PDA

View Full Version : What does Minnesota need to compete for a playoff spot?

Jeffy25
02-16-2016, 12:22 AM
Love the new, young core. They lose a lot now obviously. What does this current roster need to be a playoff caliber team?

5ass
02-16-2016, 12:37 AM
A better coach, time, and I would look to upgrade at one of the forward positions with Dieng+Muhammad. They definitely could use better shooters right now. I think Markieff could be a good target. I read about some Rubio rumours, but I think he should stay for now.

Aust
02-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Time.

Aust
02-16-2016, 12:43 AM
Also, 3pt shooting. They are 2nd last in 3 %.

goose15
02-16-2016, 12:50 AM
a time machine for KG

ManningToTyree
02-16-2016, 03:22 AM
Time. came in here to say this. They have two future superstars. Just time and depth.

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
A point guard that can shoot, and a primary scoring option with better efficiency.

Wiggins has a high ceiling, but he simply isn't efficient and doesn't have a 3-point shot. Neithers does Rubio or Townes, and Lavine's 3pt shot isn't that great.

Townes is important because of his rebounding and defense, and his post game should be good enough to draw double teams and open things up for guys on the outside, so he's obviously a keeper, and Lavine seems like he could develop into a consistent 3pt-shooter. But rubio and Wiggins both struggle from there.

If they could use Wiggins as bait to pry away somebody like Klay, I think that would be great. Or if they target 3-point shooters in free agency, or use one of their bigs in a trade.

With Rubio and Wiggins taking a quarter of the teams' shots at their current percentages, this team will not compete for a playoff spot anytime soon.

SDvikes
02-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Wiggins - Towns are going no where....

I would use Lavine + Rubio/Shabazz to get a point and a Power Forward.

Lavine is the hot name right now, sell while his stock is high...

Maybe try and get Lopez from the Knicks for Rubio. Then get Teague for Lavine Combo.

Teague
Wiggins
Shabazz
KAT
Lopez

Dieng can contribute off the bench/ Still need another 2 guard/ sign Ferdette from D league.

dnl123
02-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Wiggins and Towns are both 20 years old. Their stats at their current age compare favorably to Kobe and KG in their first couple seasons. To be clear I'm not saying they'll get up to the caliber of KG or Kobe, but it's encouraging that the numbers aren't drastically different when Kobe and KG were in their first few years.

Lavine is the hardest to read. A lot of Wolves fans are out on him already, but I just can't get over his athletic ability. He is being utilized wrong by our bonehead coach. If he gets the right coaching he could be a very solid player. There's no way this guy couldn't eventually become an elite defender with his reaction time and athletic ability. He's just got to put in the work. And he's not a point guard no matter how hard they try to cram him into that role.

As a Wolves fan I think we need time and a good coach to develop these guys. Sam Mitchell is a horrible coach.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 11:19 AM
They need a new coach who runs a more modern type offense, and time. Remember, they add yet another top 5-6 pick this year. Their cap money will be wide open as the new tv deal kicks in, they will be attractive to FA's with that young core.

Our top 3 scorers can't even buy a beer yet. The Wolves will be a tough team in a few years. Towns to me, has shown me enough for me to believe he will be fighting for MVP awards some day. Rubio is an enigma, but there is no question we are better with him, than without.

1- new coach
2- shooters
3- time....

valade16
02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
They need a new coach who runs a more modern type offense, and time. Remember, they add yet another top 5-6 pick this year. Their cap money will be wide open as the new tv deal kicks in, they will be attractive to FA's with that young core.

Our top 3 scorers can't even buy a beer yet. The Wolves will be a tough team in a few years. Towns to me, has shown me enough for me to believe he will be fighting for MVP awards some day. Rubio is an enigma, but there is no question we are better with him, than without.

1- new coach
2- shooters
3- time....

As a Blazer fan I too am saying that the new TV deal means we have a ton of money in FA and Lillard and our surprising success makes us attractive to FAs.

If every small market team is saying that, the reality is most of them won't get any high end FAs.

Minnesota is a team to watch out for in the future. They have a lot of young talent, but small market teams anticipating high end FAs, even with the new cap, will be disappointed this offseason IMO.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
As a Blazer fan I too am saying that the new TV deal means we have a ton of money in FA and Lillard and our surprising success makes us attractive to FAs.

If every small market team is saying that, the reality is most of them won't get any high end FAs.

Minnesota is a team to watch out for in the future. They have a lot of young talent, but small market teams anticipating high end FAs, even with the new cap, will be disappointed this offseason IMO.

I don't see FA's flocking to the Lakers, or Knicks anymore.....

With social media where it is, and the fact that players can make as much money in Milwaukee as they can in Chicago nowadays, I don't think the large markets have quite the appeal they once did.

If you can sign a big deal to play alongside Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Rubio, or, sign a big deal to play alongside Russell, Clarkson, and Randle, which sounds more appealing?

Just an example, but I don't think being a small market matters like it once did.

I don't expect any high end FA's, I just believe the perception has changed now, with the ability to thrive in any market a reality.

Dude, I a am a Wolves fan. I half expect Towns kneecap to blow out of his leg, hitting Wiggins in the temple, and breaking his neck, to happen any moment. We suck for a reason, and just because we have a nice young core doesn't mean Glen Taylor and his posse won't take every chance possible to screw it up...

