PDA

View Full Version : Why in the hell are the Knicks so reluctant to move Anthony ?

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 03:06 PM
I just don't understand what the hell they are doing. If some non Knick fans would chime in I'd really appreciate it. What exactly are they holding onto ? I understand he has a no movement clause and is saying the right things, but you know damn well he would waive it for the right situation (Heat, Bulls, Clippers).

Is it a situation where Dolan is driving the car and told Phil he is the only draw and therefor off limits ? I could understand if he was 25 years old and entering his prime, but at this rate he will be washed up by the time they can field a true competitor.

As a Knicks fan I simply don't get it. We finally have some semblance of an NBA roster including a talented rookie in Porzingis. But its clearly not good enough now and adding someone in free agency like Conley will at best get them a bottom seed in the East next year.

The only way the Knicks can ever hope to be a true competitor in the next 2-3 years is to get back some young players, a 2016 pick, and implement a system with everyone buying in.

Am I overreacting here ? Or are you guys as puzzled as I am about the whole thing.

NYJ - NYY
02-12-2016, 03:22 PM
No trade clause

xxplayerxx23
02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Real simple he has a no trade clause and doesn't want to leave. Close the thread

Scoots
02-12-2016, 03:30 PM
They think they are going to win a title :)

The real question is why did they sign him to this contract?

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Real simple he has a no trade clause and doesn't want to leave. Close the thread

You are out of your mind if you think the NTC is holding them back from moving Anthony. He would give his left nut to be traded to a contender at this point in his career. If you are buying into his "I want to win as a Knick" spiel then sorry, but he is just saying the right things to keep the fans on his side. He re-signed in NY because they could offer 20+ million more than anyone else.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 03:32 PM
You are out of your mind if you think the NTC is holding them back from moving Anthony. He would give his left nut to be traded to a contender at this point in his career. If you are buying into his "I want to win as a Knick" spiel then sorry, but he is just saying the right things to keep the fans on his side. He re-signed in NY because they could offer 20+ million more than anyone else.

You're filling in blanks that aren't there.

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 03:33 PM
They think they are going to win a title :)

The real question is why did they sign him to this contract?

I was highly against them doing so and was flamed for saying it.

NY is a double edged sword. So as long as the team is making money and drawing fans, things are ok from a front office standpoint. If they traded Anthony, they know some fans would be up in arms and the team would even be less competitive. I think that is where the reluctance comes from but it is so short sighted.

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
You're filling in blanks that aren't there.

I mean maybe so, but it isn't a huge stretch. He could/should have signed with the Bulls. He even (after re-signing with the Knicks) praised the Bulls up and down. What was the difference ? $$$$$

xxplayerxx23
02-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Knicks would trade him. He has a ntc he controls the power Knicks don't. He's said it MAny times he doesn't want to be traded. We aren't trading him for crap so yeah there lies the problem. I'm glad you know what he would do to get of the Knicks team. Yet he's said different over 20 times. He signed with the Knicks for money sure doesn't mean he wants to leave.

ewing
02-12-2016, 03:36 PM
trade him for a head of broccoli

xxplayerxx23
02-12-2016, 03:37 PM
I mean maybe so, but it isn't a huge stretch. He could/should have signed with the Bulls. He even (after re-signing with the Knicks) praised the Bulls up and down. What was the difference ? $$$$$

60 ****ing million dollars lol

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 03:38 PM

He has said the difference, which included things like believing in Phil and wanting to win in NY. If you choose not to believe the things he has said over and over again, that's your prerogative. He's clearly all in on the system and effort, don't know what there is to question about him wanting to be here and win for this team.

Carmelo Anthony is the least of the Knicks problems.

ewing
02-12-2016, 03:43 PM
I just don't understand what the hell they are doing. If some non Knick fans would chime in I'd really appreciate it. What exactly are they holding onto ? I understand he has a no movement clause and is saying the right things, but you know damn well he would waive it for the right situation (Heat, Bulls, Clippers).

Is it a situation where Dolan is driving the car and told Phil he is the only draw and therefor off limits ? I could understand if he was 25 years old and entering his prime, but at this rate he will be washed up by the time they can field a true competitor.

As a Knicks fan I simply don't get it. We finally have some semblance of an NBA roster including a talented rookie in Porzingis. But its clearly not good enough now and adding someone in free agency like Conley will at best get them a bottom seed in the East next year.

The only way the Knicks can ever hope to be a true competitor in the next 2-3 years is to get back some young players, a 2016 pick, and implement a system with everyone buying in.

Am I overreacting here ? Or are you guys as puzzled as I am about the whole thing.

I don't see why you are puzzled at all. What offers do you think the Knicks are getting?

