PDA

View Full Version : Does Ben Simmons = Micheal Beasley

IKnowHoops
02-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Is it just me or does there style, size and game resemble each other. Was Beasly's head his only detriment, or did his game just not translate. He always seemed like a tweener that got exposed for lack of power against PF and lack of speed and quickness against SF. Will Ben have a similar problem going into the NBA. Or would Beasly have been a great player if mentally he was like Cris Paul?

LivinLakers
02-04-2016, 02:57 AM
It is a little of both. But the speed difference between Simmons and Beasley is substantial. I think Beasley with the right work ethic and mental state would have made a difference that would have kept him in the league, but I doubt he ever would have been a superstar. Simmons will be good and with an outside shot he will be great.

More-Than-Most
02-04-2016, 04:49 AM
He has all the potential in the world but something is off about him to me... I am not sure I just have a feeling he will bust.

Aust
02-04-2016, 05:08 AM
There was a scouting video, I think from yahoo, about 11 minutes long that had him compared to the likes of Beasley, Odom, Griffin and Diaw in a bunch of specific ways.

He has all the potential in the world but something is off about him to me... I am not sure I just have a feeling he will bust.

I'm curious, what's your opinion of Ingram?

More-Than-Most
02-04-2016, 07:20 AM
There was a scouting video, I think from yahoo, about 11 minutes long that had him compared to the likes of Beasley, Odom, Griffin and Diaw in a bunch of specific ways.

I'm curious, what's your opinion of Ingram?

Overall his defense and his shooting has me sold... That being said Simms goes number 1 nomatter what and even if I had to choose I would take Simmons because he just has way to much potential to pass up... Ingram is an insane runner up for whichever team misses out on the number 1 pick.

mudvayne387
02-04-2016, 09:22 AM
No, not even close.

First and foremost, Ben Simmons by all accounts is the ideal teammate. Unselfish, charismatic and has true leadership traits. Michael Beasley if you remember correctly was selfish on the court and even more of a question mark off of the court. For that reason and that reason alone, Simmons will stick around in the league at some capacity.

But that's not all. You are failing to realize that Simmons is both quicker and faster than Michael Beasley ever was. So even if he is a bit overpowered playing at the 4, his athleticism and quickness will still be a mismatch against certain teams power forwards. Michael Beasley was/is athletic but very lethargic on both ends of the floor. Instead of tweaking his game when he reached the NBA, he stuck with his ball dominant me vs them mentality and it never translated.

Simmons is not a great shooter and that is something that will have to be improved upon. But there is no question that he has the desire and drive to do so. I know some experts like to compare Simmons to LeBron at similar junctions of their careers but I don't love that comparison either. People forget just how much hype there was surrounding LeBron from the time he was a sophomore in high school. I would be more apt to compare Simmons to someone like Draymond Green who does a little bit of everything and gives 100% on defense.

basketballkitty
02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
The comparison I have heard, and agree with is that Ben Simmons is a better and more Athletic version of Ex-Syracuse player " Billy Owens " And that makes more sense then being compared to Beasley.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Is it just me or does there style, size and game resemble each other. Was Beasly's head his only detriment, or did his game just not translate. He always seemed like a tweener that got exposed for lack of power against PF and lack of speed and quickness against SF. Will Ben have a similar problem going into the NBA. Or would Beasly have been a great player if mentally he was like Cris Paul?

their games are literally nothing a like. have you watched Simmons play? Im pretty critical of Simmons for his lack of and refusal to shoot in the Sixers forum but the last player I would compare him to is Beasley. Simmons has a much better head on his shoulders too and game IQ.

mudvayne387
02-04-2016, 10:00 AM
The comparison I have heard, and agree with is that Ben Simmons is a better and more Athletic version of Ex-Syracuse player " Billy Owens " And that makes more sense then being compared to Beasley.

That is another comparison to a player who was generally lazy and not committed to improving. I don't think Simmons drive and determination should be overlooked.

basketballkitty
02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
That is another comparison to a player who was generally lazy and not committed to improving. I don't think Simmons drive and determination should be overlooked.

I said their skill levels were similar. Not necessarily their mental approach to the game.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2016, 10:35 AM
waaaaaaaaaaaaay more unselfish. I don't see NBA superstar in the kid, but he reminds me of Toni Kukoc

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Beasley was a bust for a #2, but there are worse guys than him in the nba at his position currently. It's really just attitude and off-court issues that keep him out of the NBA.

By all accounts that is not an issue with Simmons.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I think part of it may be that Ben has that Aussie laid back approach to life externally, but by all accounts he's crazy driven. Tim Duncan was a comparison I heard from a scout at a Cal game (there to see Rabb and Brown).

basketballkitty
02-04-2016, 10:58 AM
waaaaaaaaaaaaay more unselfish. I don't see NBA superstar in the kid, but he reminds me of Toni Kukoc

That's what they said about Lebron as well. That he was way too unselfish as a player with his skills.

