PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training

Station 13
02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo Feb 3
Porcello, Buchholz, Barnes, Workman, Moncada, Bradley Jr., and Vazquez have all been spotted

celticsman2009
02-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Where is everyone? Sox forum has been dead for weeks now. This makes me sad. I'm excited to get this season underway.

RedSoxtober
02-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Seeing this and my brain started playing that Sesame Street game "One of these things is not like the other..."

RedSoxtober
02-09-2016, 02:02 PM
With Milford’s Al Hartz behind the wheel, a 53-foot truck will be loaded starting at 7 a.m. before leaving Fenway Park for the 1,480-mile trip to JetBlue Park in Fort Myers. Wally the Green Monster, along with his newly unveiled sister Tessie, will lead the parade on a flatbed truck.

In case you were wondering what will be on board …

— 20,400 baseballs
— 1,100 bats
— 200 batting gloves
— 200 batting helmets
— 320 batting practice tops
— 160 white game jerseys
— 300 pairs of pants
— 400 T-shirts
— 400 pairs of socks
— 20 cases of bubble gum
— 60 cases of sunflower seedsweei.com

celticsman2009
02-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Who is the biggest surprise player of the season/ biggest bust. Comeback player?

j-bay
02-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Our ace is here!
@DAVIDprice24

First day at #JetBlue was great!! Wow what a complex we have here!! #redsoxnation

Station 13
02-09-2016, 09:27 PM
weei.com

Why don't they order those stuff to be ship to jetblue in the first place. Saves hellevua all that trouble transporting it 1000 miles+ away.

RedSoxtober
02-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Why don't they order those stuff to be ship to jetblue in the first place. Saves hellevua all that trouble transporting it 1000 miles+ away.

They didn't sign up for Amazon Prime?

Station 13
02-10-2016, 08:45 AM
They didn't sign up for Amazon Prime?

An Amazon Prime membership is too rich after spending $200M for Price.

Station 13
02-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Who is the biggest surprise player of the season/ biggest bust. Comeback player?

surprise: Kelly
Bust: Castillo
comeback: Hanley (hitting wise. his defense is garbage)

ManRam
02-10-2016, 01:09 PM

I think having a couple guys drive a truck with every thing you need is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering all that stuff online or whatever and paying those shipping costs. Plus, I'd imagine a lot of it is stuff they already possess and have to ship on their own anyways.

Every team has a truck. It's gotta be practical.

Station 13
02-10-2016, 05:50 PM
I think having a couple guys drive a truck with every thing you need is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering all that stuff online or whatever and paying those shipping costs. Plus, I'd imagine a lot of it is stuff they already possess and have to ship on their own anyways.

They do it every year. I suppose some of them are old stuff, but wouldn't it be much cheaper just to have a set of baseball gears stored at Jetblue? Bahh whatever.

RedSoxtober
02-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Businesses get stuff drop-shipped to separate locations all the time. It's no more or less expensive at the bulk they're ordering. It's probably just a combination of a bunch of things not the least of which is the over-hyped "truck day" tradition.

RedSoxtober
02-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Watching Rodriguez throw, Price said he first noticed the “explosiveness” of his pitches.

“He already has a changeup and I feel like at such a young age that’s a huge pitch to already have in his arsenal,” Price said. “He’ll keep working with stuff, keep tinkering with stuff. He’s already sat me down two or three times. We’ve talked about pitching. I’ve watched video with him. I’m happy he wants to learn and I’ll teach him all I know.”

Both lefties throw an average fastball of about 95 mph, but Price at 23 and Rodriguez at 22 aren’t exactly a matching pair.

“He’s much further than along than I was when I was his age,” Price said. “I didn’t throw changeups then. Everything was fastball-slider. He’s trying to mix in a couple different things, give a couple different looks with a slider and a cutter. I think he’s further advanced than I was.”Boston Herald

Whatever happens after the third year of Price's contract, his present production and this particular mentoring relationships will likely make it worthwhile.

bagwell368
02-16-2016, 11:39 PM
Boston Herald

Whatever happens after the third year of Price's contract, his present production and this particular mentoring relationships will likely make it worthwhile.

Hope so, because other moves will prove to suck, so we need the good ones to backfill those others.

BoSox47
02-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Best case scenario is that Price has an outstanding three seasons and the prices in the pitching market continue to climb to the point where he feels he could opt out and get more on the open market than.

RedSoxtober
02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Looks like HanRam listened to DD. He is obviously in the Best Shape of His Career (TM).

j-bay
02-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Best case scenario is that Price has an outstanding three seasons and the prices in the pitching market continue to climb to the point where he feels he could opt out and get more on the open market than.

