PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Whiteside's trade value

Ty Fast
01-27-2016, 03:11 PM
There seems to be a lot of rumors going around about him being traded. From what I understand is that the Heat can only offer him around 11 million a year where as other teams could offer him more. What do you think the Heat can get for him?

jerellh528
01-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Nick young

Ball_Out
01-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Im hearing that the Lakers are in talks to acquire him before the deadline. They have expering contracts that teams would love to eat. Young and Hibbert would be those guys and it would actually be a decent trade for miami. No matter what people think of young, he can score and plays that role well.

numba1CHANGsta
01-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Whiteside for Bogut

WaDe03
01-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Some claim he doesn't have much value because he's expiring but I think teams like the Lakers as mentioned, Knicks, Celtics, etc. with a bunch of cap space his summer would love to take a gamble on him and then try to sign him long term this summer. There's not really anyone on the Lakers I would like to have based on wanting to win right now, Kristaps and Whiteside at the 4 and 5 would be a pain in the *** to face for years to come and they have some pieces we would be interested in, and the Celtics have a team full of really solid role players where for the Heat I think players like Bradley and Crowder would be intriguing.

Stunner
01-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Prob

Clarkson and Hibbert for Whiteside / McRoberts and Birdman

Tony_Starks
01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Andrew Bynum 2.0 right down to the questionable work ethic and over exaggerated view of self....

WaDe03
01-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm sure Riley has a plan for this summer though so I don't think he would trade for guys that would eat up the cap space like a few I mentioned above. The only way I could see him doing that is if it was in a blockbuster trade for Melo but I doubt something like that happens. We basically already have a nick young in green and hibbert is just straight trash so I hope we don't try that out. DLo would be nice though. Scott is a ****** coach and is hurting his progression in my opinion. He took him out last night in the 4th because he felt like he was trying to take over, why not have possibly the future of your franchise learn in the most crucial time of the game?

WaDe03
01-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Andrew Bynum 2.0 right down to the questionable work ethic and over exaggerated view of self....

He's matured a lot honestly. The work ethic is definitely there now although I do question him stat chasing sometimes but it's getting better as the year goes on.

nycericanguy
01-27-2016, 04:18 PM
his trade value isn't much

no bird rights - that alone takes out most teams because you need a ton of cap to resign him

questionable attitude

No real basketball skills, just a physical beast

Miami is better when he's OFF the court

awful FT shooter

and on top of that the contract matching is tricky since he only makes 900k.

Slug3
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
He is making like 900K this year. So even if he was a good trade piece, Miami wouldn't get equal value in return without having to throw in other contracts.

jerellh528
01-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Hibbert wouldn't be involved in any trade for whiteside. Hibbert makes 15 mil. The only trade scenario I've read about involving the lakers is nick young for whiteside and Chris Anderson to make salaries match. That's about the only thing I'd want done from a lakers perspective anyways. If heat want to try to include any of the lakers young players, I would hope mitch would hang up the phone immediately.

Scenario I read about last night was found here:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2742012/nba-trade-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-targeting-hassan-whiteside/

Obviously heat fans wouldn't like this at all, and lakers wouldn't want anything of value to be included for whiteside, so you can pretty much count the lakers out of the trying to trade for whiteside scenarios.

DanG
01-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Lakers will not try to improve this season because of the top 3 protected pick. We have a shot at the #1 right now. Also, there is no way we would give up DLO, Clarkson or Randle for Whiteside if we have a chance to just sign him next summer.

Stunner
01-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Hibbert wouldn't be involved in any trade for whiteside. Hibbert makes 15 mil. The only trade scenario I've read about involving the lakers is nick young for whiteside and Chris Anderson to make salaries match. That's about the only thing I'd want done from a lakers perspective anyways. If heat want to try to include any of the lakers young players, I would hope mitch would hang up the phone immediately.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2742012/nba-trade-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-targeting-hassan-whiteside/

Obviously heat fans wouldn't like this at all, and lakers wouldn't want anything of value to be included for whiteside, so you can pretty much count the lakers out of the trying to trade for whiteside scenarios.

