PDA

View Full Version : Was that the greatest slam dunk contest ever?

mrblisterdundee
02-14-2016, 12:04 AM
That was an epic duel between Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon to decide the slam dunk contest this year.
Where do you think this ranks all-time in dunk contests? Is it better than Dominique Wilkins vs. Michael Jordan in 1988?
Although it didn't have the star power, I think it was the greatest ever as far as, well, dunks. It could have been even greater if Andrew Wiggins had replaced Andre Drummond and been pitted against Zach LaVine.

Ball_Out
02-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Not for me, but im 38 years old and remember those Jordan contests vividly. I actually put the Vince carter V. Mcgrady contest over this one. This was damn good though, mostly because the contest has been crap lately.

IndyRealist
02-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Yeah no. But it's about as entertaining as I've seen in years.

Vincent
02-14-2016, 12:20 AM
I wanna see a re-match, Aaron Gordon got robbed

tredigs
02-14-2016, 12:26 AM
The main thing that would it from not being the best to some would most likely be star names and nostalgia. It's the best/most impressive battle I've seen for sure. Vince still had the best individual performance imo, and Jordan/Nique was the best contest among greats (and still the most iconic), but this was truly great. If for example this was 8 years ago and Lebron was doing the dunks Aaaron Gordon was doing, and Kobe's were Lavines, everybody on earth would deem it the best of All-Time.

AS Saturday as a whole with that 3pt shootout of the Splash Bro's was the best to date imo.

5ass
02-14-2016, 12:38 AM
The main thing that would it from not being the best to some would most likely be star names and nostalgia. It's the best/most impressive battle I've seen for sure. Vince still had the best individual performance imo, and Jordan/Nique was the best contest among greats (and still the most iconic), but this was truly great. If for example this was 8 years ago and Lebron was doing the dunks Aaaron Gordon was doing, and Kobe's were Lavines, everybody on earth would deem it the best of All-Time.

AS Saturday as a whole with that 3pt shootout of the Splash Bro's was the best to date imo.

Honestly I dont have a good enough memory to judge whether it was the best of all time, but I agree with what you said. Good AS Saturday.

northsider
02-14-2016, 12:45 AM
It's without a doubt the best step forward for the dunk comp. in a LONG time.

Gordon was robbed.

KnicksFan4Years
02-14-2016, 12:56 AM

Thanks for saving me the typing.

LA_Raiders
02-14-2016, 01:03 AM
No, but it was pretty good. The contest needs some star power. I guess the stars are afraid to get beat now a days...

ewing
02-14-2016, 01:17 AM
they all sucked.

shep33
02-14-2016, 01:20 AM
Lavine had some sick dunks himself. Although, I did like Gordon's dunks better overall.

That being said... Vince still ***** on everyone

Lakers + Giants
02-14-2016, 01:24 AM
any links? completely missed it. Any links for the full dunk contest?

R. Johnson#3
02-14-2016, 01:41 AM
Definitely the most entertaining dunk contest in years. Neither performance topped Vince in 2000 but the competition was better than I've ever seen.

AntiG
02-14-2016, 02:05 AM
hard to claim Gordon got robbed when Levine did a between the legs from foul line dunk. Absolutely insane.

t_money25
02-14-2016, 02:22 AM
It's definitely in the discussion

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2016, 02:28 AM
Yea lavines were sick but they were all very similar ... he did 3 or 4 free throw line dunks. Again not discrediting how impressive that is but it should not just be judged on dunks it should be judged on power,attempts, and creativity.... all or Gordons dunks were so different

Pple keep talking about the seat dunk (the highlight of the night) and the tomahawk/down low reverse

But his first dunk with STUFF spinning and him scooping it up with 1 hand then 360 slamming it all with 1 hand was just crazy

Shady66
02-14-2016, 02:37 AM
Yea lavines were sick but they were all very similar ... he did 3 or 4 free throw line dunks. Again not discrediting how impressive that is but it should not just be judged on dunks it should be judged on power,attempts, and creativity.... all or Gordons dunks were so different

Pple keep talking about the seat dunk (the highlight of the night) and the tomahawk/down low reverse

But his first dunk with STUFF spinning and him scooping it up with 1 hand then 360 slamming it all with 1 hand was just crazy
And with the karl malone tribute all in one dunm? Ridiculous. That was my favorite, followed by the fake tomahawk into a double clutch.

