PDA

View Full Version : What would you give for Melo?

KnicksorBust
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Despite not having a pick in the draft it is time for the Knicks to move on from Carmelo Anthony. Now is the best time because he is healthy and has value. He was even showing to be a good passer this season. What would you give up to get Melo?

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Hibbert, Lou, Bass, Brown and Randle

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Randle's interesting but the rest of that looks like hot doodoo no thx

If we move Melo it should really be for prospect(s)/pick(s) only, as star for star swaps usually never happen and we should be looking to future

KnicksorBust
02-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Hibbert, Lou, Bass, Brown and Randle

Only one player worth keeping long term and we can do better than Randle.

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 01:44 PM

If we move Melo it should really be for prospect(s)/pick(s) only, as star for star swaps usually never happen and we should be looking to future

Clarkson, Randle, Hibbert, Lou

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Melo to a playoff team to get them over the hump for championship run. But them picks would be late even if that playoff team even has any picks. Then be scraps or dead weight veterans for Melo. Not sure how many lottery teams wanna part with lottery picks or young assets for Melo. So you be back to square one for the usual suspects that want Melo which would be Bulls or Heat.

I even thought of Blazers as out side team looking in. If they got to keep Lilliard and get Melo and Love that be their big 3. Not sure you like any pieces they have though. CJ is nice piece. Crabb and bunch of other young bigs and whatever picks they have. Probably not enough to land both Love and Melo. Just spit ballin' here.

beasted86
02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Carmelo has a no-trade clause which limits trade options.

You might love what some team like Portland or Utah or the Magic might have by way of young talent and picks, but there's probably no chance he okays a trade to those cities.

So it's basically take what one of the LA teams, Chicago or Miami has or don't trade at all and just keep him.

It could also potentially make things go south quickly if he actually has to veto a trade, essentially both telling him that you want to trade him and what you think his value is at the same time. Like an "I'm an all-star and they think I'm only worth CJ McCollum and some picks?!" type of thing...

IndyRealist
02-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Only one player worth keeping long term and we can do better than Randle.

I'm not sure you can. The cost vs benefit of Melo's contract isn't that good unless it's to a contender to put them over the top, and that's not the type of team that is willing to trade a lot of good pieces.

Who would be in the market for Melo, first off? The Clips and....i dunno.

Gibby23

You might love what some team like Portland or Utah or the Magic might have by way of young talent and picks, but there's probably no chance he okays a trade to those cities.

So it's basically take what one of the LA teams, Chicago or Miami has or don't trade at all and just keep him.

It could also potentially make things go south quickly if he actually has to veto a trade, essentially both telling him that you want to trade him and what you think his value is at the same time. Like an "I'm an all-star and they think I'm only worth CJ McCollum and some picks?!" type of thing...
Ya, because Melo would want to go play on a team that trades all of their best player for him. Why would he care if he thinks the Knicks don't get value for what he thinks he is worth? He would be worried about the talent the other team has kept.

KnicksorBust

Initially I wanted him traded to Dallas for Chandler Parsons and a pick. I could see Cuban selling him on Dallas.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
^^ I don't see Melo waiving the NTC to go to the Lakers anyway, they're in a worse position than we are.

Dude would obviously need to go to a contender to waive that - Clippers/Heat/maybe Bulls (probably not), maybe Dallas (probably not) etc.

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Initially I wanted him traded to Dallas for Chandler Parsons and a pick. I could see Cuban selling him on Dallas.

I wouldn't touch Parsons and that knee. He is a FA and will want a good amount of money.

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
^^ I don't see Melo waiving the NTC to go to the Lakers anyway, they're in a worse position than we are.

Dude would obviously need to go to a contender to waive that - Clippers/Heat/maybe Bulls (probably not), maybe Dallas (probably not) etc.

Im just making offers. We are not really trading him.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 02:14 PM
I hear ya ultimately Lake show just isn't really a possibility IMO

Obviously most likely scenario is no trade happens and Knicks keep him and PRAY to nab a Conley this offseason. We have the worst backcourt in the league that's problem #1

shep33
02-05-2016, 02:15 PM

As a Laker fan I wouldn't do that deal. Melo is about to go out of his prime. Not worth it

beasted86
02-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Ya, because Melo would want to go play on a team that trades all of their best player for him. Why would he care if he thinks the Knicks don't get value for what he thinks he is worth? He would be worried about the talent the other team has kept.

