PDA

View Full Version : Which current players have the potential to average a triple double?

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I've just been utterly dumbfounded at the level of play put out by Draymond Green this season, and the fact that he is able to lead a team like the Warriors in assists when they have one of the best point guards in the history of the game on the team makes me wonder who many assists he could get if he were on a team where the point guard was more of a spot-up shooter. Could Green get 10 assists a game? That would put him in triple-double territory.

But we have seen a proliferation of players with strong all-round games, not the least of whom is LeBron James, who very nearly averaged a triple-double in last year's finals.

And Westbrook.... who is 2.6 boards shy of averaging a triple double himself. Rondo's a little further off in the rebounds department, but he's got his share of 3D games.

Which guys do you think have it in them to average a 3D for an entire season were they in the right situation? And is anybody in the league likely to ever achieve this?

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I'd say Westbrook and Rondo. It almost has to be a rebounding PG or a point forward. No one is going to be able to put up the blocks or steals for an entire season, and no other position has enough control of the ball to get the assists.

If Lebron was going to, he would have by now, and Green is already in about as ideal of a setup now as he could be to average a triple double. High pace and surrounded by unreal shooters. I don't think it Draymond could push the pace enough if he were the primary ballhandler.

Maybe Noah if he was ever healthy and in a faster system.

valade16
02-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Rondo in his prime in a perfect situation and Westbrook would be the second closest, but I just don't think they could average 10 RPG for a full season.

The only answer here is Draymond Green. I was so wrong about him. Guy is an all around monster. He's getting triple doubles in 30 mins. while taking like 5 shots.

ManningToTyree
02-04-2016, 12:19 PM
If Westbrook was on a **** team he could do it

KnicksorBust
02-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I've just been utterly dumbfounded at the level of play put out by Draymond Green this season, and the fact that he is able to lead a team like the Warriors in assists when they have one of the best point guards in the history of the game on the team makes me wonder who many assists he could get if he were on a team where the point guard was more of a spot-up shooter. Could Green get 10 assists a game? That would put him in triple-double territory.

But we have seen a proliferation of players with strong all-round games, not the least of whom is LeBron James, who very nearly averaged a triple-double in last year's finals.

And Westbrook.... who is 2.6 boards shy of averaging a triple double himself. Rondo's a little further off in the rebounds department, but he's got his share of 3D games.

Which guys do you think have it in them to average a 3D for an entire season were they in the right situation? And is anybody in the league likely to ever achieve this?

If you replaced Curry with George Hill, Draymond Green would get less assists not more.

KnicksorBust
02-04-2016, 12:31 PM
The most obvious answers are Green, LeBron, Westbrook, and Rondo. An underrated triple double threat is Nic Batum. He is back to playing to his pre-injury Portland levels. He may not be a triple double threat but going into the season I was high on Oladipo but he has been a disappointment.

tredigs
02-04-2016, 12:33 PM
I mean, if Draymond averaged 40 mpg in this current Warriors system/role he could do it. If you put him on another team there's no way though. The Warriors fast-paced transition offence and incredible finishers help his assists totals to be sure, and the gravity of Curry also sets him up with many of the 4 on 3's he gets in order to get the easy lob or kick-out assist. He's a very good playmaker in his own right, but definitely not a potential 10 assist guy in any other situation.

The answer to this question is always, "pick the highest rebounding PG". Was Kidd in the 90's/early 00's, then Rondo, now Westbrook. None can actually do it, especially now that players don't play >40 mpg a night, but they'll rack up the most in a season.

I think Lebron has like 3 triple doubles in the last 4 years. Like Draymond, he'd never be able to do this.

Gander13SM
02-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Westbrook if he was playing >40 mins per game.

Draymond.

That's it.

JWO35
02-04-2016, 01:52 PM
If Westbrook was on a **** team he could do it

This, guy would probably break all sorts of records if he was on like the 76ers or something

CHANGO
02-04-2016, 02:18 PM
I just think that Dray is on the perfect system, I'm 100% sure that guys like Lebron and Westy could came close to or average like 20 or 30 triple-doubles a game if they wanted to. But the only difference between Dray and Lebron/Westy is the scoring load they have to take on a nightly basis to get their teams to victory.

The Cavs wouldn't win **** if Lebron was attemping 6 shots a game and averaging 12ppg/11apg/9.7rpg or hell 10rpg too. Same with Westy, some players need to score to help their teams win, Dray don't. He can have 10 points with 10 assits and 10 rebounds and the Warriors could still win by 30 points. That's the perfect situation.

Chronz
02-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Give Dray prime Mo Williams (someone beneath his stature but good enough to hit shots at an elite level in the RS) and Prime Amare (a PnR partner who cant rebound) and he might do it.

KnicksorBust
02-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Give Dray prime Mo Williams (someone beneath his stature but good enough to hit shots at an elite level in the RS) and Prime Amare (a PnR partner who cant rebound) and he might do it.

I honestly don't understand this opinion. Dray would have be so much more of a creator without Steph getting doubled on pick and rolls. Swapping Curry for Mo hurts his assist total.

True Sports Fan
02-04-2016, 06:01 PM

Not sure I really agree with this, but to the main topic, the names already mentioned. Has to be some kind of point forward or rebounding PG, impossible to average 10 steals or blocks