Alayla
02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
I think all the tools are there and the worries about his jumper are overblown. First because right now he has no reason to settle and second because plenty of players sucked as shooters early in there careers and got better at it later so even if he is actually a bad shooter its not something that scares me.

That being said as many people above say i do get this sneaking suspicion about him.
Its really difficult to put my finger on why so i guess its just a gut feeling but i would feel much safer with Ingram.

Corey
02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Ben Simmons is closer to Lamar Odom.

Corey
02-04-2016, 11:07 AM
That's what they said about Lebron as well. That he was way too unselfish as a player with his skills.

They said Lebron could be too passive at times. The Simmons criticism are nothing like what Lebron got. Lebron went for blood and regularly forced the issue and played aggressive. Simmons will go games at a time where he just doesnt look for his shot.

In the final 10 minutes against Oklahoma he attempted 1 shot in a back and forth game against the #1 team in the country. That's not a good look.

HandsOnTheWheel
02-04-2016, 11:57 AM
No, definitely closer to a Lamar Odom/Diaw type of mix but with more speed than either. Beasley was such a scrub.

ManningToTyree
02-04-2016, 12:16 PM
More athletic Evan turner if he busts. But I don't think he will bust

SolemnJudgement
02-04-2016, 01:07 PM
He needs another year to develop imo, I don't think he's gonna impact the NBA right away. Also if the coach isn't running it through him that says something. I dominant guy like him should have his team ranked. It's in his best interest to wait another year, I think declaring and entering NBA will hinder his development.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2016, 02:15 PM

LeBron was being followed around like a puppy at age 15. They had to move his games to a college campus to hold the crowds. Simmons is nowhere near LeBron's level at age 18. Not even close.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2016, 02:16 PM
No, definitely closer to a Lamar Odom/Diaw type of mix but with more speed than either. Beasley was such a scrub.

Beasley was an awesome college player, even if he literally had 2 moves. He either caught it in the post and went left, or caught it at the elbow and went left haha.

26-10 though, and his team was pretty good, all because of him. He just used pure physical talent, which worked in high school/college.

2-ONE-5
02-04-2016, 02:21 PM
He needs another year to develop imo, I don't think he's gonna impact the NBA right away. Also if the coach isn't running it through him that says something. I dominant guy like him should have his team ranked. It's in his best interest to wait another year, I think declaring and entering NBA will hinder his development.

How is it in his best interest to wait a year when hes a lock to be the #1 pick? All he really has to do is show he cans hoot in the combine and the entire league will be drooling over him

Hawkeye15
02-04-2016, 05:56 PM
How is it in his best interest to wait a year when hes a lock to be the #1 pick? All he really has to do is show he cans hoot in the combine and the entire league will be drooling over him

I mean, there is no way he falls outside the top 2 picks, and is the consensus #1 pick. Of course he is coming out.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 06:49 PM

Okay, this is a little trolly but still true ... but if he stays in college he can avoid being drafted by some pretty bad teams for one more year.

If the top pick goes to Philly, Brooklyn, Phoenix, or New Orleans he can stay in school and maybe avoid ever playing for those teams ... unfortunately if the Lakers get the pick he may be more likely to come out.

Stunner
02-04-2016, 07:31 PM
https://youtu.be/kWuBjwG8PN0

Even Draft Express talked about some similarities in their game but at the end no that is not his ceiling.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Okay, this is a little trolly but still true ... but if he stays in college he can avoid being drafted by some pretty bad teams for one more year.

If the top pick goes to Philly, Brooklyn, Phoenix, or New Orleans he can stay in school and maybe avoid ever playing for those teams ... unfortunately if the Lakers get the pick he may be more likely to come out.

top picks go to bad teams and the Lakers are in as bad as position of the teams you named, prob worse. I dont think the kid is that dumb to risk a serious injury to avoid playing for team x. i know your just playing devils advocate but i dont think he would consider that at all. Besdies any rookie should be thrilled to go to NO and play next to AD so you dont have to face that immediate face of the franchise pressure

Scoots
02-05-2016, 10:17 AM
The lakers are in worse shape but that name can affect people. NO issue is that the organization is a mess not the talent.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2016, 11:15 AM
yea true NO front office is clueless but im not sure LA has that same appeal it once used to, especially since market size not being as important anymore. In Simmons case though he could want to re-unite with Russ

Vinylman
02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
They said Lebron could be too passive at times. The Simmons criticism are nothing like what Lebron got. Lebron went for blood and regularly forced the issue and played aggressive. Simmons will go games at a time where he just doesnt look for his shot.

In the final 10 minutes against Oklahoma he attempted 1 shot in a back and forth game against the #1 team in the country. That's not a good look.

That has way more to do with his ****** coach and that piece of garbage Quartermann... The NBA is nothing like a packed paint game in college... he will flourish in the NBA because of his handles and quickness to go along with his size...

he is a more explosive version of Lamar odom at this point

Scoots
02-05-2016, 11:43 AM
I think Simmons should pull a Kobe and refuse to play for anyone but the Warriors :)

Ball_Out
02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Ben Simmons = Ben Simmons