PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Fire Blatt

Pages : [1] 2

Stunner
01-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Cleveland has fired coach David Blatt, sources tell Yahoo.

Vinny642
01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Wow, smh, scapegoat

tredigs
01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Holyyyyyyyyyyy ****!

flea
01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Lebron fired his assistant. No worries, he can be head coach, assistant, leading scorer, and still guard every position on the court. :worthy::worthy:

geauxtigers1989
01-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Why?

Ball_Out
01-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Lebron is his own worst enemy.

sf-fanatic
01-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Lebron fired his assistant. No worries, he can be head coach, assistant, leading scorer, and still guard every position on the court. :worthy::worthy:

And the GM lol

Stunner
01-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Assistant Ty Lue has agreed to a multi-year deal as new Cavaliers head coach, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

kdspurman
Wow...

tredigs

What a joke.

****ing Lebron. You damn well know he is the one who pulled the trigger here. This guy needs somebody to take the blame.

WaDe03
I hope we follow and Fire Spo. Either that or have him take a step down and focus on defense and bring in someone like Mark Jackson or even Walton to see if we can get some kind of offensive consistency. That's of course when we have more than 8 players available to play.

Wade n Fade
01-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Bound to happen eventually. Blatt is an incompetent coach. He nearly hurt their chances of making the finals by nearly getting a technical for being out of timeouts.

still1ballin
01-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Put in Tyrone lue dude

flea
I hope we follow and Fire Spo. Either that or have him take a step down and focus on defense and bring in someone like Mark Jackson or even Walton to see if we can get some kind of offensive consistency. That's of course when we have more than 8 players available to play.

Bring in Mark Jackson to...help...an offense............

tredigs
The night right after they looked poised in beating a top tier team, at that.

SteBO
01-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Doesn't matter. It doesn't change their standing.

ewing
01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
wow, has anyone else been fired mid season with a .700 winning %? Did he **** LeBron's Mom or something?

TRIUMPHATOR
01-22-2016, 05:08 PM
Is it possible that we see the revival of player coach?....

Of course not?

Lol Lebron.

greg_ory_2005
01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow bring #1 seed can't even save a coach nowadays lmao

lakerfan85
01-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Haha.. Wtf?!!

CubsRule08
Obviously this had to be LeBron's call. He's running the ****ing team and everybody knows it...

What a joke.

Slug3
I mean Lue I think will do fine. Yes he is already on a great team, but from everything I have ever read about his as an assistant it seems like a lot of players like him and think he really knows his stuff.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:11 PM
For the record, I would like to say I think this brings the Cavs championship hopes from slim to none (barring injuries to Kawhi and/or Curry and/or KD or Westbrook). I could actually forsee an Eastern Conference loss at this point. That is WAY too big of a move to make mid-season. Is he going to shift their offensive or defensive system on the fly? If so, how in the world is that enough time to implement it? This is hilariously stupid.

sixers247
01-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Additionally, ESPN's Brian Windhorst says LeBron James was not consulted on this decision.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Additionally, ESPN's Brian Windhorst says LeBron James was not consulted on this decision.

Andddd the troll tweet of the year goes tooo. BRIAN WINDHORST.

There is no world where that is true barring Blatt sleeping with Gilbert's wife. Though obviously that will be the organizations line.

kdspurman
01-22-2016, 05:13 PM

Of course Windhorst would say that. There's no way they make that move without Lebron knowing. 0 chance IMO.

yungincome
01-22-2016, 05:14 PM
What? Why? Oh, Lebron. :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
01-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Happy for him, and Lebron.

To constantly see him getting blatantly undermined on national TV wasn't a good look for either of them.

Hopefully they get a coach that demands respect in there ASAP.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Happy for him, and Lebron.

To constantly see him getting blatantly undermined on national TV wasn't a good look for either of them.

Hopefully they get a coach that demands respect in there ASAP.

Did you see Lebron sitting in Blatt's seat during the 4th quarter of the Golden State blowout? That was such an under the radar (but so arrogant and blatant) "**** You" from Lebron. For no reason that I could see other than Lebron was butt hurt.

D-Leethal
Pressure ALL falls on LeBron now. No more Blatt to pass the blame too. LeBron better get it done or this is a major black eye for him. Yet another move that might come back to annihilate his public standing after he spent 5 years admirably repairing it in the eyes of the fans.

kdspurman
Lebron didn't know...lol...Reminds me of this

http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dwight-howard-stan-van-gundy-21.jpeg

Vee-Rex
For the record, I would like to say I think this brings the Cavs championship hopes from slim to none (barring injuries to Kawhi and/or Curry and/or KD or Westbrook). I could actually forsee an Eastern Conference loss at this point. That is WAY too big of a move to make mid-season. Is he going to shift their offensive or defensive system on the fly? If so, how in the world is that enough time to implement it? This is hilariously stupid.

This is lolworthy.

They were hardly ever running Blatt's system in the first place. I don't think much is going to change - in fact, I think the biggest benefit will be from in-game adjustments.

You're severely overestimating David Blatt's actual impact on the Cavs. The players already know what they're doing. Luke Walton isn't a better coach than Steve Kerr yet the Warriors have an even better record than they did at this time last year.

still1ballin
01-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Lebron needs to go back to miami

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
This is lolworthy.

They were hardly ever running Blatt's system in the first place. I don't think much is going to change - in fact, I think the biggest benefit will be from in-game adjustments.

You're severely overestimating David Blatt's actual impact on the Cavs. The players already know what they're doing. Luke Walton isn't a better coach than Steve Kerr yet the Warriors have an even better record than they did at this time last year.

Why is it lol worthy? The Cavs don't really have much of a chance.

Also, how do any of us know that Luke isn't a better coach than Kerr?

Slug3
01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Lebron needs to go back to miami

One of the reasons Lebron left is because he couldn't get his way there. We wouldn't fire a coach going 30-11 and after a finals appearance because Lebron wanted us to.

Shammyguy3
01-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Was gonna say Thibs to CLE?

but nope

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:22 PM
This is lolworthy.

If you don't think firing a coach mid-season sends massive ripples through an organization and takes a hell of a lot of adjusting (on and off court) to compensate for, then, well, I love your optimism my friend.

Rest assure, Kerr was very much a part of what the Warriors were doing all season, regardless of his presence on the sideline during the game. That continuity they tethered together over the off-season further progressed the system he and his assistants implemented. Guys like Ron Adams never left, either, and he trusts them fully to continue the progress they had already made. That's what makes Kerr so special.

Anyway, good luck!

Kyben36
01-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Its not his fault, lebron has been impossible to coach since he went to miami and was handed the keys. All the offense are is running, isolations, and 3pt shooting. You cant run an offense through 1 guy, thats why the spurs and now the wariors are so good. I dont think ive ever seen lebron actualy do anything in an offensive set though, its allways iso/pick plays.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Why is it lol worthy? The Cavs don't really have much of a chance.

Also, how do any of us know that Luke isn't a better coach than Kerr?

Anyone thinking that David Blatt is the difference between running over the Eastern Conference and being knocked out is severely misinformed.

I'd implore anyone with that mindset to list reasons why Blatt makes that big of a difference (NOT list reasons any typical coach could... list reasons why BLATT would be that difference).

Rivera
01-22-2016, 05:25 PM
This seemed like it was gonna happen since the middle of the season last season. He never got a real chance.

They should just get Mike brown back too. Let Lebron run offense again and let mike take care of the D while lue overseas everything and manages the egos as head coach

Gibby23
Anyone thinking that David Blatt is the difference between running over the Eastern Conference and being knocked out is severely misinformed.

I'd implore anyone with that mindset to list reasons why Blatt makes that big of a difference (NOT list reasons any typical coach could... list reasons why BLATT would be that difference).

"Man, you know it's all about getting one for the land."

SportsFanatic10

That would be amazing but I highly doubt Pat will do it. I don't even want Spo as a defensive assistant, his system just doesn't work on this team anymore without the great athletes in Lebron and Wade from years past and experienced players like Battier to run it. It had already become less effective before Lebron left after everyone figured it out and adjusted. I think it's time the Heat part with him altogether, he's been dragging them down long enough.

As for Blatt the firing is not a big surprise in and of itself, but the timing mid season definitely raises eyebrows. It shows part of the reason I believe Lebron left, Riley and the Heat wouldn't give him absolute and full control over the organization and he wanted that.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
If you don't think firing a coach mid-season sends massive ripples through an organization and takes a hell of a lot of adjusting (on and off court) to compensate for, then, well, I love your optimism my friend.

Rest assure, Kerr was very much a part of what the Warriors were doing all season, regardless of his presence on the sideline during the game. That continuity they tethered together over the off-season further progressed the system he and his assistants implemented. Guys like Ron Adams never left, either, and he trusts them fully to continue the progress they had already made. That's what makes Kerr so special.

Anyway, good luck!

This is true for the typical coach. Blatt's situation was probably the most atypical of any coach in the league, though. He was a puppet, and much of the Cavs success is owed to the actual players.

It isn't optimism so much as it is the reality of the situation. Everyone knew Blatt wasn't truly coaching the team and his impact very minimal, and in a way his firing is proof of it.

mngopher35
01-22-2016, 05:29 PM
I don't see any way Lebron wasn't informed and on board with this at the least. I wonder what was said at that player meeting they had after loves comments and gs game the other night? Timing seems pretty odd.

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
This is true for the typical coach. Blatt's situation was probably the most atypical of any coach in the league, though. He was a puppet, and much of the Cavs success is owed to the actual players.

It isn't optimism so much as it is the reality of the situation. Everyone knew Blatt wasn't truly coaching the team and his impact very minimal, and in a way his firing is proof of it.

You ever think that has to do with Lebron? Sure they have enough talent to win games but not enough to win the title without some kind of system.

Blatt wasn't even allowed to implement his system because Lebron wanted to run different things, at that point last year Blatt became a puppet. Blatt has a pretty good system and basketball mind that was put to rest once Lebron came back.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm hearing that David Blatt told his friends/family/associates that it's either HIM or Kevin Love. It's only speculation, but yeah...

News is coming out that the players are supporting it and that Blatt was doing a terrible job.

Lakers + Giants
01-22-2016, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwFM15L4mQI

GiantsSwaGG
01-22-2016, 05:32 PM

LeBron is a piece of ****, you're telling me, best record in the east, a lock to making it to the finals and he gets fired? Wtf

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm hearing that David Blatt told his friends/family/associates that it's either HIM or Kevin Love. It's only speculation, but yeah...

