PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the raptors

FriedTofuz
01-27-2016, 02:59 AM
There's too many Lebron James Threads, Kristaps Porzingis, how about some love for the NBA's hottest team atm? Currently on a 9 game winning streak with the 5th best record in the NBA.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 10:42 AM
As a Raptors fan, I wish I could be excited.

My concern is that well the team is well coached, and they are winning the games that they should win, they simply don't have the pieces to compete with contenders.

DMDR is great at drawing fouls, and he's all-around skill set is as impressive as just about any SG in the game, but his D is not that impressive, and he is simply not a good shooter. Period. When your leading scoring is as inefficient as he is (ability to draw fouls aside), you are going to struggle to win any 7-game series.

Carroll, Scola, and Ross will be huge in the playoffs because they are all shooting the 3-ball well, but if they had a post threat that drew double teams, or a PG that drew defenders into the paint with him on the drive, the team would be in a lot better position.

Lowry is doing that to an extent, but at the end of the day, you look at a team like Washington, and Wall would likely outplay Lowry in a 7-games series, and a healthy Beal would be more efficient than DMDR. And what's more, they got a solid post player in Gortat and a strong defender like Nene. Even though Washington is in 11th right now, I feel like if both healthy rosters went into a 7-game series, Washington would have the edge (as demonstrated by last year's playoffs).

I think ATL, Chi-town and Miami would all tear Toronto apart in the playoffs as well, regardless of what their records are. And Indy and Detroit would have a shot as well as both are teams that are very well coached.

I just can't get it in me to be excited about this team, as much as I want to be. I felt this way last year, and my feelings were validated as they got SWEPT by a team they had homecourt advantage over.

I think if they pick up Lee, they will have a much better chance if they use him to his full potential, and if he can still play as well as he did under Jackson.

Otherwise, my best case scenario is a second-round knock out, and very likely a first-round loss again depending on who they draw in the first round.

They remind me of George Karl's Denver Nuggets. Hard workers, well coached. Just not as good as their record suggests.

WaDe03
01-27-2016, 12:13 PM
They're a good team but it's honestly been the same thing the last 3 years. They're a regular season team who doesn't do well in the playoffs.

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
As a Raptors fan, I wish I could be excited.

My concern is that well the team is well coached, and they are winning the games that they should win, they simply don't have the pieces to compete with contenders.

DMDR is great at drawing fouls, and he's all-around skill set is as impressive as just about any SG in the game, but his D is not that impressive, and he is simply not a good shooter. Period. When your leading scoring is as inefficient as he is (ability to draw fouls aside), you are going to struggle to win any 7-game series.

Carroll, Scola, and Ross will be huge in the playoffs because they are all shooting the 3-ball well, but if they had a post threat that drew double teams, or a PG that drew defenders into the paint with him on the drive, the team would be in a lot better position.

Lowry is doing that to an extent, but at the end of the day, you look at a team like Washington, and Wall would likely outplay Lowry in a 7-games series, and a healthy Beal would be more efficient than DMDR. And what's more, they got a solid post player in Gortat and a strong defender like Nene. Even though Washington is in 11th right now, I feel like if both healthy rosters went into a 7-game series, Washington would have the edge (as demonstrated by last year's playoffs).

I think ATL, Chi-town and Miami would all tear Toronto apart in the playoffs as well, regardless of what their records are. And Indy and Detroit would have a shot as well as both are teams that are very well coached.

I just can't get it in me to be excited about this team, as much as I want to be. I felt this way last year, and my feelings were validated as they got SWEPT by a team they had homecourt advantage over.

I think if they pick up Lee, they will have a much better chance if they use him to his full potential, and if he can still play as well as he did under Jackson.

Otherwise, my best case scenario is a second-round knock out, and very likely a first-round loss again depending on who they draw in the first round.

They remind me of George Karl's Denver Nuggets. Hard workers, well coached. Just not as good as their record suggests.

As a so called Raptors fan you seem to have no clue about them. They've been beating good teams all year and DD has been very efficient.

Raps aren't the same team as last year. If they play like a lottery team for the second half like they did last season then sure be worried about playoffs but this team is much better then last season.

dalton749
01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
They're a good team but it's honestly been the same thing the last 3 years. They're a regular season team who doesn't do well in the playoffs.