This but at the same time i think worse case scenario (Besides injury or not doing so well) is Price stays, remains a solid 12-14 win pitcher, and would be the leader of the clubhouse along with Pedroia.

bagwell368
02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
This but at the same time i think worse case scenario (Besides injury or not doing so well) is Price stays, remains a solid 12-14 win pitcher, and would be the leader of the clubhouse along with Pedroia.

Pedroia a leader? Not much longer I'm afraid, you have to be a regular to be a leader, and Pedroia's health is running out. I doubt he has more than 400 games left in his career. Great player but his playing style has really hurt his longevity.

Station 13
02-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Looks like HanRam listened to DD. He is obviously in the Best Shape of His Career (TM).

He didn't even bring his 1B glove. hardcore.

This has a Buccholz feel to it, you know it probably won't work.

RedSoxtober
02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Just three days into his training at first base, Hanley Ramirez has already decided that the position isn’t that difficult.

“I don’t know what the difference is between short and first,” he said. “Not everybody can play short. Most likely a lot of people can play first.”Boston Herald

Sounds nice and all but it strikes me as overconfident, which in turn worries me. HanRam's got a reputation for not putting in hard work and this sounds like he could be heading down that path.

papipapsmanny
02-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Pedroia a leader? Not much longer I'm afraid, you have to be a regular to be a leader, and Pedroia's health is running out. I doubt he has more than 400 games left in his career. Great player but his playing style has really hurt his longevity.

You Think Pedroia has less than 2.5 season's worth of games left in him..... That is a little absurd

-Lavigne43-
02-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Jason Mastrodonato ‏@JMastrodonato 2h2 hours ago
Pablo Sandoval said he has nothing to prove, last year was not a disappointment and the Red Sox did not ask him to lose weight.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2h2 hours ago
Sandoval claimed he was not asked to lose weight. Dombrowski, Farrell, Lovello all on the record over time saying he was.

Sandoval is such a joke. Everyone piles on Hanley and focuses on trading Hanley, but Sandoval's way worse. At least Hanley gets in shape and cares about his offense. Hanley showed up huge last year, but it was all muscle in an attempt to have more power at LF. Sandoval just doesn't give a ****, and it was obvious he wasn't going to give a **** once he got his fat contract.

j-bay
02-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Pablo Sandoval said he has nothing to prove, last year was not a disappointment and the Red Sox did not ask him to lose weight.

Sandoval claimed he was not asked to lose weight. Dombrowski, Farrell, Lovello all on the record over time saying he was.

Sandoval is such a joke. Everyone piles on Hanley and focuses on trading Hanley, but Sandoval's way worse. At least Hanley gets in shape and cares about his offense. Hanley showed up huge last year, but it was all muscle in an attempt to have more power at LF. Sandoval just doesn't give a ****, and it was obvious he wasn't going to give a **** once he got his fat contract.

Question about that. Anybody think Hanley was afraid of playing LF after he hit the wall. He said after that event he ****ed up his shoulder pretty bad and it effected his swing. I also wonder if it effected him mentally.

bagwell368
02-21-2016, 06:01 PM
You Think Pedroia has less than 2.5 season's worth of games left in him..... That is a little absurd

I didn't give the specifics. He'll play more games than that, but he'll suck. SUCK. I called the start of his decline in 2010. It's accelerating. He will be in less than 400 games be putting up numbers well below the WAR $ of his contract. Specific enough for you?

Weren't you a Crawford guy BTW?

Vincent33
02-21-2016, 11:31 PM
I saw that clickbait tweet from Mastranado. Here's a bit more in context from the article:

Asked early in the interview if he felt like he had something to prove this year, his second in a five-year, $95-million deal that began with his worst season as a major leaguer, he remained stoic.

"No, I don't got nothing to prove,” he said. “I just prepare myself to perform well, for my teammates to perform well, to try to get to the World Series. That's what I'm doing. I put some goals in my mind, and I'm working hard to get it done on the field."

Later in the interview, he was again asked if he had something to prove and changed his answer.

“Yeah, I want to prove to the fans, I want to prove to my teammates that I can be a better defensive player, offensive player, to, you know, win games,” he said. “So I have to improve, have to work hard, to get to that moment.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2016/02/something_to_prove_pablo_sandoval_flip_flops_on_th at_notion

But still, dude doesn't look any better physically. Especially from this pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbxGiT7WAAAAxJp.jpg:large

JackB
02-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Question about that. Anybody think Hanley was afraid of playing LF after he hit the wall. He said after that event he ****ed up his shoulder pretty bad and it effected his swing. I also wonder if it effected him mentally.

My question is who sits when the Sox play NL teams away? No DH

TragicallyHip
02-22-2016, 09:23 AM

Is there any bigger POS in the bigs than Sandoval, right now? There isn't anyone in my beer league that's as fat as this clown.

