PDA

View Full Version : The Year of the Monkey: Sac-town's t-shirt controversy

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I haven't seen anybody pick up on this.

Here's the story:

Sacramento has a large Chinese-American population. this weekend celebrates the Chinese New Year, and the upcoming year will the the Year of the Monkey.

In celebration of this significant portion of the Kings' fan base, the team was handing out t-shirts to celebrate the YOTM that integrated the team's logo/colour with a monkey.

Sounds great, right?

Except, that they were handing them on the first day of February, which is also the first day of Black History Month, and the term 'monkey' is steeped in racial attitudes. DeMarcus Cousins thought this was inappropriate, and the team pulled the t-shirts.

But it seems sad to me that one community (the Asian community) gets is celebration derailed, though the concern is obvious.

Tonight is the King's final home game before the Chinese New Year, and they will not have another until well over week after the Chinese new Year.

Should the Kings give these t-shirts out tonight? Should they scrap this altogether?

If this was the Year of the Dragon, there'd be no problems, but sadly the racially charged iconography puts two marginalized groups against each other.

What are your thoughts?

Please be respectful.

ewing
02-03-2016, 11:58 AM
We are all monkeys.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I understand but there are limits to reasonableness. Zoos have monkey habitats where they are locked up. I got a box of saltines in a white box. My favorite chinese restaurant has yellow napkins. There are always coincidences... The question is why not what. We focus too much on what.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

HeartOfStarks
02-03-2016, 12:04 PM
We are all monkeys.

Haha prefectly said!

In regards to this speacific question though, my mother in law recently said what I thought was a very wise quote (we can always learn from our elders). It was this:

"If it's almost right, it's wrong." So in this instance, unfortunately, my feeling is that if it's going to offend someone (or group of people), and it's an understandable offense, which I'd say this is due to the historical significance of the slur (although obviously not intended in this case), you don't do it.

That's what we'd do in a social situation no? Care about others' feelings and not want to make them feel crappy. As each of us would want to be considered, and not insulted by others. So I say no-go. My two cents.

We are all monkeys though that ish is just true.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Haha prefectly said!

In regards to this speacific question though, my mother in law recently said what I thought was a very wise quote (we can always learn from our elders). It was this:

"If it's almost right, it's wrong." So in this instance, unfortunately, my feeling is that if it's going to offend someone (or group of people), and it's an understandable offense, which I'd say this is due to the historical significance of the slur (although obviously not intended in this case), you don't do it.

That's what we'd do in a social situation no? Care about others' feelings and not want to make them feel crappy. As each of us would want to be considered, and not insulted by others. So I say no-go. My two cents.

We are all monkeys though that ish is just true.

The problem here, though, is that there are two groups, and each has a legit reason to be offended regardless of the decision.

You have the monkey t-shirts? People are offended at the racial implications. You don't? You are telling the Chinese fans their culture should be subordinated to Western interpretations of their cultural iconography.

I agree with you 100%, but in this case it is a lose-lose.

HeartOfStarks
02-03-2016, 12:39 PM
^^ okay well then I don't have the answer lol. I tried.

Kevj77
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
They probably should pull the shirts because some people find it offensive. It's a shame though I have friends that live in Sac suburbs there's a very large Asian population and the shirt was in no way meant to be offensive only celebrate their culture.

tredigs
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
I'd like to think I'd be able to look past a triscuit on a t-shirt handed out on March 1st at my work place if we were for some reason celebrating another culture in order to drum up sales for the day, but unfortunately there is no white-history month or year of the cracker : (

Kidding, kidding.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 01:52 PM
It's one thing when communities were small and interactions between people could be numbered in the hundreds or thousands, but now I can type a message on twitter and have hundreds of thousands of people see it.

Does that mean we have to be MORE sensitive and censor ourselves to the point where we are shy to post ANY opinion? Or should we be MORE understanding of different cultures and seek to learn from others?

I'm Native American, Scottish, German, and Bolivian ... I have a lot of opportunity to be offended by my "people" being taken advantage of in the past. Or I can learn about other points of view and engage in dialogs to help other people learn too.