The first year they played a veteran Brooklyn team that was the best team in the east the second half of the year and it came down to the wire. Despite having hc, they weren't the favourite.
Last year Lowry had to business playing because of injury but tried anyway, and they were starting hansborough because Amir was hobbled as well, I don't put much stock in that series.

With that said, they still need more from valanciunas to add that next dimension to their offence if they want to compete with the actual contenders. He needs to start letting the midrange jumper fly to open up the rest of his game.

ManningToTyree
01-27-2016, 12:40 PM
They might legitimately be the second best team in the east this year. They have virtually no chance at a championship but I'll give them a chance to upset Cleveland

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
They might legitimately be the second best team in the east this year. They have virtually no chance at a championship but I'll give them a chance to upset Cleveland

If say no team other then maybe SA has a chance at championship this season and SA just got throttled by GS.

Tony_Starks
01-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Raptors actually have a decent lil team but they're not really to be taken seriously until they get a post player that can draw a double team.

They are good enough to give someone a good scare in the second round.

Vampirate
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM

There are only like 3 teams that are championship worthy this year, 2 of them are having historical seasons and i'm not even sure if Cleveland is good enough this year, Lebron and all. That's how good those 2 teams are, heck the Thunder might not be good enough either.

beasted86
01-27-2016, 01:28 PM
The first year they played a veteran Brooklyn team that was the best team in the east the second half of the year and it came down to the wire. Despite having hc, they weren't the favourite.
Last year Lowry had to business playing because of injury but tried anyway, and they were starting hansborough because Amir was hobbled as well, I don't put much stock in that series.

With that said, they still need more from valanciunas to add that next dimension to their offence if they want to compete with the actual contenders. He needs to start letting the midrange jumper fly to open up the rest of his game.

Chock-full of excuses, bruh.

akesh99
01-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Chock-full of excuses, bruh.

Even if those are excuses theres no denying that the team has gone through an overhaul this yr from the assistant coaches to adding guys like Carroll, Biyombo and Joseph. Those three have been huge in changing the defensive culture of the team.

Even as a fan I was very skeptical coming into this year after getting pounded by the Wiz. What the Raps have been able to accomplish so far this year, however, has been impressive especially considering vital pieces like Valanciunas and Carroll have missed significant time. I dont believe we should be considered contenders yet, however come playoff time we could play spoiler for a team looking to make a deep run.

Looking forward, this deadline/offseason should be a fun one as we're equipped with some nice tradeable players/pick that could really shape this roster into a contender in the East. All in all it's a good time to be a Raps fan as I believe we are one of a few Eastern teams trending upward

beasted86
01-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Even if those are excuses theres no denying that the team has gone through an overhaul this yr from the assistant coaches to adding guys like Carroll, Biyombo and Joseph. Those three have been huge in changing the defensive culture of the team.

Even as a fan I was very skeptical coming into this year after getting pounded by the Wiz. What the Raps have been able to accomplish so far this year, however, has been impressive especially considering vital pieces like Valanciunas and Carroll have missed significant time. I dont believe we should be considered contenders yet, however come playoff time we could play spoiler for a team looking to make a deep run.

Looking forward, this deadline/offseason should be a fun one as we're equipped with some nice tradeable players/pick that could really shape this roster into a contender in the East. All in all it's a good time to be a Raps fan as I believe we are one of a few Eastern teams trending upward

Don't have any problem with any of what you just said.

But to make excuses for the past two postseasons is just that.

Stunner
01-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Raps gotta get past Chicago cuz Butler owns Derozan

NYKnickFanatic
01-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Really good regular season team. Really mediocre playoff team.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 03:02 PM
As a so called Raptors fan you seem to have no clue about them. They've been beating good teams all year and DD has been very efficient.

Raps aren't the same team as last year. If they play like a lottery team for the second half like they did last season then sure be worried about playoffs but this team is much better then last season.

Well... you can say that... people said that last year when I said the same thing. And then... oh yeah, they got swept out of the first round despite having home-court advantage.