Ball_Out
02-12-2016, 03:48 PM
He has said the difference, which included things like believing in Phil and wanting to win in NY. If you choose not to believe the things he has said over and over again, that's your prerogative. He's clearly all in on the system and effort, don't know what there is to question about him wanting to be here and win for this team.

Carmelo Anthony is the least of the Knicks problems.
Agree with this. People just hate him around here, so it really doesn't matter what he does or says.

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm sure Carmelo Anthony would be alright getting shipped to a contender, and it would help New York too. I think a team like Memphis or Chicago could benefit from his skillset.
How about something like Joakim Noah's expiring contract, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott for Anthony and Cleanthony Early? The Bulls get a new top scorer to go with their above-average defense, along with a young forward prospect. The Knicks get $13 million more off the books this summer, along with a couple solid young forward prospects.
Memphis would be a great fit, but they don't have much to trade that the Knicks should want.

Ball_Out
02-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Clippers are the best fit if you ask me. Trade him for Blake and pieces. Porzingas and Blake would be cool. Clips get better by adding the best wing scorer in the game.

JAZZNC
02-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Clippers are the best fit if you ask me. Trade him for Blake and pieces. Porzingas and Blake would be cool. Clips get better by adding the best wing scorer in the game.
Porzingis and Blake is a terrible fit. Neither is a center. Just wouldn't work IMO. I don't understand why people keep bringing that up as a possibility. And Melo is far from the best wing scorer in the league. There is this dude named Durant in case you have forgotten.

Ball_Out
02-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Porzingis and Blake is a terrible fit. Neither is a center. Just wouldn't work IMO. I don't understand why people keep bringing that up as a possibility. And Melo is far from the best wing scorer in the league. There is this dude named Durant in case you have forgotten.
Porzingas could play the five, he's 7'1. And thank you for introducing me to this "Durant" guy, I'll look him up and see if I change my opinion.

yungincome
02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
No. Trade. Clause.

xxplayerxx23
02-12-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm sure Carmelo Anthony would be alright getting shipped to a contender, and it would help New York too. I think a team like Memphis or Chicago could benefit from his skillset.
How about something like Joakim Noah's expiring contract, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott for Anthony and Cleanthony Early? The Bulls get a new top scorer to go with their above-average defense, along with a young forward prospect. The Knicks get $13 million more off the books this summer, along with a couple solid young forward prospects.
Memphis would be a great fit, but they don't have much to trade that the Knicks should want.

Yes I would do that Bulls package, yes I'm sure Melo wouldn't mind moving but who says that's ganna be an offer they get? Or whose to say Melo would def wanna go? He might want to try and stick it out. If the Knicks failed this summer and sucked next year then yeah I'm sure this time next year Melo would ask out rightfully so

xxplayerxx23
02-12-2016, 04:22 PM

While he's not the best I wouldn't go with far away from being best. He's a top 5 wing in terms of scoring

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I don't see why you are puzzled at all. What offers do you think the Knicks are getting?

Who said the Knicks can't be the one to initiate the talks ?

I'm sure if Phil sat Anthony down and said look, we can trade you to Chicago for Mirotic/Noah/1st would you agree to go there ? You'd get to play on an instant contender who would be a shoe in to make it to the ECF and we get a good young player, cap space, and a pick.

Then the Knicks could implement a true system in the off season with the proper hire. Go after some quality (not all star) free agents with their ample cap space, and field a team like this:

Conley
Afflalo
Batum
Porzingis
Lopez

Mirotec
Calderon
Galloway
Noah (re-sign)
Grant
O'Quinn
Draft Pick
Williams

Laker Legend42
02-12-2016, 04:25 PM
When people bring up trades they always look at it from one side. Besides the no trad clause,which contender will be willing to move at least three players to match the salary of a guy who's not in the best of health? If we're talking contenders no one is gonna be quick to possibly include maybe a key bench guy in a trade. Think about what the Knicks had to give up to get him.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 04:30 PM

That trade is so bad...

Why would anyone trade Melo for two players destined to be career backups and an expiring contract?

Cap space means nothing if no good FA wants it. The Knicks will have $30M of cap space this summer with Melo.

Also, Memphis and Chicago are not contenders and both have huge injuries with Marc Gasol and Jimmy Butler right now.

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 04:31 PM
When people bring up trades they always look at it from one side. Besides the no trad clause,which contender will be willing to move at least three players to match the salary of a guy who's not in the best of health? If we're talking contenders no one is gonna be quick to possibly include maybe a key bench guy in a trade. Think about what the Knicks had to give up to get him.