If he doesn't perform, they need to cut his *** and plug Shaw in to remove the distraction. I know 53.8M is a lot to swallow, but sometimes it's worth it to remove the cancer and I believe this is one of those situations.

RedSoxtober
02-22-2016, 10:18 AM

No, he was already playing LF poorly. I remember stories out of ST last year describing his lack of effort to learn his new position and his discomfort near the wall -- which is at least simulated in "Fenway South."

That lack of effort is what worries me about his transition to 1B as well; he took the weekend off after telling everyone how easy it was going to be to play 1B. The workouts are optional so laying low was his right, but it's also a barometer to his intensity/focus.

My question is who sits when the Sox play NL teams away? No DH

During his swan song season Ortiz will play at least one game in every NL series and probably at least two. If HanRam is hitting this season then matchups (opposing LHP?) will probably dictate the rest.

otatop
02-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Sandoval is such a joke. Everyone piles on Hanley and focuses on trading Hanley, but Sandoval's way worse. At least Hanley gets in shape and cares about his offense.
You kind of answered your own question, Hanley still has value that might get you something in a trade. Even if you can trade Sandoval you're probably going to have to eat a bunch of his contract to get a team to take him off your hands.

bagwell368
02-25-2016, 08:30 AM
17% body fat? Sorry to say that I'm 26% and he's more obese than I am - easily.

BoSox47
03-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Pedroia has missed at least 21 games 3 of the last 5 seasons. With his health deteriorating, I would be surprised to see him be effective for more than 400 more games. He also turns 33 in august so by the time he plays 400 more games he will be 36 or close to it.

RedSoxtober
03-03-2016, 04:19 PM
FWIW, just checking the retired players on his similarity scores through age 31 might be helpful. There are 8 players who have retired. On average they had 8200PA/1930G in their careers. However, they fell into three pretty distinct groups: retired at 32/33, 36, and 41. The two on the upper end (Biggio and Molitor) spent some time in less physically demanding positions (OF/DH) as a means of extending their time. The group in the middle (half his list) retired at 36 with 7500PA/1550G.

If that's at all informative, then I'd guess that we'll see him hanging onto the end of his contract (age 37 season in 2021) and that we'll regret it. We will likely not see much more productive years past his age 34 season. He'll be around but not a leader except by reputation.

bagwell368
03-04-2016, 09:10 PM
^ Good job digging.

Some of those 10 players don't fit well IMO. I looked at the JAWS 2B list from #10-#30. I know most of these players from watching them or reading about them. Pedroia IMO is the most physically reckless of all of them. A guy like Tony Phillips lasted a long time, but, he didn't play a lot when he was young, and then became a super sub type player but was healthier and not as reckless as Pedey.

Pedroia has been going downhill since his age 27 season. He'll be hanging on as a bench guy or retired by his age 35 season - with frequent days off and some DL trips along the way.

Station 13
03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Swihart's and Shaw got a huge game yesterday, Swihart is smoking line drives after line drives, just as he did the final 10 weeks of 2015. Panda looks brutal, out of shape. It's the same figure that struggles last year. Hope his split vs LHP changes fortunes.

Soxfan85
03-10-2016, 11:30 PM
David Price yielded two runs in three innings Thursday against the Twins in his spring debut.
The runs came on back-to-back homers from Eduardo Escobar and Kurt Suzuki in the second inning. That's as many homers as Price had allowed in 42 1/3 innings over the last two springs combined.

Roto

RedSoxtober
03-11-2016, 12:47 PM
We have to do what’s right by the player,” Farrell said. “You have to manage the situation for six, seven, potentially eight months rather than seven days. The one thing that we want to do is make sure the progression or the foundation is as strong as it possibly can be for the remainder of the season. We have to go by how the player is responding to whatever ailment he’s dealing with. We can’t shortcut that or short-circuit it, because there is a date on the calendar that’s nearing.

He will throw 90-100 feet again today,” Farrell noted. “The swelling has been controlled. Through repetition he has gained some confidence on his landing leg, his right leg, which was effected by the knee issues. Still no time-frame or date to get him back on the mound yet.

“There would be multiple bullpen sessions. If we got him in to see some hitters, that’s a possibility. We’ve kind of held off mapping out anything beyond what his first bullpen would be and we’re not even thereweei.com

When you start talking about managing for 6-8 months then it sounds a lot like you're planning on having a short term replacement for him and easing him back in. It's not completely out of the question that they could use early off-days to manage around his spot but that may not buy them enough time to get him into the rotation unless he's throwing in the next week or so.