Vinylman
02-16-2016, 11:47 AM

With social media where it is, and the fact that players can make as much money in Milwaukee as they can in Chicago nowadays, I don't think the large markets have quite the appeal they once did.

If you can sign a big deal to play alongside Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Rubio, or, sign a big deal to play alongside Russell, Clarkson, and Randle, which sounds more appealing?

Just an example, but I don't think being a small market matters like it once did.

I don't expect any high end FA's, I just believe the perception has changed now, with the ability to thrive in any market a reality.

Dude, I a am a Wolves fan. I half expect Towns kneecap to blow out of his leg, hitting Wiggins in the temple, and breaking his neck, to happen any moment. We suck for a reason, and just because we have a nice young core doesn't mean Glen Taylor and his posse won't take every chance possible to screw it up...

I agree in general that the big markets don't have the advantage which they once did (which was the ability to spend like drunken sailors versus small markets) but I think you are ignoring the fact that you are in Minnesota and that the weather is fundamentally miserable there for a good portion of the year and the city is pretty meh for a young guy...

Look at Cleveland... they were never able to attract top tier FA's even on Lebron's first run ... I suspect it would be difficult even now if they had cap space...

As for the Lakers, they have only ever attracted 1 top tier FA that I know of and that was Shaq... they built their team mostly by buying players in trades (ie cap relief/actual cash) and through the draft.

The core in Minnie is good but the sooner you dump Rubio the better... his inability to shoot is gonna kill you guys and there is zero chance it will ever improve

valade16
02-16-2016, 11:51 AM

:laugh2:

As a Blazer fan I'm completely the same way, most Blazer fans are actually. There was an article from last year where it talked about how, even though we were doing very well (it was the first half of the season), Blazers fans weren't getting too optimistic because of how bad things usually always happen to us.

So I fully understand the sentiment.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 11:51 AM
I agree in general that the big markets don't have the advantage which they once did (which was the ability to spend like drunken sailors versus small markets) but I think you are ignoring the fact that you are in Minnesota and that the weather is fundamentally miserable there for a good portion of the year and the city is pretty meh for a young guy...

Look at Cleveland... they were never able to attract top tier FA's even on Lebron's first run ... I suspect it would be difficult even now if they had cap space...

As for the Lakers, they have only ever attracted 1 top tier FA that I know of and that was Shaq... they built their team mostly by buying players in trades (ie cap relief/actual cash) and through the draft.

The core in Minnie is good but the sooner you dump Rubio the better... his inability to shoot is gonna kill you guys and there is zero chance it will ever improve

not so much. Cleveland is indeed a dump. Minneapolis is actually a pretty cool city believe it or not.

Rubio is an enigma. Much can be pointed to the fact that the team is SO much better with him. But I just have the feeling deep down, that come playoffs, when teams have 7 games to plan for you, he gets put in a situation often where he is forced to score. And he simply can't do it. But, the other part of me is hoping Towns/Wiggins become such a nightmare to deal with, you won't be able to send those traps/options at Rubio.

The problem is, there really is no better option moving forward. We can draft a PG, groom him, and let him take over in a couple years, but there is nothing out there better on the FA market than Rubio, and I don't see teams trading away lead guards in their early 20's...

flea
02-16-2016, 11:55 AM
If Towns and Wiggins can both be the 2-way players their ceilings say they're capable of then they don't need anything else of significance. Shooting, another solid role player big, and a guard if they don't trust Rubio.

Personally I think Rubio is great for their 2 young stars - he can defend pretty much any guard, doesn't need to score, and is a great passer playing with 2 non-ballhandlers. Sure he needs to get better either with his jumper or his floaters/finishing but he has complementary skills that only a handful in the league do and is just entering his prime. He's got the kind of skillset for a guard that can last through his mid-30s barring serious injury.

FOXHOUND
02-16-2016, 12:05 PM
As mentioned, time is the biggest thing. That upcoming draft pick should add one last high end prospect. By next year, I expect for them to be winning 35 games with their growth. Mainly, KAT is going to be a bonafide superstar so as he takes jumps so will that win number. For that draft pick, for me there's two main options.

Option A) Pray for a lucky lottery bounce and end up with a top 2 pick to draft Brandon Ingram.

If they get lucky on this, then hot diggity damn. Adding another immensely talented prospect with good two-way potential and that scoring and shooting talent would be perfect. Also great that he's a SF, keeping Wiggins at SG where his weak rebounding is better covered.

Option B) Stay put and draft Buddy Hield.

This is still a good option, but it has it's flaws. For starters, Hield being a 6'4 SG adds some weakness as well as strength. He's not the best defensive player, and being undersized in the NBA won't make that any easier. It would also force Wiggins to move back to SF, where he'll really need to work on that rebounding to at least get it respectable.

But, he does bring some great shooting and that's something they really need. He's also a good rebounder, so he can help offset Wiggins at SF if he's able to rebound well for an NBA SG at 6'4. Being older also means he's more polished, so having one less 20-year old isn't the worst thing in terms of getting good sooner. He's pretty good handling the ball in the PnR and such, so they can have a double combo guard sort of backcourt when he and LaVine are out there together.

