PDA

View Full Version : Replace CP3 for Curry on the Clips.

LOb0
02-01-2016, 12:02 PM
How good are they? Best team in the league?

tredigs
02-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Hell no. Their bench is weak, they still have no legit SF and that team is just in disarray in general thanks to GM Doc. CP3 is the last person they'd want to replace.

shep33
02-01-2016, 12:26 PM
They'd be better than they currently are

Tony_Starks
02-01-2016, 12:30 PM
championship

IndyRealist
02-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Why do people think the answer is always "throw more scorers at it"?

Alayla
02-01-2016, 12:49 PM
They would be better on paper but in practice i think they would be worse for awhile as someone said above CP3 is the last person they should be looking to replace. There entire system would need to change if they did as well. People just need to cool it with these CP3 fantasy trades.

But even when things start to click that wouldn't put them in championship range.

KnicksorBust
02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
If they replaced CP3 with Curry they would be about the same.

If they replaced Blake with Curry they would be amazing.

Bostonjorge
02-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Championships team for sure. Remember when Blake took down SA last year in the playoffs? You double curry on the pick and leave Blake open with a open lane to the basket then game over. Blake can finish over anyone in the league.

Chronz
02-01-2016, 03:12 PM
I was for this trade when Curry was a young pup barely cresting into an All-Star and soon to be superstar. Now that hes reached Tier-1 level, it would be a no brainer. The reason I wanted it back then was because I thought we needed to make a choice on who to build around between CP3 and Blake. Blake would have been the primary playmaker with Curry flanking him in that scenario. I imagined him using Curry in a fashion similar to Reddick with dribble hand offs and the like only with the added option of Curry being able to run the offense with him. Less lobs but more assists for Blake.

Now that Curry is undoubtedly superior to both Clips, I imagine Blake playing more like DG. He cant match his paint protection and his range isn't there yet, but hes got alot of the same versatility, just at a B or C level. He can switch off onto smalls, he can play the 4v3 game with the best of them and hes got long2 level range. So instead of those attacks at the top of the key, you'll see them attack from the elbows/wings in the PnR. Tho Blake developing a 3 (at least at Drays Y2 level) seems a likely development, assuming his hand heals 100%.

Clips take alot of 3's but they have been the leagues best offense for the better part of 3 years in spite of cramped spacing, a product of being one of the more traditional units (they take alot of midrange jumpers and play 2 bigs that dont shoot 3's). The reason they have thrived is because of their passing acumen, they dont make mistakes with the ball and thats been a common characteristic of a CP3 led team. Curry would most definitely help the spacing but there would be some fall off in the turnover battle, which would hurt their already poorous defensive standing over the years , tho thats improved with Blakes departure now that we can play D first guys. Which is why I think people make the mistake of assuming the Clips need more offense when what they need most has ALWAYS been on the other end.

Yes, I do think Curry would make them better (2nd tier contender in the OKC mold (abit better) instead of the All-Timers) but I also think adding Green instead of Blake would have a similar effect and produce the biggest difference maker. I view Blake as the superior player but Im starting to wonder if its too much to ask he be the #1 guy on a team when it takes so much out of his defense, really wish Blake would watch tape of Malone in the post, hes got a similar build/strength (for this era). He just tires out very quickly, he can crush you in R.1 but last year by R2 he was spent defensively.

Offense would get better but I still value CP3's defense more and his decision making with the ball has a ripple effect on that D. Curry doesn't move all that much defensively, hes sort of tasked with staying at home mostly whereas CP3 LOVES to help and can still recover without incessant gambling.

But who do you start?

Curry
JJ
______
Blake
DJ

Right now you've had the choice of Pierce, Wes, and Moute who are all pretty much covering for each others weaknesses (which Blake cant do) when they share the front court. They are really all hybrid 3's, the most natural choice to me seems to be Wes but Doc insists as having him be an offensive presence for the 2nd unit. Which makes sense but this team is flawed outside the big-4, they make it work with brilliant coaching.

