PDA

View Full Version : Tyronn Lue?

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Whether one agrees with the firing of Blatt or not, the oddest thing seems to be that Tyronn Lue, a coach with no head-coaching experience, was given a 3-year deal and the Cavs didn't even bother looking anywhere else.

We've seen teams (like Houston this year), fire a head coach and then pull up an assistant to ride out the season. It happens every year. But how often do teams immediately hand over a multi-year deal to a rookie coach mid-season?

Lue may very well be the best man for the job. After all, Phil Jackson was in a similar situation with he took over the Bulls and that turned out great, but that is also a once-in-a-lifetime event.

There are some great coaches who aren't working right now. Thibs for example. JVG. Mark Jackson. Avery Johnson. Lionel Collins.

Why wouldn't the Cavs ride out the season with Lue and evaluate his performance/explore other options at the end of the season? Or better yet, why wouldn't they try to get somebody like Thibs on board now?

What is the benefit of this approach? How does it make sense? And is Lue that great?

Scoots
01-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Whether one agrees with the firing of Blatt or not, the oddest thing seems to be that Tyronn Lue, a coach with no head-coaching experience, was given a 3-year deal and the Cavs didn't even bother looking anywhere else.

We've seen teams (like Houston this year), fire a head coach and then pull up an assistant to ride out the season. It happens every year. But how often do teams immediately hand over a multi-year deal to a rookie coach mid-season?

Lue may very well be the best man for the job. After all, Phil Jackson was in a similar situation with he took over the Bulls and that turned out great, but that is also a once-in-a-lifetime event.

There are some great coaches who aren't working right now. Thibs for example. JVG. Mark Jackson. Mike Malone. Avery Johnson. Lionel Collins.

Why wouldn't the Cavs ride out the season with Lue and evaluate his performance/explore other options at the end of the season? Or better yet, why wouldn't they try to get somebody like Thibs on board now?

What is the benefit of this approach? How does it make sense? And is Lue that great?
The speculation is that Lue got the assistant job because of LeBron ... Soooo... LeBron's probably got an opinion on coach too.

What i wonder is will LeBron listen to Lue if Lue has a different idea than LeBron.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Cavs probably feel like it would be too much pressure for a coach of good rep to take over one of the most coveted jobs in the league and only have half a season to work with.

Imagine how bad the Cavs would look if they lost in the Playoffs with Thibs?

KG2TB
01-24-2016, 12:34 PM
LeBron wouldn't like playing for Thibs.

aman_13
01-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Lue wants to run more. I'm not sure you want to play that style against GS.

BKLYNpigeon
01-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Mike Malone is the coach of the Nuggets.

Other then Mark Jackson. I don't know of another coach who would want this job. Lue is fine, coaching is not the problem here. Its the players, Until they can figure out their rotation and what to do with Kevin Love, this team is going to struggle.

They say success in the NBA is, 10% management and coaching - 90% Talent and players.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-24-2016, 12:45 PM

...or anyone for that matter.

lakerfan85
01-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Avery Johnson is coaching the Crimson Tide..

flea
01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
This clip sums up Tyronn Lue to me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6knQkVks8&t=1m29s).

He's the saver, man. I believe in him.

Scoots
01-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Cavs probably feel like it would be too much pressure for a coach of good rep to take over one of the most coveted jobs in the league and only have half a season to work with.

Good coaches would likely not see the Cavs as that great a job. Go somewhere where the roster is mostly locked down, where the GM and owner do not support the coach, where the star player is passive aggressive and got the previous coach fired ... not exactly ideal.

Maybe Lue is the perfect hire.

BKLYNpigeon
01-24-2016, 01:44 PM
This clip sums up Tyronn Lue to me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6knQkVks8&t=1m29s).

i like this clip better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXws5m11SA

jerellh528
01-24-2016, 01:46 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/damning-reports-reveal-little-respect-190519395.html

This yahoo article says that the players kind of respected lue more for being a former player. At this point I doubt they even want a coach that can lead the team, they just want one who'll be a yes man for Lebron and not upset the players. They probably figure that hey be got enough talent on the roster to make the coaching choice irrelevant and apparently Lebron and his agent like lue

GottaLoveCubs
01-24-2016, 02:13 PM
I think Lue's comments have made him seem like an absolute scumbag. Immediately throwing Blatt under the bus. Hello!! You were a coach too! You had input on the team that is not playing to the best of their ability. What was he doing? Sitting there collecting a check?

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Thibs is the one I think he'd most like playing for.

He's a great defensive coach, and he likes playing his stars lots of minutes. And LBJ has said he's not the 32-minutes a game kind of player. He was 36+.

The thing I'd be worried about is Love and Thibs, not LBJ and Thibs.

IndyRealist
01-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Other then Mark Jackson. I don't know of another coach who would want this job. Lue is fine, coaching is not the problem here. Its the players, Until they can figure out their rotation and what to do with Kevin Love, this team is going to struggle.

