PDA

View Full Version : Nets / Pistons possible deal

Stunner
02-04-2016, 04:26 PM
The Pistons and Nets are discussing a Brandon Jennings for Thaddeus Young trade. (h/t @sheridanhoops)

Stunner
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Nets are reportedly interested in signing Brandon Jennings (looming UFA) long term, making him their point guard of the future. (h/t SHoops)

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm a Brooklyn Nets fan. This would be great.

Chris McCullough is coming back from injury.

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
PG: Brandon Jennings
SG:
SF: Rondae Hollis Jefferson
PF: Chris McCullough
C: Brook Lopez

Plus a ton of cap space. Brooklyn will be improved.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2016, 05:12 PM
who the hell is Chris McCullough? thats still a garbage team in the bottom part of the league

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 05:15 PM
I get Brookyln's reasoning, but why did Detroit do this? Get something before Jennings left?

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 05:16 PM
who the hell is Chris McCullough? thats still a garbage team in the bottom part of the league

Their first round pick... Pay attention.

JWO35
02-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Honestly don't get why Detroit is interested in Young since we already have Morris & Ilyasova...Young is a bad 3pt shooter too :shrug:

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 05:18 PM
McCullough is a cheaper, younger Power Forward.

You turn Young into Jennings. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 05:22 PM

Hater. That team is the blue print. Nets have $$$ to build on it.

Speaking of bottom of the league. You're a 76ers fan.

JWO35
02-04-2016, 05:26 PM

In your opinion who could be the "other players" being discussed on the Nets end? Shane Larkin seems interesting to me if we dealt Jennings

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
In your opinion who could be the "other players" being discussed on the Nets end? Shane Larkin seems interesting to me if we dealt Jennings

Your guess is as good as mine. You would like Thaddeus Young.

He's a great fit on a team with a steady PG which Reggie Jackson is.

TheMightyHumph
02-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I'll take two Piston 1st rdrs with that order, please.

And then just let Jennings contract expire.

ewing
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Thad adds some depth for the Pistons. Jennings is trash, so...

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Anybody who wants Jennings is smoking crack. Take him off our hands.

Thank you.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 06:36 PM
No one has this from the Pistons side? Why take Young? If Jennings needs to go, why not just let him expire or cut him, instead of taking back redundant salary?

FYL_McVeezy
02-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Thank you.

Would you mind coming into the Knick forum and telling our delusional fanbase this please?!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Would you mind coming into the Knick forum and telling our delusional fanbase this please?!
I was happy as well when Bucks traded Jennings to Pistons. Also was huge lopsided trade. Middleton and Knight. Bucks still collecting assets from that trade. Heck Bucks might trade MCW for more stuff soon enough.

Stunner
02-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Wasn't he playing very good last season before his injury in SVG ? I believe so , he's playing back into form . Now he's not the greatest but if he can recapture that form he's a very solid PG and he still fits the triangle in NY .

http://youtu.be/HUylQMb5tKo

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 07:13 PM
If the Nets are giving up Thaddeus Young who is under contract for the next 3 years.
I want the Pistons 2016 1st round pick. It figures to be around 19 - low 20s. I'll take it.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 07:19 PM
If the Nets are giving up Thaddeus Young who is under contract for the next 3 years.
I want the Pistons 2016 1st round pick. It figures to be around 19 - low 20s. I'll take it.

Wat? No one's giving you a 1st for 3 years of Young.

MJNetsIsles
02-04-2016, 07:32 PM

He averages 15 and 9 a game. He's a double double PF.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 07:44 PM
He averages 15 and 9 a game. He's a double double PF.
He's average and he can't shoot. Counting stats are almost meaningless. You could draft a mid 1st PF and over his rookie deal will give you an average of the same production for less money.

TheMightyHumph
02-04-2016, 07:46 PM

You obviously underrate Thad.

FOXHOUND
02-04-2016, 07:48 PM
For the Pistons side:

I guess this makes sense. Jennings obviously won't be back, and his value right now with him shooting 35% returning from his achilles injury and being a FA can't be great. Young is pretty solid, but I question the fit with his lack of shooting and SVG liking stretch 4's. Still, he's a lot better than Tolliver so he could be used off the bench to bolster that unit and take some minutes from Illyasova.

Contract wise, it gets a bit interesting. Yes, Young has 3/$38M left, with the last year being a $13.7M PO, but in new cap money that will be dirt cheap. Furthermore, you have Illysova's $8.4M of next season being non-guarunteed, so they can cut ties with him and repurpose that money in FA, where as currently stands they will have about $36M while needing to max out Drummond.

For the Nets side:

I don't know, seems like pure desperation from a team that has little assets to build for the future. Young is a way better player than Jennings right now, but I guess they're desperate enough to take crazy chances like this. Even at his best, he's an inefficient and highly inconsistent gunner who plays poor D. Not exactly someone to build around.

