PDA

View Full Version : How do you drill

ewing
02-12-2016, 06:59 PM
OK i have been playing 1 or 2 nights a week of late. I plan on keeping it and need to get my game back up. I have about an hour I can take to drill by myself at lunch. So my question is how to do you guys drill?

Hawkeye15
02-12-2016, 07:01 PM
drill? Like, skills practice?

ewing
02-12-2016, 07:09 PM

hey homie i haven't drilled since i was like 19

Lakers + Giants
02-12-2016, 08:34 PM

I was gonna ask the same ****. Wasn't sure if this was a troll thread asking about sex positions lmfao.

lakerfan85
02-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Well, I go to my tool box and grab my Black and Decker drill pop in the drill bit I need and bam!! I'm drilling in no time..

ewing
02-12-2016, 08:47 PM
I was gonna ask the same ****. Wasn't sure if this was a troll thread asking about sex positions lmfao.

:laugh:

Lakers + Giants
02-12-2016, 08:54 PM
:laugh:

hey homie i haven't drilled since i was like 19

^ that still had me wondering if you were trolling or not.

Corey
02-12-2016, 09:55 PM
If you're just working on basic skills to get back in the game, you dont need to go above and beyond.

Basically dribbling drills can be done pretty much anywhere, even in the house. Youtube it.

As far as other skills, figure out what you need to improve most first. Repetition and muscle memory is the key to getting above average. Just keep shooting. Focus on your mechanics. Make or miss, regardless, work on your form and keep your **** tight on every release. No elbow out, dont use your hold hand to influence the flight of the ball. Flick of the wrist.

Theres a lot of basic things you can do. Warm up with cardio, free throws to get your form right, and start shooting from different areas of the court. 10 shots each from different spots around the arc....back to the free throw line so your body gets your form right again....Practice shooting off the dribble. Start on the right side, two dribbles in, dribble move into the pullup. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

If you dont have access to a gun machine or dont have anyone to rebound for you, get your own rebounds, take a dribble move off the rebound, turn and shoot. Just get comfortable from everywhere.

Jump rope to get foot speed up, keep your cardio up...being able to have stamina and keep your legs and shot form are really important as far as offense and staying in front of your man on D.

Its all repetition.

ewing
02-12-2016, 10:42 PM
^ that still had me wondering if you were trolling or not.

i'm not and i do know how work on my game. I was just curious what people do as i have been out of it for a while. Granted its not top comp but right now i am the best or close to best player at the gym i go to once i get totally winded. for some reason exhausting is what brings it together right now :shrug:

IBleedPurple
02-13-2016, 03:50 AM
Practice? We talkin bout practice?

murphturph
02-13-2016, 03:54 AM
i'm not and i do know how work on my game. I was just curious what people do as i have been out of it for a while. Granted its not top comp but right now i am the best or close to best player at the gym i go to once i get totally winded. for some reason exhausting is what brings it together right now :shrug:

Hey man, I've been a basketball coach every summer the past 5 summers. My biggest advice is working on your handles regardless of your height or position( unless you are actually a back to the basket big-man). Make sure you can make a left handed lay up consistently. Practice dribbling with your left hand more than your right. Playing pick up basketball will not drastically improve your game.

Dribble around your gym with the basketball while you're moving. You should never EVER have your legs straight while you dribble. Back relatively straight, and butt down low to the ground. The lower you can dribble with the ball (I.E ball close to the ground, as well as your shoulders and knees and butt) the easier it will be for you to get by your opponent. Think of Lebron for a second, the minute he gets his shoulder below his defenders he can burst by him and get his whole body in front of him (and lebron being the animal he is can elevate and finish on or through anyone)

When you practice dribbling don't take it lightly. Pound that ball into the ground. All ways keep your head up.

Also form shooting is VASTLY underrated. I rarely see people working on their form. Get close to the net and shoot with just one arm (while you do this, do not jump or bend your knees, strictly focus on that flick up the wrist and generating back spin. hold form. repeat). Try to get 10 perfect swishes in a row without the ball even touching the rim.

