PDA

View Full Version : When did players stop caring about the ASG?

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 02:59 PM
So I'm sitting here watching the 1977 All Star Game and I can't help but wonder what the hell happened. I mean when you watch these older ASG especially from the 70s and early 80s these guys were seriously competing.

And I've been thinking about it for a while and I can't work out exactly when it changed. Was it gradual? I don't even recollect realising it was happening. The competitiveness just seemed to fade and one day it was gone completely.

What do you think caused it?

And how can they fix it?

Jeffy25
02-04-2016, 03:05 PM
After Magic?

ewing
02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
IDK, when i was young i felt like they didn't try at all for the 1st 3q and then played a little in 4th. Still wasn't very entertaining

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 03:12 PM
When the players all became facebook friends and started taking vacations together.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-04-2016, 03:22 PM
When the players all became facebook friends and started taking vacations together.

This.

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 03:36 PM
IDK, when i was young i felt like they did try at all for the 1st 3q and then played a little in 4th. Still wasn't very entertaining

I felt the same but I'm way too young to remember the 70s or early 80s and watching the All star games from back then is crazy, I've watched tons of regular season and playoff stuff but I never bothered watching the ASG aside from dunk contests.

I just got done watching the '77 ASG and it's more competitive than a lot of regular season games now never mind ASGs. There was a great moment when Dr J postered KAJ.

The only real difference I can see from the 70s all star games and 70s regular games is the pace. They seemed to be playing much faster in the ASG and there were a bunch of turnovers (Westphal had double digit turnovers).

The defensive intensity was legit.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
too many guys are friends, others are worried about injuries, stuff like that.

Alayla
02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Much earlier than most people on here think that's for sure this started LONG before facebook or even myspace where things.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 04:01 PM
At last, an easy one to answer ... back then the bonus for winning the ASG was a significant chunk of change compared to their income. Now with the average all-star making $15M the $50,000 bonus to win is a tiny percentage of their income. What's more the losers still get $25k so losing isn't all that bad.

If each winner got $1M and the losers got nothing you can bet your *** they'd play hard.

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 04:27 PM
At last, an easy one to answer ... back then the bonus for winning the ASG was a significant chunk of change compared to their income. Now with the average all-star making $15M the $50,000 bonus to win is a tiny percentage of their income. What's more the losers still get $25k so losing isn't all that bad.

If each winner got $1M and the losers got nothing you can bet your *** they'd play hard.

Wow. I didn't know about this at all. Thanks for the info.

I guess it's a difficult thing to do with the current climate etc. I wonder if they would inject more money into it after all these new tv deals and sponsorships. Doubtful but you never know.

Tony_Starks
02-04-2016, 04:51 PM
They still compete but it's in the last 5 minutes as opposed to the whole game.

It is getting less and less though. I remember as recently as the Iverson days when they were really going at it.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Wow. I didn't know about this at all. Thanks for the info.

I guess it's a difficult thing to do with the current climate etc. I wonder if they would inject more money into it after all these new tv deals and sponsorships. Doubtful but you never know.

I doubt they do it becuase player contracts have bonuses integrated for making the ASG ... winning isn't listed in contracts.

I bet Silver would have an interesting answer if anybody gets a chance to ask him about significantly upping the winners money for the ASG.

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 05:21 PM
They still compete but it's in the last 5 minutes as opposed to the whole game.

It is getting less and less though. I remember as recently as the Iverson days when they were really going at it.

I don't think they really went at it back then. Not properly.

I can't actually remember a time when they did. All of the most competitive ASGs I've seen now were before my time (<90s)

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Do you want them 'competing'?

This is supposed to be a fun game. Highlight reel material. Lot of scoring and dunks and fast breaks. Loose basketball.

You make it serious, and all of a sudden guys play too hard and risk injury. Do you want that?

It's supposed to be a fun pick-up game for the fans to watch their favorite players, while recognizing a high level of play.

I've never seen a 'competitive' game. In fact, I remember guys (especially seasoned vets who had multiple ASG appearances) wanting to skip the game altogether so they could rest and get back to working for their team. Barkley, for example, had some nagging injuries the year he was the ASG MVP (1991) and wanted to rest, but the league rule was that he had to be on the injured list to miss the game, and that would mean having to miss a game (I think it was actually two) for the Sixers at the time. So he was kinda forced into playing and won MVP.

Guys are too concerned about their TEAM to be worried about risking their health for a pick-up game.

I would't want it any other way. There is nothing to 'fix' here.

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Do you want them 'competing'?

This is supposed to be a fun game. Highlight reel material. Lot of scoring and dunks and fast breaks. Loose basketball.

You make it serious, and all of a sudden guys play too hard and risk injury. Do you want that?

It's supposed to be a fun pick-up game for the fans to watch their favorite players, while recognizing a high level of play.

I've never seen a 'competitive' game. In fact, I remember guys (especially seasoned vets who had multiple ASG appearances) wanting to skip the game altogether so they could rest and get back to working for their team. Barkley, for example, had some nagging injuries the year he was the ASG MVP (1991) and wanted to rest, but the league rule was that he had to be on the injured list to miss the game, and that would mean having to miss a game (I think it was actually two) for the Sixers at the time. So he was kinda forced into playing and won MVP.

Guys are too concerned about their TEAM to be worried about risking their health for a pick-up game.

Says who?

That's not what it was. That's what it became. If you're going based on what it was always like, it should be a competitive game with all the leagues most popular players.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 06:45 PM

It's not basketball ... I don't pay to see the globetrotters and they are WAY more entertaining than the NBA ASG has become.

With ASG ratings what they have been my guess is the NBA and their broadcast partners are interested in getting more people to watch ... and I for one would watch if the game itself was better.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 07:22 PM
It's not basketball ... I don't pay to see the globetrotters and they are WAY more entertaining than the NBA ASG has become.

With ASG ratings what they have been my guess is the NBA and their broadcast partners are interested in getting more people to watch ... and I for one would watch if the game itself was better.

I don't suspect you pay to see the ASG, either.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I have considered it when it was local and i used to pay to have tnt

Gander13SM
02-05-2016, 01:15 AM
I don't suspect you pay to see the ASG, either.

If you had 20 of (arguably) the best players in the league and you put them into a competitive game. I would pay to see that on tv.

As it currently stands. No chance.

ManningToTyree
02-05-2016, 01:59 AM
There are no player rivalries anymore. Guys don't see it as an opportunity to prove they are the best of the best they are just happy to be there.

Tony_Starks
02-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Also you have to keep in mind the competition factor is weak now.

Back in the day you had Kobe, AI, Ray,TMac,Vince, Pierce...all trying to prove who the best wing was.

Sheed, KG, Timmy, CWebb, McDyce, Dirk, Amare.... all going at it.

Now days the allstars are watered down. Some of the guys in the east aren't even legit allstars they just need to fill out the roster....