FOXHOUND
02-04-2016, 08:07 PM
On second thought, the more I think about this from the Pistons standpoint the more I like it. I think it would be a really savvy move by SVG, on one major condition.

Will Ryan Anderson be a Piston in 2016-17? I think most signs obviously point to yes, but you never know. Seems like SVG would value him highly enough to pay him nicely, and being back in that system as a deadly stretch 4 next to Drummond is a great fit for everyone involved. What will his price tag be? I'm not sure, but with cap holds and such (Drummond's being $8.4M) and a projected cap of $89M, the Pistons will have about $22M to play around with before resigning Drummond.

They can add Young to be a solid scorer and good rebounder off the bench at $12M, waive Illyasova and Joel Anthony's non-guaranteed contracts to clear $10.5M of that and have $20M to sign Ryan Anderson for a deal that averages $18M per season, which I think would get it done. They can even extend him the full $20M if they had to.

Reggie Jackson
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Stanley Johnson
Ryan Anderson
Andre Drummond
--
Spencer Dinwiddle/1st round pick on a swing guard here?
Jodie Meeks
Marcus Morris
Thaddeus Young
Aaron Baynes
--
Reggie Bullock
Durran Hilliard III

If SVG pulled that off, I would be pretty impressed.

CHANGO
02-04-2016, 09:39 PM
I don't think Young will be the great fit for the SVG system and also putting him alongside Drummond. Don't know about that.

TheMightyHumph
02-04-2016, 09:47 PM
I don't think Young will be the great fit for the SVG system and also putting him alongside Drummond. Don't know about that.

I agree. I think they are better off keeping Ilyasova and letting Jennings walk.

Stunner
02-04-2016, 09:53 PM
I agree. I think they are better off keeping Ilyasova and letting Jennings walk.

Thad would obviously be their 6th man and like it said before Illysova contract isn't guaranteed next year only 400k and they will go hard after Ryan Anderson

LOb0
02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
As a Celtics fan that has The Nets pick, oh god please do this trade.

TheMightyHumph
02-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Thad would obviously be their 6th man and like it said before Illysova contract isn't guaranteed next year only 400k and they will go hard after Ryan Anderson

Going after Ryan is another reason Thad makes no sense for the Pistons.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 11:06 PM
You obviously underrate Thad.
He was -maybe- worth a late 1st two years ago when the Wolves gave up Miami's pick for him in 2014, and that was on the premise that the Sixers weren't using him correctly and he just needed a new environment. Two years and two teams later, and two years older, he's not any better. He's what is called WYSIWYG: an athletic, undersized PF who can't shoot.

Stunner
02-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Going after Ryan is another reason Thad makes no sense for the Pistons.

How ? Because it doesn't fit the mold some of you think is right . Obviously they have a vision

ewing
02-04-2016, 11:31 PM

Thank you.

Yeah Blake is better backup pg. I don't what issue people have with this deal

Aust
02-04-2016, 11:41 PM
As long as it helps the Nets win they have my almighty blessing. They havent' won a game in ages which has me worried.

Oldmantrash
02-05-2016, 12:51 AM
Jennings is garbage coming off bad injury, makes no sense for either team really.
Thad is much better player right now though, I don't like this trade as Nets fan.

IKnowHoops
02-05-2016, 01:17 AM

Yeah, team is trash

TheMightyHumph
02-05-2016, 01:35 AM
How ? Because it doesn't fit the mold some of you think is right . Obviously they have a vision

Too many PFs

ManningToTyree
02-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Please do this then the Knicks won't be able to get that chucker. Don't really get it for Detroit either

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 05:53 AM

Every team in the league will have Cash and very few will want to go to the blackhole that is the nets... This team isnt fixable for several years... The Nets will get some young free agents with minimal upside and be a bottom 5 team... The sixers are bad but the sixers have a ton of money as well and a ton of draft picks and a ton of talent coming back next year... The Nets right now have 1 way to improve and only 1 way and thats free agency and great players that can actually make a difference wont come so they will severally over pay young talent with some upside to fill out that bad roster and their status in the league will continue to remain the same.

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 05:54 AM
Jennings is garbage coming off bad injury, makes no sense for either team really.
Thad is much better player right now though, I don't like this trade as Nets fan.

Pretty much this... Thad is underrated

ewing
02-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Every team in the league will have Cash and very few will want to go to the blackhole that is the nets... This team isnt fixable for several years... The Nets will get some young free agents with minimal upside and be a bottom 5 team... The sixers are bad but the sixers have a ton of money as well and a ton of draft picks and a ton of talent coming back next year... The Nets right now have 1 way to improve and only 1 way and thats free agency and great players that can actually make a difference wont come so they will severally over pay young talent with some upside to fill out that bad roster and their status in the league will continue to remain the same.

wait, what?