Bo Sox Fan
03-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Despite being a natural 1st baseman, Shaw looks legitimate on both sides of the ball at 3rd. What a waste to relegate him to the bench and what a disgrace that Pablo Sandoval exists.

Buy him out.

Green_Monster
03-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Obviously it's just spring training, but I believe Travis Shaw will have a nice year. He just makes good contact so often and has a nice swing. It wouldn't surprise me if he outplays Sandoval, again.

BSF101
03-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Can we please get rid of Rick Pocelblow before the season starts.

RedSoxtober
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Despite being a natural 1st baseman, Shaw looks legitimate on both sides of the ball at 3rd. What a waste to relegate him to the bench and what a disgrace that Pablo Sandoval exists.

Buy him out.

Not sure why you consider him a "natural 1st baseman." Can you explain? He played 3B in college and was moved to 1B by the Sox in the minors. He has the arm strength for 3B but may not be athletic enough to pull off 3B in the majors long term.

Him hitting right now, albeit ST, is a great problem for the Sox to have given the uncertainty of the two corner IFs. I could see it easing the decision to pull HanRam for a defensively superior player in late innings because you may not necessarily give up too much offensively, for example.

Station 13
03-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Shaw hits lefties well, so he will get games while Panda eats bench.

bagwell368
03-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Shaw hits lefties well, so he will get games while Panda eats bench.

And then Panda can be a key PH in those games... <snort>

celticsman2009
03-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Shaw could see some time in LF as Castillo blows. What a waste of money.

Soxfan85
03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
@alexspeier
Kimbrel was at 97 mph with his fastball and a breaking ball whose usage is borderline criminal in spring training games. Perfect inning.

Bo Sox Fan
03-15-2016, 08:06 PM
@alexspeier
Kimbrel was at 97 mph with his fastball and a breaking ball whose usage is borderline criminal in spring training games. Perfect inning.

And then Robbie Ross Jr. came in and completely blew up what was an outstanding day on the mound from Price/Kimbrel/Tazawa/Smith.

So much for that close game.

Soxfan85
03-15-2016, 08:14 PM
And then Robbie Ross Jr. came in and completely blew up what was an outstanding day on the mound from Price/Kimbrel/Tazawa/Smith.

So much for that close game.

Either DFA or sent him to AAA. He plain su*ks!

RedSoxtober
03-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez will throw 20-25 pitches off a mound on Wednesday after back-to-back days of long toss, and manager John Farrell said the team should have a clearer picture of his potential availability to open the season.

“That’s probably going to tell us a lot,” Farrell said.

Rodriguez, who injured the patellar tendon in his right knee after falling while shagging fly balls on Feb. 27, is running out of time to be ready for the start of the season. Asked if Rodriguez would need to throw twice off a mound before appearing in a game, Farrell said, “it’s very easy to say it’s more than a couple.”weei.com

RedSoxtober
03-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Heading into spring training, Ramirez expressed trepidation at needing to reach across first base to tag a runner on an errant throw. He got that opportunity on Tuesday and made the play, snaring a high throw from third baseman Pablo Sandoval and slapping a tag on Rob Refsnyder in the fourth.

“Just let it happen,” Ramirez said after the game. “Just react. Let your instincts take over.”

Manager John Farrell credited Ramirez with making another play on a grounder down the line where he took a drop step, rather than getting caught in between.

“He’s doing the small things around the bag that are very encouraging,” Farrell said. “We talked about it before the game, the progress he’s making, the comfortable feeling he gives you playing the position. He’s in good shape right now. He likes playing there, he’s having fun and he’s doing well.”weei.com

Soxfan85
03-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Red Sox manager John Farrell hinted that Pablo Sandoval will have to earn playing time this season.
Farrell is putting Sandoval on notice after a poor first season in Boston. "As he's aware, the work has to translate to performance," said Farrell. "He understands this is about putting the best team on the field from Day 1." Sandoval got off to an extremely slow start this spring but has bounced back with seven hits in his last 17 at-bats. Brock Holt and Travis Shaw will both see more action at the hot corner if Panda can't deliver the goods.
Scott Lauber

If JF does this would be awesome. Shaw busting his as* off at ST I know games dont count. And Fatso cant do crap. I wanna see if this happens.

Station 13
03-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Pablo has look bad this spring. His defense is shot.

Station 13
03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Kelly has pitch quite well. Price will be Price.

The rest of the rotation is quite unpredictable. Clay looks like he is just procrastinating. I cannot wait for him to play somewhere else.

bagwell368
03-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Pablo has look bad this spring. His defense is shot.

If he cuts about 17 lbs off, he could rise to somewhat below average. Cut off one stuffed sausage sub a day, and do 2 miles of roadwork a day and he's there by opening day.

