PDA

View Full Version : What happens to the Lakers once Kobe retires?

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Since this is Kobe's last season and all since he is retiring from the NBA, as soon as that happens where will that leave the Los Angeles Lakers?

Unless they make trades or even sign people in the off-season then at best the Lakers will be a lottery team for the next few years at least since the Lakers are a young team right now they have all these young pieces like Young, Clarkson, Randle, Russell, etc. where do they go from here?

cmellofan15
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
they keep sucking and finding new coaches

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:14 PM
At best the Lakers do have a promising future but only if they build around youth

Wade n Fade
02-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Players can learn how to be more comfortable in their own skin than having to deal with Kobe's excessive teammate riding. Free agents will want to come to the purple and gold because Kobe is a huge no-go for a lot of FAs. I don't blame them either.

Hawkeye15
02-15-2016, 12:17 PM
The changes started 3 years ago....

They are now a lottery team, and being poorly run so far under the new regime. This last offseason showed being a big market is no longer enough to draw FA's. So the Lakers will need to take an approach they never have before. They also need some draft help, and to develop their young talent, and build a competitive roster moving forward.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:22 PM
If Ben Simmons does go #1 in the draft and the Lakers do end up getting him then they can build around him

shep33
02-15-2016, 12:43 PM
I like our young core.

Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance are all going to be good players.

I think Russell and Randle are going to blow up next year. But we need to somehow get a young player/star on this squad. Most likely through trade.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I like our young core.

Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance are all going to be good players.

I think Russell and Randle are going to blow up next year. But we need to somehow get a young player/star on this squad. Most likely through trade.

Yes you guys do have a young core but then again so does a team like Minnesota for example but you are right about Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance you guys can successfully build around those 4 guys but then if you guys get a young star to basically be a leader on this team then who is there really for you guys to target or go after in a trade or off-season signing?

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
The Lakers have an extremely bright future. As much as I love & respect Kobe, his retirement gives the Lakers a pretty big boost in their rebuild. LA already has a solid core to build around in Russell, Clarkson, Randle and Nance. And with a top 3 pick they will have a great opportunity to find Kobe 's successor. What better way to pass the torch from Kobe with Ben Simmons.

With Kobe out of the picture, all of a sudden this is a young and inspiring team with some options. LA will soon return to being considered one of the more appealing city's to play in this league. With big money to spend and a top 3 draft pick, this off season will be crutial for the Lakers future. They will have a good opportunity to turn things around for this franchise much sooner than many will have anticipated.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 01:05 PM
The Lakers have an extremely bright future. As much as I love & respect Kobe, his retirement gives the Lakers a pretty big boost in their rebuild. LA already has a solid core to build around in Russell, Clarkson, Randle and Nance. And with a top 3 pick they will have a great opportunity to find Kobe 's successor. What better way to pass the torch from Kobe with Ben Simmons.

With Kobe out of the picture, all of a sudden this is a young and inspiring team with some options. LA will soon return to being considered one of the more appealing city's to play in this league. With big money to spend and a top 3 draft pick, this off season will be crutial for the Lakers future. They will have a good opportunity to turn things around for this franchise much sooner than many will have anticipated.

However the Lakers will they be able to get Ben Simmons in the draft? Because it all comes down to luck of the draw when it comes to the NBA Draft Lottery and not to mention Lakers still are one of the richest teams in the NBA but the Lakers they would have to be idiots to trade away their top 3 draft pick but if they were to do it to get someone in the off-season then they would have to go after someone pretty big

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes you guys do have a young core but then again so does a team like Minnesota for example but you are right about Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance you guys can successfully build around those 4 guys but then if you guys get a young star to basically be a leader on this team then who is there really for you guys to target or go after in a trade or off-season signing?

Well assuming we land our guy in the draft to be the next franchise cornerstone we will then more then likely look to FA/trade to continue upgrading and filling out the roster.

The good news is, with Kobe's salary coming off the books, we will have plenty of flexibility to go out there and make it happen.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Yeah but looking at this summer's NBA free agents the big ones that come to mind this year are Conley, DeRozan, Wade, Barnes, Whiteside, Bradley Beal, Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, LeBron James and KD Kevin Durant

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:20 PM
However the Lakers will they be able to get Ben Simmons in the draft? Because it all comes down to luck of the draw when it comes to the NBA Draft Lottery and not to mention Lakers still are one of the richest teams in the NBA but the Lakers they would have to be idiots to trade away their top 3 draft pick but if they were to do it to get someone in the off-season then they would have to go after someone pretty big

Yeah they better not dare entertain the idea of trading the pick away. I'd go ape ****. BC to me their are 2 home run picks in this draft . and theres a great chance the Lakers will end up with the 1st or 2nd pick. Obviously Simmons is the prize of the draft and a potential superstar so if the Lakers are fortunate enough to have him fall in their laps it would be an absolute blessing. And a franchise altering move. If not, landing Brandon Ingram wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He's a year younger than Simmons and IMO could end up being really special as well.
If they somehow strikeout on both and have terrible luck in the draft lottery I'd be deeply depressed lol.

