PDA

View Full Version : Too much talent in trade talk

Scoots
01-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Has there ever been a year when this much top-flight talent is being regularly talked about in trades?

Cousins, Griffin, Love, and Teague

I don't remember this ever happening before.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 11:08 AM
As well as Howard and plenty of others. Bucks alone are linked to Teague, Lawson, Martin, C.Butler, f/a Boozer. Bucks trade like 3 times a year. Draft night and the summer and trade deadline. So book the Bucks for another crazy trade deadline for win now push for 8th seed. Also John Hammond liked Holiday in that draft. Also Woelfel suggested Bucks to trade for Holiday on the radio other day. Was just a suggestion not actual rumor but still. Pelicans could be trading any of their guys other then Davis. If Beverley wasn't injured the Bucks probably would of had Lawson already.

Also Bucks holding Henson out for Grizzlies game. Says sore back but could just be a sore back or could be part of a Teague offer. Buck traded every trade deadline other then that year when Hawks back out last second to pair Josh Smith with Ellis and Jennings. So quite a few decades none stop of trading. Even Ersan came out and said we trade to much. To much turnover roster wise yearly. Then we finally unloaded him this summer in salary dump.

Scoots
01-28-2016, 11:31 AM
As well as Howard and plenty of others. Bucks alone are linked to Teague, Lawson, Martin, C.Butler, f/a Boozer. Bucks trade like 3 times a year. Draft night and the summer and trade deadline. So book the Bucks for another crazy trade deadline for win now push for 8th seed. Also John Hammond liked Holiday in that draft. Also Woelfel suggested Bucks to trade for Holiday on the radio other day. Was just a suggestion not actual rumor but still. Pelicans could be trading any of their guys other then Davis. If Beverley wasn't injured the Bucks probably would of had Lawson already.

Also Bucks holding Henson out for Grizzlies game. Says sore back but could just be a sore back or could be part of a Teague offer. Buck traded every trade deadline other then that year when Hawks back out last second to pair Josh Smith with Ellis and Jennings. So quite a few decades none stop of trading. Even Ersan came out and said we trade to much. To much turnover roster wise yearly. Then we finally unloaded him this summer in salary dump.

I never really put together the Bucks trading that often, but you are right, they are always making a move. Don't know that I'd consider Lawson, Martin, Butler, Holiday, Henson, or Boozer top flight talent though :)

HandsOnTheWheel
01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
On this site? Abundant rumors like that come out every year.

KnicksorBust
01-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Rumors are always absurd. I get your point but tbh I'd be surprised if 3 of them get moved. Maybe 1-2. Hardly a historic trade deadline.

I think there is a better chance all 4 stayed on their teams than all 4 getting traded.

Ty Fast
01-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Melo, CP3, D12, and D-Will were all on the trade block in 2010 and 2011.

IndyRealist
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
I feel like this year isn't any bigger than others. If you're not a top 4 team, you're looking at moves to get there. Most don't ever materialize.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Tyreke is on the block as well now.

Shady66
01-28-2016, 02:09 PM
On this site? Abundant rumors like that come out every year.
That's what I was thinking lol

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2016, 02:34 PM
It actually seems pretty slow to me.

I haven't actually heard Griffin's name dropped in trade talk. Sac-Town has continuously denied the DMC rumours; Cavs just ifred their coach because he was not involving Love enough.

Teague is the only one really, and he's not even that big a name. And Morris from the Suns....Bledsoe.

I think talk is slow because most teams don't want to spoil the cap situation in the offseason.

Surprisingly, OKC has not facilitated any KD trade rumours (Cavs had no intention of trading LBJ in 2010, but those rumours were unending).

We've had seasons where Howard, Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Nash and Chris Paul were all on the block at once, along with Boston's Big Three. and Melo. So... seems a little slow to be honest.

Yanks All Day
01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
I also think that players being talked about in trades are vastly different than the internet buzz about who fans think should be traded.

For example, I don't think Kevin Love or Blake Griffin's name has realistically ever come up once from the side of Cleveland or Los Angeles. But fans think because Blatt was fired that Love might be next or Griffin's fight signals the end. For the Cavs, you're not going through the trouble of signing him long-term and then bailing on the plan before the playoffs even begin. If you're the Clippers, there's almost no way you get equal value to Blake. I just think SportCenter talk topics and internet forums are where some speculation lives, but many deals never come close to actual thoughts for teams.

Scoots
01-28-2016, 03:30 PM
I think it's more what the press is talking about, not just fans.

I think it was Woj who said on ESPN radio that he wouldn't be surprised if Cousins and Griffin were on different teams next year. That's 2 of the (probably) top 10 players in the NBA.