Since he's a pathetic piece of crap, he would make a classic 'cut the bum' candidate. Too bad the Sox are worried about not milking that .3 WAR they want to get out of him the remainder of the contract. Screw 'em. Cut his fat lard azz.

RedSoxtober
03-22-2016, 09:58 AM
I don't much care who's out there as long as they're performing. That said, Panda's "What me, worry?" attitude seems to be completely tone deaf and won't play as well in BOS as it did with SFG.

Bo Sox Fan
03-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Carson Smith & Eduardo Rodriguez to start the season on the 15 day DL.

And it has already begun. Buchholz your on deck, then things will look real pretty.

Price
Porcelblow
Kelly
Owens
Wright

World Series!!! FML

RedSoxtober
03-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Um, hm. If the season is lost because Edro is not ready to go for the first month or so then there was no real point in getting excited about this team anyway. Maybe the reaction is just a tad over the top.

There's no doubt that the rotation continues to be a cause for concern. However, Kelly is still looking like the guy who spun off an 8-game win streak last year. He's taking some of the lightning off of his FB and focusing more on placement and finally trusting his offspeed stuff to get outs. His emergence does not necessarily fix things but it helps. AT LEAST one of Porcello/Kelly/Buchholz is going to have to take a step forward (Buchholz in terms of durability). Much more concerned about Porcello returning to a decent #3 than Kelly at this point; his results have been pretty mixed but I don't know his ST history.

As for Smith, yeah, it sucks. There's pretty strong depth out there though. I'm much less concerned about losing him for a period of time. Have you seen what Barnes has been doing? He may not have faced the stiffest competition but he's pounding the strike zone and missing bats right now. If he can sustain that for even a month then he might ease the (short-term) loss of Smith.

Personally, I'll wait until after Opening Day to jump off a bridge.

RedSoxtober
03-23-2016, 01:54 PM
"If competition makes us all better, than that's what is being fostered," the manager added. "A true open competition rather than one that is being perceived."

Farrell now has gotten the go-ahead to consider such moves.

“I think I’ve traditionally taken that approach,” Dombrowski told WEEI.com. “It’s funny, Jim Leyland would always say, ‘A player’s big contract would guarantee them one thing, that they had a bigger check to bring home every two weeks. It doesn’t guarantee them anything else other than that.’ Normally, you hope there is a correlation between the two.

"I thought it was important, because I’m new here, that that was my philosophy, and our philosophy as an organization, that I had a chance to visit with [principal owner] John Henry and [chairman] Tom Werner and know they supported that. I thought it was important to do that. I think for good organizations, and clubs that are trying to win, you need to play the best guys to win."weei.com

RedSoxtober
03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Travis Shaw will be the Red Sox starting third baseman on Thursday and will likely play the position over the next few days, perhaps giving him a leg up in his competition with Pablo Sandoval.

Sandoval will be out of action due to lower back stiffness suffered when he dove to make a backhanded play in a game two days ago, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.

Asked if he was concerned that Sandoval could begin the season on the disabled list, Farrell said, “not at this point.”

But Farrell has been adamant all spring that the players who will get regular at-bats will be those performing best in spring training. An injured back won’t help Sandoval’s case.

Sandoval spent most of Wednesday getting treatment on his back and will do the same on Thursday, Farrell said.

Shaw is hitting .450 with a 1.188 OPS. Sandoval is hitting .265 with an .864 OPS.Boston Herald

RedSoxtober
03-24-2016, 02:32 PM
The team announced pitchers Heath Hembree, Brian Johnson and Henry Owens have been optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket. Also, outfielder Ryan LaMarre, right-handed pitcher Roman Mendez and first baseman Sam Travis were reassigned to minor league camp.

With Owens being optioned to Triple-A it means the fifth starter’s job is officially down to Steven Wright and Roenis Elias.

In five games this spring, Owens has allowed eight earned runs in 13 1/3 innings. Travis was one of the Red Sox’ best hitters, as he was 15-for-28 in 17 games.weei.com

SfgiantsJD3
03-24-2016, 02:54 PM
I don't much care who's out there as long as they're performing. That said, Panda's "What me, worry?" attitude seems to be completely tone deaf and won't play as well in BOS as it did with SFG.

SF wanted to put weight clauses and off season stuff in the contract, Pablo wanted to be treated like an adult as he is in Boston. He probably gave someone his word that he would eat right and be in shape.

MG956
03-24-2016, 03:44 PM
SF wanted to put weight clauses and off season stuff in the contract, Pablo wanted to be treated like an adult as he is in Boston. He probably gave someone his word that he would eat right and be in shape.

I'm still trying to figure out why he is on our team. I really can't understand any logic that made him a good fit.