Sometimes I wonder if Blake should just take one for the team and become the 6MOY ala Kevin McHale to provide his team more balance.

Chronz
02-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Championships team for sure. Remember when Blake took down SA last year in the playoffs? You double curry on the pick and leave Blake open with a open lane to the basket then game over. Blake can finish over anyone in the league.

LOL, are you transplanting the entire GS system and role players or just Curry? Blake wouldn't have a wide open lane, he would have Moute's man stunting the roll, or DJ's man near him (Which would lead to a DJ lob if the team doesn't pre-rotate or to a 3point shot from guys not named Klay or Iggy/Barnes, but from Moute and Wesley Johnson. Occasionally they have to leave Reddick tho, and he and Steph would become the new splash bros.

Still an elite team but you overrate how often Blake would get dunk and you seemingly ignore Blakes evolution into a jump shooter. He doesn't really finish as much anymore.

KnicksorBust
02-01-2016, 09:06 PM
I was for this trade when Curry was a young pup barely cresting into an All-Star and soon to be superstar. Now that hes reached Tier-1 level, it would be a no brainer. The reason I wanted it back then was because I thought we needed to make a choice on who to build around between CP3 and Blake. Blake would have been the primary playmaker with Curry flanking him in that scenario. I imagined him using Curry in a fashion similar to Reddick with dribble hand offs and the like only with the added option of Curry being able to run the offense with him. Less lobs but more assists for Blake.

Now that Curry is undoubtedly superior to both Clips, I imagine Blake playing more like DG. He cant match his paint protection and his range isn't there yet, but hes got alot of the same versatility, just at a B or C level. He can switch off onto smalls, he can play the 4v3 game with the best of them and hes got long2 level range. So instead of those attacks at the top of the key, you'll see them attack from the elbows/wings in the PnR. Tho Blake developing a 3 (at least at Drays Y2 level) seems a likely development, assuming his hand heals 100%.

Clips take alot of 3's but they have been the leagues best offense for the better part of 3 years in spite of cramped spacing, a product of being one of the more traditional units (they take alot of midrange jumpers and play 2 bigs that dont shoot 3's). The reason they have thrived is because of their passing acumen, they dont make mistakes with the ball and thats been a common characteristic of a CP3 led team. Curry would most definitely help the spacing but there would be some fall off in the turnover battle, which would hurt their already poorous defensive standing over the years , tho thats improved with Blakes departure now that we can play D first guys. Which is why I think people make the mistake of assuming the Clips need more offense when what they need most has ALWAYS been on the other end.

Yes, I do think Curry would make them better (2nd tier contender in the OKC mold (abit better) instead of the All-Timers) but I also think adding Green instead of Blake would have a similar effect and produce the biggest difference maker. I view Blake as the superior player but Im starting to wonder if its too much to ask he be the #1 guy on a team when it takes so much out of his defense, really wish Blake would watch tape of Malone in the post, hes got a similar build/strength (for this era). He just tires out very quickly, he can crush you in R.1 but last year by R2 he was spent defensively.

Offense would get better but I still value CP3's defense more and his decision making with the ball has a ripple effect on that D. Curry doesn't move all that much defensively, hes sort of tasked with staying at home mostly whereas CP3 LOVES to help and can still recover without incessant gambling.

But who do you start?

Curry
JJ
______
Blake
DJ

Right now you've had the choice of Pierce, Wes, and Moute who are all pretty much covering for each others weaknesses (which Blake cant do) when they share the front court. They are really all hybrid 3's, the most natural choice to me seems to be Wes but Doc insists as having him be an offensive presence for the 2nd unit. Which makes sense but this team is flawed outside the big-4, they make it work with brilliant coaching.

Sometimes I wonder if Blake should just take one for the team and become the 6MOY ala Kevin McHale to provide his team more balance.

I would argue CP3-Curry-Jordan is a better trio than Curry-Blake-Jordan.

