PDA

View Full Version : Could the Toronto Raptors actually be a threat in the East?

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Considering the Raptors are 35-17 in 2nd in the East or as it stands right now could the Raptors make a serious playoff push this time around? Could the Raptors actually go far this year in the NBA Playoffs?

I mean the Raptors are in prime position to clinch a playoff spot assuming they win their next 10 games or next 15 games at least

But the Raptors as far as their division is concerned let's face it they are almost a lock to win their division again for the 2nd straight year assuming the Raptors don't collapse after this All Star break

xxplayerxx23
02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Nobody in the east will beat the cavs

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:53 PM
That you are right about but the Raptors they are actually one of the most surprising teams this season in the East

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't think we've seen the best from the Raptors yet. Jonas Valuanciunas is still only 23yrs old and likely has not reached his peak yet.

I think this team is one significant peice away from being a legitimate threat to the Cavaliers.

ewing
02-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Nope

Dade County
02-15-2016, 03:42 PM
No

LanceUpperCut
02-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Probably not unless TO made a big splash but they still have a better chance then any other team in the East.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-15-2016, 04:15 PM
They have the ability to make the 2nd round or ECF. But you could've said the same thing last year. I don't think they'll beat the Cavs though and if Buls/Heat are healthy, I'd pick them to have a good shot against the Raptors.

Kush McDaniels
02-15-2016, 04:50 PM
That Lowry injury derailed them last year. The team was not the same when he got back. If their health is good, and chemistry remains, they'll be a tough playoff team. A Bulls/Cleveland matchup would be very dificult for them, as usual.

Bill Simmons metioned in his podcast today that he thinks Masai could do a PatPat and Delon Wright for Thad Young trade before the deadline. That could be interesting.

bucketss
02-15-2016, 05:07 PM
after we get al horford ;)

ManningToTyree
02-15-2016, 05:24 PM
No they won't get past Cleveland as currently constructed

leprechaun5
02-15-2016, 05:39 PM
One star away from being there!

IndyRealist
02-15-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm not convinced by either forward position.

Statistically, Patrick Patterson seems like he is being misused. Scola fell off a cliff. And outside their top 7, there is no one of interest.

bucketss
02-15-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm not convinced by either forward position.

Statistically, Patrick Patterson seems like he is being misused. Scola fell off a cliff. And outside their top 7, there is no one of interest.

how did scola fall of a cliff? hes been a pleasant surprise so far and has become a sniper from 3. hes hit 41 threes so far this season, before this year he hit a combined total of 10 for his career.

FriedTofuz
02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Raptors should try to get Chris Bosh back, he's exactly what this team needs.

IndyRealist
02-15-2016, 06:42 PM
how did scola fall of a cliff? hes been a pleasant surprise so far and has become a sniper from 3. hes hit 41 threes so far this season, before this year he hit a combined total of 10 for his career.

His per minute points, rebounds, and assists are all down, his interior game (which was his major strength) continues to erode, and he doesn't shoot enough 3s to make up for it. And I assume he hasn't gotten better at defense.

zn23
02-15-2016, 07:26 PM
At this point, a threat in the East basically means whether the can beat the Cavs. The answer to that is no.

JJ_JKidd
02-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Considering the Raptors are 35-17 in 2nd in the East or as it stands right now could the Raptors make a serious playoff push this time around? Could the Raptors actually go far this year in the NBA Playoffs?

I mean the Raptors are in prime position to clinch a playoff spot assuming they win their next 10 games or next 15 games at least

But the Raptors as far as their division is concerned let's face it they are almost a lock to win their division again for the 2nd straight year assuming the Raptors don't collapse after this All Star break

Jesus time and time and again season after season people have sky high expectations on the Raptors. Didnt they get swept last year??? After being called CONTENDERS?!

bucketss
02-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Jesus time and time and again season after season people have sky high expectations on the Raptors. Didnt they get swept last year??? After being called CONTENDERS?!

yeah sure, "season after season", you mean the time we were suppose to tank for wiggins and we somehow became the 3rd seed.... lets not exaggerate here last year was the only let down after overachieving the previous year...

JJ_JKidd
02-15-2016, 10:07 PM
yeah sure, "season after season", you mean the time we were suppose to tank for wiggins and we somehow became the 3rd seed.... lets not exaggerate here last year was the only let down after overachieving the previous year...

Feel free Raptors fans to expect. Only chance I see Raps come out of East is if Lebron becomes out for the season due to injuries.

tredigs
02-15-2016, 10:34 PM
Them versus a Lebron-less Cavs would be a fun matchup.

Vee-Rex
02-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Raptors rank dead last or near-last in EVERY single assist category (including assists per possession to account for their slow pace). That might be okay for the regular season, but in the playoffs when defenses get intense, they're gonna be in trouble. They simply don't have the talent (like the Cavs) to have playoff success with iso-ball.

I say with their current style and players, ceiling is 2nd round, but first round exit is extremely likely depending on the matchup.

bucketss
02-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Raptors rank dead last or near-last in EVERY single assist category (including assists per possession to account for their slow pace). That might be okay for the regular season, but in the playoffs when defenses get intense, they're gonna be in trouble. They simply don't have the talent (like the Cavs) to have playoff success with iso-ball.

I say with their current style and players, ceiling is 2nd round, but first round exit is extremely likely depending on the matchup.

considering our second round opponent is probably boston im gonna say the ceiling is probably ecf unless you think we have no shot against the celtics.

