PDA

View Full Version : Potential locations as far as future NBA All Star weekends go

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Well as far as potential locations for future NBA All Star weekends go definitely Portland should host it and why? Portland they have never hosted an NBA All Star weekend and quite frankly neither has Sacramento too now that I think about it and also Oklahoma City they haven't hosted an NBA All Star weekend either

Chicago definitely hasn't hosted an NBA All Star weekend in like decades if I am not mistaken or how about Milwaukee?

Wade n Fade
02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I agree w/ Chicago. Charlotte, Portland, Minneapolis, Miami, Boston, Phoenix, San Fran, or Indy should be options.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Phoenix has already hosted an NBA All Star Game they hosted it in 2009 but for Charlotte they are getting it next year but for Minnesota, Miami, Boston, Bay Area and Indiana I will agree with you on

IndyRealist
02-15-2016, 01:05 PM
One issue with Indiana is that the fieldhouse is about 17yr old at this point.

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2016, 01:07 PM
One issue with Indiana is that the fieldhouse is about 15yr old at this point.

That's practically brand new!

Tg11
02-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Then definitely Miami, Chicago or Boston is the way to go but how about Atlanta? The last time hot 'Lanta hosted an NBA All Star weekend was 2003 so Atlanta they are pretty much due for an NBA All Star Game and Miami is also due they haven't hosted an NBA All Star weekend in over 25 years the last time they did was 1990 so they are long overdue and Chicago the last time they hosted was 1988 and Boston we haven't hosted an NBA All Star weekend in over 50 years

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
I think the NBA should really look into doing more international shows. I realize that teams want the revenue generated from their own venues, but I think hosting the weekend overseas, extending it by a couple of days, and giving impartial groups a fans who never get to see NBA basketball a chance to celebrate the game would be great.

Perhaps Paris. London. Bangkok. Hong Kong. Berlin. Tokyo. Mexico City. It'd be great for the popularity of the game internationally, especially in big markets like China and Japan. And if teams are upset at the notion of missing out on the chance to bring the revenue into their own venue, the teams can just split up the box office (if that's even how the system works).

I think Hong Kong would be ideal because the sport seems to have taken hold there, but Tokyo would be a great option. I think folks in London are already satisfied with their football, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by there or Paris.

celticsman2009
02-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Portland, Boston, Minny

Tg11
02-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Going out internationally would be interesting to say the least but would the NBA really go for something like that though? If they were to ever go out of the United States then they would end up right back in Canada again because of geographical time zone difference and what not

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Going out internationally would be interesting to say the least but would the NBA really go for something like that though? If they were to ever go out of the United States then they would end up right back in Canada again because of geographical time zone difference and what not

That could be a problem, but there are way to work around that.

Firstly, central and south American countries share time zones with America, so there are certainly options there.

Likewise, you could have a morning game in Hong Kong, say 10:00am, which, would start at 11:00 here. It would be a late game. Alternately, you could have an 11:00 game there and air it at noon in America. The time zones do make it tricky, because it might work well for the East coast but not the west coast, but still, I remember watching afternoon All-Star games as a kid. Loved it.

The question is more about profitability. The league needs more streams of revenue to grow. Tapping into a Chinese or Japanese market gives them literally billions of people. The advertising. The merchandise.

And you could also go with a two-city ASG. Perhaps due an America vs. the world game. Pause the league on Wednesday, have the A v W game on Friday in a time zone that works well for international fans. Then have the regular ASG on Sunday. You can have the skills competition with guys from the Euro/Asian leagues in the international city, and have the NBA do their own skills competition locally.

This would give the international folks something to watch and something they can be invested in, while still giving fans from the America the product they are used to.

IndyRealist
02-15-2016, 03:16 PM
I think the NBA should really look into doing more international shows. I realize that teams want the revenue generated from their own venues, but I think hosting the weekend overseas, extending it by a couple of days, and giving impartial groups a fans who never get to see NBA basketball a chance to celebrate the game would be great.

Perhaps Paris. London. Bangkok. Hong Kong. Berlin. Tokyo. Mexico City. It'd be great for the popularity of the game internationally, especially in big markets like China and Japan. And if teams are upset at the notion of missing out on the chance to bring the revenue into their own venue, the teams can just split up the box office (if that's even how the system works).

I think Hong Kong would be ideal because the sport seems to have taken hold there, but Tokyo would be a great option. I think folks in London are already satisfied with their football, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by there or Paris.

I'm pretty sure the venue gets the box receipts otherwise they wouldn't cover the costs of hosting.

JWO35
02-15-2016, 03:24 PM
I think its safe to assume that Sacramento, Milwaukee, and San Francisco are in line for All Star Weekend with their new stadiums set to open in the next few years....plus if the Pistons finally decide to move downtown in the next year or two(share the new arena with the Red Wings) I would love to see the All Star Game in Detroit.

RLundi
02-15-2016, 03:34 PM
It should be in warm-weather cities (except for megalopolises like NY, Chicago, SF, etc) like Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Orlando, Dallas, LA, etc. I'm sorry but I'd rather not be in a festive atmosphere in freezing cold February.

Maybe the draft should change locations every year and be in the north so they have their yearly event too? That'd be cool. Every winter and summer has its own events.

goose15
02-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Portland deserves it.. can't believe they've never hosted it before

JLynn943
02-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Sacramento should be getting one with the new arena opening next year.

5ass
02-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Djibouti.

Raidaz4Life
02-16-2016, 06:08 AM
My first thought when reading the thread title was Portland. Glad a lot of other people share the same sentiment.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Milwaukee after the new arena is finished.

mrblisterdundee
02-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Portland's building some new hotels near Moda Center, so that bodes well.

b_russ
02-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Vegas

PhillyFaninLA
02-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Go in alphabetical order to each city that has a team

BKLYNpigeon
02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Any team getting a new arena will get Priority.

NBA should also host an AS game in London.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 02:15 PM
It should be in warm-weather cities (except for megalopolises like NY, Chicago, SF, etc) like Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Orlando, Dallas, LA, etc. I'm sorry but I'd rather not be in a festive atmosphere in freezing cold February.

Maybe the draft should change locations every year and be in the north so they have their yearly event too? That'd be cool. Every winter and summer has its own events.

I will say, Minneapolis, in the winter, you really don't even need to go outside if you stay in Minneapolis. Everything, including the Target Center, is available via skyway. Hell, I walk it from my apartment building, it's easy.