PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting pre-season predictions

Sanjay
02-05-2016, 08:38 PM
We are about 50 games through the regular season and almost at the All-Star break so I thought it would be a good time to reflect on predictions we made before opening night.

These were mine:

Western Conference
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Clippers
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Pelicans
10. Nuggets
11. Lakers (was hopeful)
12. Suns
13. Jazz (I underrate Utah for some reason)
14. Trail Blazers
15. Timberwolves

Eastern Conference
1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
3. Heat (I overrate Miami for some reason)
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Knicks
7. Hawks
8. Pacers
9. Hornets
10. Pistons
11. Nets
12. Celtics
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. 76ers

Playoffs
To go according to seeding, Golden State to win.

Awards
MVP: LeBron
DPOY: Davis
Sixth man: Crawford
Rookie: Towns

Reflection
I did not think the Dubs would have a better record than last season and Curry would be even better (I would still have LeBron second in the MVP voting though). I thought New York and the Lakers would be better with the few additions they made.

How have your guys predictions shaped up?

beasted86
02-05-2016, 09:12 PM
You overrated Miami, who is for discussion sake tied for 3rd anyway, but not Washington? Wut?

5ass
02-05-2016, 11:12 PM
I predicted something like this for the east
Cavs
Heat
Hawks
Raptors
Bulls
Celtics
Pacers
Pistons
Bucks
Hornets
Magic
Knicks
Nets
76ers

Although I predicted 8th seed would be 0.500+ and that it would be a close race for many teams.

tredigs
02-05-2016, 11:56 PM
People trying to remember what their predictions may have been seems shaky at best. Wasn't there a thread on this we can revisit?

Aust
02-06-2016, 01:37 AM
People trying to remember what their predictions may have been seems shaky at best. Wasn't there a thread on this we can revisit?

Bold predictions
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?899929-Bold-Prediction-Thread&highlight=prediction
MVP
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?877858-Who-you-got-for-MVP&highlight=predictions

Closest things I could find.

Sanjay
02-09-2016, 07:44 PM
You overrated Miami, who is for discussion sake tied for 3rd anyway, but not Washington? Wut?

Sorry, I wrote those side comments when I made my predictions so saying 'I overrate them' was based on the fact I thought they would do better than they did last season. Regarding the Wizards, they have had a lot of injuries, but should still have a better record. I still expect them to make the playoffs though (they are only 3 games back of the 8th seeded Pistons).

Sanjay
02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
I predicted something like this for the east
Cavs
Heat
Hawks
Raptors
Bulls
Celtics
Pacers
Pistons
Bucks
Hornets
Magic
Knicks
Nets
76ers

Although I predicted 8th seed would be 0.500+ and that it would be a close race for many teams.

I thought I was the only person who expected the Heat to do well this year. How come you ranked the Knicks so low? I agree it would have been a tight contest, but how did you know every team in the playoffs would be above .500? Also, where would you have put the Wizards?

Sanjay
02-09-2016, 07:51 PM

I did not mean exact standings, rather specific predictions, possible playoff matchups and award winners.

leprechaun5
02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
And for some reason you put the Knicks on the poll and not the Celtics (who currently are 3rd in EC- winners of 13 out of 15). I'm not saying we have a good chance to go to ECF and I don't really care even if somehow we do get there because the Cavs would destroy us but we do have a better chance than Knicks and most of the teams in that poll.

JJ_JKidd
02-09-2016, 09:27 PM
We are about 50 games through the regular season and almost at the All-Star break so I thought it would be a good time to reflect on predictions we made before opening night.

These were mine:

Western Conference
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Clippers
5. Rockets
6. Grizzlies
7. Mavericks
8. Kings
9. Pelicans
10. Nuggets
11. Lakers (was hopeful)
12. Suns
13. Jazz (I underrate Utah for some reason)
14. Trail Blazers
15. Timberwolves

Eastern Conference
1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
3. Heat (I overrate Miami for some reason)
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Knicks
7. Hawks
8. Pacers
9. Hornets
10. Pistons
11. Nets
12. Celtics
13. Bucks
14. Magic
15. 76ers

Playoffs
To go according to seeding, Golden State to win.

