deal just to be Nice. If you think that then you don't know the Heat and their ownership. I wish him the best.

Vinylman
02-16-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm sure the NBA has guidelines for a situation like this. I'm thinking that if a player is physically unable to play due to serious disease or something of that nature, then it's likely that the team is able to void their contract with no cap penalties. Blood clots don't even compare to Nash's situation.

Don't know what you mean by void but he definitely will get paid his full contract just like Nash...

As far as Cap relief it won't happen quickly and certainly won't be effective this summer

IDunknown
02-16-2016, 11:39 AM

It's a guaranteed contract. Players only lose the money if they retire. A few years ago Knicks were paying Eddy Curry and he wasn't playing because he liked eating too much.

Scoots
02-16-2016, 11:54 AM

So Bosh says he's working on solving the issue with diet and exercise, he's got the money to find a doctor to support any position that he's working to come back. I really think Bosh is going to drag it out.

Big Zo
02-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Sucks horribly, but a great hall of fame career, if this is indeed it for him. Praying he fully recovers, and can be part of the next Heat championship.

Wade n Fade
02-16-2016, 12:16 PM
It was good to see both Teletovic and Bosh play this year, but if Bosh is going through this again, that means there is more issues than originally thought. Maybe this puts Teletovic on alert too? Last thing anyone is thinking about is voiding a contract. At least in the heat organization and Bosh's family.

Vee-Rex
02-16-2016, 12:24 PM
I want Bosh to go ahead and hang 'em up. I know people who have suffered from blood clots and it's sooooooo dangerous.

Cash in and enjoy the rest of your life, CB.

ManRam
02-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Does anyone continue to dislike this guy? He's both one of the funniest and nicest people in the NBA by all accounts. Hopefully he's OK. Sad to hear.

Big Zo
02-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Looks like he's hoping to return again this season, according to Tim Reynolds' twitter.

Bring The Heat
02-16-2016, 04:12 PM
To the guy that said blood clot in the calf is not is not serious is not accurate. It's called a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and this is how clots in your lung develop, you just don't spontaneously get a clot in your lung it comes from your lower body. It starts off in your legs (DVT) and that clot has the potential to break off and lodge into your lung (pulmonary embolism) which is deadly.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 05:20 PM
To the guy that said blood clot in the calf is not is not serious is not accurate. It's called a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and this is how clots in your lung develop, you just don't spontaneously get a clot in your lung it comes from your lower body. It starts off in your legs (DVT) and that clot has the potential to break off and lodge into your lung (pulmonary embolism) which is deadly.
Exactly right. It also sounds like Chris stopped taking his blood thinners. They said he started taking and plans to play again this season. This at some point will more than likely end his basketball career. Being on blood thinners and playing a physical sport don't mix. Any small cut or anything can become a real issue. Not to mention all the travel.

Chronz
02-16-2016, 07:57 PM

Last I checked (during the Grant Hill days), it takes 2 years for a contract to come off the cap. They can get a medical exemption that allows them to spend a % of that contract on another player tho. Luckily for the Heat, they grossly overpaid for Bosh.

kdspurman
02-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Sources: With mounting pressure to sit out season, Bosh meeting with Heat officials-

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--with-mounting-pressure-to-sit-out-season--bosh-meeting-with-heat-officials-194335171.html

kobe4thewinbang
02-24-2016, 04:17 PM
I feel bad for the Heat. I know Bosh can't help it, but he's gonna burn their books for a while.

SteBO
02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
He should consider retirement.

J_M_B
02-24-2016, 05:44 PM
I feel bad for the Heat. I know Bosh can't help it, but he's gonna burn their books for a while.

He'll probably end up missing the rest of the season, but would be ready by training camp next year. If another clot surfaces though, I don't see how he can continue playing. In that scenario, his contract would be voided a year after he announces his retirement.

Scoots
02-24-2016, 05:51 PM

There are things people can do to minimize the chances of clots ... it's possible Bosh is not doing all he could. Air-travel is a major issue, he may have to lay down for the flights while doing leg exercises with he legs elevated. He's probably not doing all he can because that last 5% is not easy ... but now he knows it's not just going to go away.

My guess is he misses the rest of the season ... and maybe the rest of his career.

SfgiantsJD3
02-24-2016, 10:27 PM
Exactly right. It also sounds like Chris stopped taking his blood thinners. They said he started taking and plans to play again this season. This at some point will more than likely end his basketball career. Being on blood thinners and playing a physical sport don't mix. Any small cut or anything can become a real issue. Not to mention all the travel.