It would be best if Miami hope that Hibbert is involved , he's an expiring contract and Miami could get rid of McRoberts contract .

Nick young for Whiteside and Bird is a horrible trade , they have a similar player already in Green and it also takes more mins from Winslow . Hell he prob wouldn't even see the court cuz Deng is there too .

Nikeman
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM

Lol Nick Young? Hell no.. We already have Gerald Green as our bench scorer. I'd honestly rather lose Whiteside in free agency than get just Young.

I could see Miami try and do two things, either try and maximize return or get as much cap out of it as possible. For next season, we only have 48 mill committed to the cap, assuming we resign Wade to 18-20 mill we at 68. I hope Wade doesn't go for the money and takes less for winning. Birdman is expiring, only bad contract we have is McRoberts, who we could either try and package with Whiteside.

so basically Laker fans want us to give them Whiteside and expiring contract for their trash who's going to be a 5 mill cap hit till 2017. You wanna kill our cap flexibility and give us a garbage player we don't want. Sorry Laker fans, pat Riley is not someone you can bend over backwards like you have in the past to other teams.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
It'd have to be a team with cap space they want to invest in him because there are no Bird rights. And also one that can perform well enough to get him to stay. Not a lot of teams in that position.

And the ones that are.... what would they have to give up?

Perhaps the Suns could offer Tyson Chandler? Or the Wiz could offer Gortat? Or Nene? Or the Lakers could offer Hibbert? But only one of those teams would be in a position to succeed with him and that's the Wiz, who apparently want to save their cap space for KD.

I don't see any viable options.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Whiteside for Jeff Teague?

Only a team overloaded in the front court would trade big for small.

Maybe Whiteside/Dragic for Horford/Teague, but then it's too lopsided in favour of Miami.

jerellh528
01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Lol Nick Young? Hell no.. We already have Gerald Green as our bench scorer. I'd honestly rather lose Whiteside in free agency than get just Young.

I could see Miami try and do two things, either try and maximize return or get as much cap out of it as possible. For next season, we only have 48 mill committed to the cap, assuming we resign Wade to 18-20 mill we at 68. I hope Wade doesn't go for the money and takes less for winning. Birdman is expiring, only bad contract we have is McRoberts, who we could either try and package with Whiteside.

so basically Laker fans want us to give them Whiteside and expiring contract for their trash who's going to be a 5 mill cap hit till 2017. You wanna kill our cap flexibility and give us a garbage player we don't want. Sorry Laker fans, pat Riley is not someone you can bend over backwards like you have in the past to other teams.

Don't shoot the messenger. Most laker fans, myself included, don't even want whiteside at all. I was just posting a link to a scenario created by some writer

HandsOnTheWheel
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Miami says nty to anyone on the Lakers current roster.

WaDe03
01-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Yea I don't think a Lakers trade involving Whiteside will happen thankfully. Only guy I would be interested in is DeAngelo and then were weak at center.

Scoots
01-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Whiteside for DeAndre Jordan ... replace one overrated headcase for another :)

beasted86
01-27-2016, 06:29 PM
There seems to be a lot of rumors going around about him being traded. From what I understand is that the Heat can only offer him around 11 million a year where as other teams could offer him more. What do you think the Heat can get for him?

Shame on whoever keeps pushing these false reports. $11M is wrong.

Miami does not have Whiteside's full Bird Rights, so they will have to use cap space to resign him. But seeing as the only 4 players under contract next year are Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, and Winslow totaling to $48M in salary, and the salary cap will rise to $90M, common sense has to kick in sometime with those "journalists" before reporting.

Ball_Out
01-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Only a team overloaded in the front court would trade big for small.

Maybe Whiteside/Dragic for Horford/Teague, but then it's too lopsided in favour of Miami.

Miami would instantly be the favorites in the east.