It's a shame it has to be perceived as a "loss" to anyone to have a shirt that celebrates a culture.

JAZZNC
02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I think that this is just a case of SOME of the black community being shorsighted/ignorant of the situation. It has absolutely nothing to do with black culture and isn't derogatory in any way towards them. But they just see a word that MIGHT POSSIBLY be seen as offensive and then complain about it. I am so sick of this world we are becoming where people can get butt hurt over literally anything and then the rest of us sensible adults have to accommodate their pussiness.

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 02:16 PM
I think that this is just a case of SOME of the black community being shorsighted/ignorant of the situation. It has absolutely nothing to do with black culture and isn't derogatory in any way towards them. But they just see a word that MIGHT POSSIBLY be seen as offensive and then complain about it. I am so sick of this world we are becoming where people can get butt hurt over literally anything and then the rest of us sensible adults have to accommodate their pussiness.

Why do they have to be ******* because of their sensitiveness about race relations that clearly America has and is failing in?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
With that said they should hand them out tonight tho. I don't see any reason why not to hand them out on the last home game prior to the CNW

JLynn943
02-03-2016, 02:27 PM
I get the concern, but it's a shame that it's at the cost of celebrating another culture. I think this could have been used better as an educational moment about Chinese culture (especially with Ranadive's whole NBA 3.0 thing), but it's not terrible to just give out the shirts after the new year I guess.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Why do they have to be ******* because of their sensitiveness about race relations that clearly America has and is failing in?

One thing about that that bugs me is that the US is actually aware of race relations and talks about it openly. There are many many "civilized" places in the world where race relations are not talked about and are much worse.

The US isn't failing ... it's trying, and it's getting better.

JAZZNC
02-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Because you are being a ***** if you are whining about being offended by this. Tell me again how this has anything to do with racism? That's right it doesn't. This is just a bunch of whiny *****es complaining about something they don't know anything about and are too ignorant to educate themselves on. Instead of trying to understand the meaning of the shirts they just see the word "monkey" and start crying. That my friend is the definition of pussiness and ignorance. And yet we still have to cater to these people. Why is it that racial ignorance is OK as long as it doesn't involve ignorance towards black culture?

Scoots
02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Because you are being a ***** if you are whining about being offended by this. Tell me again how this has anything to do with racism? That's right it doesn't. This is just a bunch of whiny *****es complaining about something they don't know anything about and are too ignorant to educate themselves on. Instead of trying to understand the meaning of the shirts they just see the word "monkey" and start crying. That my friend is the definition of pussiness and ignorance. And yet we still have to cater to these people. Why is it that racial ignorance is OK as long as it doesn't involve ignorance towards black culture?

I find it a little funny that the person railing the most vehemently against it is apparently a Jazz fan. The Jazz home arena where people used to play "spot the black guy in the stands" while watching games on TV (it was not an easy game to win).

JAZZNC
02-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I find it a little funny that the person railing the most vehemently against it is apparently a Jazz fan. The Jazz home arena where people used to play "spot the black guy in the stands" while watching games on TV (it was not an easy game to win).

I was waiting on the obligatory "you're just a racist white guy from Utah" statement. At least you articulated it nicely!

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I get the concern, but it's a shame that it's at the cost of celebrating another culture. I think this could have been used better as an educational moment about Chinese culture (especially with Ranadive's whole NBA 3.0 thing), but it's not terrible to just give out the shirts after the new year I guess.

Very well said!

Scoots
02-03-2016, 03:59 PM
I was waiting on the obligatory "you're just a racist white guy from Utah" statement. At least you articulated it nicely!

I didn't say you were racist or white or in Utah :)

I don't think you are completely wrong, just saying it in a coarse fashion. I think Cousins is being as short sighted as the schools who have dismissed teachers for using the word "nigardly"

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

One thing about that that bugs me is that the US is actually aware of race relations and talks about it openly. There are many many "civilized" places in the world where race relations are not talked about and are much worse.

The US isn't failing ... it's trying, and it's getting better.