Carroll is a great addition, but suggesting that a team (the Wizards) who have essentially the same roster as last year save Pierce, might be able to beat the team they swept out of the playoffs last year, who themselves are essentially the same say the addition of Carroll, is not a far-fetched notion.

And yes, they have beaten good teams... and they've lost to bad teams. Why don't you mention that? They've lost to the Magic, Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks, all teams they may face in the first (or second) round. They lost to the Jazz and the Kings, both lottery teams. They got decimated by the Cavs, and lost both games to the Warriors (though they managed to stay in the game both times).

Look, just because I don't talk like a homer doesn't mean I don't know what's going on with the team.

they are well coached, generally stay in the game regardless of the match up, but at the end of the game, when they need a go-to scorer, they don't have one. Lowry, maybe, but he's not as strong an option as a lot of other teams have.

I love Lowry. I think he's underrated. But DMDR is not the first option on a contender in this league today. If you put him on the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, or Thunder, he likely wouldn't even be a third option, let alone the first, and it's not like this Raptors team has the kind of chemistry or defense that allowed the Pistons to overcome not having that dominant first option in 2004.

Be honest with yourself about what this team has, and what this team has done, and you will see that they simply are not built for playoff success.

Feel free to save this post and rub it in my face if I am wrong come June. I'll happily concede you were right. But I just know that barring injury to other contenders, or a major trade, that simply will not be happening.

Pfeifer
01-27-2016, 03:30 PM
I'll agree and disagree. Past two years were full of poor defense and terrible possessions on offense. Been a lot different this year so far. DD has played much smarter and has been more efficient. Carroll has barely played so he has has next to no effect. JV has played fairly well and they are running more and more plays through him. Still needs work on the defensive end. Ross has really played better. Scola has been a good fit. Joseph has been great. Just a better team all around this season even if the records are similar. Not contenders but better prepared come playoff time. They need some insurance coming off the bench though.

BKLYNpigeon
01-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Raptors are a Trade away from winning the East.

lol, please
01-27-2016, 04:08 PM
I said it before the season and earlier in the season, to me, the two best teams in the East by the end of the season will be the Raptors and Bulls.

Stunner
01-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Pau Gasol

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Well... you can say that... people said that last year when I said the same thing. And then... oh yeah, they got swept out of the first round despite having home-court advantage.

Carroll is a great addition, but suggesting that a team (the Wizards) who have essentially the same roster as last year save Pierce, might be able to beat the team they swept out of the playoffs last year, who themselves are essentially the same say the addition of Carroll, is not a far-fetched notion.

And yes, they have beaten good teams... and they've lost to bad teams. Why don't you mention that? They've lost to the Magic, Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks, all teams they may face in the first (or second) round. They lost to the Jazz and the Kings, both lottery teams. They got decimated by the Cavs, and lost both games to the Warriors (though they managed to stay in the game both times).

Look, just because I don't talk like a homer doesn't mean I don't know what's going on with the team.

they are well coached, generally stay in the game regardless of the match up, but at the end of the game, when they need a go-to scorer, they don't have one. Lowry, maybe, but he's not as strong an option as a lot of other teams have.

I love Lowry. I think he's underrated. But DMDR is not the first option on a contender in this league today. If you put him on the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, or Thunder, he likely wouldn't even be a third option, let alone the first, and it's not like this Raptors team has the kind of chemistry or defense that allowed the Pistons to overcome not having that dominant first option in 2004.

Be honest with yourself about what this team has, and what this team has done, and you will see that they simply are not built for playoff success.

Feel free to save this post and rub it in my face if I am wrong come June. I'll happily concede you were right. But I just know that barring injury to other contenders, or a major trade, that simply will not be happening.

Last year they were **** the whole 2nd half and no one hard confidence in that team.

Your the one who said they beat the teams they should and don't beat the good teams even though they have beat the Spurs, Thunder, Cavs, Dallas, ATL, Indy, Clippersx2, Heatx2, all this season so far. Why in the hell would I make a list of teams that beat them? Obviously every team has a list of losses.

I never said they are championship material but to say all these teams in the east like ATL and the Heat would just crush them is ridiculous. Yes this team sucked last year in the playoffs but this isn't the same team and one ****** playoff performance isn't the end of the world to me.

