PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James, Kobe Bryant Reportedly Were at Center of 2007 Trade Talks

JJ_JKidd
02-10-2016, 09:35 PM
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant Reportedly Were at Center of 2007 Trade Talks

According to ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst, multiple sources revealed that the Los Angeles Lakers called the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2007 to gauge their interest in a potential deal involving the Black Mamba and King James.

Per Windhorst, L.A. made the call during the 2007 offseason on the heels of the 28-year-old Bryant putting up 31.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game. LeBron was just 22 years of age and four years into his NBA career, but he enjoyed a dominant campaign with per-game averages of 27.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.0 assists.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2615568-lebron-james-kobe-bryant-reportedly-were-at-center-of-2007-trade-talks?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

More-Than-Most
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I actually respect Kobe for this... He knew what the lakers were doing and he wanted ****ing help or he was rolling out.... Fact even the best players need help all around them and kobe forced the lakers hand... This is pretty similar to Lebron leaving the cavs because they were doing the same thing to him for years.

lakerfan85
02-10-2016, 09:50 PM
I actually respect Kobe for this... He knew what the lakers were doing and he wanted ****ing help or he was rolling out.... Fact even the best players need help all around them and kobe forced the lakers hand... This is pretty similar to Lebron leaving the cavs because they were doing the same thing to him for years.

Exactly..

JJ_JKidd
02-10-2016, 09:51 PM

Fact is no superstar can do it alone. Closest thing I can remember was AI during the Finals run vs the Lakers.

CHANGO
02-10-2016, 11:08 PM
I find funny that some years back with Lebron and the decision, some fans were praising Kobe for his "loyalty" and negating the reports that Kobe wanted to be traded to the Bulls on 2007. Now Kobe admits it, and all that talk can go to rest. Bottomline is, you can't win without help, there is no loyalty on the NBA. Duncan? Put him on a non winning team for 6 years and see if he goes 20 years playing on that same team. Kobe? Just imagine the Lakers not getting Gasol. Dirk? See Duncan.

Anyone is "loyal" when things are going good.

flea
02-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Fact is no superstar can do it alone. Closest thing I can remember was AI during the Finals run vs the Lakers.

No superstar can go 1v5 and win a championship but there have been a few that could carry very uninspiring casts to victory over much more talented teams. Kobe and Lebron weren't those types of players though, and Lebron was scared so he teamed up with his conference's competition so he could guarantee Finals appearances.

Lebron's had the more talented Finals team 4 of the 6 times he's been there but lost even half of those. Kobe couldn't even carry an uninspiring team to the playoffs in his prime, though I give him a slight mulligan because he missed a number of games as did his running mate and they were in the West.

valade16
02-11-2016, 12:36 AM
No superstar can go 1v5 and win a championship but there have been a few that could carry very uninspiring casts to victory over much more talented teams. Kobe and Lebron weren't those types of players though, and Lebron was scared so he teamed up with his conference's competition so he could guarantee Finals appearances.

Lebron's had the more talented Finals team 4 of the 6 times he's been there but lost even half of those. Kobe couldn't even carry an uninspiring team to the playoffs in his prime, though I give him a slight mulligan because he missed a number of games as did his running mate and they were in the West.

4/6 Finals?

Which 4? The 4 Miami teams? It's your contention then that the Heat were more talented than the Spurs? Eh, not sure I buy that.

lakerfan85
02-11-2016, 12:43 AM
ESPN sure is running this breaking news across the ticker nonstop tonight..

ManningToTyree
02-11-2016, 12:58 AM
Wasn't this know for years now?

lakerfan85
02-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Brian Windhorst and his KFC sources..

Ball_Out
02-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Who cares. This is a bs story to pump up the game they were coincidentally playing against each in tonight.

HouRealCoach
02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
I refuse to believe that a team wanted to trade a 22 year old LBJ... I'm sorry, I won't believe it

Yanks All Day
02-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I refuse to believe that a team wanted to trade a 22 year old LBJ... I'm sorry, I won't believe it

I don't think the Cavs were looking to trade a 22 year old LeBron James. I think it's the Lakers that were looking to trade an unhappy 30 year old Kobe Bryant. I'd imagine the conversation didn't get past a sentence or two.

FraziersKnicks
02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
22 year old LeBron is probably as untouchable as any athlete in sports history.

Maybe a young A-Rod or Pujols? Lionel Messi?

