PDA

View Full Version : Players that would transition era well and players that wouldn't

ewing
02-03-2016, 09:44 AM
For instance I think Brad Lohaus would be a better player today then he was in the 90's I think Mike Gminski would be worse. Give some guys that you think era would make a sig difference for

valade16
02-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I think every player playing today wouldn't be able to make an NBA team in the 60's because blah blah skills, blah blah blah fundamentals blah blah blah more physical.

ewing
02-03-2016, 09:54 AM
I think every player playing today wouldn't be able to make an NBA team in the 60's because blah blah skills, blah blah blah fundamentals blah blah blah more physical.

you are never entrenched vlade

R. Johnson#3
02-03-2016, 10:07 AM
There was a discussion similar to this before. I think Jeff Hornacek would be even better in todays NBA.

KnicksorBust
02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Melo could play in any era.

ewing
02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Mike Dunlevy was taken #2 overall and i remember thinking it was horrible pick (i was hardly alone). That was 13 years ago and 6'10 220 with range and versatility wasn't as valuable. He was clearly soft and that's why it was a bad pick. If he started his career now, i think Dunleavy could make all star teams

Method28
02-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Players with true skill like players who can really shoot the ball or run the floor (pg) could play in any era so far.

ewing
02-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Players with true skill like players who can really shoot the ball or run the floor (pg) could play in any era so far.

hate to break it to you but these guys have skill

valade16
02-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Mike Dunlevy was taken #2 overall and i remember thinking it was horrible pick (i was hardly alone). That was 13 years ago and 6'10 220 with range and versatility wasn't as valuable. He was clearly soft and that's why it was a bad pick. If he started his career now, i think Dunleavy could make all star teams

If Dunleavy developed parts of his game we haven't seen him develop maybe, but I doubt it. First, Dunleavy is still playing, although he's older, he's certainly not a great player in the league. His best season was 2007-2008 with Indiana when he averaged 19 PPG on 40% from 3.

Ryan Anderson sort of does a lot of the same stuff Dunleavy would supposedly be in high demand for and certainly nobody is saying he should be an All-Star.

I would love to see Larry Bird, Pete Maravich, Jerry Lucas, Rick Barry and Bob McAdoo in today's NBA.

kdspurman
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
The Spurs were honoring George Gervin the other night, I've seen clips of him and footage, but not old enough to have watched him live.

I almost started a thread, but I was curious to those who watched him, how do you think he would do if he played today?

ewing
02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
If Dunleavy developed parts of his game we haven't seen him develop maybe, but I doubt it. First, Dunleavy is still playing, although he's older, he's certainly not a great player in the league. His best season was 2007-2008 with Indiana when he averaged 19 PPG on 40% from 3.

Ryan Anderson sort of does a lot of the same stuff Dunleavy would supposedly be in high demand for and certainly nobody is saying he should be an All-Star.

I would love to see Larry Bird, Pete Maravich, Jerry Lucas, Rick Barry and Bob McAdoo in today's NBA.

yeah but they are awesome anywhere anytime. I know Mike wasn't drafted that long ago but he was still seen as position-less and soft and neither were compliments. guys taken 2nd and given every opportunity to succeed. I think he would have a better chance today then he did just 13 years ago.

ewing
02-03-2016, 03:18 PM
I think Nene would transition back better. Good player today, who had injury problems.

NYKalltheway
02-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Melo could play in any era.

Amen to that.

I'll add Chris Paul and Anthony Davis from the top shelf guys still in their primes.

mngopher35
02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
As much as people are saying the skills needed to translate I think having size+athletecism+durability for the pace/toughness would be a big factor for some too depending on how far back we are talking (up tempo game is usually in their strengths and higher pace would enhance those opportunities). For example I think players like Westbrook and Lebron who can be hampered by zones and don't space as much would fit nicely in an era where you couldn't just stack their side and where the tempo was higher (we have seen multiple times in the playoffs a team basically ignore teammates to create a wall/zone off). Passing is important for the doubles/traps that would come in earlier eras but both are very good passers so I see no issue.

Overall I think most top level talent would be able to play and adapt in any era but some of the role players might be thought of a bit differently depending on the era I guess (example today 3 pt shooting is a bigger part of the game even though shooters have always been used/needed it is at a high in value/use right now I would say)

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2016, 12:02 AM
I don't remember Mike Gminski ever being very good?

Lohaus, with his 3, would be more valuable today. I seem to remember him being a poor defender though. not a 100% on that.

But I think it's guys like Laimbeer and Perkins that would really shine today. Laimbeer especially because he was such a strong defender and rebounder, but also spread the floor. That allows him to be a conventional C/PF on defense, but serve as stretch player on the offensive end.

Sabonis obviously as well.

ewing
02-04-2016, 12:34 AM
I don't remember Mike Gminski ever being very good?

Lohaus, with his 3, would be more valuable today. I seem to remember him being a poor defender though. not a 100% on that.

But I think it's guys like Laimbeer and Perkins that would really shine today. Laimbeer especially because he was such a strong defender and rebounder, but also spread the floor. That allows him to be a conventional C/PF on defense, but serve as stretch player on the offensive end.

Sabonis obviously as well.

Gminski wasn't very good but he was quality. he was just slow as dirt. Lohaus was **** on D though. you are right about that but how much of that was b/c a big guy with a 150 pound bench couldn't survive in that era.

KingJames6
02-04-2016, 10:36 AM
The Spurs were honoring George Gervin the other night, I've seen clips of him and footage, but not old enough to have watched him live.

I almost started a thread, but I was curious to those who watched him, how do you think he would do if he played today?

Gervin? He'd dominate in today's NBA as well as he did before, especially given the rarity of his breed. He was essentially KD without a 3 point shot and generally less efficient, especially in his all around game. Both issues could be fixed in today's era, especially the latter, as his style of play would allow him more free throws. Gervin was smoothness personified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjHZJL6Jj8

valade16
02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Gervin? He'd dominate in today's NBA as well as he did before, especially given the rarity of his breed. He was essentially KD without a 3 point shot and generally less efficient, especially in his all around game. Both issues could be fixed in today's era, especially the latter, as his style of play would allow him more free throws. Gervin was smoothness personified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjHZJL6Jj8

Gervin was actually very efficient for a high volume scoring guard. He'd do very well in this era. His biggest weakness he'd have to rectify is not having a great outside shot (though he was good from midrange). He wasn't the best defender, but Harden has proved you really don't have to be as a high scoring guard.

shep33
02-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Just a side note, I have so much respect for KG, Duncan, Kobe, etc. because they dominated in two separate eras.

Anyways. I think Pierce's game was better suited for past eras as opposed to today's run and gun game. I think Tom Chambers would be better today, I think Kemp would have better numbers today as well.

ewing
02-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Just a side note, I have so much respect for KG, Duncan, Kobe, etc. because they dominated in two separate eras.

Anyways. I think Pierce's game was better suited for past eras as opposed to today's run and gun game. I think Tom Chambers would be better today, I think Kemp would have better numbers today as well.

Chambers is actually a really good look. Maybe ced ceballos too. Both guys weren't defenders and i don't know how that translates both both were born for an open court game