PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry may have the lowest MPG average for a scoring leader

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Last year, Westbrook was the first person (I think ever) to lead the league in scoring without averaging over 36 minutes per game (34.4). An impressive accomplishment!

This season, however, Curry is leading the league in scoring while playing fewer minutes than anybody else in the top ten (that needs to be double checked).

He's only playing an average of 33.8 minute a game, in large part due to the fact that he's sitting the 4th quarter so often.

This is putting him on pace to have the lowest MPG average of any scoring leader in the history of the game, at least since the shot clock (I'm not sure about before that).

As impressive as this is, it may prove to be a problem in terms of conditioning come playoff time. Players who are used to playing a certain number of minutes sometimes struggle in the playoffs where the minutes go up, and if Curry has even more minutes due to staying in the later into the 4th quarter, it could lead to fatigue.

That issue aside, this is just another historic element of this amazing season. Is this an anomaly? Or a trend with star players accepting coaches who ration minutes to extend careers?

Chavacano
02-15-2016, 01:36 AM
As impressive as this is, it may prove to be a problem in terms of conditioning come playoff time. Players who are used to playing a certain number of minutes sometimes struggle in the playoffs where the minutes go up, and if Curry has even more minutes due to staying in the later into the 4th quarter, it could lead to fatigue.

^^ If anything, it'll mean Curry will have relatively fresher legs compared to his peers come playoffs.

Scoots
02-15-2016, 01:36 AM
The lower mpg of starting players is definitely a trend and it's easy to see in the numbers.

I think come the playoffs Curry will be fine for endurance because he works out so hard before and after games now and he can cut back in those workouts if needed.

Chronz
02-15-2016, 02:35 AM
The entire league has eased up on the minutes as the talent pool increases and defensive principles become ingrained in most players.

Chronz
02-15-2016, 02:38 AM
MPG below standard dev. would be much more useful here.

lol, please
02-24-2016, 11:52 PM
What's funny is posters act like it's a negative thing that Curry often doesn't even need to play the 4th. :laugh:

Sly Guy
02-25-2016, 01:01 AM
^^ If anything, it'll mean Curry will have relatively fresher legs compared to his peers come playoffs.

I agree with this more than the OP. He's fresh, he's got fewer knicks and bruises, and I think his conditioning will be just fine.

adidas2307
02-25-2016, 04:00 AM
I mean, what's stopping him from sitting in the fourth during the playoffs? It could be the same story as the regular season.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Steph is having one of the most impressive individual seasons I have ever witnessed.

I thought he was going to get mvp AND most improved but I think McCollum may have upstaged him for that one

Scoots
02-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Steph is having one of the most impressive individual seasons I have ever witnessed.

I thought he was going to get mvp AND most improved but I think McCollum may have upstaged him for that one

He was never going to get MIP. It's not hard to argue that going from 26 to 32 points per 36 and leading one of the best teams ever is more impressive than going from 16 to 22 points per 36 on a .500 team ... but the voters were just never going to give it to Curry.

valade16
02-25-2016, 03:03 PM
He was never going to get MIP. It's not hard to argue that going from 26 to 32 points per 36 and leading one of the best teams ever is more impressive than going from 16 to 22 points per 36 on a .500 team ... but the voters were just never going to give it to Curry.

There are a few more extenuating circumstances than that for CJ.

First, they are an above .500 team finishing the end of the season (thus far) on absolute fire (15-3 in last 18), despite the fact they were projected to win 27.5 wins by Vegas and finish 2nd to last in the West.

Second, his per 100 possession points went from 22 to 30, not 16 to 22 and his PPG went from 7 to 21 to become the second leading scorer on the team.

Curry is deserving of the award, but let's not downplay how surprising and improved McCollum has been.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2016, 03:23 PM

First, they are an above .500 team finishing the end of the season (thus far) on absolute fire (15-3 in last 18), despite the fact they were projected to win 27.5 wins by Vegas and finish 2nd to last in the West.

Second, his per 100 possession points went from 22 to 30, not 16 to 22 and his PPG went from 7 to 21 to become the second leading scorer on the team.

Curry is deserving of the award, but let's not downplay how surprising and improved McCollum has been.

Yeah CJ has made a legit case for himself, I don't see this as a slight to Curry. I believe he would've got it had CJ not balled out.

Scoots
02-25-2016, 03:39 PM

Portland are a .500 team. They are not a .600 team, nor a .700 team, nor a .400 team. The current percentage is .526, but that was not my point. A baseball player hitting .326 is "a .300 hitter".

I didn't use per 100 possession numbers but per 36 minutes numbers. I understand they are different.

Per-game numbers are way over-valued, perhaps for most improved more than anywhere else. Player B shows what they can do but doesn't get any run because there is Player A in front of them on the depth chart ... Player A leaves and Player B continues to produce at the same rate per minute or with a slight increase because of the simple fact that more time on the floor generally increases efficiency a little for most players ... that doesn't mean Player B has improved, that's just more PT.

I didn't downplay McCollum, in fact I believe he'll probably get the award and deserve it, and his improvement is more than just more PT. I was just saying while it's possible to make a case for Curry to get it it's not going to happen.