News is coming out that the players are supporting it and that Blatt was doing a terrible job.

If true, he was right about Kevin Love. They are not winning a title with him.

GiantsSwaGG
01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
LeBron is ruining the franchise, trade Wiggins for Love (will hurt them in the future)

Traded for Shump and JR, guys that were TRASH in the finals

Fired a coach that lead them to the finals and his second season the best record in the east

LeBron James = Isiah Thomas

tredigs
Hope Blatt wasn't looking forward to the honor of coaching the All-Star game.

#Classy

I wonder if there's ever been a precedent for a coach of the defending conference championship team and current #1 seed in their conference to be fired?

Tony_Starks
I don't see any way Lebron wasn't informed and on board with this at the least. I wonder what was said at that player meeting they had after loves comments and gs game the other night? Timing seems pretty odd.

Informed? Man Lebron has been throwing Blatt under the bus publicly and privately for quite a while now. I'm shocked it actually took this long, there have been numerous articles written about him disrespecting the coach in front of the team both in practice and in games going back to last season.

Trust me, Lebron is definitely on board...

kdspurman

I saw something that said the only guy who backed Blatt, was Gilbert. Who knows...

GiantsSwaGG
01-22-2016, 05:35 PM

And he's absolutely right, Love is a horrible fit, should of never made the trade

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:35 PM
You ever think that has to do with Lebron? Sure they have enough talent to win games but not enough to win the title without some kind of system.

Blatt wasn't even allowed to implement his system because Lebron wanted to run different things, at that point last year Blatt became a puppet. Blatt has a pretty good system and basketball mind that was put to rest once Lebron came back.

I've watched practically every single Cavs game since like, 2009. I've seen Blatt's system and how it failed rather miserably. The offense tires out and the defense adjusts in the same half to shut it down.

Maybe, if Blatt had 2 or 3 years to establish that system it could be successful. But the Cavs/Lebron know they don't have nearly enough time to wait for that.

Big Zo
01-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Hopefully this turns out to be another great decision, like not keeping Andrew Wiggins. :)

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:38 PM
I've watched practically every single Cavs game since like, 2009. I've seen Blatt's system and how it failed rather miserably. The offense tires out and the defense adjusts in the same half to shut it down.

Maybe, if Blatt had 2 or 3 years to establish that system it could be successful. But the Cavs/Lebron know they don't have nearly enough time to wait for that.
But they have time to reboot a new system mid-season? Or just continue with the one they are currently running? ... Makes no sense.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Honestly, given Gilbert's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a feud between the two.

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Time? Lol. All they have is time. They aint winning a title and Lebron has the Cavs paying a boatload of money for Love who they traded a young stud for that would have been more of a help. All he has is time now, he screwed it up. Hard to fix as they get older and are over the cap

Sly Guy
01-22-2016, 05:40 PM
what'd he do? Sleep with LeBron's mom or something?

No really, I know he really hasn't played much of a role in the Cavs' success, but still this kind of turnover mid-season with championship aspirations, it seems like a risky thing to do.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:41 PM
It's pretty awkward that they signed Tyron Lue to a multi-year deal, knowing that he will also be fired within a year. The Cavs are either losing in the ECF's, or getting pummeled in the Finals, and Lebron is going to need a scapegoat for that. Hell, Lebron's a free agent this summer. He may just leave town again.

I'm not trolling you Cavs fans by the way. I feel like these are all by far the most likely scenarios.

sammyvine
01-22-2016, 05:42 PM
lol cavs

such an incompetent franchise...they can have all the talent but they will still mess up

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-22-2016, 05:42 PM
This also adds another big name for head coaching candidates this summer too.

NYKnickFanatic
01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Dude, wtf? This came outta nowhere!

mngopher35
01-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Informed? Man Lebron has been throwing Blatt under the bus publicly and privately for quite a while now. I'm shocked it actually took this long, there have been numerous articles written about him disrespecting the coach in front of the team both in practice and in games going back to last season.

Trust me, Lebron is definitely on board...

Someone posted a tweet saying he had no idea, I was just saying he had to have. They wouldn't risk doing it if they didn't know he was ok with it.

I am wondering why it happened right now though, after a players meeting, and after a night where they played together offensively so well. It sounds like a lot of the players felt he wasn't good enough so I wonder if this was basically decided by them when they got together.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:45 PM
But they have time to reboot a new system mid-season? Or just continue with the one they are currently running? ... Makes no sense.

Regardless, if there's so much friction in the locker room then something needs to be done.

I've listed (in the other thread) a ton of reasons (and I can add on to it) why Blatt wasn't doing a good job at all. The Cavs are a badly coached team, and badly coached teams don't win championships.

I'd rather move on from that and take a risk in seeing if guys can establish something in a super short time period than stick with something that's dead. And who knows, maybe Lue was already working on something and can get the players to buy in.

It all remains to be seen. We don't know what will or could happen, we just know that Blatt was terrible and had no idea what to do.

zn23
01-22-2016, 05:46 PM
This will put a lot of pressure on Gilbert and LeBron to win a title now. Because now you can't say it was the coaches fault.

Hopefully this inspires the team and hopefully Kevin Love starts playing better against the good teams.

Gibby23
It's pretty awkward that they signed Tyron Lue to a multi-year deal, knowing that he will also be fired within a year. The Cavs are either losing in the ECF's, or getting pummeled in the Finals, and Lebron is going to need a scapegoat for that. Hell, Lebron's a free agent this summer. He may just leave town again.

I'm not trolling you Cavs fans by the way. I feel like these are all by far the most likely scenarios.

Exactly. This is so Lebron can call the shots. Why not make Lue the interim and look for an established big name coach in the off season. Thibs is out there, but he would clash with Lebron, so they give Lue more money and years. lol

NYKnickFanatic
Why would they sign Lue to a 3 year deal? That is more confusing than firing Blatt.

SteBO
01-22-2016, 05:47 PM
I saw something that said the only guy who backed Blatt, was Gilbert. Who knows...
This was the case since the beginning of last year even after LBJ went to CLE. The fact he made a complete 180 degree turn on this tells me that LBJ had an obvious hand in it. Shouldn't surprise anyone.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Woj is saying that Lebron and his agent have been pushing for Lue takeover since last season......

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 05:49 PM

It's definitely pretty awkward. I disagree that Lebron would leave again. Even he knows how enormous of a mistake that would be.

Cleveland deserves trolling tbh, the sports franchises are known to make the most stupid decisions ever, and I see why this one is viewed as one of them. I just think that Blatt's impact was minimal and have thought that way for some time now.

SteBO
01-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Why would they sign Lue to a 3 year deal? That is more confusing than firing Blatt.
Easy, Lue is the one coach on the sidelines LBJ had a good standing with. Most likely, he's a puppet. But then again, Lue could have something in store to get players to buy in. We'll see, but things will remain unchanged.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Regardless, if there's so much friction in the locker room then something needs to be done.

I've listed (in the other thread) a ton of reasons (and I can add on to it) why Blatt wasn't doing a good job at all. The Cavs are a badly coached team, and badly coached teams don't win championships.

I'd rather move on from that and take a risk in seeing if guys can establish something in a super short time period than stick with something that's dead. And who knows, maybe Lue was already working on something and can get the players to buy in.

It all remains to be seen. We don't know what will or could happen, we just know that Blatt was terrible and had no idea what to do.

I agree. Frankly, any team that allows a dick of a player to sit in the coaches chair during the 4th quarter of a blowout, is a badly coached team. Hell, maybe that was Lebron saying, "I'm the coach, and I need to take the blame for this". But somehow I think it is just him being an uncoachable dick once again. In case you forgot, he did similar things to Mike Brown, and was not too subtle about the fact that he wanted Spo gone from Miami after year 1. Fortunately for Miami, Riley essentially told 'Bron to stfu and ride the wave, and they won a couple titles due to that continuity they formed after some time together and buying into a system.

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Easy, Lue is the one coach on the sidelines LBJ had a good standing with. Most likely, he's a puppet. But then again, Lue could have something in store to get players to buy in. We'll see, but things will remain unchanged.

Looks like a little kid. Doesn't have that winning coach feel. He will have a good record though. lol

SteBO
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
It's definitely pretty awkward. I disagree that Lebron would leave again. Even he knows how enormous of a mistake that would be.

Cleveland deserves trolling tbh, the sports franchises are known to make the most stupid decisions ever, and I see why this one is viewed as one of them. I just think that Blatt's impact was minimal and have thought that way for some time now.
Apparently the players thought so too. But the owner Dan Gilbert and the GM for a while, didn't. The 180 degree turn is the alarming part.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 05:53 PM
I just think Blatt got absolutely hosed in this situation, and the fact that 'Bron is going to deny knowledge of the firing is insanely disingenuous and just makes me respect him less. So arrogant.

Gibby23
01-22-2016, 05:55 PM
All star game thing that tredigs brought up sucks so bad.

Big Zo
01-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Spo is the only coach that LeBron wasn't able to fire/get fired. Mad props to Spo.

papipapsmanny
01-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Not going to lie, as a Wizards fan I would love hire Blatt as a coach for Wall and Beal for a fast paced offense

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Blatt got hosed big time. I feel bad for him, he seems like a really good guy.

He came to Cleveland before LeBron and Love did so I imagine things could have played out much differently if we got Bron + Love before the coach. I bet Calipari would've taken that massive contract offer.

I think (more or less) we remain the same. I think some Eastern Conference teams would have to make some moves at the trade deadline to knock us off, but if we do make the finals we'll likely get destroyed by whoever is there.

I'm excited to see where this goes since we were practically guaranteed to lose anyway. For awhile now Blatt was rumored to play a heavy hand in Love being out at the perimeter European-style so much even when LBJ is on the bench and doesn't need floor spacing. Can't wait 'til we play the Bulls tomorrow night.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 06:02 PM
*That time a regular season loss was so demonstrative it got the head coach of a 1 seed fired*

tredigs
01-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Blatt got hosed big time. I feel bad for him, he seems like a really good guy.

He came to Cleveland before LeBron and Love did so I imagine things could have played out much differently if we got Bron + Love before the coach. I bet Calipari would've taken that massive contract offer.