Thoughts?

blahblahyoutoo
02-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Why do people think the answer is always "throw more scorers at it"?

lol @ j00 for thinking curry is just a sorcerer.
he doesn't even have that many mana points.

MTar786
02-03-2016, 02:56 AM
curry is in a league cp3 has never seen before

BKLYNpigeon
02-03-2016, 03:15 AM
I would argue CP3-Curry-Jordan is a better trio than Curry-Blake-Jordan.

Thoughts?

Both teams are different and run different offenses.

Method28
02-03-2016, 04:18 AM
lol @ j00 for thinking curry is just a sorcerer.
he doesn't even have that many mana points.
I think he's more than a sorcerer. He's an all powerful genie!

numba1CHANGsta
02-03-2016, 04:46 AM
Are we switching players? or just taking out CP3 and putting in Curry? cuz in that case the Clippers are the 2nd best team in the NBA. Redick is no Klay, but he can still shoot lights out so the back court would be one of the best in the league. Then you still have BG/DJ which is better than a Green/Bogut combo. My only issue with the Clippers is their bench as compared to the GSW bench. So Yes the Clippers would be a better team but they prob wouldn't win the championship.

Scoots
02-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I think he's more than a sorcerer. He's an all powerful genie!

Beat me to it :)

mavwar53
02-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I think it would be about even, maybe a slight upgrade for the clips, one of the great things that gets more open shots for the Warriors is Green passing ability off the screen and being able to pass the ball into Bogut and him pass the ball out, something Jordan had no clue how to do. If there is one problem with the clips it is Jordan is god awful on offense other than dunking the ball on lobs or put backs. Bogut isn't a great shooter but he passes so well that he is still an asset. The other problem for the clips is the bench. So many warriors can play multiple positions that they can switch so often and even someone like Curry can play SG because someone like Livingston is tall enough to guard SG or SF, he'll even Barbosa has stepped up on D and plays strong unlike his size most of the time.

I think the main difference though is the Warriors chemistry, they rarely run set plays while the clippers many times run the offense through Blake and become stagnant at times. Curry in that offense wouldn't be used to the highest of his abilities.

Also just want to point out that the guard for guard screen is working great right now for the dubs. Klaus and Steph are so dangerous that when defenders miscommunicate and one of them springs open for the lay up or open 3 because 2 defenders chase the other guy it's a killer.

Chronz
02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
I think it would be about even, maybe a slight upgrade for the clips, one of the great things that gets more open shots for the Warriors is Green passing ability off the screen and being able to pass the ball into Bogut and him pass the ball out, something Jordan had no clue how to do. If there is one problem with the clips it is Jordan is god awful on offense other than dunking the ball on lobs or put backs.
I dont think its much of a problem, just a different skillset that is still incredibly valuable. Hes become a master at running the PnR when he has the room to operate. Thats why when you say Bogut and Green aren't as good, well you're right but the fit for their team is impeccable, whereas DJ and Blake have always stunted each others offensive game to a degree the decreases their potential value.

Like if I could trade Blake for Green and a decent bench piece, I would do it. Green would provide the space for DJ and they would compliment each other defensively. CP3 has already proven capable of running elite offenses without Blake, what he needs is an elite defensive support since he can only do so much on that end.

So lets say with Blake the Clips are an A++ offense and potentially a B level defensive team (thats being hopeful), with Green they would still be an A or A+ offense but they would most definitely be an A+ Defense. I think thats more conducive to winning, GM's have been looking for the next glue big who spaces and defends since Rasheed Wallace, those guys can make a huge difference without the ball, it just so happens Green can put it on the floor more.

DJ is a pretty smart passer sometimes too.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
I think it would be interesting to see CP3 helming the Warriors. I think they'd actually be just as good, but that Barnes, and Klay would have better numbers. Green's assists my take a dip, but I think he'd still be really effective.

CP3 would look like an MVP on that roster.