Noah/Mirotic/Moore/1st for Anthony/Seraphin

Rose
Butler
Anthony
Gibson
Gasol

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Who said the Knicks can't be the one to initiate the talks ?

I'm sure if Phil sat Anthony down and said look, we can trade you to Chicago for Mirotic/Noah/1st would you agree to go there ? You'd get to play on an instant contender who would be a shoe in to make it to the ECF and we get a good young player, cap space, and a pick.

Then the Knicks could implement a true system in the off season with the proper hire. Go after some quality (not all star) free agents with their ample cap space, and field a team like this:

Conley
Afflalo
Batum
Porzingis
Lopez

Mirotec
Calderon
Galloway
Noah (re-sign)
Grant
O'Quinn
Draft Pick
Williams

That value for Melo is horrible. Not to mention that trading Melo to an "instant contender" who would apparently be a shoe in for the ECF also means that the value of that draft pick is garbage. Melo and Batum/Conley is a far better duo than having both of them. If Afflalo is the Knicks starting SG next year, I'll throw up.

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 04:41 PM
That value for Melo is horrible. Not to mention that trading Melo to an "instant contender" who would apparently would be a shoe in for the ECF also means that the value of that draft pick is garbage. Melo and Batum/Conley is a far better duo than having both of them. If Afflalo is the Knicks starting SG next year, I'll throw up.

You can't compare what the Knicks gave up for Melo to what they will get in return at this point in his career.

He is turning 32 years old this season, struggles to stay healthy, and will count 25 million against the cap for the next three and a half years.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 04:58 PM
You can't compare what the Knicks gave up for Melo to what they will get in return at this point in his career.

He is turning 32 years old this season, struggles to stay healthy, and will count 25 million against the cap for the next three and a half years.

I'm not, I'm looking at a deal for a career backup, an expiring contract on a 30-year old completely broken down from injuries and a likely late first for someone who is still one of the best players in the NBA. Melo's deal is a very good value the new cap. Mike Conley's max next year will start at $25M, and he's not nearly as good as Melo.

FriedTofuz
02-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Knicks know if they trade melo their team will be more trash and lose their draft pick to the raptors anyways. Why would they want a division rival to flourish and lose their pick? Might as well lose a late lotto pick and keep melo a bit longer when he might be more tradable.

Chronz
02-12-2016, 06:24 PM

Blake AND pieces for an old Melo? Best wing scorer? Too much madness. Clips wouldn't trade even if this was peak Melo.

Ball_Out
02-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Blake AND pieces for an old Melo? Best wing scorer? Too much madness. Clips wouldn't trade even if this was peak Melo.
Well good, that's why the Clippers are who they are. Paul and Melo would be a nice compliment to each other. And I see that people really hate Melo here, he is ARGUABLY the best wing player in the game. If you like Durant, fine, I won't argue with you. I like Melo

Dade County
02-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Only team I see him going to is the HEAT.

But Knick fans don't want to hear that. I'm not even going to write my trade, been there done that.

NYKalltheway
02-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Why would the Knicks want to trade Melo away? He's the most important player on the team. Sending him away mans the franchise will simply follow Philly's steps.

Da Knicks
02-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Well good, that's why the Clippers are who they are. Paul and Melo would be a nice compliment to each other. And I see that people really hate Melo here, he is ARGUABLY the best wing player in the game. If you like Durant, fine, I won't argue with you. I like Melo

This, clippers need to blow it up and I don't want Blake at all.

GiantsSwaGG
02-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Melo has 3 yrs left tops of being a top scorer, if I'm Boston if trade for Melo

Celtics : Melo
Knicks : Smart, Sully, Crowder and a 1st (not Bk 1st)

That's fair package imo

PG - Thomas
SG - Bradley
SF - Melo
PF - Johnson
C - Zeller

With Stevens (best coach in the east) that team can contend for a title

TheNumber37
02-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Melo's contract is not that bad.
Based on what people have signed for since (Lillard, Jackson).

KD, Russ and Lebron have yet to sign their long term deals, Which will surely be 24mil a year plus.

jerellh528
02-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Maybe send him to Cleveland?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/698330964079091713?s=09

ewing
02-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Melo has 3 yrs left tops of being a top scorer, if I'm Boston if trade for Melo

Celtics : Melo
Knicks : Smart, Sully, Crowder and a 1st (not Bk 1st)

That's fair package imo

PG - Thomas
SG - Bradley
SF - Melo
PF - Johnson
C - Zeller

With Stevens (best coach in the east) that team can contend for a title

thats pretty interesting. based on Phil comments i don't he is as against it as the OP thinks. I do think he would want a haul though. Phil seems very patient.

mudvayne387
02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Why would the Knicks want to trade Melo away? He's the most important player on the team. Sending him away mans the franchise will simply follow Philly's steps.