No, I don't think you get where I'm going.

He may decline it for other reasons but at the same time feel disrespected like "they just want to get rid of me at all costs, they don't even care about equal value" type of underlying statement behind the trade suggestion.

To me, Carmelo would have to be approached before they even start shopping. Like tell him they are going in a direction to rebuild, let him basically put the suggestion of a trade out there himself.

lamzoka
02-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Knicks get: Whiteside, Dragic, Deng, Winslow.

Heat get: Melo, Calderon, Grant

Nah?

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
No, I don't think you get where I'm going.

He may decline it for other reasons but at the same time feel disrespected like "they just want to get rid of me at all costs, they don't even care about equal value" type of underlying statement behind the trade suggestion.

To me, Carmelo would have to be approached before they even start shopping. Like tell him they are going in a direction to rebuild, let him basically put the suggestion of a trade out there himself.

Ya, I don't think you can just put him out there without telling him either. I think they would tell him though with his no trade clause standing in the way, so they would have to get him on board.

ManningToTyree
02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Sigh. Why would the Knicks want to move him now? He's playing the most well rounded ball of his life and we are in the second year of a rebuild he signed on for. We got him a future stud in KP and get to finish filling out the roster this summer. No return from a team he would actually go to makes sense anyway.

KnicksorBust
02-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Nah?

Heat laugh and laugh at that. Straight up for Winslow is interesting.

yungincome
02-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Does Miami have $24mil in cap space available or a trade exception big enough to absorb Melo's contract? I'm sure it's no to both questions, so that's not even possible.

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Does Miami have $24mil in cap space available or a trade exception big enough to absorb Melo's contract? I'm sure it's no to both questions, so that's not even possible.

That would have to be done in the offseason

shep33
02-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Nah?

Jesus. Maybe for Winslow and fillers. But all that? Melo is still good, but he's declining and going to be 32 during the playoffs.

His value is at an all-time low right now. And this is coming from a Melo fan

mngopher35
02-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Would Boston be an option? Lots of picks and some young peices, good team with good coach, potentially could use melo to try and lure another player..:

I dunno if that is really a great plan for them but it seems like a team capable of putting something together with him.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 03:05 PM
I just can't see Melo waiving the NTC to go to Boston. Something about it screams impossible (Knicks/Celtics thing maybe)

Tony_Starks
02-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Why on earth would we throw away Randle and Clarkson for a Melo on the downside of his career? I don't even think Jimmy on a weeklong binge would do that.

Love the guy, he's still great, but nah......

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Why on earth would we throw away Randle and Clarkson for a Melo on the downside of his career? I don't even think Jimmy on a weeklong binge would do that.

Love the guy, he's still great, but nah......

Agreed, I don't think Melo to Lakers makes any sense. You guys are rebuilding, IF we move him, which I still doubt, it would literally have to be to a contender right now. Otherwise it makes zero sense. Melo is in control of where he plays.

mngopher35
02-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I just can't see Melo waiving the NTC to go to Boston. Something about it screams impossible (Knicks/Celtics thing maybe)

I could see that in the end but I think they would/should be a team to at least consider for him. I don't know if a trade is likely for that reason, even if they decided they were open to moving him his list might be too limited.

Ty Fast
02-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Melo to the Clippers for Redick and some picks.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Melo to the Clippers for Redick and some picks.

Makes zero sense, Clips picks are all late firsts basically and although I certainly like Redick him + late firsts is just far from enough incentive for Knicks to move Melo.

I really can't see us doing this unless it was for a legit prospect(s) with upside and/or 1st round pick(s) that aren't gonna be in the mid twenties. It's just too much hassle and headache and for Knicks Melo still has way more value than that.

To illustrate that, this season we're .500 when he plays, 0-6 without him. JJ Redick and a couple of late firsts isn't appealing enough sorry

mudvayne387
02-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Anthony for Griffin straight up ?

Not sure what would happen to Lopez though if Porzingis went to the 5 spot full time.

Ball_Out
02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Blake for Melo straight up

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 03:41 PM

I mean the Knicks would almost have to do this based on age alone, plus the fact that Blake is a legit star, but these type of deals just seem to never happen.

Other thing that's a bit worrisome for the Knicks on this deal is it basically automatically puts KP at center, which I'm far from sold on at this point.

Tony_Starks
02-05-2016, 03:50 PM

That would be a serious desperation move on the Clippers part. Desperate as in you had better win this season if you do it or it was a failure.