Awards
MVP: LeBron
DPOY: Davis
Sixth man: Crawford
Rookie: Towns

Reflection
I did not think the Dubs would have a better record than last season and Curry would be even better (I would still have LeBron second in the MVP voting though). I thought New York and the Lakers would be better with the few additions they made.

How have your guys predictions shaped up?

Lol @ predictions TBH. All nonsense.

5ass
02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
I thought I was the only person who expected the Heat to do well this year. How come you ranked the Knicks so low? I agree it would have been a tight contest, but how did you know every team in the playoffs would be above .500? Also, where would you have put the Wizards?

Oh forgot about the wizards I had them like 6th. I thought Beal would break out instead of getting injured again. He looked good before injury.
I thought the Knicks would be worse simply because I didn't think Porzingis would have an impact so early into his career. They won only 15 games last year, so with Melo AA and Lopez I expected like 32 wins. I also thougt O'Quinn would make a bigger impact than he has though. They should've kept Jason Smith, he's a better player for sure.
I remember claiming there wouldn't be much difference between 8th seed in east and west. I thought they'd both be around 40-42 wins. East was full of young talent and injured stars last season. I felt the lower teams were due for a big jump.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Never thought my Bucks be in lottery. But never figured we would give away Ersan, Zaza, Dudley for nothing either.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Bold predictions
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?899929-Bold-Prediction-Thread&highlight=prediction
MVP
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?877858-Who-you-got-for-MVP&highlight=predictions

Closest things I could find.

my guess at Wiggins pushing Harden for FTA was off. Wiggins is 10th, Harden of course 1st.

Gander13SM
02-10-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I had the West as: (1-3) Houston, Warriors, Clippers. And I had OKC as 5th.

Clearly I know nothing.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2016, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I had the West as: (1-3) Houston, Warriors, Clippers. And I had OKC as 5th.

Clearly I know nothing.

I claimed Ricky Rubio would make a layup. Still waiting, but I have my fingers crossed!

tredigs
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
I definitely would have had Houston as an HCA team (wrong), and Memphis to continue to fall off (easy, but right). I had Utah as a playoff team (was surprised that was going to be wrong, but now they're turning it around) and Curry/Durant as the top MVP candidates. I'm very surprised that Westbrook appears to actually be taking the reigns in OKC. Thunder fans will tell you that he is their best player at this point. Clearly I'm WC focused.

CHANGO
02-10-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't remember exactly my predictions, but I can assure you this:

West
Overrated
Pelicans. Had them as high as 6th on the West.
Rockets. Had them at 4th.
Suns. Had them fighting for 8th place.
Timberwolves. *See Suns*

Underrated
Blazers. Didn't expected them to be this high into the All-Star break.
Mavs. Thought without DeAndre they would fall to the fight for 7th and 8th place.

East
Overrated
Wizards. Thought they would be 3rd or 4th.
Bucks. Thought they would be a pain in the *** during PO times for whoever came on 3rd or 2nd position.
Bulls. Had them 3rd.

Underrated
Celtics. Thought they would be good but not 3rd on the East kind of good.

I had the Spurs 1st on the West and Warriors 2nd.

Lil Rhody
02-10-2016, 07:38 PM
How bout them Celtics woooo haahhaha didn't pick them to be this high in the seeding at this point of the season

xbrackattackx
02-10-2016, 10:41 PM
I said Laker would win 15 by mid season. Not too far off.

I thought Bucks would be 4th seed in the East.

My breakout players were; CJ McC and Bazemore.

Said the Heat would fall off. Was wrong about them. Not cause I don't like the heat or anything like that. Cause of Whiteside(Imagine if he had worked out with Sac, and they took Cousins, Yike Temper Tantrum Towers)being able to continue and Bosh coming back from injury.