They say success in the NBA is, 10% management and coaching - 90% Talent and players.

Who is "they", exactly? Because I've never heard that or any variation of it before.

CTCUBBIES
01-24-2016, 03:02 PM

Then why did the sign him to a three year extension as well?

CityofTreez
01-24-2016, 03:10 PM

Mr. Big Hit Man! God...great scene!

Chronz
01-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Lue had an awful press conference yesterday and his rotations were spotty as hell (there should never be a moment where 1 of the Big 3 aren't on the floor) but the players did try harder defensively and Love asked out for an early rest because of it, he wasn't the only guy who needed a breather, which he claims messed with his pre planned rotation.

Aside from that hes been true to his word about 3 things, Love did get more elbow touches than he has on average all season the problem is that it came with less post touches where hes been most effective, though Taj prolly played a hand there too. Hes allegedly called out his stars conditioning and he did try a larger rotation, that he abandoned in the 2nd half.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Good coaches would likely not see the Cavs as that great a job. Go somewhere where the roster is mostly locked down, where the GM and owner do not support the coach, where the star player is passive aggressive and got the previous coach fired ... not exactly ideal.

Maybe Lue is the perfect hire.
Eh, still the Cavs current HC position. It would be coveted IMO.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Then why did the sign him to a three year extension as well?

Job security.

ManningToTyree
01-24-2016, 11:13 PM
The promotion isn't the weird part it's the 3 year deal. Why not slap the interim tag on him and then re-evaluate after the season.

What happens if they get bounced before the finals? They gunna fire him? How many coaches do they want to pay at once

beasted86
01-25-2016, 08:27 AM
The promotion isn't the weird part it's the 3 year deal. Why not slap the interim tag on him and then re-evaluate after the season.

What happens if they get bounced before the finals? They gunna fire him? How many coaches do they want to pay at once

Weren't they paying Mike Brown, Bryon Scott, and Blatt all at the same time last season?

Seems their par is 3 at a time.

IndyRealist
01-25-2016, 12:24 PM

If I had to guess, 1) Lue was the guy they wanted before Blatt/Lebron anyway, 2) they wanted to make sure the team knew he wasn't going anywhere, so they needed to listen to him, 3) they didn't want him to be interim, do really well, and leave for somewhere else.

ManningToTyree
01-25-2016, 01:42 PM

If I had to guess, 1) Lue was the guy they wanted before Blatt/Lebron anyway, 2) they wanted to make sure the team knew he wasn't going anywhere, so they needed to listen to him, 3) they didn't want him to be interim, do really well, and leave for somewhere else. then why did they hire Blatt in the first place? Seems like Lue was the organizations second choice but Lebrons first. What job would be better for him to leave to? He was just handed the best roster in the conference. Idk it seemed like something that. Could have been put off.

Scoots
01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
If I had to guess, 1) Lue was the guy they wanted before Blatt/Lebron anyway, 2) they wanted to make sure the team knew he wasn't going anywhere, so they needed to listen to him, 3) they didn't want him to be interim, do really well, and leave for somewhere else.

I would say that is the optimistic view of things :)

R. Johnson#3
01-25-2016, 04:28 PM

Yeah, that would explain why the Spurs are still perennial contenders with an aging core.

R. Johnson#3
01-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Lebron gave Lue the 3 year deal so they can build a dynasty as "Luebron". If they have an early exit this year Lebron will probably fire Lue, force James Jones to retire then hire him as the coach.

SteBO
01-25-2016, 04:45 PM
If Tyronn Lue can get Love more involved in the offense consistently, that's a win already....

beasted86
01-25-2016, 05:25 PM
If Tyronn Lue can get Love more involved in the offense consistently, that's a win already....

How come people are putting so much priority on Love scoring?

If they are trying to outscore the Warriors or Spurs, it's game over already, they have no chance. Lue needs to figure out how to teach Love pick and roll defense in 4 months.

Chromehounds
01-25-2016, 06:09 PM
T. Lue got a 3yr contract, yes LeRun was not involved in the hiring and firing at all. This is where I type LOL. ;)

SteBO
01-26-2016, 08:53 AM
How come people are putting so much priority on Love scoring?

If they are trying to outscore the Warriors or Spurs, it's game over already, they have no chance. Lue needs to figure out how to teach Love pick and roll defense in 4 months.
I wouldn't say I'm putting priority on it, but you gotta admit that it's part of the Cavs' problem. If Love isn't involved offensively, he's virtually unplayable because of his defense. I have my doubts that his defense can be "fixed" at this point, so might as well get him offensively engaged. Dude's gonna be making in excess of $110 million over the next 5 years.

IndyRealist
01-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Yeah Kevin Love is always going to be a flat footed defender, but if you can get him to be a monster in the post again, you can force GS to either match up or sit with foul trouble.