This is the more likely option, also because maybe the Wolves win more games this year than people are expecting...

The Wolves went into the break strong, winning 3 of the last 4 games. Not only that, but they beat the Clippers on the road, the Bulls and the Raptors in those 3 games. They also played OKC tough at the end of January. This current stretch comes with a new adjustment, making Gorui Dieng their starting PF for what I imagine will be for good. It's only been 8 games, and they're 3-5 in these 8 games, but as mentioned they won 3 quality games in the last 4 as they continue to adjust.

And Dieng? This guy is producing at a high level and they're good when he's out on the court. The last 8 games, with him starting all of them, Dieng is putting up,

16.9 PPG, 10.3 REB and 3.4 AST with just 1.6 TO on a .641/.143/.708 shooting line in 35.7 MPG. He's also getting to the FT line an impressive 6.0 times per game vs 9.8 FGA, a great ratio. Adding all of that up, he's an extremely efficient offensive player.

The Wolves have outscored opponents an average of 4.3 points with Dieng on the court in these games and in only one of them have they had a negative rating, a minuscule -4 at that. He's also a good fit with Towns, being more of an inside big, as this may allow them to get KAT out to 3-point range more where that ability of his has been latent.

From that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves had a relatively hot 2nd half. Maybe even playing .500 ball and ending up with 31 wins.

Vee-Rex
02-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Time.

Minny has an incredibly bright future. Their youth is special. All it takes is patience. These guys are gonna get better and better.

In the meantime, I think they need to look for some young 3-point snipers. Maybe seek out some possible alternatives at point guard. Keep a few veterans on the team to help coach up the young guys, and look for a Brad Stevens-like future coach that can install a great system and principles to the young guys.

mrblisterdundee
02-16-2016, 12:21 PM
They need shooting. Karl-Anthony Towns is one of the best shooters on that team. Good for him, but there's something fundamentally wrong with that.
I think Harrison Barnes would be a great fit on that team.

Vinylman
02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
not so much. Cleveland is indeed a dump. Minneapolis is actually a pretty cool city believe it or not.

Rubio is an enigma. Much can be pointed to the fact that the team is SO much better with him. But I just have the feeling deep down, that come playoffs, when teams have 7 games to plan for you, he gets put in a situation often where he is forced to score. And he simply can't do it. But, the other part of me is hoping Towns/Wiggins become such a nightmare to deal with, you won't be able to send those traps/options at Rubio.

The problem is, there really is no better option moving forward. We can draft a PG, groom him, and let him take over in a couple years, but there is nothing out there better on the FA market than Rubio, and I don't see teams trading away lead guards in their early 20's...

Not Saying Minnie is a dump at all... in fact I like it ... but I doubt I would have liked it in my early twenty's like I loved living in SoCal... anyway... I still think it will be hard to attract top tier guys

As for Rubio... How much worse could you really be without him if you had a Darren Collison type? Not saying Darren is the answer but we are talking about a team that has won 17 games... Rubio is the same player statistically that he was 5 years ago when he entered the league... If he hasn't learned how to shoot the ball by now he won't

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Not Saying Minnie is a dump at all... in fact I like it ... but I doubt I would have liked it in my early twenty's like I loved living in SoCal... anyway... I still think it will be hard to attract top tier guys

As for Rubio... How much worse could you really be without him if you had a Darren Collison type? Not saying Darren is the answer but we are talking about a team that has won 17 games... Rubio is the same player statistically that he was 5 years ago when he entered the league... If he hasn't learned how to shoot the ball by now he won't

Right, but those guys aren't easily available. And I have a hard time really gauging Rubio's impact. There is no doubt he is an elite defender/rebounder/passer, and runs an offense well. His one fault is his shooting. Currently, we can't cover that up. But a really good team may be able to. He is a very good FT shooter, so I just don't get how it hasn't (and won't) translate to his shooting.

Look, I am all for an upgrade at PG, but right now, there are no better options available. Take him off the point of attack, and our defense gets so much worse.

As for the FA's, we don't need the top tier guys imo. Towns will be a monster, and Wiggins will be at least an all star caliber player. LaVine, I am still trying to figure out haha. One game he looks fantastic, the next he looks like a D Leaguer

Tony_Starks
02-16-2016, 01:18 PM
they need to move to the eastern conference.

IKnowHoops
02-16-2016, 03:31 PM
They need to draft well for the next two years, and wait for 3 years.

Lets say they hit on Ben Simmons this year. I'd be happy if they got Buddy Hield. Either way, they are going to get a pretty good (college player) in this draft. If they can trade Rubio and Martin away for some draft picks, and hit a good draft the following year, they will have everything they need to become a great team.

I'm looking at what Wiggins, Lavine and Towns can do at such a young age and I can see the potential. They each need 3 more years before we can expect them to play winning basketball in the west. You can't expect great 19 year olds to do anything in the NBA. They dont even have man bodies yet, so they are automatically at a disadvantage. We need to nurture and grow these guys and coach/teach them to reach there potential.

Over the next two seasons, if we can draft well, I think that 3rd year is where MN is going to explode into the playoffs. And maybe even go on a little run. MN just needs to be patient. Shabazz and Tyus are also two young guys with a lot of potential and they will be getting better of the next 3 years as well. The draft pick this year and next year will add to what they have and continue to improve the team over the foreseeable future.