I think (more or less) we remain the same. I think some Eastern Conference teams would have to make some moves at the trade deadline to knock us off, but if we do make the finals we'll likely get destroyed by whoever is there.

I'm excited to see where this goes since we were practically guaranteed to lose anyway. For awhile now Blatt was rumored to play a heavy hand in Love being out at the perimeter European-style so much even when LBJ is on the bench and doesn't need floor spacing. Can't wait 'til we play the Bulls tomorrow night.

Out of respect for you and other Cavs fans I'm going to stop with the negative comments, because in all honesty you guys deserve better. This firing just does not sit that well with me, it just feels wrong. Especially right before the All Star Game he was going to coach. But, such is the life of pro sports in this age.

ManningToTyree
01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Lebron runs the show

Hawkeye15
01-22-2016, 06:09 PM
kind of a shocker. I would LOVE it he the Wolves hired him for next season. Or hell, fire Mitchell right now and bring him in haha

Hawkeye15
01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
I just think Blatt got absolutely hosed in this situation, and the fact that 'Bron is going to deny knowledge of the firing is insanely disingenuous and just makes me respect him less. So arrogant.

no way, LeBron denied even knowing about it prior?

That is straight up b.s.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Out of respect for you and other Cavs fans I'm going to stop with the negative comments, because in all honesty you guys deserve better. This firing just does not sit that well with me, it just feels wrong. Especially right before the All Star Game he was going to coach. But, such is the life of pro sports in this age.

Lol you're cool, man.

It's the truth... Cavs had been winning lots of games and had that Monday night game circled on our calendars. Curry taunted us with the champagne comment and what happened? We got annihilated at home. That one game did that.

I believe he was basically fired after that but they wanted to wait a couple games before doing it.

mngopher35
01-22-2016, 06:21 PM
kind of a shocker. I would LOVE it he the Wolves hired him for next season. Or hell, fire Mitchell right now and bring him in haha

Not sure if he is the coach is want (I think he's solid but haven't seen enough) but I would gladly take him if it meant Mitchell was gone today

Hawkeye15
01-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Not sure if he is the coach is want (I think he's solid but haven't seen enough) but I would gladly take him if it meant Mitchell was gone today

Wolves fans would gladly take me as the coach if it meant Mitchell was gone today

mngopher35
01-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Wolves fans would gladly take me as the coach if it meant Mitchell was gone today

Good point haha. Seriously though at the least this adds another candidate for teams in need of a coach. I think he deserves a chance and can get it if he chooses.

kdspurman
01-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Spo is the only coach that LeBron wasn't able to fire/get fired. Mad props to Spo.

Not Spo, Riley. LeBron clashed with him too at times, I'm sure he would've preferred someone else. Riley ran things though.

Twins Fanatic

I'd rather have McHale, Marc Jackson or Scoot Brooks. But I suppose anything is better than Sam Mitchell

HandsOnTheWheel
Lebron to GS next summer.

BKLYNpigeon
01-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Well played Lebron, well played...

what a joke.

Shady66
01-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Why now? Why not after last years finals or after this year? Makes no sense.

Stunner
01-22-2016, 06:57 PM
How surprised were Cavs players today? When team meeting was called, some players speculated Kevin Love had been traded

https://twitter.com/windhorstespn/status/690668130868195328

Big Zo
01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Not Spo, Riley. LeBron clashed with him too at times, I'm sure he would've preferred someone else. Riley ran things though.

I know Riley ran things. That's why I also said "get" fired. LeBron is a killer of coaching careers.

Stunner
01-22-2016, 07:03 PM
David Blatt told friends in Israel last week, "It's either me or Kevin Love." Just surprised LeBron didn't decide sooner...

https://twitter.com/petervecsey1/status/690646761703088129

Sly Guy
01-22-2016, 07:18 PM

I agree....Lue has no head coaching experience, and now he's being thrown into a situation mid-season where the expectations are as high as can be.

And say they don't win it all this year. Does LeBron stick around? I fear if he leaves Cleveland will be up the creek without a paddle for many years to come.

Bostonjorge
01-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Love makes the comment that he has no idea what his role is on this team. Blatt makes the adjustment. Next 2 games love gets plays called for him in the and has 2 big games. His scoring and rebounds went up. Most importantly love found a role that made him play more effectively. Love started inside and started moving outside like in minny.

That was the down fall of Blatt. James don't want love in the post but outside waiting for James to call his number. Blatt making adjustments is what got him fired.

Wade n Fade
01-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Let's breakdown some of the roster moves in the LeBron "Return to Cleveland Era?"

Let's start off with the Love trade: 1st rounder, Wiggins, and Bennett to the T-Wolves, Cavs got Love, and 76ers got Alexi Shved and Luc Richard Mbah Moute while sending Thad Young to the T-Wolves as well.

I thought the Cavs wouldn't gel since day 1. You're looking at a decent trade on paper for the Cavs, right? But in actuality, you get an injury prone and a lazy defender. Now, Wiggins looks like a stud and the Cavs mortgaged their future in a bad deal.

Traded G Dion Waiters to Oklahoma City for a protected 2015 first-round draft pick. Traded F Lou Amundson and C Alex Kirk and a 2019 second-round draft pick to the N.Y. Knicks for Gs J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert.

So Dion Waiters, a young SG that the Cavs drafted really high turned into JR Smith and Iman Shumpert. JR Smith is a head case. Shumpert is injury prone and limited offensively. Both were bad in the NBA Finals. I thought that was a bad trade.

Acquired C Timofey Mozgov from Denver for two protected 2015 first-round draft picks.

Mozgov played decent for the Cavs in the Finals. How has he regressed so much? I thought the Cavs gave up too much for him.

These deals are bad for a team that went all in just to keep LeBron happy. Having him doesn't mean a team has to bend to his every whim. Who is he to demand this type of "control?"

I didn't even address the FA moves. Perkins, MM, James Jones, Amudson, Love, Thompson, etc. They have hurt their cap so badly that it means they cannot make too many moves. The difference between the Miami and Cavs teams comes down to one simple factor: "buying in."

The Cavs don't have selfless players. Love is all about himself and is a mental midget, JR Smith is a head case, Kyrie Irving doesn't gel with Love so much as the FO would hope, TT doesn't want to take less $ to help the Cavs with their cap situation.

Wade n Fade
01-22-2016, 07:24 PM
As for Love or Blatt, the decision is simple. Love got a max deal pretty much, so the Cavs have no choice to commit to him now given Blatt's ineptitude last season. It's a no brainer to keep the struggling PF over an embattled coach. But both might be gone before the month is over. Whoever is stupid enough to take K-Love ought to be fired.

R. Johnson#3
01-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Lebron fired Blatt.

Bostonjorge
01-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Trade love to Okc for kanter

kubernetes
01-22-2016, 07:36 PM
It was also easier to fire Blatt because he wasn't Lebron's pick, like Love. This way they can say "It just wasn't a good fit-- we hired him before we knew Lebron was coming back," as opposed to "Yeah, we messed up in giving Lebron too much power." Look at that ridiculous tweet about Lebron not even being consulted-- they're desperate to limit any anti-Lebron fallout.

kdspurman
01-22-2016, 07:47 PM
I saw this and thought it was funny lol

"Love tried to defend Blatt, but the firing came by pick and roll."

Scoots
01-22-2016, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Blatt still wants the job he turned down in Oakland? The Warriors are likely to lose their top assistant again next off-season when Walton gets hired to run the Kobe-less Lakers :)

No better place for him to go to resurrect his NBA career.

I'm not joking.

numba1CHANGsta
01-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Best record by far in the East, 3rd best overall record in the NBA and they fire him? TBH it doesn't matter who coaches the team because of the talent they have and because LeBron runs the show in CLE, but this just makes them look bad, making them look like their in panic mode even though they're a championship contending team. Guess LeBron is not only a player, but he's the coach, GM, and owner of the Cavs LOL But the funniest part about all of this is that the Cavs will still fail in the Finals against the Spurs or Warriors

GottaLoveCubs
01-22-2016, 08:07 PM
These deals are bad for a team that went all in just to keep LeBron happy. Having him doesn't mean a team has to bend to his every whim. Who is he to demand this type of "control?"

I didn't even address the FA moves. Perkins, MM, James Jones, Amudson, Love, Thompson, etc. They have hurt their cap so badly that it means they cannot make too many moves. The difference between the Miami and Cavs teams comes down to one simple factor: "buying in."

They did this last time too. They made trades and signed old FA's to make Lebron happy. Ruined their cap. And then he took off to Miami. That is why they were so terrible for so long. Riley made moves that were best for the team. It didn't matter if Lebron was happy about it. Riley knew that's what had to be done and it was done. Cleveland is terrified of Lebron leaving again, that they are doing anything and everything to keep him happy and it is destroying this team. He is not a GM. He's not even a coach! Tell him to play and shut the hell up! After this year, sign him to a 5 year max deal with no opt outs and be done with it. He is going to hold the team ransom till he gets his way.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2016, 08:08 PM
After another Finals L Kevin Love will be the next contestant on the Blame Game...

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2016, 08:10 PM
I'd be curious to know if a coach has ever won a championship in any sport not having coached a full season.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 08:12 PM
About Damn time. Didn't think Cleveland had the stones, dude was totally overmatched given his talent, he was suppose to coach a lottery team, but whenever you add Bron the expectations go through the roof.

Wonder what sealed it. Smart move imo

Teeboy1487
01-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Yet Byron Scott still has a job? I swear man, I think I'm in the twilight zone sometimes. I'm surprised though. It's not like the Cavs were terrible.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-22-2016, 08:19 PM
It's clear the team doesn't respect him. A shame because he's really good.

KnicksFan4Years
01-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Yet Byron Scott still has a job? I swear man, I think I'm in the twilight zone sometimes. I'm surprised though. It's not like the Cavs were terrible.

If you rearrange the letters in Byron Scott's name, I swear it spells "TANK JOB"!

Your draft pick is top 3 protected or it goes to someone else. Byron Scott is insurance that you stay a bottom 2 team all season.

KnicksFan4Years
01-22-2016, 08:22 PM
It's clear LeBum doesn't respect him. A shame because he's really good.

There! I fixed it for you.

SportsFanatic10
01-22-2016, 08:40 PM
I'd be curious to know if a coach has ever won a championship in any sport not having coached a full season.

Riley in 06 with Miami comes to mind off the top of my head.