Lastly, during pick up games try out skills that you have practiced. Don't play reserved. Play aggressive. Play like you mean it. If you mess up GOOD! It means you tried hard. If you practice and your not messing up, then you are not trying hard enough.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Don't give up homie. Hope this helped. And when you get stressed out, remember why you play and love the game
Murph

KnicksorBust
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Hey man, I've been a basketball coach every summer the past 5 summers. My biggest advice is working on your handles regardless of your height or position( unless you are actually a back to the basket big-man). Make sure you can make a left handed lay up consistently. Practice dribbling with your left hand more than your right. Playing pick up basketball will not drastically improve your game.

Dribble around your gym with the basketball while you're moving. You should never EVER have your legs straight while you dribble. Back relatively straight, and butt down low to the ground. The lower you can dribble with the ball (I.E ball close to the ground, as well as your shoulders and knees and butt) the easier it will be for you to get by your opponent. Think of Lebron for a second, the minute he gets his shoulder below his defenders he can burst by him and get his whole body in front of him (and lebron being the animal he is can elevate and finish on or through anyone)

When you practice dribbling don't take it lightly. Pound that ball into the ground. All ways keep your head up.

Also form shooting is VASTLY underrated. I rarely see people working on their form. Get close to the net and shoot with just one arm (while you do this, do not jump or bend your knees, strictly focus on that flick up the wrist and generating back spin. hold form. repeat). Try to get 10 perfect swishes in a row without the ball even touching the rim.

Lastly, during pick up games try out skills that you have practiced. Don't play reserved. Play aggressive. Play like you mean it. If you mess up GOOD! It means you tried hard. If you practice and your not messing up, then you are not trying hard enough.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Don't give up homie. Hope this helped. And when you get stressed out, remember why you play and love the game
Murph

If you are practicing by yourself Murph is completely right. It is all about the basics and reps.

I agrew form shooting is drastically underrated. I always tell my team your shot should (especially FT) should never be left or right. Only long or short. Otherwise that means your form is broken.

Form shooting , two ball dribbling low to the ground with your head up, and Mikan drill. Sadly that and just working on your endurance would make so many high school players infinitely better. You can improve your endurance by trying different sexual positions.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 12:06 AM
I always start with a disciplined dribble. Work both hands doing every type of dribble i can think of standing still. Then I freestyle dribble walking the halfcourt line. Mix it up pretending i have a defender in front of me. Using different moves.

Then i work layups both hands, reverses both hands, floaters both hands.

Then i usually take mid range jumpshots to start to get a good flow in my legs cause i dont jump much on my jumpshot. Once i start nailing mid range jumpers ill move out to the three do the same thing once i start nailing threes i move to the line and depending how much time i have shoot a certain amount of free throws trying to get above 80%.

After that ill just shoot around freestyle take my steph curry shots aha.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 12:19 AM
If you are practicing by yourself Murph is completely right. It is all about the basics and reps.

I agrew form shooting is drastically underrated. I always tell my team your shot should (especially FT) should never be left or right. Only long or short. Otherwise that means your form is broken.

Form shooting , two ball dribbling low to the ground with your head up, and Mikan drill. Sadly that and just working on your endurance would make so many high school players infinitely better. You can improve your endurance by trying different sexual positions.

I agree with this. 5 or 6 months ago i switched up my form and generally if i get a good release my shot is usually long or short on misses. I dont get height on my shot when i jump but i try and get it off quick and get good backspin on the ball. I noticed when you get backspin the ball travels allot further in the air with less effort. I also try and get arc cause it opens up the angle of the rim and makes it a larger diameter when you do that. It was the most frustrating thing i probably ever did cause basketball is my passion and switching up your form is not easy you question it when your having bad days etc but where im at now its well worth it

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 12:21 AM
To me the most important part of basketball is being a able to dribble. Im 5'9 5'10 tho thats probably why but it opens up your game allot. You can make plays for others get to the rim create your own shot. Plus you get to bring the ball up which is something i take pride in. Also dont be selfish move the ball youll get your shots be a team player

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 12:24 AM
This is silly. If you're talkin rec/pickup ball just go play. The hasn't changed much since your 20th birthday.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 12:27 AM

Murph

Its funny i just read this and we basically said the same things. Also having the right frame of mind when you step on the court. Theres a mentality that i have everytime i step on the floor.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 12:27 AM
This is silly. If you're talkin rec/pickup ball just go play. The hasn't changed much since your 20th birthday.