Tony_Starks
02-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Kobe wasn't F'n with Cleveland.

We are damn lucky the Bulls seriously over-valued Luo Deng tho or this whole Kobe legacy would've been ENTIRELY different.

Thanks Krausse!!!

pacofunk64
02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Did anyone read the damn article?

1. Cavs had absolutely zero interest in making this trade. It was Kupchak doing his due diligence once Kobe put a veto on all the other trade options. He reached out to the Cavs to see about discussing and the Cavs came back and said James was untouchable.

2. It wasn't the Bulls that necessarily put that value on Deng. It was more Kobe. Bryant would have been a Bull if he would have accepted Deng coming to LA in exchange.

Tony_Starks
02-11-2016, 11:27 AM

1. Cavs had absolutely zero interest in making this trade. It was Kupchak doing his due diligence once Kobe put a veto on all the other trade options. He reached out to the Cavs to see about discussing and the Cavs came back and said James was untouchable.

2. It wasn't the Bulls that necessarily put that value on Deng. It was more Kobe. Bryant would have been a Bull if he would have accepted Deng coming to LA in exchange.

You're right, Kobe refused to go to the Bulls if it meant they were shipping Deng out. Seems like they could've got another team involved to make a attractive package for the Lakers still tho. Kobe was openly down to go to Chicago.

And as far as Cleveland Kobe said no way in hell he would've waived his clause for them. He said it was Bulls, Suns, or Pistons.

C-ross12
02-11-2016, 11:44 AM
22 year old LeBron is probably as untouchable as any athlete in sports history.

Maybe a young A-Rod or Pujols? Lionel Messi?

Probably comparable to Michael Trout.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2016, 12:01 PM

1- duh

2- I thought this was common knowledge? Kobe's threat to force a trade was basically just him telling the FO, "get me some damn help". He had veto power over any trade, and in order to land Kobe at the time, it meant gutting your team. So Kobe wasn't going to allow any trade that was offered to take place. He was simply pulling a leverage move.

Chronz
02-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Not too similar, Kobe should have known what he was getting into when the Lakers were trading away Shaq for clear downgrades and a cap killing contract. He was the man for 3 years before giving up on hope on a team that had already gifted him years of contention. Bron left after what, like 6 or 7 years of being given an OLD Shaq and Mo Williams as his best teammates.

Bron also waited for FA, Kobe couldn't even honor his contract and wouldn't accept deals that would help the team for fear that it would weaken his.

Yet one is vilified and the other is honored. LOL, such is life.

Chronz
02-11-2016, 02:23 PM

Im still reading this thread but this popped out for reason #2.

Bulls put a HIGH value on Deng. They refused to part with him on numerous blockbuster trades, for KG/Pau IIRC.

Chronz
02-11-2016, 02:27 PM

Thats a bad sign, even J-Kidd did more for his team to win than AI, Kidd was carrying the offense AND defense whilst being a leader on the floor to a degree few have ever reached.

FOXHOUND
02-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Not too similar, Kobe should have known what he was getting into when the Lakers were trading away Shaq for clear downgrades and a cap killing contract. He was the man for 3 years before giving up on hope on a team that had already gifted him years of contention. Bron left after what, like 6 or 7 years of being given an OLD Shaq and Mo Williams as his best teammates.

Bron also waited for FA, Kobe couldn't even honor his contract and wouldn't accept deals that would help the team for fear that it would weaken his.

Yet one is vilified and the other is honored. LOL, such is life.

Many stars have pulled power moves and left places. It was more about the how he did than what he did.

You know,

https://localtvwjw.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/lebron-decision1.jpg

and,

http://media.cleveland.com/shaw_impact/photo/heat-pep-rally-2010-mctjpg-337d6aa292e027bf.jpg

Plus the competitive softness to join up with two HOFs to form by far the most stacked team in the NBA.

You don't understand this?

Redrum187
02-12-2016, 05:52 AM

Dirk Nowitzki did it without another superstar. He also did it against a stacked Heat team.

Redrum187
02-12-2016, 05:55 AM
I find funny that some years back with Lebron and the decision, some fans were praising Kobe for his "loyalty" and negating the reports that Kobe wanted to be traded to the Bulls on 2007. Now Kobe admits it, and all that talk can go to rest. Bottomline is, you can't win without help, there is no loyalty on the NBA. Duncan? Put him on a non winning team for 6 years and see if he goes 20 years playing on that same team. Kobe? Just imagine the Lakers not getting Gasol. Dirk? See Duncan.