Teeboy1487
01-22-2016, 08:52 PM
If you rearrange the letters in Byron Scott's name, I swear it spells "TANK JOB"!

Your draft pick is top 3 protected or it goes to someone else. Byron Scott is insurance that you stay a bottom 2 team all season. Guess you have a point. I still hate tanking. It's the worst watching such a terrible team which why I'm still surprised by this firing. Blatt was doing a good job imo. The Cavs just beat the Clippers. That was a good win. I guess they always wanted Lue to be coach.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Can you imagine how hilarious it would be if Lebron used the company line they have of "him not knowing" about this to leave Cleveland this summer? Lebron, "you know, I just didn't appreciate how they handled that Blatt situation, who I was a major supporter of and was not consulted before hand of his firing, so I'm going to take my talents to...".

He IS an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Vee-Rex
01-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Lol @ the guy that said we made a bad move trading Dion Waiters.

Wade n Fade
01-22-2016, 09:06 PM
They did this last time too. They made trades and signed old FA's to make Lebron happy. Ruined their cap. And then he took off to Miami. That is why they were so terrible for so long. Riley made moves that were best for the team. It didn't matter if Lebron was happy about it. Riley knew that's what had to be done and it was done. Cleveland is terrified of Lebron leaving again, that they are doing anything and everything to keep him happy and it is destroying this team. He is not a GM. He's not even a coach! Tell him to play and shut the hell up! After this year, sign him to a 5 year max deal with no opt outs and be done with it. He is going to hold the team ransom till he gets his way.

Thing is that Danny Ferry is a much better "GM" than LeBron is tbh. I doubt he signs a 5 year max deal if he can have this type of power elsewhere. Now if I was LeBron, I would've reupped in Miami from the start because the Heat would've had Bosh, Wade, LeBron, and Gasol as the best players. Hard to defend that type of lineup too. Cleveland fans have to be very weary right now because if they don't win the title this year, they might see their favorite franchise player taking his talents elsewhere to another franchise.

kdspurman
01-22-2016, 09:08 PM
I agree. Frankly, any team that allows a dick of a player to sit in the coaches chair during the 4th quarter of a blowout, is a badly coached team. Hell, maybe that was Lebron saying, "I'm the coach, and I need to take the blame for this". But somehow I think it is just him being an uncoachable dick once again. In case you forgot, he did similar things to Mike Brown, and was not too subtle about the fact that he wanted Spo gone from Miami after year 1. Fortunately for Miami, Riley essentially told 'Bron to stfu and ride the wave, and they won a couple titles due to that continuity they formed after some time together and buying into a system.

That was such a classless move by Lebron sitting in his chair and likely *****ing about him to Lue. It wasn't Blatts fault they got blasted, players should take some responsibility too...

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Riley in 06 with Miami comes to mind off the top of my head.

But that's Pat Riley. Lue has no HC experience.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 09:19 PM
But that's Pat Riley. Lue has no HC experience.
He was close tho, one answer that i know of was actually Pat Riley in 82 lol..... Magic got his championship winning coach fired and they won because of it imo.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 09:21 PM
That was such a classless move by Lebron sitting in his chair and likely *****ing about him to Lue. It wasn't Blatts fault they got blasted, players should take some responsibility too...

Or earlier this year when the team was down big in the 3rd quarter versus the Hawks and he just up and sat down on the bench in the middle of the game. Left the Cavs with 4 guys and they gave him a T.

He's a classless punk, always has been. Just gets the benefit of the doubt from people because he's so popular. Can you imagine a world where Tim Duncan or Curry did something like that? I sure can't. The dude's in his 30's now. Apparently he is who he is.

bucketss
01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
LeBron is ruining the franchise, trade Wiggins for Love (will hurt them in the future)

Traded for Shump and JR, guys that were TRASH in the finals

Fired a coach that lead them to the finals and his second season the best record in the east

LeBron James = Isiah Thomas

Lol shump/jr were great additions i honestly was shocked phill let them go for nothing, i mean they could really use them right now

bucketss
01-22-2016, 09:36 PM
brendan haywood

“From what I was hearing, David Blatt kind of lost the team,” Haywood told hosts Justine Termine and former NBA player Eddie Johnson. “Then there were differences about what guys should be playing and what guys weren’t playing, from a management-coaching standpoint.

“When you throw in those type of things combined with the fact that Tyronn Lue already had a lot of power in the organization, had a lot of traction, and a lot of people that were there already viewed him as the coach, these type of things happen.”

“Coach Blatt was very hesitant to challenge LeBron James,” Haywood said. “It was one of those situations where, being a rookie coach, and LeBron being bigger than life, it was a little too much for him. I remember we had James Jones [talk] to Coach about how, ‘Hey, you can’t just skip over when LeBron James makes a mistake in the film room.’ Because we all see it.

“And we’re like, ‘Hey, you didn’t say anything about that. You’re going to correct when Matthew Dellavedova‘s not in the right spot. You’re going to say something when Tristan Thompson‘s not in the right spot. Well, we see a fast break and LeBron didn’t get back on defense or there’s a rotation and he’s supposed to be there, and you just keep rolling the film and the whole room is quiet.’ We see that as players. That’s when … as a player, you start to lose respect for a coach.

“Slowly but surely, that respect started chipping away where he would kind of be scared to correct LeBron in film sessions. When he would call every foul for LeBron in practice. Those type of things add up. Guys are like, ‘C’mon man, are you scared of him?’ ”

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2016, 09:47 PM
He was close tho, one answer that i know of was actually Pat Riley in 82 lol..... Magic got his championship winning coach fired and they won because of it imo.

Lol that's ironic.

It's still Pat Riley though. I don't doubt Lue, but Riley's simply a legend.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lue turns out really good, but it's still Pat Riley.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Or earlier this year when the team was down big in the 3rd quarter versus the Hawks and he just up and sat down on the bench in the middle of the game. Left the Cavs with 4 guys and they gave him a T.

He's a classless punk, always has been. Just gets the benefit of the doubt from people because he's so popular. Can you imagine a world where Tim Duncan or Curry did something like that? I sure can't. The dude's in his 30's now. Apparently he is who he is.
You're probably preparing your argument for Curry being better than Lebron if the Dubs with this year lol.

*Silver&Black*
So is Lue going to be Eastern All-star Head Coach?

LOb0
"They were top in the East why fire him?"

Anyone who says that is an idiot. You or anyone else could have coached this team to the record they have now. The team looked poorly coached, Kevin Love had no role, an losses to top teams didn't seem to bother Blatt. LeBron was always the one calling guys out saying we need to play better even when they won, Blatt just seemed content with everything.

I'm glad they've learned from the Mike Brown situation that just because your record is good, doesn't mean that your coach is. Its a gutsy move because morons that don't understand the situation will give a ton of backlash.

Its no different then when Mike Brown was fired a year after being coach of the year. Where is he now?

tredigs
01-22-2016, 09:56 PM
You're probably preparing your argument for Curry being better than Lebron if the Dubs with this year lol.

"Preparing"? Curry is better than Lebron lol. Unless you're talking All-Time ranking of course.

SportsFanatic10
01-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Westhead actually took over part way into the season when he won his title with the Lakers as well before Riley.

Paul Westhead 1980, Pat Riley 1982, Pat Riley 2006 are the only instances where a coach went on to win a championship after taking over midseason. I just saw the list on NBA TV.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-22-2016, 10:02 PM
"Preparing"? Curry is better than Lebron lol. Unless you're talking All-Time ranking of course.
All-time.

Mcdoh
01-22-2016, 10:04 PM
scapegoat

CHANGO
01-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Some posts here are lolworthy. The timing of the firing was weird, they arguably played one of the best games yesterday against the Clippers in terms of moving the ball and having Kyrie and Love back. Of course that was against a decimated Clippers team, but the ball movement and player movement was good.

I do think Blatt is a great coach, he just didn't had the full key of the castle to work his magic. Listening to David Griffin talk about the firing basically he said Blatt had lost the players trust and management was colliding with him in terms of how to use the complete personal to be efficient. I'm guessing they are talking about Love. Anyways he pointed at the end that he knows Lue have lot of ideas on how to make the team better and involve the players more.

CHANGO
01-22-2016, 10:45 PM
brendan haywood

That's pretty ****ed up, I would be mad if a coach is calling me out but biting his tongue when Lebron is the one making mistakes. As Haywood says, you can lost player's trust pretty fast by doing that.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Lol that's ironic.

It's still Pat Riley though. I don't doubt Lue, but Riley's simply a legend.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lue turns out really good, but it's still Pat Riley.

Yeah I know but its also not like Lue is replacing a great coach either, Riley was replacing the guy who won Magic his first title, but as they also say, big things have small beginnings.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Some posts here are lolworthy. The timing of the firing was weird, they arguably played one of the best games yesterday against the Clippers in terms of moving the ball and having Kyrie and Love back. Of course that was against a decimated Clippers team, but the ball movement and player movement was good.

I do think Blatt is a great coach, he just didn't had the full key of the castle to work his magic. Listening to David Griffin talk about the firing basically he said Blatt had lost the players trust and management was colliding with him in terms of how to use the complete personal to be efficient. I'm guessing they are talking about Love. Anyways he pointed at the end that he knows Lue have lot of ideas on how to make the team better and involve the players more.

He shouldve tried them, sometimes listening to your staff helps you keep your job. He had the same problem Brown did, they just sucked up to Bron.

Love not improving his #'s while Kyrie was out was the biggest fail job I can recall. Seemed to me he kept Love in his same exact role even when Bron wasn't out there and Kyrie was missing. Love should have never dipped as low as he did.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 11:06 PM
That's pretty ****ed up, I would be mad if a coach is calling me out but biting his tongue when Lebron is the one making mistakes. As Haywood says, you can lost player's trust pretty fast by doing that.

Depends on the players really, in Shaq's book he said Brown did the same, only the room wasn't quiet, it was filled with vets questioning why Bron wasn't getting called out, lots of personalities on that team tho, everyone today just bows down to the King. I think this team could use a vet who has been there and done that just to challenge Bron and take him down a peg.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Westhead actually took over part way into the season when he won his title with the Lakers as well before Riley.

Paul Westhead 1980, Pat Riley 1982, Pat Riley 2006 are the only instances where a coach went on to win a championship after taking over midseason. I just saw the list on NBA TV.