And what has he done for them ? What is the benefit of having an elite scorer on this team ? High profile free agents arent lining up to come play with him, so what Is the point of it all ?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Because they know there's no point in trying to trade him.

Wade n Fade
02-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Cleveland wants to get tougher and have more production than what Kevin Love gives, right? Melo isn't what the type of player they need. Sure, he can play the 4 and rebound well while spacing the floor, but he is not that post player the definitely need. The Cavs ought to look to see if the Clips would trade Griffin to them in a deal for Love. Maybe Love and JR Smith for Griffin and J-Crawford could be the building blocks for a potential blockbuster trade?

D-Leethal
02-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Cleveland is the only team in the NBA I think Melo would waive his NTC and leave NYC for. His family could stay in NY, he would be a very short flight away and he would go to a team thats a shoe-inn for the finals with his three amigos.

D-Leethal
02-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Melo is not waiving his NTC to go to Boston. He wouldn't even consider that.

Wade n Fade
02-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Cleveland is the only team in the NBA I think Melo would waive his NTC and leave NYC for. His family could stay in NY, he would be a very short flight away and he would go to a team thats a shoe-inn for the finals with his three amigos.

Not at all. OKC would be another team. Ibaka, Kanter, Payne are some pieces that the Knicks could take back. Something like a first, Kanter, Waiters, Singler, and McGary for Melo would work. Westbrook, Durant, and Melo would be a terrible "Big Three," but it is something he could explore.

GSW could trade for Melo. Harrison Barnes or Iggy + assets + picks = Melo in the bay area. It makes no sense to bring in a ball stopper like Melo, but let's not say just Cleveland is the only spot for Melo.

mudvayne387
02-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Teams I think he'd waive his NTC for:

Cavaliers
Bulls
Thunder
Clippers
Heat
Rockets

Players Knicks could target from those teams:

Love
Mirotec/Noah
Ibaka
Griffin
Whiteside/Dragic
Howard

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Maybe Miami and small chance at LAC if he could get there with Griffin staying. I don't think you guys understand Melo - he isn't going to up and move his family like that. He made a commitment to NYC that was bigger than basketball so if he goes anywhere its going to be close to NY and it is going to be a ready made contender with his amigos. He isn't leaving unless its a ready made finals team close to NY and Cleveland is the only one that fits the bill. LeBron is like his NBA soulmate and JR and Shump are his little brothers. It makes too much sense.

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 12:32 AM
If Melo gets traded you better believe it was Phil approaching Melo with the trade and not vice versa. Melo doesn't want to leave NY but Cleveland is probably an opportunity and perfect scenario he just wouldn't pass up.

FOXHOUND
02-13-2016, 12:36 AM
These new comments are interesting, but clearly nothing would be in the works until the offseason. And I think it only becomes a real conversation if Phil strikes out in FA/fails to bring in a coach that he respects.

Pistol_Pete
02-13-2016, 02:17 AM
They won't trade him because Dolan doesn't want to. That's my opinion. Dolan locks onto guys and I think he feels that Carmelo is still a top player in the NBA who can be the center piece of a championship team. He's not. He's just not that player. And he's just not a guy who fits in New York. I also think does has the mindset of "we gave up X for this, so that's what we'd need back" not counting in his age, injuries and cap cost.

They could care less if he's a draw. The Knicks have sold out MSG for decades while being a terrible team with little or no stars and/or playing basketball. People will buy tickets. That's not a reason.

As for the no-trade-clause, sure, I bet that factor in a bit. If you can't get back anything of value from the limited options, there's no point in really even taking a serious look at this. Plus, we've heard in the past that Carmelo's wide wants to be in NY. Maybe he just likes being in a stable family situation where his family wants to be.

But, like I said, I really think it's because Dolan doesn't want to. And as long as Dolan is the owner, this is how the Knicks will be. Honestly, Carmelo should never have left the Nuggets.

goingfor28
02-13-2016, 02:29 AM
Melo for Blake AND pieces? Clippers would hang up laughing. Even straight up Melo for Blake is a huge win for the Knicks

Ball_Out
02-13-2016, 03:29 AM
Melo for Blake AND pieces? Clippers would hang up laughing. Even straight up Melo for Blake is a huge win for the Knicks
Hang up laughing? You guys are funny. Has Blake done anything to show he's leading a team to anything? Why would they hang up laughing?