Sadds The Gr8
02-14-2016, 04:13 AM
best competition ever IMO. Vince was great but it was a 1 man show. This was great because it was 2 guys that were ****in awesome

Gander13SM
02-14-2016, 06:29 AM
Best one I've watched live (too young to have watched 'Nique V Jordan live, only saw the 90s stuff really).

In terms of individual performance I still have Vince. But that was the best dual I've ever seen.

rocketfuel
02-14-2016, 07:42 AM
That judging panel shouldn't be invited back next year.....ridiculous how inconsistent they were. They should have coaches judge the contest....or at least dunkers. How does the Mascot hoverboard 360 dunk handoff get a 9? Stupid.... that was the best dunk of the night.

I think it's because these 2 aren't household names and that's why they aren't getting as much deference. If their jersey had said Jordan and Dominique, we would be like it's the greatest ever. I saw the Jordan/Dominique duel... it was great, but not as creative as this one.

I've never seen a hoverbaord 360 dunk. Ever. And the other Mascot dunk was great too. Most dunks you've seen before because it's a variation of what some other guy. It's rare that you see one you go oh I've never even thought of that one. The Helicopter dunk from two decades ago and the 3 Mascot dunks by Gordon. Gordon was robbed.

eso
02-14-2016, 07:59 AM
any links? completely missed it. Any links for the full dunk contest?

You tube is your friend brother....

mike_noodles
Top 5, but not the best.

WOwolfOL
Dunks are really about 5 levels higher than they were in the Jordan/Nique contests but obviously those were otherworldly for the time. But really, just about every dunk done tonight was better than the best dunk of those contests.

mike_noodles
02-14-2016, 08:03 AM
That judging panel shouldn't be invited back next year.....ridiculous how inconsistent they were. They should have coaches judge the contest....or at least dunkers. How does the Mascot hoverboard 360 dunk handoff get a 9? Stupid.... that was the best dunk of the night.

I think it's because these 2 aren't household names and that's why they aren't getting as much deference. If their jersey had said Jordan and Dominique, we would be like it's the greatest ever. I saw the Jordan/Dominique duel... it was great, but not as creative as this one.

I've never seen a hoverbaord 360 dunk. Ever. And the other Mascot dunk was great too. Most dunks you've seen before because it's a variation of what some other guy. It's rare that you see one you go oh I've never even thought of that one. The Helicopter dunk from two decades ago and the 3 Mascot dunks by Gordon. Gordon was robbed.

Well, there should be a standard for judging. Some of those guys throw up a 10 for any dunk, leaving no room for better dunks to get better scores. I would say some years it doesn't really matter, but this year it did. 5/6 of Zach's dunks were given 50, that's just wrong.

Laker Legend42
02-14-2016, 08:29 AM
I think that was the best battle since Jordan v. Wilkins. I think Vince was the best individual performance. It was Vince...then everybody else. No one was touching that dude.

In years past there were a few dunks that were overlooked.

Gearld green blow out the candle dunk.

Gearld green dunk with no shoes

Dwight Howard's sticker dunk.

effen5
02-14-2016, 09:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6n5NE6Cb4

This dunk by Gordon is by far the best dunk I have ever seen.

effen5
02-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Well, there should be a standard for judging. Some of those guys throw up a 10 for any dunk, leaving no room for better dunks to get better scores. I would say some years it doesn't really matter, but this year it did. 5/6 of Zach's dunks were given 50, that's just wrong.

To be fair, a lot of those dunks by Zach are 50s. They have never been done before. Same with Aaron.

How many people in the world can do a windmill and through the legs dunk from the free throw line?

Same with the seat dunk by Gordon... it's just that these two are on a different level.

IndyRealist
02-14-2016, 10:10 AM
After sleeping on it I changed my mind. The dunks I saw last night, I would have said were impossible two days ago. Best dunk contest ever. If it were in the rules, they would have just stopped the competition after the seated dunk. Also note how LaVine and Gordon weren't missing dunks. That is a big part of why it was so amazing.