I can see them more willing to deal DJ and have a serious small ball lineup but he doesn't strike me as the type of player Phil would covet.

Too one dimensional.

europagnpilgrim
02-05-2016, 03:51 PM

go back and look how the nuggets gutted the knicks roster just to ship out melo, he didn't seem to mind then but maybe he learned from that debacle, knicks traded 3-4 starters to get him in a knicks uniform but I maybe wrong, had melo waited out and left during summer knicks could have flipped others for impact all star caliber player or just kept the good players to build around melo

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Anthony for Griffin straight up ?

Not sure what would happen to Lopez though if Porzingis went to the 5 spot full time.

Maybe Lopez to Pelicans for expiring Gordon?

CarolinaCDM
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Rose for melo straight up

mudvayne387
02-05-2016, 04:06 PM
I mean the Knicks would almost have to do this based on age alone, plus the fact that Blake is a legit star, but these type of deals just seem to never happen.

Other thing that's a bit worrisome for the Knicks on this deal is it basically automatically puts KP at center, which I'm far from sold on at this point.

Two weeks ago the thought of Melo for Griffin would get you laughed at. Now it seems like the Clippers are a bit more uneasy with their core 3 due to the recent events. I honestly think it would make the Clippers a better team as Melo can play the 4 next to Jordan and not have to worry about competing for touches. It would also really stretch the floor out nicely with shooters at PG, SG and PF with defensive a minded SF and C.

For the Knicks truthfully it doesn't make a ton of sense. In stretches, the Knicks have actually been more successful with Porzingis playing at the 5. However, I agree with you I am not entirely comfortable with Porzingis playing against heavyweight centers on a regular basis. That being said, you have to make the trade and figure it out at a later time. If they could get the deal done, you could even flip Lopez to a contender for a late round pick in the draft.

mudvayne387
02-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Maybe Lopez to Pelicans for expiring Gordon?

Hell, I'd try to extend Gordan if the price was right. Aflalo has a player option after this season so the SG position will need to be addressed anyways.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Melo for Griffin and then Lopez for Gordon.

Galloway,Gordon,Afflalo,Blake,KP

JLynn943
02-05-2016, 04:22 PM
I somehow doubt a Melo and George Karl reunion is in the cards. I wouldn't bother making an offer.

mudvayne387
02-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Melo for Griffin and then Lopez for Gordon.

Galloway,Gordon,Afflalo,Blake,KP

That is kind of a neat little team there. Don't think it would work long term but would be fun to watch for a bit.

Conley
Gordan
Durant
Griffin
Porzingis

^ Now if that was next years opening day starting 5, I'd be walking around town with a quarter chubby.

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 04:39 PM
go back and look how the nuggets gutted the knicks roster just to ship out melo, he didn't seem to mind then but maybe he learned from that debacle, knicks traded 3-4 starters to get him in a knicks uniform but I maybe wrong, had melo waited out and left during summer knicks could have flipped others for impact all star caliber player or just kept the good players to build around melo

He was like 28 then at his highest value. It would have been ok if the Knicks didn't have Amare on the books. And Melo just wanted out no matter what at the time and he wanted NY

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
I somehow doubt a Melo and George Karl reunion is in the cards. I wouldn't bother making an offer.

Would that stop the Kings owner though? Lol

72 Wins
02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Options are limited due to the no trade clause and La La. She's not going to Utah.

S.L.ugger
02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
What package could the Wizards put together for Melo? After Durant doesn't sign with them, I can see them pushing their chips to the table for Melo.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-05-2016, 04:53 PM
From the Bulls

Noah's expiring (13.4 million)
Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)
Rights to Kings 2016 pick (top 10 protected)
Rights to Bulls 2017 pick

for Melo

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 05:02 PM
From the Bulls

Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)

for Melo

I mean that's an enticing offer IMO. I question if Melo waives that clause to go to the Bulls though, meaning does he consider him + Bulls a legit contender? They'd be close but I'm not sure that team is even coming out of the east.

Whereas Miami, I think Melo would buy into him + Wade + Bosh could possibly reach the finals at least (even if that's not the case). Of course this is me completely speculating, so...

btw Lala in Utah sounds like a pretty funny reality show to me

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 05:16 PM
From the Bulls

Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)

for Melo

There's a couple articles stating both Pau and Noah wanna comeback to Bulls with new contracts. But in best interests of the Bulls would be to look elsewhere if I was them. What about Gibson instead of Noah? Maybe take out Kings pick and replace with Portis? So then Knicks have Gibson, Mirotic, McDermott, Portis. Didn't check salaries if close or not.