IBleedPurple
02-13-2016, 03:46 AM
LaLa and her no trade clause. That's why.

ewing
02-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Maybe Miami and small chance at LAC if he could get there with Griffin staying. I don't think you guys understand Melo - he isn't going to up and move his family like that. He made a commitment to NYC that was bigger than basketball so if he goes anywhere its going to be close to NY and it is going to be a ready made contender with his amigos. He isn't leaving unless its a ready made finals team close to NY and Cleveland is the only one that fits the bill. LeBron is like his NBA soulmate and JR and Shump are his little brothers. It makes too much sense.

you mean he's LaLa *****? :)

KnicksorBust
02-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Teams I think he'd waive his NTC for:

Cavaliers
Bulls
Thunder
Clippers
Heat
Rockets

Players Knicks could target from those teams:

Love
Mirotec/Noah
Ibaka
Griffin
Whiteside/Dragic
Howard

I would love building around a defensive Ibaka/KP frontcourt. Sign me up.

Chronz
02-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Hang up laughing? You guys are funny. Has Blake done anything to show he's leading a team to anything? Why would they hang up laughing?

Yes. And he's shown it at a FAR faster rate than Melo has plus he's younger so yeah, no Brainer Like that and you can bet they hang up laughing, that or disgusted

Chronz
02-13-2016, 12:35 PM
I don't know what that is suppose to mean, when you speak on subjective ****, you should elaborate. Like what's not subjective is that the Clips have been more successful in terms of their quality of play for quite some time now in comparison the laughing stock that have been the modern era Knicks. So yeah, that's why the Clips are where they are and the Knicks are stuck with Melo or klove if he wants to bolt.

And no it's not "arguable" . prolly would compliment cp3 game well but i still take the superior talent in this case.

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 01:05 PM
They won't trade him because Dolan doesn't want to. That's my opinion. Dolan locks onto guys and I think he feels that Carmelo is still a top player in the NBA who can be the center piece of a championship team. He's not. He's just not that player. And he's just not a guy who fits in New York. I also think does has the mindset of "we gave up X for this, so that's what we'd need back" not counting in his age, injuries and cap cost.

They could care less if he's a draw. The Knicks have sold out MSG for decades while being a terrible team with little or no stars and/or playing basketball. People will buy tickets. That's not a reason.

As for the no-trade-clause, sure, I bet that factor in a bit. If you can't get back anything of value from the limited options, there's no point in really even taking a serious look at this. Plus, we've heard in the past that Carmelo's wide wants to be in NY. Maybe he just likes being in a stable family situation where his family wants to be.

But, like I said, I really think it's because Dolan doesn't want to. And as long as Dolan is the owner, this is how the Knicks will be. Honestly, Carmelo should never have left the Nuggets.

It's been said that Dolan is head over heels in love with Porzingis and looks at him as the face of the franchise for the next 15 years. I think with Porzingis on board, Dolan would be OK parting with Melo. Porzingis is the guy who draws the loudest ovations, has most fans rocking his jersey etc. Its not like Melo leaving would leave Dolan without a franchise face anymore.

A brief chant rose up at Staples Center on Wednesday night during the Lakers’ loss to the Kings: “We want Phil.’’

Sorry, Los Angeles, you can’t have him. Knicks owner James Dolan won’t let go of president Phil Jackson just yet. While the Lakers’ braintrust passed on Kristaps Porzingis with the second pick to take D’Angelo Russell, Dolan is said to be so enamored with the 7-foot-3 Latvian, Jackson can do no wrong in the owner’s eyes.

Dolan has a marquee piece to market at his new Garden for the next decade who could keep the franchise’s price tag at tops in the league — currently $3 billion, according to Forbes. Considering Jackson is paid $60 million through 2019, Jackson’s contract may not turn out to be so egregious.

I think Dolan would allow Phil to trade Melo if Melo was willing to trade his NTC.

CardinalRed24
02-13-2016, 01:28 PM
My question is, who in the BLUE HELL would want Anthony? I don't even think he's worth what you'd be giving up to get him. Aside from Kobe& Iverson, being a ballhog simply doesn't work. And I don't really think he would be enough to take the team to the next level. He is very difficult to play with.

Chronz
02-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Melo for Crowder and Lee is what you're looking at, and tbh, if Melo is still has one final playoff push in him, thats a Finals team. If this is the Melo we're getting from now on, they are still one of the better teams in the East, I just wonder how much of Boston's defensive identity comes from Crowder. If Melo drags down the defense then the ONLY way he could improve them is if he becomes an efficient outlet option for the team. That or he has one of those stretches where players are just on fire, hes like a wild card superstar at this point, capable of taking over a playoff game/series but also capable of dragging you down. Its worth the risk for alot of teams out East, which ones is Melo going to deem worthy?