And Gordon should have jumped over the camera arm. That would have ended it.

rocketfuel
02-14-2016, 10:24 AM
When the contest first started with the first two dunkers, I was like oh no, not another ho hum year and was even thinking of starting a thread of "What the hell happened to the dunk contest?" I got my answer a few minutes later. I think I woke up when that mascot came in and Gordon did 3 spectacular dunks like he was making it up as he went along. This year's contest made those past ones like Nate Robinson and his 7 attempts per dunk look lame. All the ones in the past 10 years all just look ho hum in comparison.

If Vince Carter had done the Aaron Gordon hoverboard dunk, we would all automatically crown it the best dunk....but since it's some unknown guy Aaron Gordon, there's a hesitation to say it.... To time it as the Mascot circles around. Cup the ball in the air, scoop it up, slam it with one hand behind your head.... I had to rewind it many times just to make sure I got it all right because it went so fast.... By the way, that Mascot did an amazing job....he circled around with ease..... I hope Gordon comes back next year with more Mascot dunks. Maybe the mascot can juggle several balls, while twirling and Gordon scoops it and does a helicopter dunk.

rocketfuel
02-14-2016, 10:28 AM

Yeah, that was the problem.....they over-inflated Zach's scores and short changed Gordon. The first Mascot dunk, Shaq gave him a 9! In previous years, dunks a lot worse than that were getting 10's. Give me a break. Then, the panel short changes him on his last dunk where changes his mind mid-air and tomahawks it.... Zach's dunks might have been 10s compared to previous years...but I don't think they were better than the Mascot dunks. If Zach's were 50, then Gordon should have gotten a 55.

aman_13
02-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Best dunk contest I've ever seen.

aman_13
02-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Shaq was subtracting a point if the player didn't complete the dunk on the first time.

I guess he forgot that even Vince needed a couple tries to do the between the legs dunk.

D-Leethal
02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Gordon deserved another 50 for his last dunk - ESPECIALLY since it was completely improvised and he banged it first try. Judges felt obliged to make someone the winner IMO and after trading 50s were going to end the competition one way or another. Gordons front-back double tomahawk in slow motion was insane.

Gordon had the best dunk of the night - LaVine did everything he needed to do to answer with 50s. I still think Gordon was the aggressor and deserved the title last night - but LaVine nailed every counter punch he needed to and ended up winning it.

NYKalltheway
02-14-2016, 11:30 AM
It definitely has been the best in many years.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Best I've seen in my time but hard to say best ever .... there are legendary dunks from past contest, dunks we see now that are named or known from those whom did it first in the dunk contest.

Some of the stuff we saw last night is the same, stuff gordon and lavine have put there name on for nba history

DboneG
02-14-2016, 12:09 PM
The NBA are marketing geniuses...I was still waiting for Vince Carter to walk thru the tunnel and challenge the young guys. That would have been the best ever.

I'm sure there were two other guys that can dunk, that wanted to participate and not embarrass themselves like Andre Drummond and Will Barton did.

The NBA should allow those professional dunkers participate. Those You Tube dunkers...they are doing some things I NEVER seen before! 720 dunk, and all the rest. You seen them! Let them in!!

mike_noodles
02-14-2016, 12:17 PM
To be fair, a lot of those dunks by Zach are 50s. They have never been done before. Same with Aaron.

How many people in the world can do a windmill and through the legs dunk from the free throw line?

Same with the seat dunk by Gordon... it's just that these two are on a different level.

A couple were 50s sure, but not 5. One has to be better than the others, but by giving 50s for everything, there is no room left to separate a very good dunk to a mind blowing dunk. Get these old geezers off the panel and get some kids on there that aren't impressed as easily.

JeVo7
02-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Agree. It would have been more interest to find out the winner at the end if both of them were to swap dunks. Zach might be able to do what Aaron does, but I don't think Aaron can do the free throw lines.

CardinalRed24
02-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Wasn't the best but it deserves to be in the conversation.
Next year have Lavine vs Gordon vs Wiggins. That would be crazy.