Before that 3rd year, you bring in a superstar, and a few glue guys, and let your young core that will be about 7-8 deep be the engine into the playoffs and eventually hopefully to the finals. I know that scenario rarely works, but its rarely seen through, and rarely do the teams draft the right players, but GS has shown what they were able to do, and same with OKC. I think the T wolves have that level of talent through drafting as well. They all just need the time to mature. Steph was barely making it into the playoffs at 24 years old, these guys are all 19/20. All the wolves should do, is believe in there players, draft well, give them time.

DanG
02-16-2016, 03:56 PM
I'd say in two years they are in the playoffs, you can just tell Wiggins and especially Towns are no joke. As for the upcoming draft Buddy Hield seems like a good fit that can help them right away. The biggest question mark is Rubio, but I haven't seen them play much so I can't tell if they're better without him or not.

Aleksandar
02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
New coach.

Also, Dieng isn't that great imo, he's cool, but the reason Twolves are better with him on the floor is clear. His alternatives are Bjelica and Payne.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 04:48 PM
New coach.

Also, Dieng isn't that great imo, he's cool, but the reason Twolves are better with him on the floor is clear. His alternatives are Bjelica and Payne.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that our offense jumped to a very productive efficiency level when Dieng was moved into the starting lineup though....

trevhipp7
02-16-2016, 06:26 PM
1. Time for their young players to develop.
2. Perimeter Shooters (Hield in the Draft, or Barnes in Free Agency make sense, maybe McLemore in a trade)
3. A new coach who uses the 3PT shot as a part of the offense
4. Get out from under the Pekovic contract

Vincent
02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
I would say coaching

I think the biggest issue for the Timberwolves is undefined roles for their players, but it looks like KAT is busting out no matter what role the coaching staff tries to put him in.

If they can get a coach to go in there, have the young guys play together without agendas while defining clear roles and objectives, I think the Wolves will be a serious team to worry about in the future.

Vincent33
02-16-2016, 06:49 PM
I like the rumors of Thibs and MIN. He'd have to work with the kids, but KG will be there still.

Chronz
02-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Coaching and to stand pat, dont make the mistake NO made with AD and try to win before your time. Not sold on Wiggins but he should at least become a championship role player if he never figures out this scoring thing.

IKnowHoops
02-17-2016, 04:06 AM
If we can't get super lucky and get Ben Simmons, then we should draft either Kris Dunn or Buddy Hield. I'd start both of them at PG next year and give Dieng a chance to earn the starting PF spot.

Pek, Martin, Rubio all have to go so that this new era can start getting reps. I would love to trade all three netting a 1st round pick in the top 5. LOL Next year in the top 5 as well.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
for those of you saying Rubio needs to go, please, offer up an alternative. Seriously.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Coaching and to stand pat, dont make the mistake NO made with AD and try to win before your time. Not sold on Wiggins but he should at least become a championship role player if he never figures out this scoring thing.

I am not sold on Wiggins yet either. I like his scoring potential long term, but his team defense, and total inability to offer anything more than points, and guarding his man 1-1, is bothering me.

raiderposting
02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Trade Rubio and try to bring in a conley or dragic.

Vee-Rex
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
for those of you saying Rubio needs to go, please, offer up an alternative. Seriously.

From what I gathered, I don't think anyone is saying Rubio needs to go or the Wolves will lose forever. I think people have a hard time envisioning the Wolves developing into a strong contender when the person who handles the ball cannot shoot 3's, mid-range, or layups. Could it change? It's possible, just doesn't seem likely. Doesn't matter how good his FT% is.

Wolves might not find a better player until years from now, but in this era it's almost crucial to have a PG that can be a threat from deep. Not even a remarkable shooter/scorer, but someone who CAN do it, and for all intents and purposes, Rubio is the extreme opposite (no other starting PG OR SG shoots worst except for Tony Allen).

Michael Conley would probably be the perfect fit. He's only 28 and so he still got some good years left in him.

I'm also a fan of Ramon Sessions and think that, given enough PT, he can be decent.

Mario Chalmers has been playing well.

Jrue Holiday is another name.

C.J. McCollum.

Darren Collison.

Rubio is obviously a talented enough PG in the league, I'm just not sure a team could truly win meaningful, intensified, playoff games with him. It'd really take a special team to pull that off.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
I bash on Rubio a lot, but he is absolutely top 3 in yhe league at his position in the following things:

passing
rebounding
defense

I don't see a current better option at the moment. Conley? Maybe. He is also 30 by the time we are a winning team. This draft doesn't have the answer it appears.

Enigma...that is what Rubio is

kyubi256
02-17-2016, 02:50 PM
They need some veteran leadership on that team. They seem to be a team with just a lot of good players. Not a team, just a bunch of a good players.

It is like the Cavs post Lebron all over again. They had Kyrie who was a superstar and a bunch of other guys. But they were just players. Not a team.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 04:23 PM
They need some veteran leadership on that team. They seem to be a team with just a lot of good players. Not a team, just a bunch of a good players.

It is like the Cavs post Lebron all over again. They had Kyrie who was a superstar and a bunch of other guys. But they were just players. Not a team.

KG is there, but he hasn't played forever.