Vampirate
01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
The Raptors look better than the previous 2 years, let's see how they do in the playoffs.

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2016, 04:41 PM

Pau Gasol

Sounds good to me

ghettosean
01-27-2016, 04:42 PM

You realize Lowry went into the playoffs hurt last year right?

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Last year they were **** the whole 2nd half and no one hard confidence in that team.

Your the one who said they beat the teams they should and don't beat the good teams even though they have beat the Spurs, Thunder, Cavs, Dallas, ATL, Indy, Clippersx2, Heatx2, all this season so far. Why in the hell would I make a list of teams that beat them? Obviously every team has a list of losses.

I never said they are championship material but to say all these teams in the east like ATL and the Heat would just crush them is ridiculous. Yes this team sucked last year in the playoffs but this isn't the same team and one ****** playoff performance isn't the end of the world to me.

Hey, dude.... I hope I'm wrong. I'm just not.

Trust me. When the playoff roll around, this team will be doing much of the same. If they draw a team like Miami, with guys that have bit time experience, they don't have a prayer. If they draw a team like ATL, that is loaded with vets and is a year removed from 60+ wins.... they simply won't have the fire power needed to win a 7-game series.

And yes... every team has losses... but they've lost to poor teams several times. They've beaten a couple of good teams (in a couple instances where players were out), and competed with the Warriors twice and hung in there.

That's the thing. They are well coached. The stay in games. Kudos. In the regular season, that leads to a good record.

In the playoffs, you need something more.

At the end of the day, their primer scorer is a shooting guard that can' shoot.

If you want to outline something to me that is different from last year and this year, I'm all ears.

But even if they match up with the Wiz, who SWEPT them last year, Beal is a better player when healthy than DMDR, and Wall is a better PG than Lowry. Gortat and Nene would win the front court. TO has some bombers to spread the floor, but they did last year too.

What makes them any better than they were last year?

Like I said... feel free to achieve this and rub it in my face if the make it to the conference finals or something, but the best case scenario right now (barring injury or trade) is that they put up a good fight in the second round.

If they get a guy like Gasol in a trade... all bets are off. Lee might be huge help too. This roster, as is, is not doing much in the playoffs.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'm not sure, with a roster that is pretty much the same as last year, and the east being much better, why you would expect a different result.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 06:42 PM

I realize they got blown out by 21 points at home in the playoffs, and then dropped a do-or-die game 31 points and didn't even win a game against a team they beat in the regular season.

People makes excuses. Lowry wasn't a 100%. That doesn't excuse the team getting swept. The TEAM played like chumps.

Look...I had this same conversation LAST year with people when they had pretty much the same roster.

You can tell me I'm wrong when they win in the playoffs.

ManningToTyree
01-27-2016, 07:10 PM

There are only like 3 teams that are championship worthy this year, 2 of them are having historical seasons and i'm not even sure if Cleveland is good enough this year, Lebron and all. That's how good those 2 teams are, heck the Thunder might not be good enough either. that's kinda my point. The raptors are really good and better then they have been the last few years but in the end it's not gunna matter.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Seems like Raptors are gonna be in a tough bind come summer time. Lakers spewed out that rumor of $25M per to DeRozan. Ross/Carroll not living up to their new contracts. All in all Raptors need some big trade to get them deeper in playoffs.

bucketss
01-27-2016, 07:45 PM
not to be cocky but this team especially when healthy will destroy anyone in the east outside bulls/cavs. cavs have the lebron factor, and for some reason the bulls have our number. jimmy absolutely abuses demar on both ends of the court.

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Seems like Raptors are gonna be in a tough bind come summer time. Lakers spewed out that rumor of $25M per to DeRozan. Ross/Carroll not living up to their new contracts. All in all Raptors need some big trade to get them deeper in playoffs.

Carroll had been injured all season and when he had played he's been just fine. Ross is also been really good lately and has brought the 3pt% all the way up to 39%. But I do agree a solid starting PF is what's needed for a deep playoff run.

bucketss
01-27-2016, 08:37 PM
I realize they got blown out by 21 points at home in the playoffs, and then dropped a do-or-die game 31 points and didn't even win a game against a team they beat in the regular season.