Moving Love was talked about by his own (former) coach, so at least at one point that was not a stretch.

And Teague being available is not debated by anybody really.

2 top 10 players and 4 all-stars with more than fan talk is something. But from the examples above, it certainly isn't unique.

shep33
01-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Watch nobody significant get traded. Trade deadline always sucks. Let's be real, Blake, Cousins, Cp3, Irving, etc. aren't getting dealt

HandsOnTheWheel
01-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I think it's more what the press is talking about, not just fans.

I think it was Woj who said on ESPN radio that he wouldn't be surprised if Cousins and Griffin were on different teams next year. That's 2 of the (probably) top 10 players in the NBA.

Moving Love was talked about by his own (former) coach, so at least at one point that was not a stretch.

And Teague being available is not debated by anybody really.

2 top 10 players and 4 all-stars with more than fan talk is something. But from the examples above, it certainly isn't unique.

Link?

R. Johnson#3
01-28-2016, 04:09 PM
I think the big players at the deadline this year will be the Celtics and the Raptors. Both are playoff teams and have an abundance of picks.

shep33
01-28-2016, 04:12 PM
Why would Sacramento trade Cousins? They're starting to finally play decent basketball, and he's killing it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
I think the big players at the deadline this year will be the Celtics and the Raptors. Both are playoff teams and have an abundance of picks.

Yeah it's a given something has to give with the Celtics. They have like 8 picks this coming draft. Can only have 15 player roster max. 11 guys under contract and RFA's and also 2 guys with team options. So I see them either consolidating some picks and trading now or draft night for a big trade. Other wise stuck selling most them second round picks. I know cause my Bucks when they have 2 or 3 second round picks most are traded for future seconds or sold.

muelly
01-28-2016, 04:18 PM

False, at the last minute they traded Tobias Harris to Orlando for JJ.

Trading Henson in a package for Teague would be a mistake. Trading a future 1st for Teague would admit you've made multiple mistakes, and the real cost of a PG is potentially 3 1sts. Call me crazy but Teague is overrated. He doesn't solve the Bucks issues, sure he can shoot it better than MCW but his career 2pt % isn't that special. Offense isn't the issue, defense is. When Henson is paired with the starting group minus Monroe the o & d ratings are off the charts better, of course sample size to this point but worth trying more.

R. Johnson#3
01-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Yeah it's a given something has to give with the Celtics. They have like 8 picks this coming draft. Can only have 15 player roster max. 11 guys under contract and RFA's and also 2 guys with team options. So I see them either consolidating some picks and trading now or draft night for a big trade. Other wise stuck selling most them second round picks. I know cause my Bucks when they have 2 or 3 second round picks most are traded for future seconds or sold.

Yeah the Celtics have so many options. Lee is an expiring, Amir is one of the options and who is the other?

They could send Lee + Amir + a couple picks to get a high quality big man. It would help clear up their loaded front court while putting them at the top of the East. I'd actually be surprised if the Celtics don't make the biggest trade at the deadline.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 04:27 PM
False, at the last minute they traded Tobias Harris to Orlando for JJ. All I remember is we missed like 1 trade deadline in a decade. But now I cant find the site I used. That trade deadline like only 1 player was traded for like a second round pick. Was the dullest trade deadline ever.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Yeah I remembered the Redick trade cause it was horrible. Garbage player and rental. But I think most of us were thinking of the Josh Smith pairing with the chuck brothers besides landing Redick. But once we heard Hawks backed out that whole deadline was grim. We knew Redick was gone then gave up rookie in the deal. Was horrible. But I know we did miss 1 deadline in the last decade. Even though looking at it now best we missed on Josh. Cause old ownership probably would of gave him the super max and stuck with him yet instead of it being the Pistons paying him not to play with stretch provision. So guess all in all worked out fine for us.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Yeah the Celtics have so many options. Lee is an expiring, Amir is one of the options and who is the other?

They could send Lee + Amir + a couple picks to get a high quality big man. It would help clear up their loaded front court while putting them at the top of the East. I'd actually be surprised if the Celtics don't make the biggest trade at the deadline.

Jerebko is a team option for $5M.

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Why would Sacramento trade Cousins? They're starting to finally play decent basketball, and he's killing it.

Trading DMC isn't a crazy idea.

He's eating up around 35-38 possessions a game right now. about 27-30 are shots he takes (the rest turn into assists or turnovers). Now granted, he's GREAT at drawing fouls (doesn't anybody get more FTs than that guy right now?), and he's a respectable FT shooter. He's also added a 3pt shot with a respectable .340 percentage, but his posts game shots inside the arc are still under .500, and when you are a post player in a league where the 3-ball is so prevalent, and guy like Curry is shooting 3's at a clip of .455, your .470 2pt% looks pretty pathetic.
And Curry's 2pt% is like .570.