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 08:29 AM
wait, what?

Embiid/Saric and talent we get from a Noel/Oka trade... Embiid is gonna prove the haters wrong when he dominates the league

D-Leethal
02-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Embiid/Saric and talent we get from a Noel/Oka trade... Embiid is gonna prove the haters wrong when he dominates the league

So by a ton of talent you mean 2 guys who have never stepped foot on an NBA court and a hypothetical trade that hasn't happened yet?

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Their first round pick... Pay attention.

who hasnt even played a game yet and im sure the majority on here had no idea who he is. If you think he si going to make some immediate impact who am i stop you, not like you have anything else to be hopeful for with that team.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 09:44 AM
as for Thad he can fit in on just about any team in the league and contribute. He will bolster that 2nd unit and provide tons of heart, energy, and hustle too.

NJDrew2
02-05-2016, 09:46 AM

McCullough was a projected lottery pick before he got injured at Syracuse. Supposed to debut Monday. If you think he isn't going to be good, I can understand that. But to not even know who the hell he is probably says more about your knowledge of the Nets roster than anything else. That's like me telling you "The Nuggets have some guy Moodiey and crap!"
For all the people that say the Nets have no talent, wouldn't Brandon Jennings be the perfect guy to get, then? I'm not in favor of it because I'd like to hold on to Thad at least until we see what McCullough has. But just about anything at point guard would be an improvement at this point.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 09:47 AM
So by a ton of talent you mean 2 guys who have never stepped foot on an NBA court and a hypothetical trade that hasn't happened yet?

yea 'ton' wasnt the right word but surely have more talent than we get credit for.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 09:50 AM
McCullough was a projected lottery pick before he got injured at Syracuse. Supposed to debut Monday. If you think he isn't going to be good, I can understand that. But to not even know who the hell he is probably says more about your knowledge of the Nets roster than anything else. That's like me telling you "The Nuggets have some guy Moodiey and crap!"
For all the people that say the Nets have no talent, wouldn't Brandon Jennings be the perfect guy to get, then? I'm not in favor of it because I'd like to hold on to Thad at least until we see what McCullough has. But just about anything at point guard would be an improvement at this point.

of course i dont follow the nets, no reason to. i follow college though and the aCC and still wasnt sure who he was, maybe i didnt catch as much cuse as i thought last year. But he sure isnt making any impact right away like the poster was trying to make it seem like. There is a big difference in not realizing who the 29th pick was who hasnt played a game yet compared to the player picked 7th who was in all the draft discussions last year.

IndyRealist
02-05-2016, 11:23 AM
as for Thad he can fit in on just about any team in the league and contribute. He will bolster that 2nd unit and provide tons of heart, energy, and hustle too.

^ this is completely true. I'm not saying Thad is a bad player, but if anyone gives up a mid-first for a "not bad" player who will likely be fortifying a bench unit, I've got a bridge for sale. Fantastic location.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 12:13 PM
I could see Pistons wanna cash in on Jennings if they can get any assets. But taking on long term salary of Young seems counter productive. What's the Pistons cap if they land Young? Still plenty to get Anderson? Just checked they still have plenty of cap. But seems counter productive trading expiring for a non-shooter on a long deal. Pistons plan on having Thad at SF? Cause Anderson is PF. So seems like wasted money at same position.

Stunner
02-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Too many PFs

Sir that's 2 power forwards , Morris starts at SF and can play some PF like his brother who is strictly a PF most of the time . It's not that big of a deal they have a talented front court if that happens .

Stunner
02-05-2016, 12:30 PM
I could see Pistons wanna cash in on Jennings if they can get any assets. But taking on long term salary of Young seems counter productive. What's the Pistons cap if they land Young? Still plenty to get Anderson? Just checked they still have plenty of cap. But seems counter productive trading expiring for a non-shooter on a long deal. Pistons plan on having Thad at SF? Cause Anderson is PF. So seems like wasted money at same position.

Why can't Thad be the 6th man ? Is that so hard for people to assume ? The cap is going up the next 2 years , it's really not that big of a deal as some of you guys are making .

Thad is a PF/SF

Stanley Johnson is a SF

Morris is a SF/ PF

Ryan Anderson is a PF

That's a log jam that's counter productive , In what way ?

You pay for talent in this league if you feel they can help you .

If anything it adds versatility to DET for some lineups the opposing team might out against them like a GS .

IndyRealist
02-05-2016, 12:45 PM

It would be counter productive to go out and pay top dollar for a PF who stretches the floor and then put a non-shooting SF out there to collapse your spacing. I suspect Young would come off the bench and Morris or Johnson would start at SF.