Lol it is tho. It's not failing based on what? Laws or regulations can not change the inherent feelings that majority has about minorities. America made the bed now it has to sleep in it.

ewing
02-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Lol it is tho. It's not failing based on what? Laws or regulations can not change the inherent feelings that majority has about minorities. America made the bed now it has to sleep in it.

If you don't mind me asking Bgd what do you do for the disadvantaged? I always wonder when i encounter people that seems to think people are so bad

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Ok still no reason to call them *******. You have no idea what he has personally be through on the racism regard. So to completely dismiss his disapproval is rather childish. Granted it might have been just a coincidence but it may not have been. Minorities have to assume the worse. Lol cater yes you do because that it the way America wanted it. Whites are catered every day what's the point?

NYKNYGNYY
02-03-2016, 04:23 PM
The world is so soft

ewing
02-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Ok still no reason to call them *******. You have no idea what he has personally be through on the racism regard. So to completely dismiss his disapproval is rather childish. Granted it might have been just a coincidence but it may not have been. Minorities have to assume the worse. Lol cater yes you do because that it the way America wanted it. Whites are catered every day what's the point?

That a horrible way to think in any circumstance. its unfortunately that this happened. I doubt there was a racial intention. The Jazz were probably right to stop when it got brought up b/c well stopping didn't hurt anyone and continuing apparently was going to upset people. Doesn't make getting mad over it not a stupid, pointless thing thing to do.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 04:25 PM
That a horrible way to think in any circumstance. its unfortunately that this happened. I doubt there was a racial intention. The Jazz were probably right to stop when it got brought up b/c well stopping didn't hurt anyone and continuing apparently was going to upset people. Doesn't make getting mad over it not a stupid, pointless thing thing to do.

'Twas the Kings.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking Vlade what do you do for the disadvantaged? I always wonder when i encounter people that seems to think people are so bad

I AM disadvantaged ... so I donate the only thing I can ... time, and not enough of it to make a difference really.

ewing
02-03-2016, 04:29 PM
I AM disadvantaged ... so I donate the only thing I can ... time, and not enough of it to make a difference really.

i think you probably do make a difference.

ewing
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM
'Twas the Kings.

my bad, got caught up in the other convo

Scoots
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM

You honestly feel that the majority of people in the US hate minorities because of their race? I've lived in CA, TX, and PA and I honestly think the majority of people in the US don't even think about race at all, they are too busy living their own lives to be bothered.

CHANGO
02-03-2016, 04:41 PM
I think it's stupid. And people who are offended by this are just being over-sensitive.

JAZZNC
02-03-2016, 05:19 PM
You honestly feel that the majority of people in the US hate minorities because of their race? I've lived in CA, TX, and PA and I honestly think the majority of people in the US don't even think about race at all, they are too busy living their own lives to be bothered.

This!!!

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 05:30 PM

If you don't mind me asking Bgd what do you do for the disadvantaged? I always wonder when i encounter people that seems to think people are so bad

I honestly don't think all people are bad. However I don't turn a blind cheek to what boils down to a race with a 400 year head start. I don't forget the history of this country. I don't forget all the people's lives lost, the free labor to build this country, the wealth and opportunities that were pass dowm from generation to generation. Or group of people who's country was taken and then killed off. Yes what Demarcus said could be off base yes, however he is not a ***** for feeling that way. It's a very insensitive comment that leads me to believe he is close minded and does not look beyond his own nose. If your asking me what I do what does it matter?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Agreed but unfortunately the years of what America has done it has almost left no other option.

MonroeFAN
02-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Who gives a ****

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 05:37 PM

Hate is a strong word I would say careless, prejudice towards or prefer not to deal with them . In ca, TX or Pa were you black?

ewing
02-03-2016, 05:45 PM
I honestly don't think all people are bad. However I don't turn a blind cheek to what boils down to a race with a 400 year head start. I don't forget the history of this country. I don't forget all the people's lives lost, the free labor to build this country, the wealth and opportunities that were pass dowm from generation to generation. Or group of people who's country was taken and then killed off. Yes what Demarcus said could be off base yes, however he is not a ***** for feeling that way. It's a very insensitive comment that leads me to believe he is close minded and does not look beyond his own nose. If your asking me what I do what does it matter?