Branwegner84
01-27-2016, 06:46 PM
As a Bulls fan, I personally would like a Whiteside and Anderson for Mirotic

Then try to move Gasol

It won't happen though

Gibby23
01-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Shame on whoever keeps pushing these false reports. $11M is wrong.

Miami does not have Whiteside's full Bird Rights, so they will have to use cap space to resign him. But seeing as the only 4 players under contract next year are Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, and Winslow totaling to $48M in salary, and the salary cap will rise to $90M, common sense has to kick in sometime with those "journalists" before reporting.

That is true, but they would have to renounce Wade, then add in the 8 minimum capholds for about a million each and they are about at $56 million in commitments. Add about 20 million for Whiteside and it is at about 75 million because one caphold is taken care of. Wad would have to sign for 14 or 15 million. Could work, but they would be basically an older version of this years team.

Aleksandar
01-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Whiteside's on/off stats with Miami, and that atrocious assist average seem like a huge turnoff.

Someone posted Crowder and Bradley idea, but I definitely don't take that if I'm Celtics. I like both of them, and especially Crowder seems like he's still expanding his game. Then you have overall Celtics successful season, they shouldn't mess with their current team.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-27-2016, 07:43 PM
Looks like Nycerianguy and Slug 3 covered the bases. I was gonna say Whiteside's $981,348 wont get equal value. So Heat would have to toss in Deng to get something worth while. But then your creating another hole. I wouldn't have Bird man or Roberts as fillers since they're negative value now. Not much else from Heat for trade bait. Yeah Winslow but doubt they part with him unless they get a big name in return.

Even though Winslow having up and down year. Also Dragic contract is bad. So not much left to discuss. Personally Heat should of pulled a Celtics and moved on and purged the veteran roster. Traded Wade for a pick or two and should of traded Bosh way before he got his new contract. Now its like stuck in the middle of the pack just spinning their wheels.

They almost have to trade Winslow and Whiteside and get some other big name in there to spark up the team before Wade is done for good. They should see if Winslow, Whiteside, Deng and 2019 first rounder get Cousins or bust. That might get Vlades eyebrows twitching a little. But I'm sure other teams could trump that offer easily.

beasted86
01-27-2016, 08:07 PM
That is true, but they would have to renounce Wade, then add in the 8 minimum capholds for about a million each and they are about at $56 million in commitments. Add about 20 million for Whiteside and it is at about 75 million because one caphold is taken care of. Wad would have to sign for 14 or 15 million. Could work, but they would be basically an older version of this years team.

1st. If Whiteside/his agent want $20M then let him walk to begin with. Sign Javale McGee and spend $20M on a player that's really worth $20M.

2nd. Wade's Bird rights don't matter unless he's giving them a wink-wink 1yr mega discount contract to resign the following year at his true value. Otherwise you renounce him anyway because he's not getting another $20M contract, nor should he be getting a back-loaded contract with raises... it should actually be front-loaded and going downward in future seasons if anything.

Gibby23
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
1st. If Whiteside/his agent want $20M then let him walk to begin with. Sign Javale McGee and spend $20M on a player that's really worth $20M.

2nd. Wade's Bird rights don't matter unless he's giving them a wink-wink 1yr mega discount contract to resign the following year at his true value. Otherwise you renounce him anyway because he's not getting another $20M contract, nor should he be getting a back-loaded contract with raises... it should actually be front-loaded and going downward in future seasons if anything.

All that sounds good and all, but back to reality. Players are going to be getting paid a lot more and that is starting next year with the raise in the cap. 20 million might look like too much right now, but it is about what he gets next year with the jump. This year he is like a 13 or 14 million dollar player, you take into account the jump, he is getting 20.

Also, Wade isn't taking less than 14 or 15 million especially with all this money that will be out there next year.

beasted86
01-28-2016, 07:57 AM
All that sounds good and all, but back to reality. Players are going to be getting paid a lot more and that is starting next year with the raise in the cap. 20 million might look like too much right now, but it is about what he gets next year with the jump. This year he is like a 13 or 14 million dollar player, you take into account the jump, he is getting 20.