Nice factoid, forgot about how Westhead originated, dude was a solid coach (certainly better than Blatt), just couldn't mesh with his main diva star, sounds like Blatt couldn't mesh with ANYONE tho.

CHANGO
01-22-2016, 11:16 PM
He shouldve tried them, sometimes listening to your staff helps you keep your job. He had the same problem Brown did, they just sucked up to Bron.

Love not improving his #'s while Kyrie was out was the biggest fail job I can recall. Seemed to me he kept Love in his same exact role even when Bron wasn't out there and Kyrie was missing. Love should have never dipped as low as he did.

I haven't seen much of the Cavs but yeah, I think that was hard to swallow. Love can't be a decoy on that team, he just can't IDK if that's Blatt's fault or players fault, but having Love playing just standing on the 3pt line is a BIG, BIG liability.

We'll see how they play under Lue.

LOb0
01-23-2016, 12:00 AM
- Blatt tried to call a timeout in a playoff game when they had none and was tackled by Tyronne Lue before he could get it out

- Blatt drew up a play, LeBron basically said WTF no, and Blatt drew up another play in front of the entire team, I'd love a player to do that to Pop.

- Blatt drew up a game winning playoff shot for JR Smith, LeBron was going to be INBOUNDING THE BALL until LeBron said no, LeBron took the shot and won the game.

- Blatt has had several reports of not holding players accountable for mistakes

- Blatt would randomly not play players after playing them in the regular rotation and give no explanation

- Several reports of the players simply not respecting him and not listening

More-Than-Most
01-23-2016, 12:18 AM

lol pretty much

More-Than-Most
01-23-2016, 12:19 AM
Its only going to get worse... This is what happens when you let a player run a team.

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Just seems pathetic by James. I remember it came up last year with his behavior and being proud to let the media know he changed a play. It was obvious how he felt. Idk why they waited this long, wasn't fair to Blatt. Just do it in the summer

"As the games wore on, opposing players on the floor weren't only watching James constantly wave off plays from the coach – but role players feeling emboldened to disregard the head coach's instructions, too."

"Despite winning 11 of 13 games – losing only to the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs – James had become increasingly vocal in his opposition of Blatt in recent practice sessions and game environments. Within the franchise, it was hard to hear anything else. LeBron James and Rich Paul never had to walk into the GM's office and demand the firing of the coach. All together, they had the capability of making everyone's life hell until the deed was done."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-david-blatt-never-stood-a-chance-with-lebron-james-and-his-camp-035612484.html

Stunner
01-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Column: How David Blatt never stood a chance with LeBron James in Cleveland.

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/690747972246753281

More-Than-Most
01-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Just seems pathetic by James. I remember it came up last year with his behavior and being proud to let the media know he changed a play. It was obvious how he felt. Idk why they waited this long, wasn't fair to Blatt. Just do it in the summer

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-david-blatt-never-stood-a-chance-with-lebron-james-and-his-camp-035612484.html

its 100 percent the continued pressure of winning championships... He thought by having his team that he wanted they would blow through teams but they just arent good enough and its starting to sink in to him and he is probably bitter over the love curry is getting in my opinion.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 01:15 AM

He was proud because he was right, lesser players have done worse and been proven wrong (hello scottie pippen vs Phil Jackson).

Blatt should have been fired a long time ago, I agree with that much, but the (cheap)team was unwilling to do so, especially with Bron backing him. Blatt was hired to build up a lottery team, not a contender and his many mental errors were enough to prove so. I see nothing pathetic about not adhering to negligence, if you're an underachieving coach you SHOULD get called out. Its happened throughout Pat Riley's career. He got his first chance because his 2nd best player noticed the negligence. He got yet another title 2 decades later because his team noticed the ignorance of SVG. It does happen and its not always bad, sometimes teams succeed in spite of their coaches (look at Spo ffs).

Its really not that big of a deal if you understand circumstance, I just figured Cleveland would be cheap enough to ignore their players (not just Bron btw). He was quoted as saying its either him or Love so he clearly understood the issues hes yet to solve but he couldn't augment his system (imo). He was INEPT. I cant believe how many of you are standing up for a guy who was essentially a figurehead, not just that but a guy who was brought in to build a REBUILDING TEAM, NOT a contender.

The issues that came up last year should have been the reason to can him but Cleveland got cheap, I rarely see a new coach get as much leeway as Blatt got, dude was CLEARLY the wrong person for the job yet he got a chance. Its one thing if you try to change things once you failed, but he did everything the same. His in game adjustments were non-existent, he shouldn't get credit for having great players.

flea
01-23-2016, 02:43 AM
He was proud because he was right, lesser players have done worse and been proven wrong (hello scottie pippen vs Phil Jackson).

Blatt should have been fired a long time ago, I agree with that much, but the (cheap)team was unwilling to do so, especially with Bron backing him. Blatt was hired to build up a lottery team, not a contender and his many mental errors were enough to prove so. I see nothing pathetic about not adhering to negligence, if you're an underachieving coach you SHOULD get called out. Its happened throughout Pat Riley's career. He got his first chance because his 2nd best player noticed the negligence. He got yet another title 2 decades later because his team noticed the ignorance of SVG. It does happen and its not always bad, sometimes teams succeed in spite of their coaches (look at Spo ffs).

Its really not that big of a deal if you understand circumstance, I just figured Cleveland would be cheap enough to ignore their players (not just Bron btw). He was quoted as saying its either him or Love so he clearly understood the issues hes yet to solve but he couldn't augment his system (imo). He was INEPT. I cant believe how many of you are standing up for a guy who was essentially a figurehead, not just that but a guy who was brought in to build a REBUILDING TEAM, NOT a contender.

The issues that came up last year should have been the reason to can him but Cleveland got cheap, I rarely see a new coach get as much leeway as Blatt got, dude was CLEARLY the wrong person for the job yet he got a chance. Its one thing if you try to change things once you failed, but he did everything the same. His in game adjustments were non-existent, he shouldn't get credit for having great players.

From SVG being a bad coach to Blatt being a bad coach, those heels have dug in. You're entitled to believe a head coach in a league whose teams all basically run the same offenses and defenses is super impactful, and you're entitled to believe these men are bad coaches in spite of the evidence to the contrary, but you cannot deny this is yet another black eye on Lebron's petulant way of conducting his career.

He got rid of the guy in charge by throwing a fit basically so he could blame someone for a perceived underachieving couple of years. He thought he would be gifted titles in his return to Cleveland, and if Stern were still around he very well might have, and it didn't work out that way. Now he sees his team is probably the 4th best in the league, and even though it's the best in his conference it's not good enough.

And there is always someone else to blame. The blame game continues, and I love every minute of it.

IKnowHoops
01-23-2016, 03:17 AM

Oh please, here we go. Lebron has more class than Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Magic, who have all cheated on there wives and got in trouble in various ways whether it be gambling, rape, fighting, scandal or what have you. He has donated millions to kids. Your classless punk blast is ridiculous. The guy wants to win and is good enough off and on the floor to make power moves that other people have never been able to make. Somehow his power personified pisses you off. To me the problem you have with Bron lies within yourself. No one is perfect, but Bron is about as perfect and classy a superstar athlete as your going to find. Is Draymond classier? Is Iggy classier? Your knowledge of sport can't be denied, but your personal vendettas are a joke.

IKnowHoops
01-23-2016, 03:28 AM

Well these guys have to all of a sudden come out of the woodwork to stand up for Blatt so that they can continue there agenda of knocking Bron down and nitpicking dumb s---.

bucketss
01-23-2016, 03:28 AM
Blatt was reluctant to get on LeBron James, Kyrie Irving or Kevin Love during film sessions from the start of his tenure. Lue eventually had to intervene to show instances where a member of the Big 3 needed to be held accountable.

Blatt would frequently call ticky-tack or phantom calls for his go-to players during team scrimmages, which was considered an attempt to get in the good graces of his best players.

Blatt also had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts, freezing in the moment or sometimes drawing up plays for players who weren't in the game, according to players.

Blatt even tried to put Tristan Thompson back into the final game of the Eastern Conference Finals with the Cavaliers leading by 30 points, which was a decision intercepted by James.

Blatt was nearly fired on Dec. 26 following a 29-point loss to the Portland Trail Blazers, but a win over the Phoenix Suns in their next game bought him more time.

via Chris Haynes/Cleveland Plain Dealer

IKnowHoops
01-23-2016, 03:30 AM
From SVG being a bad coach to Blatt being a bad coach, those heels have dug in. You're entitled to believe a head coach in a league whose teams all basically run the same offenses and defenses is super impactful, and you're entitled to believe these men are bad coaches in spite of the evidence to the contrary, but you cannot deny this is yet another black eye on Lebron's petulant way of conducting his career.

He got rid of the guy in charge by throwing a fit basically so he could blame someone for a perceived underachieving couple of years. He thought he would be gifted titles in his return to Cleveland, and if Stern were still around he very well might have, and it didn't work out that way. Now he sees his team is probably the 4th best in the league, and even though it's the best in his conference it's not good enough.

And there is always someone else to blame. The blame game continues, and I love every minute of it.

SMH...or he wants to win and doesn't believe Blatt is the right coach to that end.

5ass
01-23-2016, 03:47 AM
I see no problem with this at all.

tredigs
01-23-2016, 03:52 AM
I see no problem with this at all.

If I'm being honest, neither do I. But, I do think Lebron is a slimy bastard hiding behind the organizational line once again here. "Lebron did not know about this". Bull ****. 100%.

I really just don't like Lebron. I understand he donates millions, that's fantastic.. cool. He makes hundreds of millions and frankly that's probably what his advisors tell him to do. I see his actions when he's in the thick of it though, and he doesn't stand up. He's false.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:09 AM
From SVG being a bad coach to Blatt being a bad coach,
Why wouldn't I believe the opinion of his own players? Is there a reason both Shaq and Zo felt he was out of place when coaching a team with contention aspirations? Maybe hes grown since he lost his last team in Orlando but I never said they were bad. Next time, make sure your rebuttal is rooted in facts, not straws.

those heels have dug in. You're entitled to believe a head coach in a league whose teams all basically run the same offenses and defenses is super impactful, and you're entitled to believe these men are bad coaches in spite of the evidence to the contrary, but you cannot deny this is yet another black eye on Lebron's petulant way of conducting his career.