I think we were just in a place where some nimrods felt we had to do Something.

Except the same day Panda's signing was announced we announced signing Hanley. We had to have committed to Panda and then found out we could get a "deal" on Hanley.

I'm trying to think back to then what our needs were, besides PITCHING!, and this was before any of the kids proved themselves able.

It was also after a run of a few years of getting burned with almost every move we made, and having outstanding bad luck with injuries.

I do like that Panda thinks he has to compete for as spot on the 2016 Red sox. And I have zero problem if he doesn't make it.

RedSoxtober
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM

I don't doubt that the SFG FO was more concerned but the fan base is considerably more laid back and that's crucial for a player. The Red Sox fan base is not typically known for being gracious to players who are in a slump let alone poor producers who appear out of shape.

SfgiantsJD3
03-25-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't doubt that the SFG FO was more concerned but the fan base is considerably more laid back and that's crucial for a player. The Red Sox fan base is not typically known for being gracious to players who are in a slump let alone poor producers who appear out of shape.

I think part of it was he was a fan favorite that SF drafted and he succeeded and brought a lot of joy to the fans.
I think SF greatly benefited by not being able to come to terms with Pablo so we owe the Red Sox a thank you.

j-bay
03-26-2016, 01:56 PM
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- From the beginning of camp, the San Diego Padres have had a scout watching Red Sox prospects nearly every day on the minor league fields of the Fenway South complex.

"They love (the Red Sox) system,'' confirmed one major league talent evaluator.

That much was evident when the two teams got together last November in a five-player trade that netted the Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel.

Last week, that scout was joined by a supervisor, and together, their presence stirred talk that the Padres and Red Sox may be talking about a deal, as the Padres have reportedly signaled a willingness to move some of their starting pitching.

The Padres have told teams they'd be willing to move James Shields and, to make such a deal more appetizing, take back at least a portion of the $65 million owed him on a deal signed after the 2014 season.

Other starters -- including Tyson Ross -- are also said to be available for the right package of younger players.

But for now, it doesn't appear the Red Sox and Padres match up.

One industry source indicated that the Sox aren't looking to upgrade their rotation, despite some questions about the Boston starters beyond ace David Price.
http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/padres-keeping-eye-sox-prospects-camp

This is the 2nd trade rumor this week. The other one was the Indians, who love our outfielders.

papipapsmanny
03-26-2016, 05:44 PM
No to shields.... Unless its Pablo, Brian Johnson, and Marrero for Shields

Yes to something like Devers and Johnson for Tyson Ross

RedSoxtober
03-26-2016, 07:24 PM
http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/padres-keeping-eye-sox-prospects-camp

This is the 2nd trade rumor this week. The other one was the Indians, who love our outfielders.

End of ST is one of the more active trading periods so don't be surprised by the rumors. Most often, though, the guys that get moved are the losers of internal competitions (e.g., Murphy) and guys who've run out of options (e.g., Wright).

Station 13
03-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Murphy opts out his minor deal.

Betts and Bradley has done extremely well this spring. Castillo, not so much.

Bo Sox Fan
03-28-2016, 01:30 PM
And rice is white.

RedSoxtober
03-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Deven Marrero, the team's No. 9 prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Though the Red Sox like Marrero's defense, the presence of super-utility man Brock Holt doesn't provide any room for him on the roster.

Boston also reassigned Allen Craig, Josh Rutledge, Brennan Boesch, Dan Butler, Sandy Leon and Anthony Varvaro to Minor League camp, and Carlos Marmol was released.

Craig was once one of the top run producers in the National League, but hasn't been able to generate much offense at the Major League level since 2014. The Red Sox have a balance of $20 million on Craig's salary over the next two seasons, plus a $1 million buyout for his 2018 club option.

The veteran has a .323 batting average in Spring Training, but just one of his 10 hits has been for extra bases. Craig will remain in big league camp through the exhibition games in Montreal this weekend and will then report to Triple-A Pawtucket unless the Red Sox can work out a trade for him.

The Red Sox also announced that four players -- Carson Smith, Brandon Workman, Eduardo Rodriguez and Christian Vazquez-- will be placed on the disabled list before Opening Day. In all four cases, the announcements were expected.redsox.com

Soxfan85
03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Dave better find a way to get rid of Porcello. He is beyond garbage. Send him to the minors figure his shi* out.

Bo Sox Fan
03-28-2016, 05:23 PM
This roster is nothing more than a .500 team, give or take a handful of wins. If Price gets injured stick a fork in it. The future is definitely bright, but any instant success will continue to be delayed as long as names like Farrell, Porcello, Buchholz, Sandoval, Ramirez and Castillo are continually holding it back with consistent under performances and predictable injuries.