Thought Clarkson would really break loose this year.

Said Warriors would lead. No brainier.

Also thought Harrison Barnes would break out this year.

Sanjay
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
And for some reason you put the Knicks on the poll and not the Celtics (who currently are 3rd in EC- winners of 13 out of 15). I'm not saying we have a good chance to go to ECF and I don't really care even if somehow we do get there because the Cavs would destroy us but we do have a better chance than Knicks and most of the teams in that poll.

The teams in the poll were more of a reflection of which clubs could be picked to make the Eastern Conference Finals before the season started. I was tempted to add the Celtics retrospectively, but did not. I still think if the Knicks make the playoffs, they can make some noise. Obviously the second spot in the ECF is wide open and the Celtics have a reasonable chance of making it, especially given their recent play and Thomas' performance this season.

Sanjay
02-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Lol @ predictions TBH. All nonsense.

Mine or predictions in general?

Sanjay
02-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Oh forgot about the wizards I had them like 6th. I thought Beal would break out instead of getting injured again. He looked good before injury.
I thought the Knicks would be worse simply because I didn't think Porzingis would have an impact so early into his career. They won only 15 games last year, so with Melo AA and Lopez I expected like 32 wins. I also thougt O'Quinn would make a bigger impact than he has though. They should've kept Jason Smith, he's a better player for sure.
I remember claiming there wouldn't be much difference between 8th seed in east and west. I thought they'd both be around 40-42 wins. East was full of young talent and injured stars last season. I felt the lower teams were due for a big jump.

Yeah, Beale's health situation is unfortunate, that injury seems to affect him every season.

JJ_JKidd
02-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Mine or predictions in general?

In general.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 12:27 PM
I predicted that Kobe would have one of the most efficient seasons ever and Roy Hibbert would resurrect his career.

I stand here before you, hat in hand, in shame and embarrassment.

A foolish hopeful man, blinded to reality I was.....

Hawkeye15
02-18-2016, 06:28 PM
I predicted that Kobe would have one of the most efficient seasons ever and Roy Hibbert would resurrect his career.

I stand here before you, hat in hand, in shame and embarrassment.

A foolish hopeful man, blinded to reality I was.....

Father Time-a zillion
Athlete-0

Couldn't have expected that with his injuries and mileage. His damn legs got robbed over the past 2-3 years.

IndyRealist
02-18-2016, 06:39 PM
I know i predicted the Pacers under .500, and I still may end up right, but abandoning smallball when your star wasn't on board is probably the right direction to go.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 06:46 PM
I definitely would have had Houston as an HCA team (wrong), and Memphis to continue to fall off (easy, but right). I had Utah as a playoff team (was surprised that was going to be wrong, but now they're turning it around) and Curry/Durant as the top MVP candidates. I'm very surprised that Westbrook appears to actually be taking the reigns in OKC. Thunder fans will tell you that he is their best player at this point. Clearly I'm WC focused.

Really? Who'd you have dropping out, the Clips or Spurs? Guessing the Clips.

Chronz
02-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I had the Mavs falling out, they are hanging on by a thread but they could still fall out. Had Memphis in a similar boat, both have exceeded their expected winning% based on their efficiency and both will likely free fall in the standings so I still feel half right about them. Also had NOLA in the playoffs comfortably with those 2 out of the picture.

Hawkeye15
02-18-2016, 06:59 PM
I had the Mavs falling out, they are hanging on by a thread but they could still fall out. Had Memphis in a similar boat, both have exceeded their expected winning% based on their efficiency and both will likely free fall in the standings so I still feel half right about them. Also had NOLA in the playoffs comfortably with those 2 out of the picture.

were you also in the camp that didn't see the west dropping like this? Hanging on this year, meant you were all but eliminated a few years ago already.