LOL, what evidence, you're on the wrong track if you think the best coaches have to master X's and O's. Some of the greatest coaches in NBA history weren't tacticians, they tend to focus on getting ego's to mesh, getting everyone to buy in and having the proper balance in spreading out the credit/blame. Im sorry but if you're consistently losing star players trust (among othe players), then you're not that good.

Nice theory but it wasn't just Bron that Blatt lost, it was the ENTIRE TEAM, even down to their GM. His ineptitude was on display in the ****ing playoffs ffs. Hes credited his team for saving his ***, he was a ROOKIE coach who was brought in to coach a lotto team ffs. Cmon man, you cant hate Bron this much to go off so little evidence. SHOW ME PROOF. And I'm pretty sure Bron is aware of his teams current stature, doesn't change a thing. If this were LA or some big market that could afford it, Blatt would've been fired a LONG time ago.

Well yeah, there is ALWAYS a reason for winning and losing, why wouldn't we acknowledge the truth? I love facts as well, excuses can still be valid, hell, just look at our other debate (Which I will eventually get to), you can understand losses.

YAALREADYKNO
01-23-2016, 04:11 AM
But lebron is supposed to be this perfect teammate. Everybody who actually understands the NBA everyone knows lebron had a hand in blatt getting fired

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:26 AM
But lebron is supposed to be this perfect teammate. Everybody who actually understands the NBA everyone knows lebron had a hand in blatt getting fired

WTF, says who? Nobody is PERFECT. Personalities dont always mesh, even if you're the greatest of leaders (like Magic Johnson for example), in Blatts case, he clashed with everyone on the team because he was a rookie who was brought in to coach a ****** team, NOT a contender.

Aren't you a Lakers fan, surely you, of all fanbases, has seen/heard of SEVERAL eras that were handicapped by bad coaching.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:32 AM
For the record, every star center that SVG inherited (Shaq, Zo, Dwight), complained about him. Drummond hasn't yet but maybe hes learned his place. Theres a balance, and its hard to coach every type of ego, its not for everyone.

MonroeFAN
01-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Doesn't matter. It doesn't change their standing.

1st place?

I'm beginning to dislike Lebron a little. His team flat out isn't that good, and neither is he anymore. He replaced wade & bosh with guys who only act like they're good at basketball.

Hopefully Blatt gets a job somewhere so we can see his coaching ability for real.

superwill
01-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Has a team ever went to the finals after firing they're coach this far into the season I can't think of any

ewing
01-23-2016, 06:42 AM
wait are people actually starting to realize that James is a self-central egotistical prima donna?

sammyvine
01-23-2016, 06:53 AM
guys like Steph Curry and Tim Duncan are one of a kind. You don't get many superstars like that now.

ewing
01-23-2016, 06:56 AM
can he opt out this off season? KD is a free agent.

SteBO
01-23-2016, 07:33 AM
1st place?

I'm beginning to dislike Lebron a little. His team flat out isn't that good, and neither is he anymore. He replaced wade & bosh with guys who only act like they're good at basketball.

Hopefully Blatt gets a job somewhere so we can see his coaching ability for real.
I meant league-wide. They're still not nearly as good as GSW, SAS, or maybe even as good as OKC and this move doesn't change that. They "may" very well win the east.

For the record, I like LBJ as a human being overall. Unlike most, I don't treat sports as the cathedral I guarantee a lot of posters here do, and understand this as much a business as anything. But this guy is never satisfied w/ anything that goes on unless it's HIS way w/ HIS homies reaping the benefits. The Blatt stuff doesn't even cover 1/4 of the Cavs' organizational problems, because I'll tell you that LBJ tried the same **** down here in Miami and was told to stfu and play. You guys know the end results. For that reason, he fled. Blatt never stood a chance, and that's the ***** of it. Lue might have some good ideas, but in the end he'll stay out of LeBron's way. Might as well puppet strings to his back.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 09:31 AM
I knew people would want to trash LeBron because of this. That's fine. I'm just glad that the facts are slowly rolling out about Blatt being a terrible coach.

Vince70
01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
That is WAY too big of a move to make mid-season. Is he going to shift their offensive or defensive system on the fly? If so, how in the world is that enough time to implement it? This is hilariously stupid.

It's not like they are bringing in someone from outside of the franchise that doesn't know the roster.

Lue has been the real co-head coach (with Lebron) of the Cavs since the start of the 14-15 season. Do you watch the games and see who takes control in huddles? LeBron and Lue.

Blatt had the title, nothing more.

YAALREADYKNO
01-23-2016, 11:08 AM
WTF, says who? Nobody is PERFECT. Personalities dont always mesh, even if you're the greatest of leaders (like Magic Johnson for example), in Blatts case, he clashed with everyone on the team because he was a rookie who was brought in to coach a ****** team, NOT a contender.

Aren't you a Lakers fan, surely you, of all fanbases, has seen/heard of SEVERAL eras that were handicapped by bad coaching.

Lmao I was being sarcastic because how some folks describe lebron it's as if he's an angel

tredigs
01-23-2016, 11:55 AM
It's not like they are bringing in someone from outside of the franchise that doesn't know the roster.

Lue has been the real co-head coach (with Lebron) of the Cavs since the start of the 14-15 season. Do you watch the games and see who takes control in huddles? LeBron and Lue.

Blatt had the title, nothing more.

Granted. And what does that say about the teams chances for improvement under their "new" head coach?

valade16
01-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Granted. And what does that say about the teams chances for improvement under their "new" head coach?

Exactly. If Blatt did nothing for the Cavs then doesn't that mean this changes nothing?

Vampirate
01-23-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm blaming Gilbert more than Lebron here, it's Gilbert who's basically bending over to whatever Lebron wants.

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Exactly. If Blatt did nothing for the Cavs then doesn't that mean this changes nothing?

Unless LeBron becomes upset about Lue's coaching ways and habits, probably nothing.

TheNumber37
01-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Trip the finals first year as an American coach

Top seed in the east.

Lebron and Co are looking at Warriors and Spurs and wondering why they aren't dominating the east?

They have better coacching and better rosters... I don't see how Ty lou gets them closer to Popp and Kerr

slashsnake
01-23-2016, 01:46 PM
He was a fine choice for a young growing team. Let him learn early when they weren't looking to win now. Obviously that all changed when Lebron and Love/others came over. They couldn't sit there with a coach learning how to call a time out or make an adjustment with a team that had the mindset of winning now.

blahblahyoutoo
01-23-2016, 01:59 PM
damn, lebron has gotten more coaches fired than melo now.
he was so close to getting spo fired too.

blahblahyoutoo
01-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Has a team ever went to the finals after firing they're coach this far into the season I can't think of any

seriously, look at the east.

Stunner
01-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Seems like James would have liked Mark Jackson more than Lue , Cavs FO messes up again when they don't listen to dad.

blahblahyoutoo
01-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I knew people would want to trash LeBron because of this. That's fine. I'm just glad that the facts are slowly rolling out about Blatt being a terrible coach.

was he a terrible x and o's coach, or one that just didn't command respect because he was undermined by an egotistical player?

for clarification, in case you're wondering which egotistical player I'm referring to, it's Mosgov.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 02:10 PM

The latest circumstances of Blatt's firing are revealing that the locker room situation was in complete mayhem. That blowout we suffered against Portland (w/o Lillard) was evidence of that. If a lot of the Cavs problems are mental, then it's not a stretch to say that someone who has the respect and support of the entire locker room could make them improve.

It's not exactly unprecedented either - there were 3 championship winning teams who made a coaching change mid-season.

I think most sane people realize that this is an enormous risk and nothing should really change. Those of us who are insane fans like to believe that things will improve. The possibility is there, however minuscule it may be.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 02:13 PM
was he a terrible x and o's coach, or one that just didn't command respect because he was undermined by an egotistical player?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610300-brendan-haywood-comments-on-david-blatts-firing-lebron-james-and-more

Read that and you'll see he lost respect from a LOT of guys in the locker room because he didn't know how to coach that much talent.

I feel sorry for Blatt... he was brought into Cleveland to help us rebuild. He was hired before LBJ came back and before the Love trade. It's unfortunate he was fired, but... it's sports.

Vinylman
01-23-2016, 02:21 PM

only on PSD...

Blatt is a bad coach and lue is better

because that is why Lue is now the coach... right?

There is a reason Lue has interviewed for a ton of HC jobs and never once landed one...

enjoy the debacle that is Cleveland...

valade16
01-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Here's the thing LeBron, Lue and Cleveland fans have to understand.

Whether you're right or wrong about Blatt, he has been set-up as the scapegoat.

So if things don't improve, that's on Bron and Lue. They've said "Blatt is the problem", so they are now the ones to blame if things don't get better.

slashsnake
01-23-2016, 02:24 PM
only on PSD...

Blatt is a bad coach and lue is better

because that is why Lue is now the coach... right?

There is a reason Lue has interviewed for a ton of HC jobs and never once landed one...

enjoy the debacle that is Cleveland...

I think he said "remains to be seen"... obviously Blatt had major issues in that situation.

TrueFan420
01-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Would love to add Blatt to the Warriors staff. We targeted him as an assistant head coach when Kerr was first hired.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Dave McMenamin tweets:

Tyronn Lue on what he'll do differently than Blatt: "I wouldn't say 'differently,' I would say 'better.'"
11:03am - 23 Jan 2016

Tyronn Lue on his conversation with Kevin Love today: "I'm going to use him more at the elbows"

Lue: "I talked to Bron. I told him, ‘I got to hold you accountable. It starts w/ you first ... then everybody else has got to fall in line'"

Tyronn Lue, when told that the pressure is really on him to win: "Or I'll be next. I know."

Vinylman
01-23-2016, 02:31 PM
I wonder if Blatt still wants the job he turned down in Oakland? The Warriors are likely to lose their top assistant again next off-season when Walton gets hired to run the Kobe-less Lakers :)

No better place for him to go to resurrect his NBA career.

I'm not joking.

they should hire him NOW as a big **** you to Lebron and Gilbert

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Here's the thing LeBron, Lue and Cleveland fans have to understand.

Whether you're right or wrong about Blatt, he has been set-up as the scapegoat.

So if things don't improve, that's on Bron and Lue. They've said "Blatt is the problem", so they are now the ones to blame if things don't get better.

Truth.

Vinylman
01-23-2016, 02:37 PM
"They were top in the East why fire him?"