Look, our top 3 scorers can't buy a beer. You do NOT win games when you play a bunch of kids a lot. I would say this is much close to the Thunder than the post LeBron Cavs. Rubio is in his 5th season, he better be a vet by now.

They just need to stand pat, get a modern coach, add another high lottery pick this year, and stick to the plan.

8kobe24
02-17-2016, 07:23 PM
A good bench, and patience. Let these kids grow together.

kpjets
02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
tom thibodeau

IKnowHoops
02-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Well the alternative is being a worse team now, so that we can get another 1,2 great picks, give Tyus a chance and draft PG that can stroke, and be better in the long run. I don't want to fight to be mediocre now, probably succeeding in being mediocre with Rubio, and be doomed to hover around that mediocrity for a while because we missed out on some good college players we could of had, if we would of just been worse.

I want the team to get rid of Rubio, take a step backwards, let all our young guys gain experience so that 2 years from now we have a bunch of seasoned 22 year olds who are ready to make that next step.

Keeping Rubio retards that process. Keeping Rubio keeps us with a PG who cannot shoot.

I know full well that the moment we get rid of Rubio, we get worse. But I feel 3 years form now, our team will be 200% better for it.

IKnowHoops
02-17-2016, 09:37 PM
I bash on Rubio a lot, but he is absolutely top 3 in yhe league at his position in the following things:

passing
rebounding
defense

I don't see a current better option at the moment. Conley? Maybe. He is also 30 by the time we are a winning team. This draft doesn't have the answer it appears.
Enigma...that is what Rubio is

You don't like the 6'4 PG Kris Dunn?
I'd actually like to give Buddy a chance at PG, being that hes 6'4 and can drain. He also can handle the ball well and seems to usually make the right play.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2016, 12:05 PM
You don't like the 6'4 PG Kris Dunn?
I'd actually like to give Buddy a chance at PG, being that hes 6'4 and can drain. He also can handle the ball well and seems to usually make the right play.

Dunn can't shoot a lick either. Why dump Rubio for another crappy shooting PG?

Buddy is a turnover machine at PG, he is better as an off the ball scorer.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2016, 12:06 PM
I never thought I would say this, but Rubio is very underrated apparently. I crap on him all the time, but he brings things to the table most of you don't see obviously.

Vee-Rex
02-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Well the alternative is being a worse team now, so that we can get another 1,2 great picks, give Tyus a chance and draft PG that can stroke, and be better in the long run. I don't want to fight to be mediocre now, probably succeeding in being mediocre with Rubio, and be doomed to hover around that mediocrity for a while because we missed out on some good college players we could of had, if we would of just been worse.

I want the team to get rid of Rubio, take a step backwards, let all our young guys gain experience so that 2 years from now we have a bunch of seasoned 22 year olds who are ready to make that next step.

Keeping Rubio retards that process. Keeping Rubio keeps us with a PG who cannot shoot.

I know full well that the moment we get rid of Rubio, we get worse. But I feel 3 years form now, our team will be 200% better for it.

You've been using WE and US a lot when describing Minny. Heat fan, then a Cavs fan, now a Minny fan?

IKnowHoops
02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
You've been using WE and US a lot when describing Minny. Heat fan, then a Cavs fan, now a Minny fan?

I'm not a heat fan or a Cavs fan. I'm a Lebron fan. As far as teams go, I am a Spurs fan, and a T-Wolves fan. I grew up in MN. Was a fan when they first got the team. Back in the Pooh Richardson, Doug West, Randy Brewer days. David Robinson is my favorite player of all-time, so I've been a spurs fan since he was a rookie. Pop is my favorite coach. I go for Lebron though because he still doesn't have the respect he deserves. The Spurs have that respect and they have there rings, so I don't go as hard for them anymore, plus all my favorite players from the Spurs are either very old or retired. I'm from MN, grew up in MN, so I will always be a fan, but over the last 10 years all I can talk about is how they traded Foye for Roy on draft day, or how we were the worst team but still got the 3rd pick overall and had to take Christian Laettner instead of Shaq or Zo. Or cry about how we drafted Johny Flynn and Ricky Rubio over Steph Curry.

Who wants to do all that and be negative all the time. They are still horrible so its not like I am jumping on the proverbial bandwagon. I'll always have love for MN. But in general I'm a different fan.

I guess die hard fans would say that if there favorite player leaves there team, they hate that player because he's not on the squad anymore. I'm opposite. I couldn't of been more happy for KG when he finally was able to get away from MN.

I was happy for Lebron when he went to Miami.

I'm about the players in this league, not the symbol that is on the jersey. The players make the league. Jersey symbols do not.

If you have anymore confusion about my preferences, don't be shy.

IKnowHoops
02-23-2016, 01:54 AM
Could the wolves package Rubio and there pick (say if we got the 5th pick overall) for the #1 pick overall?

Jeffy25
02-23-2016, 03:01 AM
Could the wolves package Rubio and there pick (say if we got the 5th pick overall) for the #1 pick overall?

No way.