You dont get better in games you get better in practice. Scrub

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 02:58 AM
You dont get better in games you get better in practice. Scrub

Anybody that's talking about practicing just to go get a run in at the local gym or someone giving pointers is the scrub.....scrub.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 03:47 AM
Anybody that's talking about practicing just to go get a run in at the local gym or someone giving pointers is the scrub.....scrub.

Because i try and be the best player i can im a scrub? If im a scrub why do people tell me i remind them of the proffesor or tell me i should try and play overseas. Its a known fact people who can ball know you dont get better in games. Dude asked how we practice to get better and i told him how i do it why are you hating? I think cause you cant ball..scrub

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 03:49 AM
To the op. Just make sure you can dribble, work on shooting with a nice form, be able to use both hands, and practice like someone is guarding you make it hard on yourself in practice

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 04:51 AM
Because i try and be the best player i can im a scrub? If im a scrub why do people tell me i remind them of the proffesor or tell me i should try and play overseas. Its a known fact people who can ball know you dont get better in games. Dude asked how we practice to get better and i told him how i do it why are you hating? I think cause you cant ball..scrub
Not hating. But if the goal is recreational play you're not that serious and just because someone says you remind them of the professor doesn't mean you're not a scrub. I couldn't say wether you're a scrub or not. You started that. Oh, for the the record. You can get better in games. Especially in pick,up games. You can work on all kinds of things. But if pick games are the end goal forget it. It's just a workout.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 04:55 AM
We just got different pov

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Murph
I'm sensing a bit of plagiarisim here. Didn't Michael Jordan say these exact words?

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 05:00 AM
And you dont get better in games. If you cant use your left you wont use it in a game. If you cant shoot you wont make shots in a game, if you cant dribble you'll get the ball stolen in a game. You practice on your own and take that into a game. You think kobe was just like ima post up and take a fade away jumper and see what happens? Na he took that shot so many times practicing he knew he could make it.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 05:01 AM
[/B]
I'm sensing a bit of plagiarisim here. Didn't Michael Jordan say these exact words?

Thats why its in quotes

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 05:03 AM
We just got different pov

Hey. Don't let me be a dream killer. If you're that good take your talents overseas. Hell. If you're that good come to la. We can use all the help we can get. Don't waste away in some old gym. You only get two knees. Once they go it's over.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Thats why its in quotes
He ends it with his name. As if he said it.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 05:10 AM
Technically its plagiarism i think but ya its a mj quote. And honestly nba is a pipe dream i just wanna get my foot in the door somewhere and go from there

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Technically its plagiarism i think but ya its a mj quote. And honestly nba is a pipe dream i just wanna get my foot in the door somewhere and go from there
Do you have an agent? That would still be step one. They can get you into some tournaments with other guys trying to go overseas.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Na ive been doing all that stuff on my own. Im 20 right now turn 21 in late march i plan on going to open tryouts for the canadian basketball league this year. The santa cruz warriors (d league) hold open tryouts i plan on going this year. Like i said i went through a phase where i changed my.jumpshot and it wasn't easy at all but i figured if i ever wanted to play professionally i needed to do it. Took 6 months but i finally feel like i got it.

murphturph
02-16-2016, 11:48 AM
He ends it with his name. As if he said it.

Haha yeup thats my famous quote right there :p .. haha forgot to credit the GOAT

Tony_Starks
02-16-2016, 12:21 PM
murph knows what he's talking about.

I would add to that a simple drill of flipping the ball about 1 to 2 feet in front of you, and catching it off the bounce and shooting. Making sure that when you catch you're instantly going in to form and a straight up and down jumper. Not floating forward or backward, just catch square up shoot.

Do that all over the court, mid range first then moving out being the 3.

Once you've mastered that the next step is grabbing the bounce and adding headfake, escape dribble shot or catch jab step shot.