Tg11
02-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Simmons or Ingram could be potential for the Lakers to build around but you are right about the Lakers possibly getting the 1st or 2nd pick in this year's Draft Lottery but then again the Lakers what if they end up getting the 3rd pick? Not much that the Lakers could do with that pick unless they were to trade that pick away for a much bigger star but if they do end up with #1 or #2 they definitely should keep the pick

Scoots
02-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Maybe they rebuild instantly like they think is going to happen.

The dream:

Walton as coach with a veteran bench to assist him.

Simmons is a Laker with some top level free agents to round out the team.

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Yeah but looking at this summer's NBA free agents the big ones that come to mind this year are Conley, DeRozan, Wade, Barnes, Whiteside, Bradley Beal, Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, LeBron James and KD Kevin Durant

Of all those players set to hit the market , I personally, would choose to put all our efforts into luring Andre Drummond to LA. I would love to have him as our next great big man. I consider him & Cousins the two best centers in the league.
Aside from him I wouldn't mind entertaining the idea of pursuing Harrison Barnes, BradleyBeal or DeMarr DeRozan.

I guess who we choose in the draft will play a role in who we target through FA.

I know many would love to see KD come and play for the Lakers but that may be a bit of a stretch. I think he ends up staying put anyhow.

Tony_Starks
02-15-2016, 08:44 PM
-Jeannie finally moves Jimmy out of the big chair

-Mitch more than likely is out as well because he's too closely linked to Jimmys incompetence

-Magic, now free of Jimmys interference and jealousy, comes in a advisory position

- Jerry West comes back for a advisory position or possible gm (Magic dropped this gem the other day that apparently he's still receptive to the idea)

-Byron out

-Respectable coach brought in, with Russell,Randle, Clarkson, Nance and our lotto pick the focus

-Full press conference show apologizing to the fans for squandering the franchise for the last several years, with promises of a new regime and focus on restoring respectability

CHANGO
02-15-2016, 08:46 PM
They will shine again with top players wanting to play there. Lakers are a big market with lot of history, top players will sign there once Kobe isn't there.

goose15
02-15-2016, 09:56 PM
I see Westbrook going there.. and I'm not a fan

kobe4thewinbang
02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Well, they'll get 25 million to use. No offense to Kobe, but he should've declined that overgenerous offer.
But hey, money is money. Does he need it? No. But whatever. They may lure some big names in free agency (e.g. DeRozan, Whiteside, etc) and a prayer for Durant or Westbrook. But yeah, it'll take a while to get better with Russell and Clarkson and Randle. They really don't have a vision yet or a decent coach and Jim Buss needs to step down.

Mave1002
02-15-2016, 11:10 PM
My Dreams are simple.

1.) Ben Simmons
2.) A legit centerpiece for Clarkson/Randle/Williams
3.) I wouldnt mind overpaying Harrison Barnes
4.) Festus Ezeli
5.) A healthy roster

???-Ezeli
Simmons-Randle-LNJ
Barnes-Brown
Clarkson-LOU
Russell-???

Jayb587
02-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Well, they'll get 25 million to use. No offense to Kobe, but he should've declined that overgenerous offer.
But hey, money is money. Does he need it? No. But whatever. They may lure some big names in free agency (e.g. DeRozan, Whiteside, etc) and a prayer for Durant or Westbrook. But yeah, it'll take a while to get better with Russell and Clarkson and Randle. They really don't have a vision yet or a decent coach and Jim Buss needs to step down.

as much money as he made the lakers, if I was him I wouldn't decline it either. Why should he be a slave, make the organization 10's of millions of dollars and not get his fair share. The organization promised him that they could work around his contract, and they tried, just failed to deliver.

As long as the FO is viewed as a joke they wont be going anywhere, even without Kobe.

KB24PG16
02-15-2016, 11:27 PM
can't bank out on free agents signing with la with the current roster, have to keep drafting well and pan out. hopefully then la becomes more attractable for free agents and/or have the necessary pieces to make big time trades

Aust
02-16-2016, 12:55 AM
They should go after(try) decently young FA to add to the young core, while still trying to take on salary and gain assets. IIRC we should have the most cap space in the NBA this offseason, especially if we can dump some more guys at the trade deadline.

I'm afraid our FO will be impatient and try to dump most of our young guys for a star. I don't want to trade for a big fish and then buy a contending team, I want to grow one with solid drafting.

numba1CHANGsta
02-16-2016, 03:34 AM
What happened to the Lakers once West/Wilt retired? they got Kareem then drafted Magic and Worthy and won 5 championships in less than 10 years.

What happened to the Lakers once Kareem/Magic/Worthy retired? They got Shaq and Kobe and won a 3 peat.

What will happen to the Lakers once Kobe retires? They'll sign/draft/trade for a superstar or two or three and build a new dynasty.