Also, Wade isn't taking less than 14 or 15 million especially with all this money that will be out there next year.
Wade is definitely worth a $15M contract with the cap jump given his production and how many fans he puts in the seat every night.

Whiteside on the other hand is not worth $20M.

Even though they would be able to afford to pay both those guys those amounts, $20M to Whiteside is a waste of a contract to me. If I'm Arison no way I can sign off on that.

Everyone is obsessing over the cap jump...cap jump! But the cap is projected to fall in 2018, and it may fall further due to unforseen CBA negotiations.

Like I said, I'd rather sign McGee who is a stat filling role player like Whiteside and then spend $15M on another guy.

Even if Dwyane Wade comes to me as Pat Riley on July 1st and says he's willing to take a 1yr Bird rights discount contract at $8M confident I will do right by him the next summer, it still changes nothing on how I approach Whiteside. All that would do is allow me to offer $25M to a guy really worth it.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2016, 10:18 AM

He's matured a lot honestly. The work ethic is definitely there now although I do question him stat chasing sometimes but it's getting better as the year goes on.

I'm just not sold. He seriously reminds me of Bynum. Killing it in a contract year. Him sortof copping a attitude with Wade is also a major red flag.

I could be terribly wrong but he is the kind of guy who's contract I would be EXTREMELY careful about constructing. It would be filled with incentives and most definitely, most importantly,have a early opt out.

Give him a 4 year guaranteed deal and I promise you it will go real bad real fast.

Gibby23
01-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Wade is definitely worth a $15M contract with the cap jump given his production and how many fans he puts in the seat every night.

Whiteside on the other hand is not worth $20M.

Even though they would be able to afford to pay both those guys those amounts, $20M to Whiteside is a waste of a contract to me. If I'm Arison no way I can sign off on that.

Everyone is obsessing over the cap jump...cap jump! But the cap is projected to fall in 2018, and it may fall further due to unforseen CBA negotiations.

Like I said, I'd rather sign McGee who is a stat filling role player like Whiteside and then spend $15M on another guy.

Even if Dwyane Wade comes to me as Pat Riley on July 1st and says he's willing to take a 1yr Bird rights discount contract at $8M confident I will do right by him the next summer, it still changes nothing on how I approach Whiteside. All that would do is allow me to offer $25M to a guy really worth it.

Cap jump or no cap jump, you have Dragic making like an average of $17 million, you got a guy like Tristan Thompson making about an average of $17 million, Deandre just got $20 plus million. The market is already there for Whiteside to max out what he can get and the cap jump, however much it may be just increases it.

The HEAT are paying Dragic and whatever FA they try and sign that is better than him will be pointing to that contract and if they are better, they would want more than that. I mean Wade probably doesn't even take less than that. With how old Wade is and the landscape of the NBA today makes it unlikely that Miami is winning a title before he retires, I can see him cashing in .

Unless the HEAT can get Durant, which they probably wont, they are going to end up paying big money to FA's that really are not worth it. Not only the HEAT, most NBA teams will be doing this including my Lakers.

Best thing for the HEAT to do would be to lock Whiteside up for that $20 million and trade him early in his deal for a star that wants out of a certain situation. No way should they let him walk if he wants to come back. He will be a valuable asset at the $20 million if he keeps his play at the level it is at.

Gibby23
01-28-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm just not sold. He seriously reminds me of Bynum. Killing it in a contract year. Him sortof copping a attitude with Wade is also a major red flag.

I could be terribly wrong but he is the kind of guy who's contract I would be EXTREMELY careful about constructing. It would be filled with incentives and most definitely, most importantly,have a early opt out.

Give him a 4 year guaranteed deal and I promise you it will go real bad real fast.

Bynum had a injury history, was a gamble from a health standpoint.