NJDrew2
02-05-2016, 12:56 PM
of course i dont follow the nets, no reason to. i follow college though and the aCC and still wasnt sure who he was, maybe i didnt catch as much cuse as i thought last year. But he sure isnt making any impact right away like the poster was trying to make it seem like. There is a big difference in not realizing who the 29th pick was who hasnt played a game yet compared to the player picked 7th who was in all the draft discussions last year.

You don't follow the Nets, you have no idea who the guy is, and you did no research on him, so that means he isn't and will never be any good. Got it. And like I said, he got hurt last year at Cuse so that might be a reason why you don't remember him.
Pretty sure you also took the Mudiay comment the complete wrong way, but whatever.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Still have to pay Drummond yet. So Thaddeus Young $11,235,955 $12,078,652 $12,921,348 $13,764,045 . Then whatever Anderson is signed for. Beside Jackson on his max. Also Josh Smith is getting like $5M per on stretch. Pistons at $64M with options picked up. That doesn't include Jennings expiring for Young. So $75M then. Then Drummonds max tossed in and whatever Anderson gets. Yeah you could let Ersan walk and he only gets $400K out of $8.4M. Also KCP be ready for new deal in 2 years as well. My guess Anderson gets $15M per or more. I think there was a old article saying Anderson could command over $20M per or like $24M. Not sure he asks for it but who knows. So $90M could add up fast.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 01:45 PM
You don't follow the Nets, you have no idea who the guy is, and you did no research on him, so that means he isn't and will never be any good. Got it. And like I said, he got hurt last year at Cuse so that might be a reason why you don't remember him.
Pretty sure you also took the Mudiay comment the complete wrong way, but whatever.

where did i see he wont be any good? good or not hes not gonna be some star that is going to take your sorry roster from where they are now to anything better. The Nets are in for some dark years for a while, i would brace myself if i were you. Also players getting hurt doesnt knock their value that much if they are that good, Noel tore his ACL and only fell to 6 for example. Griffin and Irving still went #1 while injured too.

TheMightyHumph
02-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Sir that's 2 power forwards , Morris starts at SF and can play some PF like his brother who is strictly a PF most of the time . It's not that big of a deal they have a talented front court if that happens .

Okay. Just that Thad's and Drummond's skills are kinda repetitive.

More-Than-Most
02-05-2016, 07:13 PM

pretty much esp when the ton of talent consists of a guy with limitless potential in Embiid... A guy I have been saying we live or die with when everyone else has given up on him... He is going to beast this league.

Everyone thinks simmons is the next Lebron and he hasnt played a game yet... :shrug: see how that works? Its all about talent and potential... The sixers have a ton of talent coming in... Will they live up to the potential is another question but the talent is there

ewing
02-05-2016, 08:08 PM

some they have no talent "coming back" i would have actually given them more credit then that :)

kobe4thewinbang
02-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Nets are reportedly interested in signing Brandon Jennings (looming UFA) long term, making him their point guard of the future. (h/t SHoops)5 years ago, maybe. Jennings isn't a PG. He's a scorer.

IndyRealist
02-06-2016, 06:41 PM
5 years ago, maybe. Jennings isn't a PG. He's a scorer.

This is the prevailing thought, but is it really true? First, he's not a very good scorer. He's ok at the rim and behind the 3pt line, otherwise he's horrible from 3-23ft. Second, in the last two years since moving to Detriot he set career highs in assists/min, assists/poss, and ast:to ratio. (This year he hasn't had enough minutes to show anything.) Third, one of the prerequisites to being a "scorer" is being able to "get his own shot". Yet over a third of his shots are 3's and most than half are assisted on for his career. Essentially, it seems like if he's not drive and dishing, he's taking spot up 3s. Anyone who watches Detroit wanna confirm?

meloman1592
02-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Lol at everyone acting like Jennings is trash. Dude has talent. Tons of it

More-Than-Most
02-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Lol at everyone acting like Jennings is trash. Dude has talent. Tons of it

He has talent but tons of it is not accurate... He shoots like 15 times a game with a fg Percentage in the upper 30s. Not really a game changer in my opinion. Id rather have Thad young... Thad is a 50 percent shooter avg 15/9... Thad is severely underrated and is all around better than Jennings in my opinion.

Deception
02-07-2016, 11:29 AM
He has talent but tons of it is not accurate... He shoots like 15 times a game with a fg Percentage in the upper 30s. Not really a game changer in my opinion. Id rather have Thad young... Thad is a 50 percent shooter avg 15/9... Thad is severely underrated and is all around better than Jennings in my opinion.

He's coming off an achilles injury and still getting his feet under him. Last season before his injury he was shooting around 44% and averaging 19 and 8. I'm passing on Thad over Jennings