PDA

View Full Version : Guys who should have never had an ASG appearance on their resume

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Every year some great talents get left off the AS team because a given position is deep, while others whose talent is simply not that impressive, have snuck on because their position was a little weak.

Likewise, players who play in a deep conference often miss out on an ASG appearance while less deserving guys make it in the other conference.

Who are some of the guys who you think should have never been selected to the ASG?

First name that comes to mind for me is Jamal MacGloire. J. O'Neal was listed as a PF that year I think, and Ben Wallace was the only dominant C in the east, so MacGloire got in, while the likes of Pau Gasol, got overlooked in the west, and Big Z missed out in the East.

CardinalRed24
02-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Chris Kaman and Kyle Korver come to mind

FlakeyFool
02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
kobe

Lakers + Giants
02-14-2016, 09:44 PM
jameer nelson

LanceUpperCut
02-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Antonio Davis was a solid player but I never seen him as all-star material. Can't remember what year he made it but I believe it was due to injuries and lack of C in the East.

CardinalRed24
02-14-2016, 09:54 PM
Theo Ratliff is another one I thought of.

Moyaz
02-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Mo Williams for sure

basch152
02-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Dwayne wade.

still1ballin
02-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Brad miller

Raps08-09 Champ
02-14-2016, 11:32 PM
David Lee.

Scoots
02-14-2016, 11:50 PM
Every year some great talents get left off the AS team because a given position is deep, while others whose talent is simply not that impressive, have snuck on because their position was a little weak.

Likewise, players who play in a deep conference often miss out on an ASG appearance while less deserving guys make it in the other conference.

Who are some of the guys who you think should have never been selected to the ASG?

First name that comes to mind for me is Jamal MacGloire. J. O'Neal was listed as a PF that year I think, and Ben Wallace was the only dominant C in the east, so MacGloire got in, while the likes of Pau Gasol, got overlooked in the west, and Big Z missed out in the East.

Never as in never in their career? Or never should have made it in a specific year?

Because if it's shouldn't have made it in a specific year then Kobe this year, but if it's never in their career then Kobe certainly deserves to have gone in the past.

CardinalRed24
02-14-2016, 11:59 PM
Never as in never in their career? Or never should have made it in a specific year?

Because if it's shouldn't have made it in a specific year then Kobe this year, but if it's never in their career then Kobe certainly deserves to have gone in the past.

Same could be said for MJ.

Scoots
02-15-2016, 12:14 AM
Same could be said for MJ.

And Magic, Bird, KAJ ... pretty much all the greats

kingsdelez24
02-15-2016, 12:14 AM
Anthony Mason made no sense

ewing
02-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Anthony Mason made no sense

Why not? The Heat won 50 games that year with Zo missing the season and Mason playing 40 mins a night and putting up some good #s

ManRam
02-15-2016, 11:56 AM
jameer nelson

Jameer earned it based on his play in that first half. But yeah, he wasn't ever truly an AS caliber player.

He shot 50/45/89 before he got hurt. The 50/40/90 club is hugely rare, and he was right there. 10 guys ever have done that.

21 PER. 61 TS%. He was playing like an all-star that year. The argument was between he and Mo Williams...he definitely did deserve it over Mo. Mo is a more correct answer.

/end Jameer Nelson homer rant

AJR
02-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Anthony Mason, Tyrone Hill

Hawkeye15
02-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Wally World

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Wally World

Thats tough imo. Szczerbiak was a great shooter in the early 2000s. He put up some really good numbers offensively.

ewing
02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Jameer earned it based on his play in that first half. But yeah, he wasn't ever truly an AS caliber player.

He shot 50/45/89 before he got hurt. The 50/40/90 club is hugely rare, and he was right there. 10 guys ever have done that.

21 PER. 61 TS%. He was playing like an all-star that year. The argument was between he and Mo Williams...he definitely did deserve it over Mo. Mo is a more correct answer.

Interesting post. I am sure he got a ton of good looks on that team but dude knocked them down. I guess he was an all star that year. I don't know why people are hating on Mase either. He wasn't the worst PF on the team that year. Antonio Davis made it with Raps that year!

ewing
02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
AC Green

Hawkeye15
02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Thats tough imo. Szczerbiak was a great shooter in the early 2000s. He put up some really good numbers offensively.

he was never an all star caliber player. He got in because of the rule that the top team in the conference MUST have more than 1 all star.