Maybe have to throw in dead weight contract. Deals leave the Bulls a bit thin though. Also Noah getting injured before trade deadline didn't help the Bulls cause at all. Still hard to get equal value in return for big name trades. Usually one team lucks out in the end. Usually the team trading out the super star yet though Melo aging.

If Melo waived his no trade clause Celtics could offer up expiring David Lee and any of the soon to be RFA's and some late picks. Not sure they part with Net picks or not but who knows with Ainge? Celtics do have to consolidate though. They got like 8 picks this draft? 5 second rounder's alone I think. Also like 12 guys under contract or RFA. So something has to give at trade deadline or draft night. Some big deal.

CarolinaCDM
From the Bulls

Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)

for Melo

LMAO WTF bro....you must NEVER repeat such craziness!

Why not throw Jimmy B in there while youre at it...

At MAXIMUM, Id do Noah, McDermott and future 1st/2nd depending on how many games he plays

S.L.ugger
From the Bulls

Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)

for Melo

Sign me up. I don't know If I would want Mirotic n McDermot; probably switch some stuff around.

Tony_Starks
02-05-2016, 05:23 PM
From the Bulls

Mirotic (5.5 million)
McDermott (2.3 million)

for Melo

That's a really bad trade idea for the Bulls.

Like, remarkably bad.

JWO35
02-05-2016, 05:32 PM
If the Knicks wanted a **** load of cap space this trade with Detroit works
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zbq5gbu

DET gets: Carmelo Anthony
NYK gets: Brandon Jennings(expiring), Ersan Ilyasova(team option), and Anthony Tolliver(expiring)

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
If the Knicks wanted a **** load of cap space this trade with Detroit works
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zbq5gbu

DET gets: Carmelo Anthony
NYK gets: Brandon Jennings(expiring), Ersan Ilyasova(team option), and Anthony Tolliver(expiring)

I'd want a couple firsts to go with that. Melo would be a HUGE help to the Pistons and you know that damn well. I don't see him being open to going there tho.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 05:41 PM
What package could the Wizards put together for Melo? After Durant doesn't sign with them, I can see them pushing their chips to the table for Melo.

Hard to say cause most likely they wanna have Melo added to the core of Wall and Beal. So after that not much left. Gortat or Nene or Porter or Oubre. I believe they have all their first round picks but still. Not really that great of trading partner especially if Knicks have to take back a Gortat or Nene. Well guess Nene is a expiring contract so he be a throw in to get salaries close to Melo's. Seems like most of the Wizards expire this summer or are nonguaranteed next season. So they probably still have hopes for Durant. Doubt he goes there though.

JWO35
02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
I'd want a couple firsts to go with that. Melo would be a HUGE help to the Pistons and you know that damn well. I don't see him being open to going there tho.

If I was the Pistons GM I wouldn't mind surrendering this year's first round pick unprotected to sweeten the deal...I'm probably in the minority among Piston fans, but a Big 3 of Reggie, Melo, and Drummond would be deadly IMO.

I do agree with you, Melo probably wouldn't waive his NTC for Detroit because even with him we probably would be anywhere between 2nd-4th in the East.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 05:48 PM
^^ well I def agree Reggie/Melo/Drummond would be beastly.

I also think Stanley Johnson fits nicely with that trio. I was pretty impressed by Johnson last night.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 05:49 PM
^^^ in fact I'd want Johnson back in that deal! lol

kozelkid
02-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Bulls would actually be a pretty logical trade partner. Something around Rose and Melo, especially if it were done next year when Rose becomes an expiring contract.

Knicks get to clear their books for the 2017 FA and really commit their team to Porzingis then, while Bulls (depending on their moves), might consider giving it a shot around Butler and Melo (and whatever else they manage to obtain this offseason).

Granted long term, no matter who trades for Melo, it'll probably bite said team in the ***. But given the lack of longterm assets that Bulls currently hold, it might be a risk worth taking for them.

HeartOfStarks
02-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Rose can't be the centerpiece of a deal for Melo though, Knicks ain't gonna have interest in that

J_M_B
02-05-2016, 06:27 PM
The only way I can see Melo to Miami is if NY gets some kind of verbal commitment from Whiteside that he'll resign (there's probably a rule against this)

but from a straight personnel view, I can't see Riley giving up Winslow. He's already become Miami most versatile and best wing defender, plus without a few first rounders over the next 5 years he's basically become the bridge to the next era of Heat basketball.