Clearly if you have a guy like DMC sucking up about 35 possessions a game, and you go headed to head with a team like GSW, where their third option is more efficient, and their first two options blows DMC out of the water, you are sunk before you even start.

I like DMC. Don't get me wrong. He's impressive and has a unique skill set, and he's willing to grow and learn as a player (look at the 3-ball he whipped out this season), but he is a throw back. He should have been playing in the 90's or 80's.

To be an effective big man in today's game, you got be be able to command the double-team while hitting 55-60% in the paint and pass out well, like Shaq did. DMC can pass... sure.... but his TO are a little high, and his % is a little low. It just seems like a bad recipe for a first option.

If Sac-town wants to invest in him to see if he can make that 3-ball a bigger part of hs game, and if they want to see if he can raise his % in the paint... sure... I don't blame them, especially given how great he is a drawing a foul (a grossly underrated skill in the NBA) and rebounding. But if they had a deal on the table that got them a serviceable big man and a sharp shooter (like a Bogut/Klay deal-not that that is realistic), I'd pull the trigger on that in a heart beat.

Kyben36
01-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Cousins, love and griffin are going nowhere, teague is more likely, if they cant deal schroder. They just cant pay both the money to start. Why one will be moved. Who. Is the better question.

The rest is a crap shoot, i dont think that the heat will find a deal for whiteside, the houston rockets are playing well again, so howard wont move. Its a lot of talk, not alot of action imo.

Laker Legend42
01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Cp3 for kyrie Irving has popped up as well.

LanceUpperCut
01-28-2016, 10:10 PM
I like Zack Lowes suggestion of Patterson-T.Ross-CoJo and say Bennett as a filler along with the either the Knicks pick or the 2016 raps pick along with the Clippers 2017 pick for Blake Griffin.

It's a deal that could help both teams, the raps would have a tough stretch losing the three guys plus Griffin being out for 4-6 weeks but they do have Wright and Powell two guys just looking for minutes and come mid march the team could be adding both Carroll and Griffin.

For Clippers it gives them some much needed bench scoring and back up PG play along with 1 or 2 picks and some room to reshuffle a bit cause right now I see no way that Clippers team is competing with the top 3 teams in the west right now.

Kyben36
01-28-2016, 10:12 PM
I like Zack Lowes suggestion of Patterson-T.Ross-CoJo and say Bennett as a filler along with the either the Knicks pick or the 2016 raps pick along with the Clippers 2017 pick for Blake Griffin.

It's a deal that could help both teams, the raps would have a tough stretch losing the three guys plus Griffin being out for 4-6 weeks but they do have Wright and Powell two guys just looking for minutes and come mid march the team could be adding both Carroll and Griffin.

For Clippers it gives them some much needed bench scoring and back up PG play along with 1 or 2 picks and some room to reshuffle a bit cause right now I see no way that Clippers team is competing with the top 3 teams in the west right now.

Giving up an allstar and arguably the best pf in the league, is never a good move.

Scoots
01-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Cp3 for kyrie Irving has popped up as well.

Was that ever more than a fan/internet theory though?

Scoots
01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Whiteside also pretty clearly on the block ... some sucker may bite on the trade and then overpay him.

Whiteside could be perfect for the modern game ... except that he uses too many possesions and DOES NOT PASS. Can you imagine Westbrook/KD/Curry/Thompson/any shooter standing wide open at the 3 line while Whiteside ignores them with the ball in the post? 108 games, 20 total assists, 143 career TOs ... not the ratios one is looking for in the modern game.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-29-2016, 04:09 PM

Clippers laugh and hang up the phone. All Star Blake for that? Yeesh. Bennett holds no value. Raptors got him off of waiver wire. Ross having down year and contract is so so at best putting it nicely. Corey Joseph? Back up pg. Patterson is average bench player. Clippers pick hold no value when there deep playoff team. Bucks gave that pick away for a reason. It's late first.

Better off having a cheaper early second round pick. Knicks are in playoffs so that pick is grim and I think Denver has pick swaps first. Raptors own pick is 26. So yeah the earlier pick of the pick swap which is like #13 you can maybe land Diamond Stone but all in all Clippers say "thanks but no thanks".

More realistic trade for Blake from Raptors be Valanciunas and Lowry and #13 for Blake at very minimum to even have the secretary hold the phone. But then Raptors wouldn't be much other then Blake and DeRozan over paid at $25M per to keep him if the Lakers offer was real from rumors this summer.