Maybe to help jump from the 5th to say the 3rd, possibly as high as the 2nd? But even then, I doubt that much of a jump

mngopher35
02-23-2016, 03:30 AM
I believe it's considered a two person draft and overall pretty weak right? If so then I'd say best we could trade up to with him is 3rd cause teams won't wanna give up Simmons/Ingram

Chronz
02-23-2016, 02:05 PM

lol , f no

Thats why nobody wants to trade Rubio

Sly Guy
02-23-2016, 04:58 PM

golden age of point guards in the NBA says that's too much to ask for.

Aleksandar
02-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Right now looks like it's Simmons/Ingram, 3rd pick and below probably have less value.

Also, problem with trading Rubio, is that a lot of teams have good point guards. I've made some post in Twolves forum, analyzing teams that could use Rubio, and there didn't seem to be much of anything to work with. The list was short and no visible good packages.

As you saw in the rumor mil surrounding the trade deadline, it was New York and Milwaukee, but no clear framework for the trade. Apparently, Newton asked for Middleton, which I loved for twolves, but clearly Bucks didn't want it. Other Millwauke players are also bad trade material. Giannis/Parker untouchable, Monroe/Mcw plain bad. New York probably not even a slightest chance to make a deal good for both sides..

Oefarmy2005
02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm not a heat fan or a Cavs fan. I'm a Lebron fan. As far as teams go, I am a Spurs fan, and a T-Wolves fan. I grew up in MN. Was a fan when they first got the team. Back in the Pooh Richardson, Doug West, Randy Brewer days. David Robinson is my favorite player of all-time, so I've been a spurs fan since he was a rookie. Pop is my favorite coach. I go for Lebron though because he still doesn't have the respect he deserves. The Spurs have that respect and they have there rings, so I don't go as hard for them anymore, plus all my favorite players from the Spurs are either very old or retired. I'm from MN, grew up in MN, so I will always be a fan, but over the last 10 years all I can talk about is how they traded Foye for Roy on draft day, or how we were the worst team but still got the 3rd pick overall and had to take Christian Laettner instead of Shaq or Zo. Or cry about how we drafted Johny Flynn and Ricky Rubio over Steph Curry.

Who wants to do all that and be negative all the time. They are still horrible so its not like I am jumping on the proverbial bandwagon. I'll always have love for MN. But in general I'm a different fan.

I guess die hard fans would say that if there favorite player leaves there team, they hate that player because he's not on the squad anymore. I'm opposite. I couldn't of been more happy for KG when he finally was able to get away from MN.

I was happy for Lebron when he went to Miami.

I'm about the players in this league, not the symbol that is on the jersey. The players make the league. Jersey symbols do not.

If you have anymore confusion about my preferences, don't be shy.

So that's why you never participate in the Wolves forum, or if you do it's to troll Wolves fans, because you are a Minnesota fan? Seriously dude, don't come into the main forum and tell people that you are Wolves fan. Anyone that's active in the Wolves thread will confirm that it's not true.

IKnowHoops
02-23-2016, 09:56 PM
So that's why you never participate in the Wolves forum, or if you do it's to troll Wolves fans, because you are a Minnesota fan? Seriously dude, don't come into the main forum and tell people that you are Wolves fan. Anyone that's active in the Wolves thread will confirm that it's not true.

WTF are you talking about son. I have never trolled anyone in the Wolves forum. Please quote me homie. Please please put a quote of me trolling in the Wolves forum. I bet you are the only person in the wolves forum who could possibly think this. You need to get over yourself buddy. I don't waste time doing that.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
The young guy just need to continue to get opportunities and the team needs to get veterans to guide them.

tp13baby
02-23-2016, 10:33 PM
I believe it's considered a two person draft and overall pretty weak right? If so then I'd say best we could trade up to with him is 3rd cause teams won't wanna give up Simmons/Ingram

Its pretty weak overall yes. I think Buddy Hield would be a great fit. Gives them a better outside scorer. Give KAT room to work.

For Minny just give them time for Lavine (not incredibly high on him), Dieng and I think KAT and Wiggins will be a dominant duo for awhile.

In 3 years that division is going to be scary assuming OKC keeps their team intact.

IKnowHoops
02-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Its pretty weak overall yes. I think Buddy Hield would be a great fit. Gives them a better outside scorer. Give KAT room to work.

For Minny just give them time for Lavine (not incredibly high on him), Dieng and I think KAT and Wiggins will be a dominant duo for awhile.

In 3 years that division is going to be scary assuming OKC keeps their team intact.

I'm actually very high on Lavine. Gotta remember the kid is young. His athletic ability is off the charts. He's shooting at just under 49% from the field. He just needs to get reps and he will be a very good player IMO.

Aust
02-23-2016, 11:35 PM
If we got the 3rd pick I'd be willing to trade it for Rubio+Minny's first with a 3rd team giving something for Rubio.

KnicksorBust
02-24-2016, 09:05 AM

1- new coach
2- shooters
3- time....

Completely agree. It reminds me a slightly less talented version of OKC when they had Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka and still had a terrible season where they won like 20 games. Then they exploded. Minny is on the verge of greatness. Would love to see them find a way to get like a Korver/Reddick/Middleton type of wing.

MonroeFAN
02-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Wiggins - Towns are going no where....

Just wanted to bump this comment.

dnl123
02-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to bump this comment.

You know he was talking about their trade availability right?