I would offer

Whiteside (981k expiring)
Deng (10.1M expiring)
McRoberts (5.7M, 2 yrs remaining)
Birdman (5M expiring)

If NY wants more then so be it, but that's the best I can see Miami doing

KnicksorBust
02-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I would love a young PG but it doesn't seem like that is in the cards.

KnicksorBust
02-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Rubio for Melo who says no first? Twolves, Knicks or Melo?

Gibby23
02-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Rubio for Melo who says no first? Twolves, Knicks or Melo?

Maybe everyone involved at the same time

nysportsfan23
02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Melo would want a big/flashy market and a chance to contend. Clippers, Heat, Bulls seem to be the logical possibilities. Heat and Bulls don't really make sense from Knicks perspective, Melo for griffin is probably the only logical deal.

Chronz
02-05-2016, 07:53 PM
But the cap math has to work. My team couldn't get Melo cuz we lack the youth for a proper rebuild

NYKalltheway
02-05-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't understand why Melo gets the blame game from some Knicks fans. The guy has no help, what do you want him to do? Score 60 and be an unstoppable defensive force?

Pierzynski4Prez
02-05-2016, 08:16 PM
LMAO WTF bro....you must NEVER repeat such craziness!

Why not throw Jimmy B in there while youre at it...

At MAXIMUM, Id do Noah, McDermott and future 1st/2nd depending on how many games he plays

Nice, Except your trade proposal is impossible as Bulls need to send at least 20 million in salary back to be close enough to match Melo's salary. If Rose doesn't go, which most would assume neither would agree to, we have to send 3-4 players over. Noah could be bought out, only to sign back this summer in Chicago.

That kings pick could easily end up a 2nd round pick, and a Bulls pick that would look to be early to mid 20s.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
There's a couple articles stating both Pau and Noah wanna comeback to Bulls with new contracts. But in best interests of the Bulls would be to look elsewhere if I was them. What about Gibson instead of Noah? Maybe take out Kings pick and replace with Portis? So then Knicks have Gibson, Mirotic, McDermott, Portis. Didn't check salaries if close or not.

Maybe have to throw in dead weight contract. Deals leave the Bulls a bit thin though. Also Noah getting injured before trade deadline didn't help the Bulls cause at all. Still hard to get equal value in return for big name trades. Usually one team lucks out in the end. Usually the team trading out the super star yet though Melo aging.

If Melo waived his no trade clause Celtics could offer up expiring David Lee and any of the soon to be RFA's and some late picks. Not sure they part with Net picks or not but who knows with Ainge? Celtics do have to consolidate though. They got like 8 picks this draft? 5 second rounder's alone I think. Also like 12 guys under contract or RFA. So something has to give at trade deadline or draft night. Some big deal.
Getting salaries to match without Noah or Rose is about impossible.

LOb0
02-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Celtics will give any 2 players on the roster and the choice between 2017 or 2018 Nets pick

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 09:09 PM
He is still a very good player and his contract is bad but so are all NBA contracts... No reason for the sixers to take him... The bulls though might really be able to use him.... Bulls/Dallas would be ideal situations.

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I don't understand why Melo gets the blame game from some Knicks fans. The guy has no help, what do you want him to do? Score 60 and be an unstoppable defensive force?

Pretty much on point. I am not huge on Melo and his defense but he has tried to mold his game to whatever the knicks need this year and has shown to be pretty loyal.. He seems to be on the decline but is still a top 25 player in basketball in my opinion. He does need some more help though and how terribad porz has been for a good chunk of this year is not helping melo any at all.

Trading Melo would be stupid in my opinion because it would kill porz progression... Most of the attention is on melo... take melo from the team and they focus all their attention on Porz... He would have his legs cut out from him before he has had any time to grow... Porz is in an ideal situation playing with a superstar who commands attention like melo does.

GiantsSwaGG
02-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Getting salaries to match without Noah or Rose is about impossible.