BHF
02-16-2016, 12:46 AM
If the Raps make a decent trade by the trade deadline maybe, but until that happens Cavs a healthy Bulls and Heat team > Raps in the playoffs.

JJ_JKidd
02-16-2016, 01:10 AM
In addition, all will still depend whether Raps or other East playoff teams do some major trades.

Jayb587
02-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Raptors need one more piece and Carroll Healthy. They should mortgage the future and go for it now and try to get an upgrade at PF.

Lowry and DDR are going to be a force in the playoffs. Need just a little more help.

bucketss
02-16-2016, 01:42 AM
If the Raps make a decent trade by the trade deadline maybe, but until that happens Cavs a healthy Bulls and Heat team > Raps in the playoffs.

might as well add celtics and hawks if the heat are up there. probably pacers to imo

Jayb587
02-16-2016, 01:59 AM
might as well add celtics and hawks if the heat are up there. probably pacers to imo

the heat maybe, don't know who that guy could be tho. The Celtics need Dwight. adding horford is much of the same, another big who shoots and doesn't defend. Fully expect the Celtics to take another "promising loss" in the playoffs, and the hawks r trash, don't really care what there record is. they aren't beating anyone significant in the playoffs.

aman_13
02-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Them versus a Lebron-less Cavs would be a fun matchup.

Raps would win that series in 6 games max.

numba1CHANGsta
02-16-2016, 03:43 AM
Why is this even a topic? everyone knows the LeBron's are winning the East just like they do every season

JJ_JKidd
02-16-2016, 04:20 AM
Why is this even a topic? everyone knows the LeBron's are winning the East just like they do every season

Them delusional Raptors fans season after season after season expecting a lot as always

aman_13
02-16-2016, 05:03 AM
Them delusional Raptors fans season after season after season expecting a lot as always

Wtf are you taking about? There is not a single Raps fan who thinks the Raps are a legit threat.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Yall are basically talking about what team is gonna lose in the finals

mike_noodles
02-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Wtf are you taking about? There is not a single Raps fan who thinks the Raps are a legit threat.

But how does that help the narrative that all Raptors fans are delusional, lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Here's the thing. DMDR is not an efficient scorer and he relies on drawing fouls to be efficient. When teams are playing a 7-game series, they adjust for things like that and play smarter ball. It will be harder for DMDR to get away with that.

I love Lowry. I respect the work he puts into his game, and he's playing great basketball right now. Soid 3pt shooter, and Carroll and Ross are doing pretty good from downtown as well. Patterson and Scola are also doing pretty well. The problem is that the team doesn't have the kind of ball movement you see on SA or GSW, and they don't have the dominant big man that calls for the double-team to open things up.

I see teams putting pressure on the shooter and letting DMDR attack the basket. If that is the case, they will struggle to get out of the first round.

The other thing is, they are lightyears behind the teams out West. Where the Cavs could potentially push the Spurs or Warriors to 6 or even 7 games, the Raptors would be swept cleanly by any of the teams that have home court in the west so long as they are healthy. I mean, the Clippers are playing without Blake and have as many wins in the West, where they are playing against teams like GSW, SA and OKC.

The problem to is that should they draw a team like Chicago or Indy in the first round, or Miami, then they won't even necessarily get out of the first round. They all have guys like Butler, George and Wade who can take over a game, and in the case of Indy and Miami, experienced playoff coaches.

Despite who consistently they've been playing, I think their best case scenario is a second-round elimination.

Also, it is important to keep in mind that some teams who started off slowly haven't been playing well lately. Boston is 8-2 over their last ten games. Charotte is 7-3.

When you have teams that are all around 50 wins, plus minus 3, you really have to look at their record over the last 20 games of the season, because a team that started off hot but cooled a little will struggle against a team that started off cold and warmed up as the season went along, even if the team that started hot has home court.

Toronto has maintained their level of play, but with the standings as close as they are, and Toronto's win total being really only contextually impressive, it's hard to say what they will be able to accomplish.

And at the end of the day, if they were in the West, they likely wouldn't even come away with home court advantage in the first round.

It looks like a big fish/small pond scenario to me. The question isn't so much how big is the fish, but rather how small will the pond be.

zn23
02-16-2016, 02:41 PM

I think they have a good chance of getting to the ECF. They'll lose to the Cavs in 5-6 games. But If you look at the East right now, it's a total mess.

Early in the season I thought the Bulls would make some noise, but they have been in a free fall and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. D-Rose is killing the team, Jimmy Butler is out for 4 weeks, and all they have is Pau Gasol carrying them. Plus their bench is very weak.

The Heat are in a similar situation, which is why they are desperately trying to trade Hassan Whiteside.

Pacers are a .500 team.

Hawks could break up their core soon.

The Celtics are their only real threat to making the ECF.

While those numbers are a bit concerning, the rest of the east is so bad that I don't think it'll matter.

FriedTofuz
02-16-2016, 04:16 PM
woj called the raptor a contender #WojBomb

chi-townlove1
02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
You guys are ****ing cruel. The raptors have earned at least some respect from you haters, my lord. Never ends with you meat heads. If there is a team that can contend with the Cavs, it's the raptors. Enough with this season after season raptors fans bull ****. They're a damn good team and They continue to get better every year.