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 02:06 PM
My question is, who in the BLUE HELL would want Anthony? I don't even think he's worth what you'd be giving up to get him. Aside from Kobe& Iverson, being a ballhog simply doesn't work. And I don't really think he would be enough to take the team to the next level. He is very difficult to play with.

Team LeBron would give their left nutsack(s) to flip Love for Melo, you better believe that.

Melo for Crowder and Lee is what you're looking at, and tbh, if Melo is still has one final playoff push in him, thats a Finals team. If this is the Melo we're getting from now on, they are still one of the better teams in the East, I just wonder how much of Boston's defensive identity comes from Crowder. If Melo drags down the defense then the ONLY way he could improve them is if he becomes an efficient outlet option for the team. That or he has one of those stretches where players are just on fire, hes like a wild card superstar at this point, capable of taking over a playoff game/series but also capable of dragging you down. Its worth the risk for alot of teams out East, which ones is Melo going to deem worthy?

Melo is not going to play for the Boston Celtics. That hasn't even been reported on so not sure why it's being talked about.

mrblisterdundee
02-13-2016, 02:13 PM

You're simply ignorant of reality if you compare Carmelo Anthony, probably the third option in a big three at this point, to Kevin Durant, a legitimate MVP contender and franchise centerpiece. Durant is significantly better than Antony in all but rebounding.
I swear; it must be the same homers who hated the Kristaps Porzingis pick now overvaluing Anthony. He's 32 and one-dimensional. Be realistic about his value; try to send him off to a contender for a reasonable package; and start the rebuild.

Ball_Out
02-13-2016, 02:15 PM
You're simply ignorant of reality if you compare Carmelo Anthony, probably the third option in a big three at this point, to Kevin Durant, a legitimate MVP contender and franchise centerpiece. Durant is significantly better than Antony in all but rebounding.
I swear; it must be the same homers who hated the Kristaps Porzingis pick now overvaluing Anthony. He's 32 and one-dimensional. Be realistic about his value; try to send him off to a contender for a reasonable package; and start the rebuild.
Lol. Like I said, I don't hate Carmelo like you guys do. The trade makes sense no matter what you think.

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2016, 02:55 PM
I think there are several issues at play here.

1. Teams very seldom seek to trade an franchise player because they very rarely get back what they are sending out (see Orlando sending out Howard), and if they do, it is often seen as a lateral move (Manning for Nique).

2. Anthony seems to like New York. He may be asking for a trade behind closed doors, but this seems like the kind of city he wants to play for. And frankly, he is playing very well right now.

I mean, it's mostly that they want to get back what they are sending out and improve. For instance, if they traded for Griffin, that's be a step up I think, even if you see Melo as the better player, you at least get a younger player who extends your window. Likewise, a team like LAC might trade CP3 for Kyrie. Kyrie is not as good, but he's younger and therefore extends the window, while CP3 would improve chemistry in CLE, so even if he is only equally good, he's a better fit (though I would argue he is a better player).

If it is a lateral move, you want to at least improve chemistry. Who are the Knicks going to get back? Love? Ok. Make the trade. Griffin? Sure. Make the trade. Bosh or Wade? Forget it. Not worth making the trade.

But who is going to put a high value on the most expensive contract in the NBA and for a player on the wrong side of thirty who has never been to the finals and has only been out of the first round twice? Most teams will undersell that trade because of the contract they are taking on.

CardinalRed24
02-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Team LeBron would give their left nutsack(s) to flip Love for Melo, you better believe that.

Well I feel really feel for them if they think Melo would be any kind of an improvement over Love in Cleveland. Both need the ball in their hands and neither play any kind of defense. Anthony is aging and coming off knee surgery. I'm not saying he is useless, he is still an all star however with his high salary it is difficult to add the necessary pieces around him in order to contend. I'd honestly rather have Kevin Love despite all the heavy baggage that comes with it.

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Did you guys even read the trade rumors?

It was a 2 way discussion between Boston and Cleveland around Love. Knicks got in the mix with Melo going to Cleveland, Love to Boston, assets to Knicks.

It's not a trade between Knicks and Cleveland
It's not a trade between Knicks and Boston

IMO, a 3 seeded Boston team would be wise to keep their thriving chemistry core in tact and utilize the BK pick. They can get Love + probably another decent piece from the Knicks and have space to make a run at Horford while keeping their entire core in tact. I don't think trading Crowder + Smart + late picks in this trade makes much sense for them because it could end up being a lateral move. They should look to add to this 3 seed core without taking anything away, the only way to do that is with the BK pick.