I think Curry would improve the Clippers on paper, but I feel like the Warriors are well coached and that everybody buys into the system. I don't always get that when I watch the Clippers. CP3 is a bit of a bull dog, in a good way, and he keeps on people. I don't think BG needs to stay motivated, but I feel like CP3 needs to get on a lot of players there to keep them in the game. I might just think that because I see him doing that, but I don't feel like Curry would be that kind of leader. He's more the lead by example type. Still a great quality to have as a leader, but different teams need different types of leaders, and I think CP3 is more of what the Clippers need.

That said... Curry's play seems to be contagious. so...that might be unfair.

tredigs
02-03-2016, 07:49 PM
I think it would be interesting to see CP3 helming the Warriors. I think they'd actually be just as good, but that Barnes, and Klay would have better numbers. Green's assists my take a dip, but I think he'd still be really effective.

CP3 would look like an MVP on that roster.

I think Curry would improve the Clippers on paper, but I feel like the Warriors are well coached and that everybody buys into the system. I don't always get that when I watch the Clippers. CP3 is a bit of a bull dog, in a good way, and he keeps on people. I don't think BG needs to stay motivated, but I feel like CP3 needs to get on a lot of players there to keep them in the game. I might just think that because I see him doing that, but I don't feel like Curry would be that kind of leader. He's more the lead by example type. Still a great quality to have as a leader, but different teams need different types of leaders, and I think CP3 is more of what the Clippers need.

That said... Curry's play seems to be contagious. so...that might be unfair.

No, the Warriors would definitely not be just as good with CP3 instead of Curry. He can't space the floor like Curry and would never command the double teams on the PnR to the extent that Curry does. He also doesn't move without the ball at anywhere near the volume that Curry is capable of, and that in itself is a major component of the Warriors offense. They'd still be a fantastic team, but in no way at the level they're at.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM
No, the Warriors would definitely not be just as good with CP3 instead of Curry. He can't space the floor like Curry and would never command the double teams on the PnR to the extent that Curry does. He also doesn't move without the ball at anywhere near the volume that Curry is capable of, and that in itself is a major component of the Warriors offense. They'd still be a fantastic team, but in no way at the level they're at.

The thing is, he wouldn't be moving without the ball, nor would he need to be the one spreading the floor.

The Warriors run a certain way because Curry has a certain skill set. CP3's is different. Where the Warriors run plays through Green a lot, they wouldn't so much with CP3.

CP3 is a great pick-and-roll player. Fantastic. With Green, Barnes, Klay, and Iggy spreading the floor, CP3 and work the pick and roll with a guy like Bogut (who though not putting up fantastic numbers is still a very highly skilled player), and guys like Klay would feed off of that.

The Warriors would be a different team with CP3, for sure, and likely not better (I wouldn't argue they'd be better), but I think they could potentially be as good and certainly as much fun to watch, and still very dominant. And guys like Klay would be putting up better numbers, as would Barnes.

Sadly, there is no way to quantify this. But it's be a great team to watch, that is for sure.

tredigs
02-04-2016, 12:02 AM
The thing is, he wouldn't be moving without the ball, nor would he need to be the one spreading the floor.

The Warriors run a certain way because Curry has a certain skill set. CP3's is different. Where the Warriors run plays through Green a lot, they wouldn't so much with CP3.

CP3 is a great pick-and-roll player. Fantastic. With Green, Barnes, Klay, and Iggy spreading the floor, CP3 and work the pick and roll with a guy like Bogut (who though not putting up fantastic numbers is still a very highly skilled player), and guys like Klay would feed off of that.

The Warriors would be a different team with CP3, for sure, and likely not better (I wouldn't argue they'd be better), but I think they could potentially be as good and certainly as much fun to watch, and still very dominant. And guys like Klay would be putting up better numbers, as would Barnes.

Sadly, there is no way to quantify this. But it's be a great team to watch, that is for sure.

PEAK CP3 we're having a different discussion that I'd definitely entertain. Now? No. Absolutely no.