It's a shame to waste a year or 2 (or 3) of Bogaerts and Betts with those slugs mentioned above.

j-bay
03-28-2016, 09:30 PM
FORT MYERS, Fla. — There’s a San Diego Padres scout here taking a close look at Pablo Sandoval, post-back injury.

Does the story go beyond that?
It’s anyone‘s guess.

The Padres were one of the teams that offered Sandoval a contract in the winter of 2014 when he was a free agent, along with Boston and San Francisco. Sandoval spurned the Padres’ offer, which was thought to be slightly larger than the Giants’ and Red Sox’, to sign with Boston.

The Padres have had problems filling their third base void.

The fact that they are watching Sandoval the next couple of days — he went 0 for 3 in a minor league game Monday and is scheduled to start Tuesday for the first time since going down with back stiffness — may or may not mean anything, but they’re certainly leaving all options open.

The Padres have been open to trading veteran starter James Shields, who also has a big contract, in the right type of deal. The Red Sox and Orioles have been both linked to Shields, who went 13-7 with a 3.91 ERA last season and allowed a major league-high 33 homers.
Shields also is working on a streak of nine straight 200-inning seasons, the longest active one now that Mark Buehrle has retired.

Shields, 34, is a former Tampa Bay teammate of David Price, and the Red Sox lefthander credits Shields with mentoring him as a young pitcher.

Shields, who is 127-97 lifetime with a 3.74 ERA, has about $65 million remaining on his deal, which includes a $2 million buyout on his 2019 $16 million option. The Red Sox are on the hook with the 29-year-old Sandoval for $77.4 million, which includes a $5 million buyout of his $17 million option season in 2020.

The Padres would likely want a prospect in a deal for Shields since they’re trying to rebuild. Yangervis Solarte is currently their top-rated third baseman.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/03/28/padres-are-scouting-pablo-sandoval/KeKF3M8kqXscesU88MtjwI/story.html?event=event25

Please take him!

RedSoxtober
03-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Despite a report from Jon Heyman of MLB Network that the Red Sox have talked to the Padres about their starting pitchers, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com explains why it would be exceedingly unlikely to see James Shields end up in a Red Sox uniform given the veteran’s fly-ball tendencies that have played poorly throughout his career at Fenway.

If one were speculating on potential conversations between San Diego and the Sox, a more likely future subject of conversation between the teams would be righthander Tyson Ross, whose tremendous abilities to get swings and misses and ground balls suggest a potential No. 2 starter. The Sox discussed Ross with the Padres both at last year’s trade deadline and over the winter.

Still, the Padres wanted the sort of haul for a pitcher like Ross (who will be eligible for free agency after the 2017 season) that drove the Sox to trade prospects for a closer (Craig Kimbrel) while signing Price as a front-of-the-rotation starter in order to keep the team’s standout young core intact.

The Padres weren’t alone. As noted by Pirates GM Neal Huntington within Bill Brink’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story on why teams increasingly are building their pitching staffs from the back (bullpen) to the front (rotation), “Obviously the cost of starting pitching is always expensive. … The market truly blew up this year.”

That fact deterred the Sox from trading for a starter in the offseason. And it’s highly unlikely that anything has changed – either in the Sox’ view of their own roster or in the way that other teams view the shape of their organization – to the point where major deals involving starting pitchers would make any sense right now, even beyond the fact that major transactions involving rotation members almost never occur at this stage of the year.Speier

RedSoxtober
03-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Farrell explained that he viewed both Jackie Bradley Jr. and Mookie Betts as everyday players in the Red Sox outfield, with the combination of Chris Young, Rusney Castillo and Brock Holt rotating through in left field.

He downplayed the notion that Castillo and Young, both right-handed hitters, might be viewed as repetitive skill-sets, while also explaining how the team currently views Castillo.

“He can play all three outfield positions,” Farrell said. “He’s got power on the right-handed side of the plate. Granted, the area that he continues to work at is just the offensive side of the game, that’s got to gain some consistency. And that’s part of his own knowledge of who he is and what his swing is capable of and how that matches up with certain types of pitches.”

Farrell noted that if Castillo and Young are in the game at the same time, Castillo would likely be in center, with Young in left field.Boston Herald

RedSoxtober
03-31-2016, 08:37 AM
Indeed, numerous pro scouts have devoted plenty of time to the Sox’ backfields given the opportunity to see a huge cross-section of prospects across levels in a fairly condensed period of time. It’s worth noting that Sandoval’s minor league game occurred at a time when righthander Anderson Espinoza – who’s been drawing a dedicated scouting presence all spring – was on the mound.