People makes excuses. Lowry wasn't a 100%. That doesn't excuse the team getting swept. The TEAM played like chumps.

Look...I had this same conversation LAST year with people when they had pretty much the same roster.

im confused... sometimes you say your a pistons, than other times you're a raptors fan?

GiantsSwaGG
01-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Raptors will finally make it out the first round this season. They're playing very well

ghettosean
01-27-2016, 09:32 PM

Will do

FriedTofuz
01-27-2016, 10:07 PM
IF the bulls are looking to pack it in, Id love a trade for pau gasol.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2016, 11:19 PM
im confused... sometimes you say your a pistons, than other times you're a raptors fan?

I'm from Windsor (border city across the river from Detroit). I'm torn between the team I grew up with (The Pistons), and my country's team (the Raptors). But first and foremost, I just love watching good basketball, so I've ended up watching a lot of Spurs over the last twenty years. I prefer team ball. So I love watching the Spurs, I loved watching the Bad Boys and the Bad Boys 2.0, I love the KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo Celtics, and I love watching the Warriors right now. Those teams all had great ball movement, great team defense, and played unselfish ball.

canzano55
01-27-2016, 11:43 PM
To my fellow Raptors fans:

I love you guys but let's agree to not make threads about the Raptors in the NBA main thread. They're a good team but haven't accomplished jack or at least not enough to be talked about in the NBA thread.

JJ_JKidd
01-28-2016, 02:21 AM
There's too many Lebron James Threads, Kristaps Porzingis, how about some love for the NBA's hottest team atm? Currently on a 9 game winning streak with the 5th best record in the NBA.

Yes high time to talk about them because they be gone again by the 1st round of the playoffs. Seriously, never heard of a "contender" getting swept in the first round. Full of hype tbh.

LanceUpperCut
01-28-2016, 07:22 AM
To my fellow Raptors fans:

I love you guys but let's agree to not make threads about the Raptors in the NBA main thread. They're a good team but haven't accomplished jack or at least not enough to be talked about in the NBA thread.

Never realized the criteria was so high to be talked about in the NBA thread?

pebloemer
01-28-2016, 02:57 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, I think many fans in Toronto aren't even fully bought into this team. To the regular viewers and fans of the team, there are many differences to point to that can provide optimism. The team we are seeing now looks better equipped to sustain success through to the regular season and into the post-season but I'm not sure it is a talking point outside of Toronto until they actually start doing it.

The team has an identical record to the one they had last year at this time. I'm not sure what type of conversation the OP would expect to have in the NBA forum on the team at this point in time.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2016, 03:31 PM
not to be cocky but this team especially when healthy will destroy anyone in the east outside bulls/cavs. cavs have the lebron factor, and for some reason the bulls have our number. jimmy absolutely abuses demar on both ends of the court.

How is that cocky? Not being good enough to beat the Bulls or Cavs means you're probably a second round exit with the exception you somehow luck up and don't have to see one of them until the ECF.

That's not exactly something to be proud of, especially in the east.

LanceUpperCut
01-28-2016, 03:46 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, I think many fans in Toronto aren't even fully bought into this team. To the regular viewers and fans of the team, there are many differences to point to that can provide optimism. The team we are seeing now looks better equipped to sustain success through to the regular season and into the post-season but I'm not sure it is a talking point outside of Toronto until they actually start doing it.

The team has an identical record to the one they had last year at this time. I'm not sure what type of conversation the OP would expect to have in the NBA forum on the team at this point in time.

Well I agree somewhat cause I'd never make a thread in the NBA forum about them but they have won 9 straight and are out playing everyone's expectations.
I get the playoff series last year sucked big sweaty balls but it was just 4 games from a team with a lot of turnover that was limping in playing horrible for months before.