Anyone who says that is an idiot. You or anyone else could have coached this team to the record they have now. The team looked poorly coached, Kevin Love had no role, an losses to top teams didn't seem to bother Blatt. LeBron was always the one calling guys out saying we need to play better even when they won, Blatt just seemed content with everything.

I'm glad they've learned from the Mike Brown situation that just because your record is good, doesn't mean that your coach is. Its a gutsy move because morons that don't understand the situation will give a ton of backlash.

Its no different then when Mike Brown was fired a year after being coach of the year. Where is he now?

and what differrence is Lue going to make?

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Lue hes already fired. No need to say you'll do better. Show some humility man lol

FOXHOUND
01-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Dave McMenamin tweets:

Tyronn Lue on what he'll do differently than Blatt: "I wouldn't say 'differently,' I would say 'better.'"
11:03am - 23 Jan 2016

Tyronn Lue on his conversation with Kevin Love today: "I'm going to use him more at the elbows"

Lue: "I talked to Bron. I told him, ‘I got to hold you accountable. It starts w/ you first ... then everybody else has got to fall in line'"

Tyronn Lue, when told that the pressure is really on him to win: "Or I'll be next. I know."

Wow, that first tweet says a lot about the environment that was going on. Way to instantly and disrespectfully throw your former head coach under the bus. He's speaking with a lot of confidence, but I think he's going to find that saying is easier than doing...

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Lue hes already fired. No need to say you'll do better. Show some humility man lol

Wow, that first tweet says a lot about the environment that was going on. Way to instantly and disrespectfully throw your former head coach under the bus. He's speaking with a lot of confidence, but I think he's going to find that saying is easier than doing...

Agree with both of these. That was a terrible thing to say...

DaBear
01-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Dumb move that has LeBron written all over it.

That said, they'll still win the weak East, but get pummeled by GS or SA.

LA_Raiders
01-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Lol, they are a joke. Good luck wining a ship with your new coach...

blahblahyoutoo
01-23-2016, 03:40 PM

where have we seen this before.. players that don't think before they speak...

KnicksFan4Years
01-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Dumb move that has LeBron written all over it.

That said, they'll still win the weak East, but get pummeled by GS or SA.

Wait, is he going to get that guy to ghostwrite a public letter when the Cavs fail with Lue?

PurpleLynch
01-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Please,Blatt as assistant of Kerr right now. Cleveland should deserve a good beating if they reach the Finals,with him laughing from Oakland bench. I'm not against Cleveland nor his fans,but that organization needs a lesson on how to treat one of the best coach of bball in Europe.

Darc Mind
01-23-2016, 04:03 PM
This type of stuff makes me respect the Spurs organization even more. That team would throw you in the trash if you ever tried to pull this type of **** off. And im a Heat fan. No player should be allowed to do this, no matter what. Dosent matter how big of a star you are, if I owned the team id tell you to take a hike. Players should never be allowed to abuse their stardom and promote a coaching change to suit them.

FOXHOUND
01-23-2016, 04:04 PM
where have we seen this before.. players that don't think before they speak...

Haha, inmates are running the asylum.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Maybe he'll motivate the troups better now that everyone can bypass the lameduck coach. He definitely won't have to worry about Blatt nearly throwing away games anymore.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Unless LeBron becomes upset about Lue's coaching ways and habits, probably nothing.why would he tho? He's put up with bad coaches before, this is the guy the entire team was respecting anyways, the guy Bron trusts. The entire team will get a boost out of this.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:19 PM

for clarification, in case you're wondering which egotistical player I'm referring to, it's Mosgov.
Hate to burst your bubble but managing egos is a BIG part of the job and Blatt lost the respect of EVERYONE(not just Mozzy lol likely the only guy who redirected him). Trust is earned, not given by title or rank. That he was a poor tactician only compounded his negligence because it's hard to respect someone who nearly costs his team playoff games ffs

Chronz
01-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Please,Blatt as assistant of Kerr right now. Cleveland should deserve a good beating if they reach the Finals,with him laughing from Oakland bench. I'm not against Cleveland nor his fans,but that organization needs a lesson on how to treat one of the best coach of bball in Europe.
Dude they gave him a chance even tho he was never brought in to coach a contender and he failed at his job. Both sides can and will move on

slashsnake
01-23-2016, 04:40 PM
This type of stuff makes me respect the Spurs organization even more. That team would throw you in the trash if you ever tried to pull this type of **** off. And im a Heat fan. No player should be allowed to do this, no matter what. Dosent matter how big of a star you are, if I owned the team id tell you to take a hike. Players should never be allowed to abuse their stardom and promote a coaching change to suit them.

So when Doug Collins drew up the final shot in the huddle and Jordan saw he wasn't taking the shot and told Doug right in front of the entire team and staff to "F*$K off" and went out and hit the shot in Ehlo's face, the Bulls should have kept Collins instead of hiring Phil Jackson a month later and sent MJ packing?

CHANGO
01-23-2016, 05:18 PM
via Chris Haynes/Cleveland Plain Dealer

If that's true, then that firing came too late.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Haha, inmates are running the asylum.
It's a great problem to have tho, majority of the league would want these inmates running their asylum

Chronz
01-23-2016, 05:42 PM
You gotta be joking... You would rather pass on contention? Do you know how many titles you would have to take away if you had franchises who didn't succumb to greatness?

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 05:55 PM
lol, Chronz' the LeBron apologist knows no bounds.

FOXHOUND
01-23-2016, 05:59 PM
It's a great problem to have tho, majority of the league would want these inmates running their asylum

I guess, but teams like that don't win anything.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 06:04 PM

On the contrary. He's dropping truth and anti-Lebronists are struggling to come up with an adequate argument against his points.

All the facts are rolling out and they're really revealing how bad of a job Blatt was doing here, no matter how much of a chance he stood in the first place. Of course, Blatt can have success in his future, but it wasn't headed in that direction with this team.

Sadds The Gr8
01-23-2016, 06:09 PM
LeBron is definitely a dickbag but why is everyone assuming Blatt is great? Everything he's shown in the nba proves he's not, at this point at least.

If the players hated him, then I don't see how ppl can say this is the wrong move.

CHANGO
01-23-2016, 06:10 PM
On the contrary. He's dropping truth and anti-Lebronists are struggling to come up with an adequate argument against his points.

All the facts are rolling out and they're really revealing how bad of a job Blatt was doing here, no matter how much of a chance he stood in the first place. Of course, Blatt can have success in his future, but it wasn't headed in that direction with this team.

True ****, I think he is a good coach, but with those reports coming out about he basically sucking the star players and punishing the rest, that's hard to swallow. Everyone here just looking at ways to criticize Lebron, but if they were in Lebron's place, I'm sure they would do the same ****.

If you want to win, you can't win with players not respecting the coach, not listening to him and not getting motivated.

CHANGO
01-23-2016, 06:11 PM
And to those asking what changes will be made with Lue, well, if the reports are true, I'm sure you will see a BIG change on that Cavs team in terms of motivation and effort. The rest is up to Lue.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 06:22 PM
I'll take Woj's word over the Klutch Sports propaganda leaks.

Before David Blatt ever conducted his first training camp practice in September 2014, Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James and his agent, Rich Paul, had the coach's succession plan in place: Mark Jackson.

To become the preferred candidate of the most powerful player in the NBA – and de facto Cavaliers general manager – Jackson understood what he needed to do: Bring on James' and Paul's Klutch Sports agency as his representation, and prepare to deliver those commission fees into the King's coffers. Blatt never had a chance. He never knew what hit him.

From the beginning, the Klutch Sports campaign to puncture Blatt's standing as head coach had been as relentless as it was ruthless. James is one of the great leaders in pro sports, and he directed the Cavaliers how he wanted them: in complete defiance of Blatt.

Finally, James' camp had its way on Friday, the Cavaliers firing the coach of the defending Eastern Conference champions and runaway No. 1 seed. Over a season and a half on the job, associate head coach Tyronn Lue fought hard to stay loyal to Blatt, balancing that line of hearing out James' and Paul's barrages on Blatt and yet still urging them to give the coach a chance.
In the end, here was the problem for Klutch Sports' original plan: Cleveland refused to hire Jackson. General manager David Griffin is too well-connected in the NBA, too knowledgeable of the truths inside Jackson's Warriors regime to let that happen. So much of Griffin's job has been to manage the constant demands of James' camp and the volatility of owner Dan Gilbert. As much as anything, his job has been to bridge the chaos above and below him.

Once James' camp realized that Jackson would never be considered as coach – nor would Lue leave his representation to join Klutch Sports agency, despite overtures – Lue became a compromise choice for James' group, sources said. They started pushing for Lue to replace Blatt last season, and grew louder in those calls in recent days and weeks.

Gilbert made Lue the league's highest-paid assistant coach at $2 million-plus a year, forever considering him the head-coach-in-waiting should Blatt need to go. Ultimately, Blatt had little staying power with the Cavaliers, because James had turned Blatt's removal into an inevitability. As the games wore on, opposing players on the floor weren't only watching James constantly wave off plays from the coach – but role players feeling emboldened to disregard the head coach's instructions, too.

James had the Cavaliers existing in open rebellion for more than a season now, with no Pat Riley in the organizational shadows to scare everyone into compliance.

Despite winning 11 of 13 games – losing only to the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs – James had become increasingly vocal in his opposition of Blatt in recent practice sessions and game environments. Within the franchise, it was hard to hear anything else. LeBron James and Rich Paul never had to walk into the GM's office and demand the firing of the coach. All together, they had the capability of making everyone's life hell until the deed was done.

Blatt made mistakes in his transition to the NBA, struggled sometimes to gather the nuances of a complex game of matchups and situations. He had coached in the Euroleague for two decades, and had to sell himself on a new coaching staff, a new roster and the generation's best player.

For all the agent competitors complaining over Klutch Sports' control in Cleveland, it is the kind of leverage no agent would ever reject over an NBA franchise. Outside of his own maximum contract, James and Klutch Sports could turn the Cavaliers into one of the loose slot machines across the street in Gilbert's casinos. It worked with client Tristan Thompson, whom they leveraged into a five-year, $82 million contract. Rival agents find themselves spending more time with clients who end up with the Cavaliers, if only because Rich Paul and his associates work to pilfer players for Klutch Sports, promising the power of James' influence in contract talks with the team.