Personal curiosity

Scoots
02-03-2016, 05:51 PM

But do you remember the oppression and destruction of the Native Americans by Europeans? Or the oppression of the Scottish, Welsh, and Irish by the English? Or the mass murder of the Latin Americans by the Spanish and the Portuguese? Or the mass slaughter of the Polish and German people by the Nazis?

Oppression is ALL over human history. How can you value one over the other? I was brought up privileged but poor by being born in the US, and while I can get a pretty dark tan because of my heritage the Scottish in me has had enough effect that I appear more Caucasian than Latino or Native American ... does that make me one of the oppressors?

What you are talking about is in reality a tiny portion of the society in the US and most of the current oligarchy doesn't give a damn about race. They care for themselves, for money, and for power ... the color of your skin or hair and the shape of your features matter not at all to them.

"a race with a 400 year head start"? Do you think that indigenous Africans who never left are better off with their "head start"?

Peoples of every color have been screwed over by the people with money and power and society in the US is at least more aware of that than the vast majority of the world is. No place is perfect but minorities in the US are in much much better shape on average than anywhere else ... I sometimes think the reason we feel like we are so put upon because of race is because we talk about it so much ... but things have improved a LOT because we talk about it.

In this particular case, we could have helped 2 cultures learn about each other and instead a multi-millionaire had his feelings soothed by a billion dollar organization.

#BlackLivesMatter is not so much a race problem, but a police problem and a judiciary problem. If police were smacked down more often and more thoroughly when they did get out of hand it would happen less often. We need to legalize all drugs and not lock people up for non-violent crimes. The implementation of those laws IS racist and is the worst in this country BY FAR. But that is still just a small number of people who are looking to get rich or get powerful and they to don't care about the color of your skin. I've been put down by police by baton twice, had a gun aimed at my by a cop once, been pulled over several times for no reason ("you looked like you needed it!") and been arrested for no good reason 3 times. The majority of the Police in this country are good guys, but it is also a landing spot for power hungry psychos and an alarmingly high rate. It must be fixed.

Is NOT having a Year of the Monkey shirt available to Kings fans going to help ANYBODY?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Scoots none of those oppression pertain to America (white - black) which is what I am speaking of. So it holds no water. So just because blacks have it "better" than Africans makes it ok? Wrong is wrong is wrong regardless how you cut it. The public education system for one has been horrible forever and still is clearly one of our weak points as a country. That directly translates to our middle class dissappearing. Oh and Africa haha don't get me started on that place. It holds like over 50% of our world's natural resources and continues to get raped for it. So that's not a fair point. I think we should talk about race more. I believe it helps. Anything on this site about race I usually post. I'm always in the minority which is ok because I am.

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Scoots don't take this conversation the wrong way. I'm good with you its just a convo about race no biggie! Sorry needed to say that because some people get all wierd about it

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Let's not forget I'm not arguing for the shirts to be banned but I am arguing that Cousins is not a *****.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Scoots none of those oppression pertain to America (white - black) which is what I am speaking of. So it holds no water. So just because blacks have it "better" than Africans makes it ok? Wrong is wrong is wrong regardless how you cut it. The public education system for one has been horrible forever and still is clearly one of our weak points as a country. That directly translates to our middle class dissappearing. Oh and Africa haha don't get me started on that place. It holds like over 50% of our world's natural resources and continues to get raped for it. So that's not a fair point. I think we should talk about race more. I believe it helps. Anything on this site about race I usually post. I'm always in the minority which is ok because I am.

But my original contention was not that "race no biggie" but that things were a lot better here than elsewhere and that the US wasn't "failing" it was just succeeding slowly. Things are better now than ever before overall but we are more aware now of the things that are wrong and that very awareness can help us solve the problem, but getting hung up on silly things like the Chinese year of the Monkey isn't going move us forward, it's just spinning our wheels.