Bulls: Melo + Jose Calderon

Knicks: McDermott + Taj Gibson + Kirk Hirnich and 2 1st round picks

NYSpirit1
02-05-2016, 09:25 PM
I don't know why everyone acts like this is so hard. There's many EASY scenarios at play that multiple, contending big market teams would love:

Cavs get Melo, Celtics get Love, Knicks get David Lee and Brooklyn's 2016 1st
Clippers get Melo, Celtics get Griffin, Knicks get David Lee and Brooklyn's 2016 1st
Heat get Melo, Knicks get Winslow, Deng, McRoberts and future picks
Bulls get Melo, Knicks get Mirotic, Portis and Noah and future picks

ALL of those trades are totally plausible. The Cavs clearly don't like the Love fit. The Clippers are very frustrated with Griffin. Paul would jump at the chance to play with Melo. And all of those teams would agree to those trades.

The Celtics especially, they add Love OR Griffin to a team that's already 29-21 by only giving up one draft pick and no rotation players.

The only team holding this up here is the Knicks, who don't have the balls to do something right now. Although, I have no idea why. If you can entice a three way with the Clippers/Celtics or Cavs/Celtics, land yourself a top 5 pick in this year's draft to pair with Porzingis, you literally have your head up your *** not to do it.

kozelkid
02-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Rose can't be the centerpiece of a deal for Melo though, Knicks ain't gonna have interest in that

Melo's value is only going down as his contract goes up and his play continues to decline. I'm sure Knicks wouldn't mind getting out of that contract and get the flexibility to start building around their new star.

kozelkid
02-05-2016, 10:02 PM

Salaries don't match. Rose would need to be added. Again, I think this would make great sense after this season when Rose becomes a massive expiring.

kozelkid
02-05-2016, 10:04 PM
I don't know why everyone acts like this is so hard. There's many EASY scenarios at play that multiple, contending big market teams would love:

Cavs get Melo, Celtics get Love, Knicks get David Lee and Brooklyn's 2016 1st
Clippers get Melo, Celtics get Griffin, Knicks get David Lee and Brooklyn's 2016 1st
Heat get Melo, Knicks get Winslow, Deng, McRoberts and future picks
Bulls get Melo, Knicks get Mirotic, Portis and Noah and future picks

ALL of those trades are totally plausible. The Cavs clearly don't like the Love fit. The Clippers are very frustrated with Griffin. Paul would jump at the chance to play with Melo. And all of those teams would agree to those trades.

The Celtics especially, they add Love OR Griffin to a team that's already 29-21 by only giving up one draft pick and no rotation players.

The only team holding this up here is the Knicks, who don't have the balls to do something right now. Although, I have no idea why. If you can entice a three way with the Clippers/Celtics or Cavs/Celtics, land yourself a top 5 pick in this year's draft to pair with Porzingis, you literally have your head up your *** not to do it.

You're kidding yourself if you think you're getting any package close to that for a player who will be 32 by the end of this season and will still have over 75mil left to be paid.

nysportsfan23
02-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Idk about a trade for Brooklyn's pick, drafts a one player draft, Simmons and then a massive drop off. The heat and Bulls trades seem unrealistic. Still think griffin for Melo makes most sense. Melo goes to his offseason home, plays with Paul. Griffin forms a tandem with Porzingis. Griffin contract is less and shorter, gives Knicks flexibility as well.

europagnpilgrim
02-05-2016, 10:22 PM
He was like 28 then at his highest value. It would have been ok if the Knicks didn't have Amare on the books. And Melo just wanted out no matter what at the time and he wanted NY

So the Knicks agreed to trade four of their top six players, realizing there were few chances to add a player of Anthony's caliber to one like Stoudemire.

melo was around 26yrs old since the deal was in early 2011 and he is like now 31 or so and now he wants out basically being in the same situation now, i'm not talking about his value i'm speaking on how he gutted the team of its starters as the poster said who I was actually responding to, but of course his value was higher 5 yrs ago as to now on backside of 30, behind closed doors im sure he wants out now but he pushed his way to knicks so its not that easy, especially with a proven winner(coaching wise at least) in phil running the show

only time will tell and always be careful what you wish for, no matter what

Pierzynski4Prez
02-05-2016, 10:36 PM

You're still about 10 million off on the Bulls side.

redsoxknicks
02-05-2016, 10:40 PM
I want to thank most everyone on this thread for focusing on the question and it not disintegrating into flame wars.

There have been a few trade scenarios that wouldn't fly, but mostly everyone has kept it to a good discussion. Carry on.