Hawkeye15
02-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Completely agree. It reminds me a slightly less talented version of OKC when they had Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka and still had a terrible season where they won like 20 games. Then they exploded. Minny is on the verge of greatness. Would love to see them find a way to get like a Korver/Reddick/Middleton type of wing.

Buddy out of OK might work. But yeah, every game goes by I feel more and more confident that KAT will be an absolute superstar, and Wiggins, even if he never realizes his full potential, will be an excellent scorer who defends 1-1. LaVine I haven't figured out yet, but I think he turns into a good player.

MonroeFAN
02-24-2016, 11:08 AM
You know he was talking about their trade availability right?

You know that his post reads like a middle school book report, and if he was in fact hinting at that he did a terrible job of doing so?

dnl123
02-24-2016, 11:24 AM
You know that his post reads like a middle school book report, and if he was in fact hinting at that he did a terrible job of doing so?

I didn't realize that, but thanks for clarifying it for me buddy!

MonroeFAN
02-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Sorry brother. Cheers.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Should a private jet carrying the Warriors crash into a private jet carrying the Thunder and the collusion ends up crashing into the Alamo dome while the Spurs are playing the Clippers, and EVERYBODY dies, THEN I think the T-Wolves would have a great shot at making the playoffs both THIS season, AND next year.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Should a private jet carrying the Warriors crash into a private jet carrying the Thunder and the collusion ends up crashing into the Alamo dome while the Spurs are playing the Clippers, and EVERYBODY dies, THEN I think the T-Wolves would have a great shot at making the playoffs both THIS season, AND next year.

Wolves window, if they do it right, is from 2018-2025. We will have to see what the league looks like at that point.

Their 3 top scorers can't buy a beer (never been done before). Towns might be their best player, and a future superstar. Even if Wiggins can't figure it out, he is going to be an excellent scorer with 1-1 defensive potential. Rubio who knows, LaVine I still have a positive feeling about. The return they get for Dieng should be valuable. They have a crapload of cap space coming up at the right time. If they play it right, they will be an awesome team in 2-3 years. And while Towns/Wiggins are hitting their peak, Curry, Durant, Green, etc, will all be in their 30's.

crewfan13
02-25-2016, 09:38 PM
I'm not a huge lavine fan, so I personally wouldn't count on him really being a big time impact player. I was also lower on Wiggins coming out than most, but that's because I never saw him as a true go to number one scorer. That being said, Wiggins still has a ton of upside and such a high floor. Worst case scenario he's a really good 3-D guy. Towns is a stud a X is such a valuable piece because he can operate in any offense. Former elite bigs like Howard needed certain players around them to succeed. Towns doesn't really. His skill set is applicable in any offense.

So really, to answer the original question, I think the key for them is to keep collecting talent. They are in such a good position that towns and Wiggins can be so versatile that they can afford to grab the best players they can and not have to worry about fit.

IKnowHoops
02-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Wolves window, if they do it right, is from 2018-2025. We will have to see what the league looks like at that point.

Their 3 top scorers can't buy a beer (never been done before). Towns might be their best player, and a future superstar. Even if Wiggins can't figure it out, he is going to be an excellent scorer with 1-1 defensive potential. Rubio who knows, LaVine I still have a positive feeling about. The return they get for Dieng should be valuable. They have a crapload of cap space coming up at the right time. If they play it right, they will be an awesome team in 2-3 years. And while Towns/Wiggins are hitting their peak, Curry, Durant, Green, etc, will all be in their 30's.

You want to trade Dieng? He's been great in the starting rotation. The wolves are in a great position being that all there players are young and cheap. They can essentially just draft the best available player and just give them the opportunity to beat out the guy that's in front of him. Regardless of who starts, both the starting lineup and the bench gets stronger.

If we got Ben Simmons, I'd love Dieng off the bench for us.

IKnowHoops
02-25-2016, 10:26 PM
I'm not a huge lavine fan, so I personally wouldn't count on him really being a big time impact player. I was also lower on Wiggins coming out than most, but that's because I never saw him as a true go to number one scorer. That being said, Wiggins still has a ton of upside and such a high floor. Worst case scenario he's a really good 3-D guy. Towns is a stud a X is such a valuable piece because he can operate in any offense. Former elite bigs like Howard needed certain players around them to succeed. Towns doesn't really. His skill set is applicable in any offense.

So really, to answer the original question, I think the key for them is to keep collecting talent. They are in such a good position that towns and Wiggins can be so versatile that they can afford to grab the best players they can and not have to worry about fit.

Agreed! If they are able to get a guy like Ben Simmons this year. 2-3 years from now they may eclipse the talent of the young OKC teams. Even if they get Buddy Hield, if he turns out to be the next Ray Allen, then the Wolves are still going to be right there from a talent perspective.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2016, 11:27 AM
You want to trade Dieng? He's been great in the starting rotation. The wolves are in a great position being that all there players are young and cheap. They can essentially just draft the best available player and just give them the opportunity to beat out the guy that's in front of him. Regardless of who starts, both the starting lineup and the bench gets stronger.

If we got Ben Simmons, I'd love Dieng off the bench for us.

Our defense has also gone to scary bad with the change moving Dieng to the 4. With Dieng next to Towns, it is going to end up taking away many of Town's advantages. Their skillsets overlap, and there is no need to pay Dieng the money he will get in RFA. Trade him while value is high for a combo of shooting/defensive big.