The public education system (which my wife won a victory over today, no kidding) is terrible, and it's terrible for everyone and it has very little to do with money considering that CA is top 5 in spending and bottom 10 in quality. It is not a race issue, is a f'd up government issue where people are exercising control because they want the power and the control and they think we are all too stupid to notice.

I'm not sure we can talk about race more since it is already such a significant subject in our public discourse already. I think we should talk about race BETTER.

Just to be clear, I've got no issue with you at all. I just enjoy discussion.

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Cheers!

IndyRealist
02-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I lived in IN, OH, and TX, and I have the exact opposite opinion. People instantly and constantly stereotype based on race, it's often negative, and they don't think it's racist to do so. I had a flight coming back to TX and one of my coworkers didn't make the trip, so I knew there was a seat that was supposed to be empty, and a guy in a camo baseball cap started to get into his seat, saw the well dressed black man with beats headphones he was supposed to be next to, and moved into the seat I knew wasn't his. That is the state of race relations in the US, in a nutshell.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 10:10 PM
hai, can you splain how monkeys and black history month are related and considered races?

I haven't seen anybody pick up on this.

Here's the story:

Sacramento has a large Chinese-American population. this weekend celebrates the Chinese New Year, and the upcoming year will the the Year of the Monkey.

In celebration of this significant portion of the Kings' fan base, the team was handing out t-shirts to celebrate the YOTM that integrated the team's logo/colour with a monkey.

Sounds great, right?

Except, that they were handing them on the first day of February, which is also the first day of Black History Month, and the term 'monkey' is steeped in racial attitudes. DeMarcus Cousins thought this was inappropriate, and the team pulled the t-shirts.

But it seems sad to me that one community (the Asian community) gets is celebration derailed, though the concern is obvious.

Tonight is the King's final home game before the Chinese New Year, and they will not have another until well over week after the Chinese new Year.

Should the Kings give these t-shirts out tonight? Should they scrap this altogether?

If this was the Year of the Dragon, there'd be no problems, but sadly the racially charged iconography puts two marginalized groups against each other.

What are your thoughts?

Please be respectful.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Lol is Boogie really that insensitive?

BHM doesn't take precedence over any other culture, you know.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Isn't 28 days enough for Cousins? Let the Chinese culture have 1 day. They've earned it.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 10:22 PM
lol 400 year head start. the chinese built the railroads and were oppressed too.
asians came over here not even speaking the language with a couple of dollars (e.g. no wealth to pass down) and within a couple of generations, are the wealthiest ethnic group in the US.

methinks it's time to stop blaming whitey for all the problems.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 10:26 PM
"a race with a 400 year head start"? Do you think that indigenous Africans who never left are better off with their "head start"?

as bad as black americans have it in the US, i bet the large majority would rather live in the worst ghetto here t han in sub saharan afriker.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 10:27 PM
yup, blame the publik skool system. it's always someone elses fault, not with parenting at home. is i right?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 10:42 PM
lol 400 year head start. the chinese built the railroads and were oppressed too.
asians came over here not even speaking the language with a couple of dollars (e.g. no wealth to pass down) and within a couple of generations, are the wealthiest ethnic group in the US.

methinks it's time to stop blaming whitey for all the problems.

You sound so ****ing ignorant it actually makes me sad that I'm even responding to you. So since you know so much tell me what blacks didn't do to be in this current state. I would also assume you believe there are no inequalities currently when it comes to race?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Actually never mind whatever your name is your clearly a troll and offer nothing but hate and ignorance. It disgusting that your even allowed to post.

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Actually never mind whatever your name is your clearly a troll and offer nothing but hate and ignorance. It disgusting that your even allowed to post.

some free edumacation for j00
you're != your
kthxbai

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 10:56 PM

you're != your
kthxbai

Cool!

numba1CHANGsta
02-03-2016, 11:15 PM
lol okay might as well get rid of Valentine's Day too right?

bgdreton
02-03-2016, 11:17 PM
lol okay might as well get rid of Valentine's Day too right?