He could shoot, and was a decent scorer, but a horrific defender, passer, everything else. But that statue of liberty dunk!!

He is the definition of that player who doesn't seem fast, but when he sniffs out a transition bucket opportunity, suddenly morphs into Carl Lewis

mike_noodles
02-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Antonio Davis.

xbrackattackx
02-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Theo Ratliff is another one I thought of.

He is underrated though. He anchored that 76ers D.

goose15
02-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Jamaal Magloire

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Dale Davis of the Detroit Pistons in 2000.

kingsdelez24
02-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Dale Davis of the Detroit Pistons in 2000.

He was a Pacer, they even still wore their own teams jerseys man lol that's too hard to miss

FriedTofuz
02-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Josh Smith. He' trash

Hawkeye15
02-15-2016, 06:44 PM
remember when B.J. Armstrong started an all star game?

Hawkeye15
02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
the Virgin comes to mind too

zn23
02-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Kyle Korver, Luol Deng, Mo Williams and Jrue Holiday are all names that come to mind.

They are all solid role players, but not all-stars. JJ Redick is a lot better than Korver and he'll probably never make an all-star game.

kingsdelez24
02-15-2016, 07:33 PM
the Virgin comes to mind too

A.C Green ahaha

Devin Harris seemed like a legit all star one year and then just fell off the face of the earth

Lakers + Giants
02-15-2016, 07:50 PM

I admittedly am a Jameer Nelson hater, for some reason never liked him. This was the perfect thread for me to "bash" him lmao.

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Anthony Mason, Tyrone Hill

I liked both of those players a lot. I agree that Hill was not an 'all star', but I think Mason earned his spot. His averages may have been a little inflated because of his minutes, but that guy was a true iron man. He could play 40+ minutes a game and give you solid D the entire time. I see Green as a modern version of him. Can play any position in the front court, defend anybody on the floor, solid rebounder, amazing paser. Mason was just missing a 3-point shot.

You may be right on this one, but I think it is a close call.

ewing
02-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I liked both of those players a lot. I agree that Hill was not an 'all star', but I think Mason earned his spot. His averages may have been a little inflated because of his minutes, but that guy was a true iron man. He could play 40+ minutes a game and give you solid D the entire time. I see Green as a modern version of him. Can play any position in the front court, defend anybody on the floor, solid rebounder, amazing paser. Mason was just missing a 3-point shot.

You may be right on this one, but I think it is a close call.

Mase was not an all star caliber player but playing 40 plus mins a night on a team that over achieved and giving 19 and 10 he deserved it that year. Btw, he was actually a decent 3 point shooter in college before he put on 50 pounds of muscle. (admitted Mase homer here btw)

odiz
02-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Josh Smith. He' trash

He's never actually made an All Star team. Funny because I remember he always used to get talked about as one of the biggest snubs when he was left off.

kingsdelez24
02-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Antoine Walker's shooting percentage should have barred him from All Star eligibility

Raps08-09 Champ
02-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Are people naming players based on what they think all star talent is or if they actually deserved it or not that year?

zn23
02-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Are people naming players based on what they think all star talent is or if they actually deserved it or not that year?

For me it's the latter.

A player might not be All-Star caliber talent wise, but if he had an all-star season then I believe they deserve to make the team.

I don't believe Korver, Luol Deng, Jrue Holiday and Mo Williams, played well enough to make the all-star team team in the years they were picked.

Kyle Korver may be the worst selection of all time. He had a good shooting season, but he only avg. 12 ppg and didn't do much besides hit 3's. I'd take JJ Redick over him any day, but JJ will never make an all-star team.

Redrum187
02-16-2016, 01:39 AM
Josh Howard. That guy sucked!

AJR
02-16-2016, 08:27 AM
I don't think talent can be a factor really, it has to be about whether they deserved it that year or not simply because the asg is a popularity contest anyway. Talent isn't what got Kobe in this year. Another interesting question would be who should've gotten in based on talent and numbers for their respective years but got snubbed to make room for a more famous or popular player.

Also Jason, I agree Mase is a close call but I thought Hill was no brainer

warfelg
02-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Jrue Holiday played well enough the year he made it, and was selected as an injury replacement.

The guy that sticks out to me was Andre Iguodala. At least the Sixers version. He didn't really belong that year and was more a pick due to our shockingly good record right after having the #2 pick.

Speaking if Iggy, I'm still heated about his dunk contest championship being robbed by Nate "gimme 20 tries" Robinson. If Iggy wins that contest, I'm convinced it doesn't get as bad as it was until this year.