Guys like Dieng (a big man with a pulse with nice numbers), get huge deals when they hit RFA. Either trade him when his value is high, or get nothing basically. No way we match a $10-12 million a year deal for Dieng (that is probably underselling what he gets in the new NBA), when we have Wiggins, Towns, LaVine all coming up for new deals following.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Agreed! If they are able to get a guy like Ben Simmons this year. 2-3 years from now they may eclipse the talent of the young OKC teams. Even if they get Buddy Hield, if he turns out to be the next Ray Allen, then the Wolves are still going to be right there from a talent perspective.

Wolves won't get a top 2 pick.

ewing
02-26-2016, 11:38 AM
either they have to get better players or there current players have to get better

Hawkeye15
02-26-2016, 12:06 PM
either they have to get better players or there current players have to get better

Well they have the best rookie big man in a very long time, Wiggins still looks like a great scorer with 1-1 D eventually, and their other young pieces have upside. They will be the first team in history to have their top 3 scorers not even able to buy a beer...

They also will have a ton of cap space as the new cap blows up.

IKnowHoops
02-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Our defense has also gone to scary bad with the change moving Dieng to the 4. With Dieng next to Towns, it is going to end up taking away many of Town's advantages. Their skillsets overlap, and there is no need to pay Dieng the money he will get in RFA. Trade him while value is high for a combo of shooting/defensive big.

Guys like Dieng (a big man with a pulse with nice numbers), get huge deals when they hit RFA. Either trade him when his value is high, or get nothing basically. No way we match a $10-12 million a year deal for Dieng (that is probably underselling what he gets in the new NBA), when we have Wiggins, Towns, LaVine all coming up for new deals following.

Gotcha

IKnowHoops
02-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Wolves won't get a top 2 pick.

The worst team will have a 25% chance to get the number 1 pick. The wolves will have between a 6-12% chance. The wolves are due for some luck, and who knows, maybe the NBA wants to help us out one time.

Forever35
02-26-2016, 01:37 PM
The worst team will have a 25% chance to get the number 1 pick. The wolves will have between a 6-12% chance. The wolves are due for some luck, and who knows, maybe the NBA wants to help us out one time.

Due for some luck...??? You had the friggin 1st pick last year the 2nd pick in 11', the 4th in 10', the 3rd in 08'... :shrug:

I'm hoping the C's can get at least get the 2nd pick... For as long as I'm living the C's drafted at the highest at the 2 spot ONCE...

Forever35
02-26-2016, 01:41 PM
It's always hindsight that sucks but, picture Towns and Rubio with Klay (11'), Cousins (10') and Westbrook (08')...

I hate re-drafting... :D

likemystylez
02-26-2016, 01:52 PM
What do the wolves need to compete for a playoff spot?

They would need to go undefeated from here on out. that would get them 42 wins... and that might be in competition for the final playoff spot.

Although fighting for those final 2 playoff spots out west is kind of pointless seeing as who their opponents would be in the opening round. It's kinda like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, or switching cubicles on the upper floors of the world trade center on sept 11 2001. its not a great position to be in.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2016, 03:22 PM

you claim to be a Wolves fan for some reason.

Then you should know, last year was a mistake. One the NBA will never allow again. We ain't getting a top 2 pick.

likemystylez
02-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Then you should know, last year was a mistake. One the NBA will never allow again. We ain't getting a top 2 pick.

yep, with the kicks and the lakers two of the worst teams in basketball- nba will be helping big market teams

Hawkeye15
02-26-2016, 03:57 PM
yep, with the kicks and the lakers two of the worst teams in basketball- nba will be helping big market teams

last year I was shocked for 2 reasons. We actually got the #1 pick. And the years #1 pick was worth being a #1 pick. In 27 years of being a Wolves fan, it was a first.

5ass
02-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Why didn't they help them last year?

IKnowHoops
02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Due for some luck...??? You had the friggin 1st pick last year the 2nd pick in 11', the 4th in 10', the 3rd in 08'... :shrug:

I'm hoping the C's can get at least get the 2nd pick... For as long as I'm living the C's drafted at the highest at the 2 spot ONCE...

We have had 100x the amount of bad luck as we have had good luck.

IKnowHoops
02-26-2016, 05:52 PM
What do the wolves need to compete for a playoff spot?

They would need to go undefeated from here on out. that would get them 42 wins... and that might be in competition for the final playoff spot.

Although fighting for those final 2 playoff spots out west is kind of pointless seeing as who their opponents would be in the opening round. It's kinda like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, or switching cubicles on the upper floors of the world trade center on sept 11 2001. its not a great position to be in.

man

IKnowHoops
02-26-2016, 05:54 PM

How did it all transpire?

likemystylez
02-26-2016, 06:33 PM
man

yep... its basically putting yourself in a position to get slaughtered

IKnowHoops
02-27-2016, 02:27 AM

I'm from MN...but you know that...?

We are all from/in MN so its "us"

I'm a fan of many players. And I do like the Spurs, because Drob is my favorite player ever. But the TPups are the only team that I cheer for that has nothing to do with the players that are on the team.

Its my home state, and so you always want your home state to win. They piss me off to know end so I don't talk about them much.