SportsFanatic10
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM

When has this happened? Because I've seen Wade literally grab him by the jersey and berate him right on the court for not setting a proper pick and he took it without any attitude back. He always has shown Wade respect and credits him for his teaching and setting him up with so many easy dunks.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Bynum had a injury history, was a gamble from a health standpoint.

Whiteside has already had a rash of injuries this year at a young age and was even publicly called out by Bosh questioning his ability to play hurt.

Again, red flags.

Gibby23
01-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Whiteside has already had a rash of injuries this year at a young age and was even publicly called out by Bosh questioning his ability to play hurt.

Again, red flags.

Not anywhere close to the injury issues Bynum had. That is reaching right there.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Again, red flags.

Not anywhere close to the injury issues Bynum had. That is reaching right there.

I mean NOBODY has the injury Bynum history had! lol

I'm just saying there are way too many similarities between these type of guys for my taste if I'm looking to spend Big money.

I think Whiteside's best play would come from staying in MIA under Riley/Wades direction. That's where you'll get the max of his potential.

But signing him as a bigtime FA or giving up some legit players for him? No way Jose.

beasted86
01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Cap jump or no cap jump, you have Dragic making like an average of $17 million, you got a guy like Tristan Thompson making about an average of $17 million, Deandre just got $20 plus million. The market is already there for Whiteside to max out what he can get and the cap jump, however much it may be just increases it.

The HEAT are paying Dragic and whatever FA they try and sign that is better than him will be pointing to that contract and if they are better, they would want more than that. I mean Wade probably doesn't even take less than that. With how old Wade is and the landscape of the NBA today makes it unlikely that Miami is winning a title before he retires, I can see him cashing in .

Unless the HEAT can get Durant, which they probably wont, they are going to end up paying big money to FA's that really are not worth it. Not only the HEAT, most NBA teams will be doing this including my Lakers.

Best thing for the HEAT to do would be to lock Whiteside up for that $20 million and trade him early in his deal for a star that wants out of a certain situation. No way should they let him walk if he wants to come back. He will be a valuable asset at the $20 million if he keeps his play at the level it is at.
At the end of the day, Miami got Whiteside for nothing and shouldn't be afraid to lose him for nothing rather than grossly overpaying him.

Dragić is better than Whiteside in case you don't know this already. I would gladly keep Dragić at $17M than pay Whiteside $22M (his max). Whiteside is worth about $15-$16M. Anything more and I'm passing assuming any decent free agent is willing to sign in his stead.

But as a long term fit regardless of what Whiteside is willing to take, Dragić, Bosh, and Whiteside make a terrible trio. What you're really after is a tradeable contract long term from Whiteside, but at $20M+, I don't think he's as tradeable as you think.

CardinalRed24
01-28-2016, 06:05 PM
As a Laker fan I will certainly pass.
As much as they hate to admit it, the only wise thing the Lakers can do is aim for that top 3 pick. Now although a trade being made at the deadline does not necessarily put their draft positioning in danger,I don't believe acquiring Whiteside is the right move to make with durability concerns. The Lakers are well familiar with big skilled fragile big men still in their youth. I think they should just continue to tank the rest of this season, keep developing Russell/Clarkson/Nance/ Randle and with Bryant retiring and other contracts ending the Lakers will have the entire offseason to fill and upgrade the roster with plenty of options.

Gibby23
01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
At the end of the day, Miami got Whiteside for nothing and shouldn't be afraid to lose him for nothing rather than grossly overpaying him.

Dragić is better than Whiteside in case you don't know this already. I would gladly keep Dragić at $17M than pay Whiteside $22M (his max). Whiteside is worth about $15-$16M. Anything more and I'm passing assuming any decent free agent is willing to sign in his stead.

But as a long term fit regardless of what Whiteside is willing to take, Dragić, Bosh, and Whiteside make a terrible trio. What you're really after is a tradeable contract long term from Whiteside, but at $20M+, I don't think he's as tradeable as you think.

That is just false.