R. Johnson#3
01-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Though we still take a lot of 3's the one's we're taking this year are pretty much all open looks. Last year we had Lou chucking with defenders right up on him and Greivis thinking he could shoot them off the dribble. Terrence Ross finally realizing that the only way he can score is with the 3 ball is big too. He's still driving to the net but almost always dumping it off instead of trying to finish in traffic. Which he just simply cannot do.

pebloemer
01-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Well I agree somewhat cause if never make a thread in the NBA forum about them but they have won 9 straight and are out playing everyone's expectations.
I get the playoff series last year sucked big sweaty balls but it was just 4 games from a team with a lot of turnover that was limping in playing horrible for months before.

Last year's Raptors team was virtually unwatchable through March and April. I got frustrated hearing people talk about matchups because with the way we were playing, it wasn't going to matter.

I certainly think this team is different, but it is a hard sell to people who don't watch them every game.

The streak is always an interesting sell, but it came against a lot of mediocre teams or good teams missing key players. It also started off the heels of back to back losses against Cleveland and Chicago.

All that said, I'd go out on a limb and say I think this franchise wins its first best of 7 playoff series in its history this year.

bucketss
01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
How is that cocky? Not being good enough to beat the Bulls or Cavs means you're probably a second round exit with the exception you somehow luck up and don't have to see one of them until the ECF.

That's not exactly something to be proud of, especially in the east.

i didn't say we wouldn't be able to beat them i said we wouldn't destroy them ;)

shep33
01-28-2016, 05:18 PM
I'd still take Chicago and their mess of a team over the Raps in a playoff series.

I just wish the Raps would make a trade for a legit big or PF.

Rapsfanforlife
02-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Raps are a solid team this year, would be 5th in the West and are winning the games they are supposed to win, and winning the majority of the others. you don't get to be 32-16 by just being an ok team whether you are in the west or the east. That said, they desperately need to add PF or a Big, and a some firepower from the bench in order to make it deep into the playoffs.

Vee-Rex
02-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Raps are a solid team this year, would be 5th in the West and are winning the games they are supposed to win, and winning the majority of the others. you don't get to be 32-16 by just being an ok team whether you are in the west or the east. That said, they desperately need to add PF or a Big, and a some firepower from the bench in order to make it deep into the playoffs.

I wanna preface this by saying: Raps are a good regular season team. They're above average.

However, take a look at who snapped their 11-game winning streak last night. The Nuggets. Seriously? Okay, was it a close win? Nope! Raptors got destroyed.

These are the kind of red flags when a team is a pretender or have some serious flaws.

Vs. the Nuggets, they shot 39 free throws. 39 to 15! The Raptors committed 12 turnovers compared to Denver's 19. And they still got destroyed, by a scrub team!

I realize that was just one game, but I feel it reveals so much more than their 11-game winning streak did.

Toronto does not play team ball. They're tied (with the Lakers) for WORST in the league in assists per game. When the playoffs come and teams start locking down defensively, Toronto is going to come up short. Again.

If they don't change it, I'm just not sure how they make it out the 2nd round. Maybe they'll be another first round exit, especially since the East is a bit stronger this year.

Not trying to bash the Raps here (I love their intensity and how hard they play, they're actually a team I respect greatly because they make it so tough on my Cavs every time), it's just something that I've noticed and I wouldn't be shocked if they have a similar playoff-experience this year.

D-Leethal
02-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Certain teams lose so much in the playoffs that nobody will give them props til they win there.

canzano55
02-03-2016, 02:46 AM
I wanna preface this by saying: Raps are a good regular season team. They're above average.

However, take a look at who snapped their 11-game winning streak last night. The Nuggets. Seriously? Okay, was it a close win? Nope! Raptors got destroyed.

These are the kind of red flags when a team is a pretender or have some serious flaws.

Vs. the Nuggets, they shot 39 free throws. 39 to 15! The Raptors committed 12 turnovers compared to Denver's 19. And they still got destroyed, by a scrub team!

I realize that was just one game, but I feel it reveals so much more than their 11-game winning streak did.

Toronto does not play team ball. They're tied (with the Lakers) for WORST in the league in assists per game. When the playoffs come and teams start locking down defensively, Toronto is going to come up short. Again.

If they don't change it, I'm just not sure how they make it out the 2nd round. Maybe they'll be another first round exit, especially since the East is a bit stronger this year.