Anyone is "loyal" when things are going good.

Duncan and Dirk are my 2 favorite players of all time, but that's silly. Duncan has had vastly superior players his entire career compared to Dirk.

I also think it's disrespectful to compare Dirk/Duncan to Kobe. Dirk to Duncan is completely fair... both are team-first players, humble, and are the epitome of a leader/locker room guy that any player would love to have. Kobe... not so much.

Having said all that, I actually don't care if Dirk and Duncan are loyal to their teams. I'm a player-fan, not a team fan. So I don't think less of Kobe for wanting to bolt in 07', he is still a great player. He just isn't cut from the same cloth as Duncan/Dirk.

Vinylman
02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Kobe wasn't F'n with Cleveland.

We are damn lucky the Bulls seriously over-valued Luo Deng tho or this whole Kobe legacy would've been ENTIRELY different.

Thanks Krausse!!!

Krause? He was long gone by 2007... I think he left in 2003

Chronz
02-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Many stars have pulled power moves and left places
Yup. Just like some honored their contract before leaving. Its not a big deal either way to me So You can understand why I'm not going to see the relevance of your next point.

It was more about the how he did than what he did.

You know,

https://localtvwjw.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/lebron-decision1.jpg

and,

http://media.cleveland.com/shaw_impact/photo/heat-pep-rally-2010-mctjpg-337d6aa292e027bf.jpg

Plus the competitive softness to join up with two HOFs to form by far the most stacked team in the NBA.

You don't understand this
Lol so he teamed up with talent instead of forcing himself to it and I'm suppose to understand this means what again? I don't agree with your interpretation so agree to disagree. I focus on their play more than how fancy of a show it was. Shaqs ego was more fun tho, dude straight up drove a diesel truck to Miami, puts the big3 spectacle to shame imo

Hawkeye15
02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Dirk Nowitzki did it without another superstar. He also did it against a stacked Heat team.

dude Jason Terry played out of his mind, and the Mavs (excluding Dirk's 7 made three's for the series), hit 45/103 from beyond the arc. They bombed the Heat right out of the building haha. Of anyone who played 100 minutes in the series, Dirk didn't even have the top 2 offensive ratings.

The Mavs role players stepped the **** up man, at the exact right time. And their defense basically just walled around LeBron and took him out of the series. And he didn't push the issue, instead just fading away...

The Cavs last year, minus LeBron, hit 36-125 from behind the arc, and shot roughly 35% outside LeBron (who didn't exactly kill it either...)

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Yup. Just like some honored their contract before leaving. Its not a big deal either way to me So You can understand why I'm not going to see the relevance of your next point.

Lol so he teamed up with talent instead of forcing himself to it and I'm suppose to understand this means what again? I don't agree with your interpretation so agree to disagree. I focus on their play more than how fancy of a show it was. Shaqs ego was more fun tho, dude straight up drove a diesel truck to Miami, puts the big3 spectacle to shame imo

Lol, fair enough I guess, but Shaq's theatrics has nothing on the big 3. They had a huge pep rally, and how can you forget the infamous quotes? It's going to be easy. Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 but 6 championships! It's too bad they only got two. Just that still of the on a big stage with YES. WE. DID., I mean come on that's a joke. Guys thought they were in the WWE or something. LeBron acted like a punk through that whole process, including his post game pressers in the Finals when he said stuff like his life will still be way better than any fans and whatever.

You don't have to agree with it, but I think the reasons why people don't like LeBron are pretty evident.

Hawkeye15
02-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Lol, fair enough I guess, but Shaq's theatrics has nothing on the big 3. They had a huge pep rally, and how can you forget the infamous quotes? It's going to be easy. Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 but 6 championships! It's too bad they only got two. Just that still of the on a big stage with YES. WE. DID., I mean come on that's a joke. Guys thought they were in the WWE or something. LeBron acted like a punk through that whole process, including his post game pressers in the Finals when he said stuff like his life will still be way better than any fans and whatever.

You don't have to agree with it, but I think the reasons why people don't like LeBron are pretty evident.

not what he said.

You can hate anyone for any reason, that is the beauty of life :)

But acting like LeBron did anything worse than a ton of players before him, and will do after him, is dumb.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 06:31 PM
not what he said.