I feel bad that Melo has mostly been a good guy, just not in the right situation, for his prime years. This year he finally is showing his other skills, and the more he has done this, the better we are. Of course ever since he missed a few games after the ref vs Boston got in his way, we have not nearly been the same team, but that's another story.

mudvayne387
02-05-2016, 11:36 PM
I wish Dallas had their pick this year because I'd love a deal worked around Parsons/Powell.

Also, I'd love if the Knicks could work something out with Boston but I'm not sure he would accept a trade there.

Anthony/Calderon for Crowder/Lee/Nets pick seems pretty fair.

Knicks get cap relief and a starter plus a 1st rounder.

Celtics get a true #1 scoring option to pair with Thomas and keep most of their team in tact.

Kyben36
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Bulls might do something like Noah ( cap space) Dougy, Tony Snell, Kirk Hinrich + Kings pick and maybe one of our picks between this and next. its really not a good offer, but bulls cant give much else up. Bobby portis maybe but we lack bigs right now since Noah went out. Niko maybe as well, but i would rather hold on to him becaues he is our future PF more than likely, even with strugles.

Kyben36
02-06-2016, 12:10 AM
You're still about 10 million off on the Bulls side.

you could throw in Noah, but the bulls then have a real lack of bigs, and not a single one who can play Defense.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-06-2016, 12:15 AM
you could throw in Noah, but the bulls then have a real lack of bigs, and not a single one who can play Defense.
Adding Noah into any deal doesn't hurt that whatsoever.

KnicksorBust
02-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Bulls seem like the best trade partner. Get Phil on the phone PSD has solved another crisis. Would love to see them go to war with the Cavs with Rose Butler Melo - Pau.

IndyRealist
02-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I wish Dallas had their pick this year because I'd love a deal worked around Parsons/Powell.

Also, I'd love if the Knicks could work something out with Boston but I'm not sure he would accept a trade there.

Anthony/Calderon for Crowder/Lee/Nets pick seems pretty fair.

Knicks get cap relief and a starter plus a 1st rounder.

Celtics get a true #1 scoring option to pair with Thomas and keep most of their team in tact.

While I'm not a Celtics fan, I'd rather keep Crowder and the pick. Calderon's redundant with what they already have, and Crowder earns nothing but praise from everyone.

IndyRealist
02-06-2016, 02:06 PM
The only way I can see Melo to Miami is if NY gets some kind of verbal commitment from Whiteside that he'll resign (there's probably a rule against this)

but from a straight personnel view, I can't see Riley giving up Winslow. He's already become Miami most versatile and best wing defender, plus without a few first rounders over the next 5 years he's basically become the bridge to the next era of Heat basketball.

I would offer

Whiteside (981k expiring)
Deng (10.1M expiring)
McRoberts (5.7M, 2 yrs remaining)
Birdman (5M expiring)

If NY wants more then so be it, but that's the best I can see Miami doing

There is no rule against verbal commitments, but they are not legally binding. If the guy changes his mind before signing the contract, too bad so sad. (See DeAndre Jordan this summer).

IBleedPurple
02-06-2016, 07:15 PM
I don't see LaLa waiving the NTC, so not sure if there are any options.

Bostonjorge
02-07-2016, 03:19 PM
I got if figured out. First Boston gets the Howard trade done.

Boston sends

Boston 1st
Dallas 1st
Lee expiring
Rozier

Then trade for Melo

Boston sends

Minnesota 1st
Amir Johnson
Tuner

Boston is not to far from NY so Melo can stay close to home. Boston can then take over the east and make James quit on Cleveland once again.

C Howard
PF Melo
SF crowder
SG Bradley
PG Thomas

kobe4thewinbang
02-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Only plausible team that we know interests Carmelo is Chicago, as he said he had a change of heart before really wanting to go there in the off-season. Dunno what Chicago would offer. Maybe this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zz44frv

I can't see the Bulls or Knicks exchanging Rose which would almost be a straight-up salary match, and Bulls like that Portis kid and I can't see them trading Joakim. So, Gasol, Mirotic, shooter prospect and Brooks.

But honestly? With Jimmy Butler on the rise, Melo would be a bad fit unless he really learns to defer with Rose and Butler generally shooting it up.

Lakers, though, Kobe and Carmelo said it'd be fun to play together, Kobe wouldn't be there and he'd just be the new Kobe, taking away touches from the young bucks and swallowing the new cap space LA waited to have.

goingfor28
02-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Nothing

Sandman
02-08-2016, 12:38 AM
Would the Cavs consider a Love for Melo swap?

Melo would probably be OK with going to the Cavs.