Small cuts are not an issue; the issues are getting slammed and developing internal bleeding. I have had multiple DVT's and have been on thinners for a long time. The last time I had a clot they took me off the thinners to test if I was genetically disposed to clot which I am and I developed a clot after being off thinners.
I remember after my first clot the doctor told me to avoid trauma.

Pre 9/11 I had a prescription to walk on a plane and I would get up and walk the plane for about 5- 10 minutes every 30-45 minutes. Diet is the toughest to manage to keep the blood levels correct.

We are missing something in this story but I imagine he would need to waive for certain risks if he still wants to play. If he can't play he can still lead a full active life, he just needs to manage the situation. There are a lot worse things to have or to deal with than taking blood thinners.

Vinylman
02-25-2016, 10:02 AM
He'll probably end up missing the rest of the season, but would be ready by training camp next year. If another clot surfaces though, I don't see how he can continue playing. In that scenario, his contract would be voided a year after he announces his retirement.

His contract will never be voided... he will be paid the full contract whether he can play or not...

I am sure the HEAT have his contract insured so they will get their money back but there will be no cap relief for the Heat until it is determined that he can never play again and that will only happen a year or two after his last game played...

Usually, a team can apply for a medical exception which will allow them to sign someone for around 50% of his salary and not effect the cap but I don't know if there are restrictions on that if you are already over the cap...

Anyway, not a good situation for the HEAT

J_M_B
02-25-2016, 02:07 PM
His contract will never be voided... he will be paid the full contract whether he can play or not...

I am sure the HEAT have his contract insured so they will get their money back but there will be no cap relief for the Heat until it is determined that he can never play again and that will only happen a year or two after his last game played...

Usually, a team can apply for a medical exception which will allow them to sign someone for around 50% of his salary and not effect the cap but I don't know if there are restrictions on that if you are already over the cap...

Anyway, not a good situation for the HEAT

Na the new CBA states that a team can request a salary exclusion on the anniversary of the player's last game played, if that said player suffers a career ending injury/illness

Scoots
02-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Na the new CBA states that a team can request a salary exclusion on the anniversary of the player's last game played, if that said player suffers a career ending injury/illness

Not if Bosh keeps saying he's trying to get back on the court. He can "keep trying" until his contract runs out.

kobe4thewinbang
02-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Not if Bosh keeps saying he's trying to get back on the court. He can "keep trying" until his contract runs out.So, wait. Bosh gets paid no matter what, right? And the Heat get the money back from insurance? So if he keeps trying, they would lose that ability to sign a different player?

Vinylman
02-26-2016, 02:53 PM

what? the medical exception to add a player can be granted in less time than that but if you are talking about cap relief that might be technically correct but Bosh isn't going to retire... he will continue to "rehab" and try to get back to the league so he can play... Nash pulled the same **** with the Lakers...

J_M_B
02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
what? the medical exception to add a player can be granted in less time than that but if you are talking about cap relief that might be technically correct but Bosh isn't going to retire... he will continue to "rehab" and try to get back to the league so he can play... Nash pulled the same **** with the Lakers...

Yea I'm taking about cap relief and I understand he can continue to try rehabbing, but it'll be impossible to play on blood thinners if his condition is determined to be reoccurring.

It's still too early to be discussing any of this, since neither Bosh or the Heat have given a public statement yet. For all we know, he finds a way to continue playing this season.

Slug3
02-26-2016, 04:57 PM
So, wait. Bosh gets paid no matter what, right? And the Heat get the money back from insurance? So if he keeps trying, they would lose that ability to sign a different player?

Really its up the the league. I think come after next season and he is not cleared to play it will be pretty clear that probably no doctor will clear him. So the NBA could grant them his exception so the money comes off the books. It would be nice for Miami, but I like Bosh so I would rather he comes back.

Slug3
02-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Yea I'm taking about cap relief and I understand he can continue to try rehabbing, but it'll be impossible to play on blood thinners if his condition is determined to be reoccurring.

It's still too early to be discussing any of this, since neither Bosh or the Heat have given a public statement yet. For all we know, he finds a way to continue playing this season.

From what I have read on other sports athletes that got a second case of blood clots, it seems like it usually makes them retire. I could see Bosh clearing this one and getting cleared and if they stay away all is good, if it comes back he will probably retire then for good.