Just a reminder of what he did that year:
http://youtu.be/bTZbYHqk4cw

AJR
02-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Also BJ Armstrong and Dale Davis come to mind, if those haven't been mentioned

YAALREADYKNO
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Roy Hibbert making it over Al Jefferson was ridiculous a few years back. The man was averaging 12 & 8 lmao

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Mase was not an all star caliber player but playing 40 plus mins a night on a team that over achieved and giving 19 and 10 he deserved it that year. Btw, he was actually a decent 3 point shooter in college before he put on 50 pounds of muscle. (admitted Mase homer here btw)

My thing with Mason is that he was SUCH a good defender, and an AMAZING passer. I feel like people are eager to give a 20+ point scorer an AS nod, than they are a guy like Mason, who is the one that keeps those 20+ scorers from getting their 20 a game or making sure they need a few more shot to get it.

To me, if you get a guy like Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen, their game on defense is more impressive than guys like Josh Howard or Devon Harris are on offense. But those guys never get credit.

So, when I see a guy like Mason get an AS nod, after so many seasons of put cut-throat defense on the floor for 40+ minutes a game, I see it as overdue recognition.

But other than his team/man-to-man D, he was also a solid rebounder, and a GREAT passer. He really set the tone for role players who need to have good passing skills. I mean, there were bigs before him who could pass (Barkely/Hakeem), but we only saw that at the All-Star level typically. With Mason, he set the standard for ALL players to be able to pass. Now we see guys like Green adopting that kind of game, and teams like the Spurs and the Warriors filling their roster with PASSERS at every position.

I really feel like Mason was deserving of his All-Star appearance. I'm not too gung ho about it mind you, but I think that on the court he did far more than what his stats suggest. Adversely, you get a guy like Antoine Walker who did far less than his stats suggest.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Antoine Walker's shooting percentage should have barred him from All Star eligibility

The Shimmy's shot selection makes Kobe look reserved

Tony_Starks
02-16-2016, 11:36 AM
about a third of the east coast allstars the last 5 or so years...

kingsdelez24
02-16-2016, 04:28 PM

My thing with Mason is that he was SUCH a good defender, and an AMAZING passer. I feel like people are eager to give a 20+ point scorer an AS nod, than they are a guy like Mason, who is the one that keeps those 20+ scorers from getting their 20 a game or making sure they need a few more shot to get it.

To me, if you get a guy like Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen, their game on defense is more impressive than guys like Josh Howard or Devon Harris are on offense. But those guys never get credit.

So, when I see a guy like Mason get an AS nod, after so many seasons of put cut-throat defense on the floor for 40+ minutes a game, I see it as overdue recognition.

But other than his team/man-to-man D, he was also a solid rebounder, and a GREAT passer. He really set the tone for role players who need to have good passing skills. I mean, there were bigs before him who could pass (Barkely/Hakeem), but we only saw that at the All-Star level typically. With Mason, he set the standard for ALL players to be able to pass. Now we see guys like Green adopting that kind of game, and teams like the Spurs and the Warriors filling their roster with PASSERS at every position.

I really feel like Mason was deserving of his All-Star appearance. I'm not too gung ho about it mind you, but I think that on the court he did far more than what his stats suggest. Adversely, you get a guy like Antoine Walker who did far less than his stats suggest.

The only downside to his selection is how quickly he fell off that year in the playoffs

Ball_Out
02-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Make a thread just to hate on someone. But I'll say Kyle Korver. Thriving in a good system doesn't make you an all-star in my eyes

CardinalRed24
02-16-2016, 07:19 PM
He was a Pacer, they even still wore their own teams jerseys man lol that's too hard to miss

Oh **** I didn't even realize I had a brain fart. Davis finished his career with Detroit... [Don't shoot!]
&Believe me, I know of the late 90s Pacers all too well being a Laker fan. They gave us a battle.

MonroeFAN
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Antonio Davis and Magloire defiitely.

ewing
02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
The Shimmy's shot selection makes Kobe look reserved

He deserves his all stars nods just for the shimmy

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 12:58 PM
He deserves his all stars nods just for the shimmy

That and being the only player in history that would pull up for a 27 footer on a 3-1 break

Hangin n Wangin
02-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Make a thread just to hate on someone. But I'll say Kyle Korver. Thriving in a good system doesn't make you an all-star in my eyes

Korver for sure. Solid player. All star? **** no.