D-Leethal
02-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Well I feel really feel for them if they think Melo would be any kind of an improvement over Love in Cleveland. Both need the ball in their hands and neither play any kind of defense. Anthony is aging and coming off knee surgery. I'm not saying he is useless, he is still an all star however with his high salary it is difficult to add the necessary pieces around him in order to contend. I'd honestly rather have Kevin Love despite all the heavy baggage that comes with it.

Melo is way better on D than Love, he is more aggressive as a player in general and LeBron has enough love and respect for him to make sure he is getting the ball and is active whereas he just lets Love sit in the corner. LeBron runs the show, Melo is his best friend, Shump and JR are his little brothers, chemistry would improve in the locker room and IMO, Melo is a much better fit on the court and makes them more dangerous against the West elite in the Finals.

AJR
02-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Hard to believe Phil would take the job if Dolan restricted his power by saying Melo was off-limits, but the situation would make sense. It's clear Melo isn't the future for the Knicks, he still has enough trade value to acquire a real advantage.

mavwar53
02-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Who would give much for him? He is a me first guy, numbers first, numbers 2nd, numbers 3rd and winning comes somewhere after that. He is also so ball dominant that most PGs don't fully utilize their skills when he is on the court.

ManningToTyree
02-13-2016, 03:54 PM
He signed on for a rebuild he could've walked. Phil wanted him for the future he could have let him walk. This is year two of that rebuild if after this offseason they are still looking like a rebuilding project going nowhere then you start to consider trading him. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. The Knicks and melo are reluctant because they chose each other have to give it a chance before selling.

ManningToTyree
02-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Who would give much for him? He is a me first guy, numbers first, numbers 2nd, numbers 3rd and winning comes somewhere after that. He is also so ball dominant that most PGs don't fully utilize their skills when he is on the court. haven't watched him at all this season I take it?

ewing
02-13-2016, 05:05 PM
cause Melo says no :)

IKnowHoops
02-13-2016, 08:34 PM
On second thought, If I'm the Cavs, I don't want Melo for Love.

ewing
02-13-2016, 11:36 PM
well he does know hoops

Wade n Fade
02-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Isn't it better for the league that the Knicks can do a proper rebuild and get rid of Melo while he goes to a contender and increases ratings for another market? Boston would make sense for Melo. Same with Chicago. Los Angeles Clippers work too. A Griffin/Melo swap would work for both teams. Melo could play the 4 in a small ball lineup with the Clips while giving them a truly gifted player at the 3. Sorry Paul Pierce, but you're old and would be a guy who ought to come off the bench permanently. As for the Knicks, they get another star to build around while Porzingis could learn from one of the best stars in this league. Isn't Porzingis a future option at the five if he can bulk up enough to play more in the post? Or is that asking too much since he has a good stretch element to his game? If not, the Knicks can flip Griffin to another team down the road if it doesn't work out.

Scoots
02-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Melo would be great for the Cavs ... IF HEALTHY! But he's never going to be healthy again it looks like.

mudvayne387
02-15-2016, 10:30 AM
If I was Phil Jackson, I would try to work out something like this:

Bulls Receive:

Anthony
Seraphin

Bucks Receive:

Noah
Portis
Baristow

Knicks Receive:

Monroe
Mirotic
Bulls 1st

Then since you have a log jam in the front court, I would look to move Lopez

Knicks Receive:

Holiday

Pelicans Receive:

Lopez
Bulls 1st

My 2016 Knicks Opening Day Roster:

Holiday
Ellis (Free Agency)
Batum (Free Agency)
Porzingis
Monroe

Afflalo (6th Man)
Mirotic
Galloway
Calderon
Grant
O'Quinn
Williams
Admundson
Thomas

Tg11
02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Well maybe because Anthony is the face of their franchise but also the man is a multiple-time All Star so why would they trade him? Not to mention Melo himself said he doesn't want to go anywhere

illwill83
02-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Anthony does not want to move. He won't say it but he has come to grips that he won't win a championship in NY. He is content with being in new york. His family loves ny his son likes going to school there. He is comfortable. He has a no trade clause the knicks hands are tied unless he decides he will waive it.

CardinalRed24
02-15-2016, 01:52 PM
I understand why the Knicks did it but I still don't think resigning Anthony last year for 5 more years was the wisest decision to make. I honestly would have preffered to let him go, save all that $$ and start rebuilding instantly.

Its extremely difficult for these Knicks to build around Anthony and I don't see things getting any better as long as he stays.

illwill83
02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
He is a ticket seller and prior to the knicks getting zinger. Things were looking pretty glum on the star front.

ewing
02-15-2016, 02:20 PM
I understand why the Knicks did it but I still don't think resigning Anthony last year for 5 more years was the wisest decision to make. I honestly would have preffered to let him go, save all that $$ and start rebuilding instantly.