Well that is a BS "holiday" tho..

blahblahyoutoo
02-03-2016, 11:25 PM
You sound so ****ing ignorant it actually makes me sad that I'm even responding to you. So since you know so much tell me what blacks didn't do to be in this current state. I would also assume you believe there are no inequalities currently when it comes to race?

oh fo sho there be inequalities between races.

Shady66
02-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Here in Vancouver we have become China's favorite place to come and launder money. Half the buildings aren't even in English anymore. I don't feel too bad lol

blahblahyoutoo
02-04-2016, 12:50 AM
Cool!

and to answer the question you be axing, inner city blacks are the only group who thinks speaking proper english is not cool. acting white is not cool. other cultures value education but if you got good grades, you is a sell out.
so yes, they is doing it to themselves.

not to say that racism is eradicated, but in an age where more than half of america voted for obummer, skin color alone is not holding blacks back, like it was pre-1960s.
people of any color are now being judged by how you dress, speak and act. there's plenty of blacks who are successful because of education and good work ethic (athletes and entertainers aside), and because they don't subscribe to the ghetto, gangbanger, generational welfare recipient, deadbeat dad lifestyle.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 02:16 AM
I lived in IN, OH, and TX, and I have the exact opposite opinion. People instantly and constantly stereotype based on race, it's often negative, and they don't think it's racist to do so. I had a flight coming back to TX and one of my coworkers didn't make the trip, so I knew there was a seat that was supposed to be empty, and a guy in a camo baseball cap started to get into his seat, saw the well dressed black man with beats headphones he was supposed to be next to, and moved into the seat I knew wasn't his. That is the state of race relations in the US, in a nutshell.
Can't camo cap guy just be a punk and not a racist? People are getting more self centered. I think most people don't really care about anyone else at all.

ewing
02-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Can't camo cap guy just be a punk and not a racist? People are getting more self centered. I think most people don't really care about anyone else at all.

I agree. That's why i asked whats his name what he actually did to help people. Get out there and do something, you'll realize that most people are good. sitting on your coach an assuming bad in everyone is no help.

IndyRealist
02-04-2016, 10:28 AM

That's a bias, i just can't think of the specific name right now. Like when a guy shoots up a movie theater but saying it's just a problem with THAT guy, not a systemic problem with our society. Which is why this sh** never gets fixed and people continue to shoot up schools, churches, etc. Admitting something is wrong with the society we live in means admitting we have an obligation to do something about it instead of saying it's an isolated individual and not my responsibility.

Anyway, a sports forum probably isn't the best place for a discussion like this.

Scoots
02-04-2016, 12:48 PM
That's a bias, i just can't think of the specific name right now. Like when a guy shoots up a movie theater but saying it's just a problem with THAT guy, not a systemic problem with our society. Which is why this sh** never gets fixed and people continue to shoot up schools, churches, etc. Admitting something is wrong with the society we live in means admitting we have an obligation to do something about it instead of saying it's an isolated individual and not my responsibility.

Anyway, a sports forum probably isn't the best place for a discussion like this.

But nobody (reasonable) is saying there is no problem ... it's the idea that most people want to shoot up a theater is where it gets so very wrong. The vast majority of people in the US are not racist, they are selfish and inconsiderate. That is a long way from saying there are no racists.

If it was a white guy shooting up a theater who never said anything about race, if the theater audience was 10% black some people would see it as a race issue.

Another version of the same thing is "hate crimes" ... I have gay friends who think every straight guy who hits a gay guy is doing it out of hate so I have to explain to them that drunken as$h0les are sometimes just drunken as$h0les who hit people.

I think we fail ourselves when we act on stereotype just as we fail ourselves when we assume motivations are racial when they may not be.

Violent crime is at the lowest level in the US it's been at in 40 years, but the coverage is at the highest it's ever been. Perception is not reality.

White people are beaten to death by police too ... and they get away with it then too. I'm NOT saying it is the same, or motivated the same, or at the same rate ... but I am saying the issue is not JUST about black/white, it is about bad cops out of control.