Those drills will give you a cold cold midrange game.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Na ive been doing all that stuff on my own. Im 20 right now turn 21 in late march i plan on going to open tryouts for the canadian basketball league this year. The santa cruz warriors (d league) hold open tryouts i plan on going this year. Like i said i went through a phase where i changed my.jumpshot and it wasn't easy at all but i figured if i ever wanted to play professionally i needed to do it. Took 6 months but i finally feel like i got it.did you play any college ball? I know someone who went through this process. Got really close to being picked up but tore his ankle up. I mean really tore his ankle up during on of their practices. Wake up. Dream over.

Laker Legend42
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Haha yeup thats my famous quote right there :p .. haha forgot to credit the GOAT

I'm glad you could have fun with what I said. It was all in fun.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 12:29 PM

I agree with the ball handling and shooting descriptions Murph, and you said.

But if you aren't in fantastic shape, none of it matters, unless you just want to get out there and lazy it up old man style. Pitino's old Kentucky teams used to do a drill, where you go back and forth 16 times, right, left, layup, go. As fast as possible. That is a great drill for anyone, and you have to go all out.

Hawkeye15
02-16-2016, 12:30 PM

I would add to that a simple drill of flipping the ball about 1 to 2 feet in front of you, and catching it off the bounce and shooting. Making sure that when you catch you're instantly going in to form and a straight up and down jumper. Not floating forward or backward, just catch square up shoot. Do that all over the court, mid range first then moving out being the 3.

Once you've mastered that the next step is grabbing the bounce and adding headfake, escape dribble shot or catch jab step shot.

Yep, and you can incorporate shot fakes and drives from this. But if you don't have a partner, you need to use the flip to get you used to catching and doing something positive in stride.

Tony_Starks
02-16-2016, 01:26 PM

I would add to that a simple drill of flipping the ball about 1 to 2 feet in front of you, and catching it off the bounce and shooting. Making sure that when you catch you're instantly going in to form and a straight up and down jumper. Not floating forward or backward, just catch square up shoot. Do that all over the court, mid range first then moving out being the 3.

Yep, and you can incorporate shot fakes and drives from this. But if you don't have a partner, you need to use the flip to get you used to catching and doing something positive in stride.

Yessir. Used to practice with the squad at the JC I went to back in the day and that's the one drill I always took with me.

It's effective because it's easy to translate to a actual game.

Monta is beast
02-16-2016, 05:41 PM
did you play any college ball? I know someone who went through this process. Got really close to being picked up but tore his ankle up. I mean really tore his ankle up during on of their practices. Wake up. Dream over.

Are you sure your not talking about me haha. Na i didnt play college ball i never took school serious enough and was stupid back then. I tore my ankle up bad 3 years ago i quite playing ball for almost a full year. Came back and the game was different. Before the injury i felt like i dictated where people on the court would go i would see things ahead of time after the injury everything was mechanical for me. Took a while to get past that. Then once i got passed that i changed my form on my jumpshot which was another frusturating experience. But i got past that. Ive been balling for two months now with no hesitations on the court and im starting to see the game the way i did before if not better. Ive always been a really good passer, before i was an attacking type of player always trying to get to the rim but that injury kinda forced me to change my game. I still go to the rim cause i know how to finish with English using both hands over or around people etc but thats probably the next hurdle i need to get over. The doc who did he surgery on my ankle came through for me tho

Chronz
02-16-2016, 07:55 PM
My 24 has 1 full court court and 2 half courts that run across it, I like to set up shot where they intersect on the wings and just shoot non-stop. Like Ill shoot at one side, it'll bounce back to me (if my form is consistent) and Ill shoot at the other and Ill get up hundreds of shots without a ball boy helping me. Aside from that I just dribble with my left till it gets heavy. Being in shape is prolly the most important thing tho. Losing weight will help me more than honing any 1 skill IMO.

Hawkeye15
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
My 24 has 1 full court court and 2 half courts that run across it, I like to set up shot where they intersect on the wings and just shoot non-stop. Like Ill shoot at one side, it'll bounce back to me (if my form is consistent) and Ill shoot at the other and Ill get up hundreds of shots without a ball boy helping me. Aside from that I just dribble with my left till it gets heavy. Being in shape is prolly the most important thing tho. Losing weight will help me more than honing any 1 skill IMO.

yep. Exactly what I said above. If you aren't in great shape, every single thing is limited greatly.