Not trying to bash the Raps here (I love their intensity and how hard they play, they're actually a team I respect greatly because they make it so tough on my Cavs every time), it's just something that I've noticed and I wouldn't be shocked if they have a similar playoff-experience this year.They're going to need the refs in the playoffs to win.

I've said this before the season even started and I'm saying it now - the Raps are a plucky team that can literally compete against anyone in the league but to do anything in the playoffs they need a tight whistle(.)

If Atlanta were to deal us Al Horford then that might move the needle for us in a big way but I don't know how that trade would work for the Hawks.

Necrosis
02-03-2016, 07:38 AM

Toronto does not play team ball. They're tied (with the Lakers) for WORST in the league in assists per game. When the playoffs come and teams start locking down defensively, Toronto is

going to come up short. Again.

Not trying to bash the Raps here (I love their intensity and how hard they play, they're actually a team I respect greatly because they make it so tough on my Cavs every time), it's just something that I've noticed and I wouldn't be shocked if they have a similar playoff-experience this year.

Non-sense, golden states streak was snapped by the bucks, they then went on to win a few more, losing to the mavs and then another 7 game win streak eventually snapped by GASP... denver.

Playing in denver on the first night of a west coast road trip is tough, you should have stopped at one game doesn't mean anything because you are right, it doesn't.

The east is weaker at the top, but the talent is more spread out. A few years ago the bulls,pacers and heat all real contenders, now it's just he cavs and I am not even sure they are contenders with GS and the spurs in play.

I agree with some of your points, but pointing out free throws is a bit of a misnomer, derozan gets the the line almost as much as harden, in a different way. Harden usually gets contact before going up, demar is driving into contact and finishing, different styles, one will work in the playoffs, one doesn't. lowry also gets to the line quite a bit, also in the top 20, in a similar fashion, his body just can't do it consistently as he wears down.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 09:02 AM
I think the reason so few (including myself) aren't talking much about the Raptors is because they are second in the east, they are behind a team that would fighting for the 4th spot in the West.

I think most people would agree that the Raptors are certainly not better than a healthy Clippers roster, and the Clippers are struggling to maintain their 4th place seeding in the West. So if people are talking about the Clippers much, why would they talk about a team like the Raptors?

In the context of the East they look good, but the bar is a little lower. Even if more teams are over .500 in the East, the West has two teams over 40 wins already: the East has none, while the West has 4 teams over 30 wins and the East only has two.

It's not a slight to the Raptors not to be excited about them. It's just practical in the context of the entire league.

canzano55
02-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I think the reason so few (including myself) aren't talking much about the Raptors is because they are second in the east, they are behind a team that would fighting for the 4th spot in the West.

I think most people would agree that the Raptors are certainly not better than a healthy Clippers roster, and the Clippers are struggling to maintain their 4th place seeding in the West. So if people are talking about the Clippers much, why would they talk about a team like the Raptors?

In the context of the East they look good, but the bar is a little lower. Even if more teams are over .500 in the East, the West has two teams over 40 wins already: the East has none, while the West has 4 teams over 30 wins and the East only has two.

It's not a slight to the Raptors not to be excited about them. It's just practical in the context of the entire league.I agree with you except you're wrong in saying the Clippers are better - they're likely the most overrated team in the NBA.

JasonJohnHorn
02-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I agree with you except you're wrong in saying the Clippers are better - they're likely the most overrated team in the NBA.

It's hard to call them overrated when so many people say they suck.

And it's hard to argue that they aren't better when their record is essentially the same and they've been playing in a more competitive conference, and without their All-NBA power forward.

So yes, a 'healthy' Clippers team is certainly better than the Raptors. I will concede that this is subjective to a degree, but I'd say there are enough quantifiable elements to make a strong case for the Clippers. They have a more impactful center, a far superior power forward and point guard, and aren't giving up too much at the other positions or on the bench. Reddick may not be as good an all-around player as DMDR, but he certainly is, quantifiably, a better shooter, and since their title is 'shooting guard', I'd say as a unit, the Clippers clearly have the better pieces.

But we'll see how the season plays out.