For the first time in a long time (unless OKC goes nuts come playoffs), it looks like the #1 and #2 seeds out west will just plow through to the WCF's

Chronz
02-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Did anyone accurately project the Bucks? They had a nice defense the year prior so you assumed Moose would get some complimentary support on that end, but then you remember how they ended the season after trading away their only legitimate PG for a flier on a pass first non-scorer

Tony_Starks
02-18-2016, 07:32 PM
I had the Bucks as a sleeper team in the east. Never really did my homework on Monroe, didn't know he was that oblivious on defense.

I had them around the 5-6 seed range, taking Wizards slot who I didn't have a lot of faith in...

Chronz
02-18-2016, 07:33 PM
were you also in the camp that didn't see the west dropping like this? Hanging on this year, meant you were all but eliminated a few years ago already.

For the first time in a long time (unless OKC goes nuts come playoffs), it looks like the #1 and #2 seeds out west will just plow through to the WCF's

Houston is really the only Western team thats truly a disappointment, havent checked the numbers but seems like the West has regained its dominance over the East since the new year. I honestly think the Dubs/Spurs will have a harder trip this year, really depends on where things shake out. A team like Memphis better fall out altogether, I would hate to see another injured team in the playoffs like so many were last year.

CHANGO
02-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Did anyone accurately project the Bucks? They had a nice defense the year prior so you assumed Moose would get some complimentary support on that end, but then you remember how they ended the season after trading away their only legitimate PG for a flier on a pass first non-scorer

I was high on them with the acquisition of Moose. As I said on my other post, basing this on the good playoff series they had against the Bulls I thought they would be a hell of a great defensive team (yeah, Moose doesn't exactly help in that category). But it seemed they have the pieces, Giannis, Middleton, Jabari coming back, Henson, adding Moose etc... But apparently no. They haven't been that great defensive team and the offense still is bad with MCW (I wasn't a fan of the Knight-MCW trade).

bucketss
02-18-2016, 08:37 PM
people were acting like the heat would challenge the cavs and were a clear 2nd in the east.. i accurately predicted they would be overrated and would have health issues.

i thought the boston 50 wins stuff was ridiculous but the celtics might shut me up.
i knew the raps would be 2nd/3rd seed.
didn't think bucks would be so trash, same with the pelicans and wizards. but after acquiring markieff i think that would change especially if beal picks it up.
i knew knicks would be a lottery team, but i guess they're slightly better than i thought they would be.

Hawkeye15
02-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Houston is really the only Western team thats truly a disappointment, havent checked the numbers but seems like the West has regained its dominance over the East since the new year. I honestly think the Dubs/Spurs will have a harder trip this year, really depends on where things shake out. A team like Memphis better fall out altogether, I would hate to see another injured team in the playoffs like so many were last year.

I think the Warriors and Spurs will sail through. We shall see. They are just so damn good. Both of them. Hell the Spurs on are pace to win 70, and nobody even talks about them because GS is on pace for 76.

phantasyyy
02-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Clear disappointments for both conferences would be the Bucks for the East and the Rockets for the West.

Both equally disappointing imo, as the Bucks are young enough that they should have built off the improvements they had last year but the addition of Monroe, and injuries to Henson destroyed their defensive capablilites and we all know how over-rated MCW is now.

The Rockets were the real surprise though, they clearly jumped the gun on reshuffling the deck with the decision to not resign Smith yet trade for Lawson. A backcourt of Lawson and Harden was clearly doomed to fail with neither player capable of stopping anybody. Then firing Mchale after what 11 games? - especially with the Harden coming into the season out of shape.

That said what Portland has done is nothing short of amazing 4/5 of the starters out, and yet there they are righti in the thick of things for a play off spot. Lillard not making the ASG is a real bummer though, but such is the case when your in the same conference as the top 3 PG's in the L.

5ass
02-19-2016, 10:51 PM
I predicted the thunder would trade Augustine and 2 2nds for Randy foye

Aust
02-20-2016, 06:06 PM
I too had the Bucks on the upswing. Very disappointing.

canzano55
04-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Going through this thread its interesting to see how practically everyone was off on a lot of teams.