That’s not to say that the Padres are not scouting Sandoval, but instead a suggestion that in spring scouting assignments (or really any scouting assignments), smoke is no guarantee of fire.

And, of course, the Sox have little reason to rush into a salary dump involving Sandoval for a few reasons. First, even if Travis Shaw wins the starting third base job, there’s still an element of the unknown to his expected big league performance stemming from his relatively brief track record at the big league level.

The idea of offering a massive subsidy to another team to take Sandoval – thus leaving the Sox drastically exposed at third should Shaw either slump or get injured – makes little sense unless the team has no hope that the 29-year-old’s 2015 downturn is irreversible.

Yet at least one evaluator offered his belief that Sandoval could be a useful contributor in a part-time and pinch-hitting role if that is indeed where he ends up to open the year. Sandoval’s ability to make contact with a broad array of pitches suggests someone capable of being a part-time bench and pinch-hitting asset.

In short, even if the Sox feel their best chance to win immediately is with Shaw at third, that doesn’t mean that the team would feel compelled to walk away from its five-year investment in Sandoval.Speier

RedSoxtober
03-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Prior to Red Sox's final Grapefruit League game, John Farrell tells reporters that Travis Shaw will start at third base on Opening Day. Pablo Sandoval will be on the bench. Travis Shaw thru 65 big-league games: .270/.327/.487, 13 HR, 248 PA Will Middlebrooks thru 65 big-league games: .301/.331/.525, 13 HR, 251 PA Point is, now that Shaw has earned the third-base job, keeping it will prove just as challenging.espn.com

BoSox47
03-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Just sent chills down my spine with the middlebrooks reference. Hopefully he fairs better.

papipapsmanny
03-31-2016, 09:54 PM
ESPN is just lazy. Shaw and Middlebrooks are nothing alike. Shaw has consistently shown much better walk rates than Middlebrooks ever had.

A much more accurate comp would be Mitch Moreland, but MLB ready earlier than he was

RedSoxtober
04-01-2016, 03:00 PM
The Middlebrooks mention was not a comparison in the sense of the type of player they represent. The mention was a caution against making too much over a SSS, particularly at a time of year when you're facing a lot of callups. Is his 0-for-18 string at the end of ST more or less indicative of his 2016 against MLB regulars than the end of last season? Time will tell.

Green_Monster
04-01-2016, 06:42 PM
The Middlebrooks mention was not a comparison in the sense of the type of player they represent. The mention was a caution against making too much over a SSS, particularly at a time of year when you're facing a lot of callups. Is his 0-for-18 string at the end of ST more or less indicative of his 2016 against MLB regulars than the end of last season? Time will tell.

He struck out twice during that 0-18 span. He was making good contact in the games that I saw, just couldn't find a hole.

RedSoxtober
04-02-2016, 11:08 AM
He struck out twice during that 0-18 span. He was making good contact in the games that I saw, just couldn't find a hole.

But he still finished Grapefruit League play on a 2-for-25 skid. If that carries forward then you'll be screaming for his head when he starts the season hitting .040 two weeks into the season. All the talk will be about how he's JBJ all over again -- monstah spring with no results when it counts.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist but rather be a bit realistic: we don't know what Shaw will do over the long haul with more eyes scouting him for holes in his offense. He had a nice run at the end of the year when many teams were more focused on getting their prospects' feet wet. His minor league track record at the upper levels, BB-rate aside, are nowhere near what he did in MLB last year. It's possible that he just figured out who he is as a player and chose to stay within it (there was a story to that effect -- trying too hard to hit HR as a 1B than use his "normal" approach) but it's also possible that he took advantage of a hot streak.

Green_Monster
04-02-2016, 12:26 PM
But he still finished Grapefruit League play on a 2-for-25 skid. If that carries forward then you'll be screaming for his head when he starts the season hitting .040 two weeks into the season. All the talk will be about how he's JBJ all over again -- monstah spring with no results when it counts.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist but rather be a bit realistic: we don't know what Shaw will do over the long haul with more eyes scouting him for holes in his offense. He had a nice run at the end of the year when many teams were more focused on getting their prospects' feet wet. His minor league track record at the upper levels, BB-rate aside, are nowhere near what he did in MLB last year. It's possible that he just figured out who he is as a player and chose to stay within it (there was a story to that effect -- trying too hard to hit HR as a 1B than use his "normal" approach) but it's also possible that he took advantage of a hot streak.

I realize he went on a skid, but when a guy is hitting the ball almost everytime he gets to bat, he'll find holes sooner or later. When he started off spring extremely hot he was finding holes everywhere, and recently he isn't. It all averages out.

I'm not a huge believer in flukes. I believe that Shaw changed his game up a little, especially since his BABIP (.304, barely above average) supports it.