Its extremely difficult for these Knicks to build around Anthony and I don't see things getting any better as long as he stays.

They have already gotten better, plus they have money to spend and all there picks after this year. They aren't going to win a championship next year but if they play there cards right and aren't unlucky they are in a spot where they should improve over the next couple years.

mudvayne387
02-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Well maybe because Anthony is the face of their franchise but also the man is a multiple-time All Star so why would they trade him? Not to mention Melo himself said he doesn't want to go anywhere

A face of the franchise that traded away literally every single asset they had in return for his services. How soon we all forget that Melo could of just rode out the storm and signed with the Knicks in free agency. As if losing out on the picks wasn't punishment enough, we get to witness Gallinari blossoming into a very solid NBA player.

mudvayne387
02-15-2016, 02:36 PM
They have already gotten better, plus they have money to spend and all there picks after this year. They aren't going to win a championship next year but if they play there cards right and aren't unlucky they are in a spot where they should improve over the next couple years.

That is fine and dandy but what good is it to have a solid roster in three years when he is 35 years old and unable to tie his shoelaces. That is the point we are all trying to make. By the time the Knicks complete their rebuilding process, Anthony will most likely have nothing left in the tank. If he was traded away now for some younger assets and maybe some picks, the team can regroup and there is very little pressure to rush the rebuild.

ewing
02-15-2016, 02:43 PM
That is fine and dandy but what good is it to have a solid roster in three years when he is 35 years old and unable to tie his shoelaces. That is the point we are all trying to make. By the time the Knicks complete their rebuilding process, Anthony will most likely have nothing left in the tank. If he was traded away now for some younger assets and maybe some picks, the team can regroup and there is very little pressure to rush the rebuild.

glad you fine it dandy as a knick fan i do too. the franchise wanted to maintain some respectability during the rebuild so they resigned him, now I think they would entertain trading but he doesn't want to leave, it is what it is. I really don't think you have a point other then assuming that the knicks should be able to get done what you think they should do despite evidence to contrary.

mudvayne387
02-15-2016, 02:59 PM
glad you fine it dandy as a knick fan i do too. the franchise wanted to maintain some respectability during the rebuild so they resigned him, now I think they would entertain trading but he doesn't want to leave, it is what it is. I really don't think you have a point other then assuming that the knicks should be able to get done what you think they should do despite evidence to contrary.

What respectability do they have with Anthony that they wouldn't have without ? They signed Lopez and Afflalo in F/A and drafted Porzingis. Great starts, but still not good enough to make the playoffs. They have no draft pick in this years draft, just fired their coach (who supposedly was banging his players girls) and have a "superstar" in Anthony who is on place to play in less than 70 games yet again.

ewing
02-15-2016, 03:04 PM
What respectability do they have with Anthony that they wouldn't have without ? They signed Lopez and Afflalo in F/A and drafted Porzingis. Great starts, but still not good enough to make the playoffs. They have no draft pick in this years draft, just fired their coach (who supposedly was banging his players girls) and have a "superstar" in Anthony who is on place to play in less than 70 games yet again.

they won 17 games the last year. They haven't won a game this year when Anthony has sat. Not one. :shrug:

AJR
02-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Anthony should want to move. His career is in its twilight years and he will never win a championship if he stays in NY

eDush
02-15-2016, 03:33 PM

I agree it would be a bad fit as well as a bad influence to Porzingis. I don't think the Knicks want their golden boy learning bad habit of flopping for an oscar or to punch staff members like a girlie girl. It must be a Okie from Mustokee thing, who knows.. Even the Clippers don't want this guy as they are initiating trade offers today with other teams like the Nuggets for Kenneth Faried as the key pieces.

eDush
02-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Anthony should want to move. His career is in its twilight years and he will never win a championship if he stays in NY

Because Melo has came home and nothing is more important then that! Since you are not a New Yorker and might not understand their values, this is why (https://youtu.be/GMpLQCdmpNo) Melo does not want to leave NY no matter what :nod:

Superstars wants to come back home to play for their home team, it's not just a craze but a reality that nothing is more important than coming back to your communities to make a difference...

AJR
02-15-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm a New Yorker, still think a competitor wants to win

eDush
02-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Oh then you should understand that if you ask for a trade, you will be hated by abandoning your home team to play for another team just to win championships. Lebron learn the hard way that it was not worth as fans was burning his jersey when he left so he has come home too instead of remaining in South Beach to continue a dynasty. I don't think Melo wants his home boys burning his jerseys too if he leaves. I don't think you realized how painful that can be :(