PDA

View Full Version : Otis Thorpe: HOF?

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Before I even get this started, I realize the answer for most will be 'No', and I'm not even sure that I would argue with that. Thorpe did have limitations to his game, but he's always seemed underappreciated to me.

He's only got one All-Star game, and no other awards, but he does have one championships, which he played a vital role in securing. He had an impressive FG% (.546 on his career) and was a double-double player per36 for much of his career, and a 20/10 player in situations where he was the teams best or second best player.

He was also an adept passer, and though his 2.2 assists per game on his career sounds average at best, even for a PF in the 80s/90s, when he was a starter in Houston he was dishing out 2.3-3.2 a game, which considering their deep rotation of point guards (Kenny Smith, Mad Max, and Sam Cassell), and the fact that they ran a LOT of plays through Hakeem, who was a great playmaker from the paint, the fact that Thorpe was able to dish out 3.2 assists a game with so few possessions demonstrates the skill he had.

I always felt like had he not played in the shadow of Hakeem for so long, and then been bounced around through several other teams, or had he been playing with a franchise play in the back court, like MJ, Magic, or Drexler, people would have appreciated what he brought to the table more. But he played his early days in Sac-town, which nobody paid attention to back then, and then came to Houston, where he played hard alongside one of the best to ever play.

So, I ask two questions really. Is Thorpe a HOF player? And if not (which he likely wasn't), could he have been had he played in a different situation? Had he been on the Lakers in place of Worthy. Or Portland in place of Kersey. Or Chicago in place of Grant? Or some other scenario?

ewing
02-04-2016, 11:00 AM
No, maybe in the perfect situation he could be but i think it would have to be perfect. Like a prime role next to Magic. If was always West coast Charles Oakley to me. A little smoother, not quite as tough but just a solid dude, still not a HOFer

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 11:40 AM
No, maybe in the perfect situation he could be but i think it would have to be perfect. Like a prime role next to Magic. If was always West coast Charles Oakley to me. A little smoother, not quite as tough but just a solid dude, still not a HOFer

Interesting comparison... agreed.. smother but not as tough.

Man... I miss Charles Oakley on the floor. He was a boss!

shep33
02-04-2016, 11:53 AM
No chance. Numbers aren't close to other people at his position. Very good player though, it's just that hall of famers have the numbers

Chronz
02-04-2016, 02:28 PM
He was never an All-Star caliber player, just someone with mad longevity and intangibles that propelled him into having a few fringe all-star years. West coast Oakley was a great comp