But that said, people are talking like OKC has to make trades to compete, and they have a better record than anybody in the east, so I don't see why anybody would suggest that Toronto is doing well when teams like the Thunder and Clippers are getting so much criticism about their chances of winning.

aman_13
02-03-2016, 12:36 PM
It's hard to call them overrated when so many people say they suck.

And it's hard to argue that they aren't better when their record is essentially the same and they've been playing in a more competitive conference, and without their All-NBA power forward.

So yes, a 'healthy' Clippers team is certainly better than the Raptors. I will concede that this is subjective to a degree, but I'd say there are enough quantifiable elements to make a strong case for the Clippers. They have a more impactful center, a far superior power forward and point guard, and aren't giving up too much at the other positions or on the bench. Reddick may not be as good an all-around player as DMDR, but he certainly is, quantifiably, a better shooter, and since their title is 'shooting guard', I'd say as a unit, the Clippers clearly have the better pieces.

But we'll see how the season plays out.

But that said, people are talking like OKC has to make trades to compete, and they have a better record than anybody in the east, so I don't see why anybody would suggest that Toronto is doing well when teams like the Thunder and Clippers are getting so much criticism about their chances of winning.

This was an appreciation thread for a team that went on its on longest winning streak in franchise history. Raptor fans are well aware that as currently constructed, they are not good enough to beat Cleveland.

PhillyFaninLA
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I think the Raptors where great in Jurassic Park

in all seriousness, they are well put together team that is almost there...question is will they make the moves they need to put themselves into the upper level or fall back into mediocrity.

tp13baby
02-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Lowry didn't play good against Denver. One game is kind of ridiculous to judge them on. We beat Toronto twice this year, and if you ask me they have to upgrade their front line. Nikola Jokic absolutely dominated Jonas and the rest. Jokic would be a top 3 ROY candidate if he played 30 minutes.

Toronto needs a big guy.

ballallday
02-03-2016, 02:21 PM
My % chance of winning against in the playoffs:
Cleav: 10%
Hawks: 50%
Boston: 50%
Bulls: 30%
Mia: 30%
Det:80%
indi: 80%

what do you guys got? based on mine unless we play det indi we likely be one series and done again.

Chronz
02-03-2016, 04:18 PM
They have what it takes to make the ECF and have had a better showing thus far than many Western teams that were dubbed contenders last year. Who do they match up with worst is what I want to know, Im losing faith in Chicago.

aman_13
02-03-2016, 05:07 PM
They have what it takes to make the ECF and have had a better showing thus far than many Western teams that were dubbed contenders last year. Who do they match up with worst is what I want to know, Im losing faith in Chicago.

They don't match up well with the Bulls lol. Largely because of Gasol.

Vee-Rex
02-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Non-sense, golden states streak was snapped by the bucks, they then went on to win a few more, losing to the mavs and then another 7 game win streak eventually snapped by GASP... denver.

Playing in denver on the first night of a west coast road trip is tough, you should have stopped at one game doesn't mean anything because you are right, it doesn't.

The east is weaker at the top, but the talent is more spread out. A few years ago the bulls,pacers and heat all real contenders, now it's just he cavs and I am not even sure they are contenders with GS and the spurs in play.

I agree with some of your points, but pointing out free throws is a bit of a misnomer, derozan gets the the line almost as much as harden, in a different way. Harden usually gets contact before going up, demar is driving into contact and finishing, different styles, one will work in the playoffs, one doesn't. lowry also gets to the line quite a bit, also in the top 20, in a similar fashion, his body just can't do it consistently as he wears down.

I understand what you're saying, but GS lost to Denver by only 2 points without Draymond Green.

I realize it's the NBA and they're all professionals. On any day a worse team can beat a better team. But Toronto didn't just lose... they got smoked even when committing less turnovers and shooting 24 more free throws. Like... if the free throws were even, would they have loss by 30? 40?

That's just not something that should happen to a team that wants to run deep in the playoffs. It's a red flag.

Same thing happened with the Cavs when our team got smoked by Portland by 30 points. Something was seriously wrong (disconnect between coach and players) that our team allowed Portland to do that even without their star player.

I hope Toronto (just because I like them) make a great trade that helps them out big time.

aman_13
02-03-2016, 05:46 PM
They are rumored to go after both Tucker and Morris.