You can hate anyone for any reason, that is the beauty of life :)

But acting like LeBron did anything worse than a ton of players before him, and will do after him, is dumb.

Maybe I'm misremembering his exact quote, but I don't remember it being good.

But come now, LeBron has done things way worse in the cocky a-hole department from others. The Decision and the pep rally stuff was unprecedented. He isn't alone in the pep rally either, and he and Wade also made fun of Dirk in the Finals. That didn't work out so well...

Trying to justify his actions by saying he's not the only extremely cocky a-hole in NBA history. I mean, doesn't exactly make it OK lol. I'm sure the people who don't like LeBron's actions like that don't like what others have done either.

Chronz
02-12-2016, 06:45 PM

Iirc, Shaq brought his super soaker and made it rain in Miami. Prep rally was a fake interview with a bunch of fluff. Inn order to hate, People take **** out of context to much imo. Like that's not how i interpreted brons words but he did clarify what he meant. Tho nobody buys that **** afterwards. It is what it is, i don't pretend to know the guy

Hawkeye15
02-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Maybe I'm misremembering his exact quote, but I don't remember it being good.

But come now, LeBron has done things way worse in the cocky a-hole department from others. The Decision and the pep rally stuff was unprecedented. He isn't alone in the pep rally either, and he and Wade also made fun of Dirk in the Finals. That didn't work out so well...

Trying to justify his actions by saying he's not the only extremely cocky a-hole in NBA history. I mean, doesn't exactly make it OK lol. I'm sure the people who don't like LeBron's actions like that don't like what others have done either.

He basically said that the next day, we wake up and we have our lives to get back to, and so does he. Which isn't wrong. It came off weird though, and LeBron is one of those guys who gets taken out of context all the damn time, because he doesn't know how to say something properly many times.

I personally just think he is terrible at wording, and comes off as whiny at times. He really just needs to shut up. I don't feel he has any poor intentions, or is a dick, but he just isn't a good public speaker.

Social media, has also put more emphasis on what players do. Is that "rally" really shown all over the planet 10 years previous? They had that for the fans of Miami, and were generally trying to have fun. But it wasn't necessary, and the only way players learn that is by doing it and getting crapped on, which they did haha.

Notice him going back to Cleveland was MUCH quieter. You learn as you get older.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Iirc, Shaq brought his super soaker and made it rain in Miami. Prep rally was a fake interview with a bunch of fluff. Inn order to hate, People take **** out of context to much imo. Like that's not how i interpreted brons words but he did clarify what he meant. Tho nobody buys that **** afterwards. It is what it is, i don't pretend to know the guy

Haha, Shaq is insane. I remember him telling a reporter at a press conference that he was an alien, and he seemed dead serious.

Hawkeye refreshed my memory on the Finals presser, and looking back into it yeah it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I think he's definitely a cocky a-hole in terms of basketball, but I also agree that there are people who take that too far and pretend he's some villain plotting all these evil things haha. Off the court, he seems like a cool enough dude.

FOXHOUND
02-12-2016, 10:13 PM
He basically said that the next day, we wake up and we have our lives to get back to, and so does he. Which isn't wrong. It came off weird though, and LeBron is one of those guys who gets taken out of context all the damn time, because he doesn't know how to say something properly many times.

I personally just think he is terrible at wording, and comes off as whiny at times. He really just needs to shut up. I don't feel he has any poor intentions, or is a dick, but he just isn't a good public speaker.

Social media, has also put more emphasis on what players do. Is that "rally" really shown all over the planet 10 years previous? They had that for the fans of Miami, and were generally trying to have fun. But it wasn't necessary, and the only way players learn that is by doing it and getting crapped on, which they did haha.

Notice him going back to Cleveland was MUCH quieter. You learn as you get older.

You're totally right, I went back and looked at it and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. I guess I was remembering the backlash more than the actual quotes.

Yeah, I think he has a mix of poorly worded statements and moments of immaturity that he's pretty much gotten over. The way he used to dance on the sideline in blowouts and the pep rally thing being examples of the latter haha.

JJ_JKidd
02-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Thats a bad sign, even J-Kidd did more for his team to win than AI, Kidd was carrying the offense AND defense whilst being a leader on the floor to a degree few have ever reached.

Lol who did AI have on that team? Geiger, Lynch, Raja Bell? Kidd at least had that Kenyon Martin guy (Kidd made him look good in as much as Nash with Amare) and some other decent guys.