JeVo7
02-14-2016, 12:49 PM
A couple were 50s sure, but not 5. One has to be better than the others, but by giving 50s for everything, there is no room left to separate a very good dunk to a mind blowing dunk. Get these old geezers off the panel and get some kids on there that aren't impressed as easily.

They probably want to see more plus how much longer can these 2 last. At the end, Zach sure get what he deserve. As a Timberwolves fan, I can see that in the offseason, Zach went into dunking more then trying to improve his shooting.

ManningToTyree
02-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Most entertaining contest since Vince. I was standing in awe after every dunk in that final round last night. They did things that I wasn't sure we're physically possible.

KobeOwnSU
02-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I think Aaron Gordon's two dunks were beautiful but you guys are severely underestimating Zachs dunks. I mean he just caught an alley oop, windmilled, and went between the legs from the freethrow line!! And he only missed one dunk. That's just absurd.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-14-2016, 01:36 PM

This x100 needs to be voted by fans again.

Also someone mention how different these 2 dunkers style was and its so true. Notice every dunk Lavine did was off a 1,2 step but all of Gordon's were off hop steps.

Sly Guy
02-14-2016, 01:38 PM
might be up there for the best competition.....best performance still goes to vince.

That was really fun to watch last night, one guy impressive off one foot, the other guy impressive off two. They run out of dunks and no one can decide so they keep going, that's pretty awesome. Glad to see the dunk contest in good form.

blahblahyoutoo
02-14-2016, 02:11 PM
No, but it was pretty good. The contest needs some star power. I guess the stars are afraid to get beat now a days...

curry participated and was gracious in the loss.

KnicksorBust
02-14-2016, 02:58 PM

This x100 needs to be voted by fans again.

Also someone mention how different these 2 dunkers style was and its so true. Notice every dunk Lavine did was off a 1,2 step but all of Gordon's were off hop steps.

It is funny bc if we had fan voting in the last round we wouldn't have had that epic dunk for dunk showdown. In a way the flawed judging created the best possible dunk contest this yeae. :)

5ass
02-14-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm just glad Gordon got some exposure. Started off with Ernie calling him Alex Gordon and Chuck referred to him as Ben Gordon. Now everyone will know who Aaron Gordon is. Hopefully it doesn't give them the idea that he's just a dunker though. AG and Mario are about to put the Magic back on the map. Both the type of players that can be very popular among fans.

TheNumber37
02-14-2016, 03:44 PM
top 5

Probably top 3 Duels

More importantly, the best contest since Vince Carter including last year

Teeboy1487
02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Best dunk contest duel I've seen in my lifetime. I knew Aaron would give Lavine a match. Kudos to both guys. Just insane athleticism.

aman_13
02-14-2016, 05:13 PM
I don't think Lavine does it again next yr. He should just go out on top and it's really hard to be innovative three yrs in a row.

Gordon should definitely come back.

Bruno
02-14-2016, 05:21 PM
best all star saturday since 2000. arguably the best ever because the three point shootout had elite players who put on a great show as well. towns was great. yesterday was amazing. it was the best dunk competition since MJ/Dominique.

https://streamable.com/7dyb

mike_noodles
02-14-2016, 06:14 PM
It is funny bc if we had fan voting in the last round we wouldn't have had that epic dunk for dunk showdown. In a way the flawed judging created the best possible dunk contest this yeae. :)

I wouldn't let the fans vote, because they're stupid, lol. They vote for favorite player, coolest costume, best prop, etc. The fans have had the vote and they screwed it up too.

mrblisterdundee
02-14-2016, 06:34 PM

Stars are nice, but there has to be some crossover. LeBron James would not do as well now as he would have even five years ago. Russell Westbrook would still be pretty awesome.
I'd be more interested in an intrasquad rivalry than in star power. How awesome would it have been to have Andrew Wiggins vs. Zach LaVine?

5ass
02-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Stars are nice, but there has to be some crossover. LeBron James would not do as well now as he would have even five years ago. Russell Westbrook would still be pretty awesome.
I'd be more interested in an intrasquad rivalry than in star power. How awesome would it have been to have Andrew Wiggins vs. Zach LaVine?

How awesome would it be if it was a team competition? Example Magic vs wolves would be Gordon+Mario/Oladipo vs Wiggins+Lavine