So here's what's coming now: the trickle of stories on Blatt's incompetence, the fact that no one respected him, and maybe most of all, that James had nothing to do with his firing. For all the fairytales sold on James' return to Cleveland, this was forever about business – the kind of business they couldn't do within Riley's organization, nor Erik Spoelstra's locker room.

LeBron James runs the Cleveland organization, a choice Dan Gilbert made upon the superstar's return to Northeast Ohio. There's no shame there. Nothing that needs an apology out of him. He's constructed a way to maximize his basketball and business interests on Gilbert's dime, and it is possible that James will get all that and win a championship, too.

Once the Cavaliers decided to fire Blatt on Friday, they offered Lue a three-year deal. He considered taking the job on an interim basis for the rest of the season, betting on himself, but ultimately decided on a three-year, $9.5 million contract, sources told Yahoo Sports. This is still the opportunity of a lifetime, a fabulous array of talent that gives a young coach the chance to chase championships.

Only now, Ty Lue gets to try and do something that LeBron James hadn't wanted in his final season in Miami, nor his first year and a half back in Cleveland: to be coached. They pushed David Blatt out, and found a compromise candidate. No commission fees for Klutch Sports on Ty Lue, leaving him with no choice but to win big and win now.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 06:27 PM
LeBron's ego wouldn't let him give Blatt a chance from day 1. Just like he had no intention of having a young superstar grow next to him as he aged he had no intention of having a coach he couldn't handpick. LeBron undermined the coach from day 1 and his minions followed suit. He facilitated a lame duck situation for Blatt before he even moved into his office.

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 06:40 PM
why would he tho? He's put up with bad coaches before, this is the guy the entire team was respecting anyways, the guy Bron trusts. The entire team will get a boost out of this.

Right now yes. Lue has already said he will be getting on him and not letting him get away with stuff. Lebron likes to do his own thing a lot of times, which is great for him. But it sets a poor example, and its a big reason why Blatt lost the lockerroom. Other guys followed suit on waiving off stuff Blatt instructed. (Per Woj btw)

Lue is the guy now, but we'll see how it works out. They'll get an immediate boost like most teams do after a coaching change. Longterm could be a different story

Chronz
01-23-2016, 06:42 PM
I guess, but teams like that don't win anything.

Says who? 80's Lakers (arguably the 70's too) suggest otherwise, hell you oculd argue the entire 06 HEAT team gave up on SVG because they wanted Riley back.

So what constitutes as power over an organization? Like when players threaten retirement if they trade away a teammate or when a player threatens to demand a trade if a teammate is jettisoned, is that really so much more different than wanting a coaching change?

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 06:54 PM
So here's what's coming now: the trickle of stories on Blatt's incompetence, the fact that no one respected him, and maybe most of all, that James had nothing to do with his firing. For all the fairytales sold on James' return to Cleveland, this was forever about business – the kind of business they couldn't do within Riley's organization, nor Erik Spoelstra's locker room.

I'll take Brendan Haywood's word on Blatt's incompetence than any reporter/analyst out there.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Right now yes. Lue has already said he will be getting on him and not letting him get away with stuff.
Difference is, he told that to Bron in DAY1 thats the kind of coaching that can command respect, as opposed to being 1 1/2 years into a job and failing. Lue is already close to the players and has already saved them from negligent coaching of his superior, they have alot more reason to play for him than anyone else at this point.

Lebron likes to do his own thing a lot of times, which is great for him. But it sets a poor example, and its a big reason why Blatt lost the lockerroom. Other guys followed suit on waiving off stuff Blatt instructed. (Per Woj btw)
Per woj? LOL guys have been waiving off plays (even from coaches they LOVE) since the dawn of the NBA, why would I care about **** like that? What is BY FAR the biggest reason he lost the locker room was because he couldn't manage his players. Its about personalities meshing, sometimes that doesn't happen, players and coaches alike. Like put Shaq on this team(an old Cleveland one) and instead of a quiet film session where everyone knows Blatt is ignoring Bron's lapses, Shaq brings that **** up in session and clamps down on it. Thats what people talk about when they talk about chemistry, Lue will at least help that chemistry given their connection.

Lue is the guy now, but we'll see how it works out. They'll get an immediate boost like most teams do after a coaching change. Longterm could be a different story
I dont see it changing all that much, coaches rarely have that sort of impact outside of the few elite, whats best is that there is someone in charge that the TEAM respects. Blatt failing was BY AND large a result of his ineptitude with this group. Too many questions, not enough answers, all I know is that this isn't a damning move, if anything its comes too late. I would've made it a LONG time ago but I understand its hard to pay 3 head coaches for 2-3 years.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Oh look, another empty calorie of a post. lay off the carbs bro

Chronz
01-23-2016, 07:01 PM
True ****, I think he is a good coach, but with those reports coming out about he basically sucking the star players and punishing the rest, that's hard to swallow. Everyone here just looking at ways to criticize Lebron, but if they were in Lebron's place, I'm sure they would do the same ****.

If you want to win, you can't win with players not respecting the coach, not listening to him and not getting motivated.

I dont know why we have to have a villain if a union just doesn't work, why cant it just be a peaceful termination, a sign that both sides needed to go in separate directions. He quite clearly was the wrong person for the job considering he was brought in to coach a lotto squad, not a contender.

His style CAN work, like Phil Jackson always had a whipping boy who got most of the ****, he gave favorable treatment to Pip+MJ and when MJ retired it became Kukoc (iirc) instead of Grant (as Grant became the #2), that of course was PJ and Im sure there alot more nuance to favoring players that go beyond not holding them accountable, making practice easier etc... Im sure theres alot we dont know. All we should care about is that it didn't work. Coaches always protect each other but their arguments tend to ignore NBA history.

Like look at SVG who is "disgusted", Im sure he got flashbacks from those years when all his star bigmen quit on him. Blatt learning how to be an NBA coach on a team this talented was a HUGE mistake given his system didn't mesh.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Oh look, another empty calorie of a post. lay off the carbs bro

The Woj article spoke to my thoughts pretty nicely.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I dont know why we have to have a villain if a union just doesn't work, why cant it just be a peaceful termination, a sign that both sides needed to go in separate directions. He quite clearly was the wrong person for the job considering he was brought in to coach a lotto squad, not a contender.

His style CAN work, like Phil Jackson always had a whipping boy who got most of the ****, he gave favorable treatment to Pip+MJ and when MJ retired it became Kukoc (iirc) instead of Grant (as Grant became the #2), that of course was PJ and Im sure there alot more nuance to favoring players that go beyond not holding them accountable, making practice easier etc... Im sure theres alot we dont know. All we should care about is that it didn't work. Coaches always protect each other but their arguments tend to ignore NBA history.

Like look at SVG who is "disgusted", Im sure he got flashbacks from those years when all his star bigmen quit on him. Blatt learning how to be an NBA coach on a team this talented was a HUGE mistake given his system didn't mesh.

It didn't work because LeBron sabotaged it before it even started. It's not viewed as a peaceful termination because that is not what it was - it was a coup d'etat orchestrated by the LeBron cartel.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 07:05 PM
I'll take Brendan Haywood's word on Blatt's incompetence than any reporter/analyst out there.
LOL, right. Trust some guy from the outside about the inner goings of a team or the guy who saw firsthand how Blatt bit his tongue????? ..... hmmmm , thats a really tough decision man.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 07:08 PM
And every coach plays favorites. Popovich openly states that he uses Tony Parker as his whipping boy and let's other guys off the hook. Thibs used to use Rose as such and even said he would yell at Rose sometimes when someone else ****ed up in practice. It's a necessary evil in managing egos and personalities.

D-Leethal
01-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Haywood's comments only prove Woj's words about LeBron sabotaging Blatt before he even ran a training camp to be even more true. Blatt stood no chance against the LeBron cartel, he knew LeBron could get rid of him with a snap of his finger, and Blatt folded in that environment like anyone on the wrong side of LeBron's camp in that situation would have.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 07:14 PM
It didn't work because LeBron sabotaged it before it even started. It's not viewed as a peaceful termination because that is not what it was - it was a coup d'etat orchestrated by the LeBron cartel.

Bron didn't force Blatt to make all the mistakes hes made, I can understand Bron not wanting to spend the last portion of his prime with a rookie coach but I disagree that he didn't at least give it a shot. Im pretty sure
he could've made Blatts life alot harder. Maybe some day Blatt will divulge his side of the story but so long as hes saying James was coachable but his respect was hard to earn, it just sounds like a bad pairing that didn't work out. Spare me the woj hate

FOXHOUND
01-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Says who? 80's Lakers (arguably the 70's too) suggest otherwise, hell you oculd argue the entire 06 HEAT team gave up on SVG because they wanted Riley back.

So what constitutes as power over an organization? Like when players threaten retirement if they trade away a teammate or when a player threatens to demand a trade if a teammate is jettisoned, is that really so much more different than wanting a coaching change?

Yeah, I guess if Lue turns out to be the next Pat Riley those comparisons will be more accurate. The Cavs are not winning anything this year.

For those two situations, there's tons where it leads to nothing but teams being blown up.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Haywood's comments only prove Woj's words about LeBron sabotaging Blatt before he even ran a training camp to be even more true. Blatt stood no chance against the LeBron cartel, he knew LeBron could get rid of him with a snap of his finger, and
What? Seriously, what? Please connect the dots for me and pretend Im 12, how did Bron force Blatt to do any of that? If James could get rid of Blatt with a "snap of his finger" then why did it take him so long? I thought you said he sabotaged it from the start yet it took him this week, in the middle of the season, to finally see Blatt should be gone? So did he give him a try or didn't he?

Blatt folded in that environment like anyone on the wrong side of LeBron's camp in that situation would
have.
Definitely untrue, thats Blatt's own lack of conviction.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Haywood's comments only prove Woj's words about LeBron sabotaging Blatt before he even ran a training camp to be even more true. Blatt stood no chance against the LeBron cartel, he knew LeBron could get rid of him with a snap of his finger, and Blatt folded in that environment like anyone on the wrong side of LeBron's camp in that situation would have.

Lol wow. The lengths people go to to slam Bron. Blatt's incompetence is no one's fault but his own.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
And every coach plays favorites. Popovich openly states that he uses Tony Parker as his whipping boy and let's other guys off the hook. Thibs used to use Rose as such and even said he would yell at Rose sometimes when someone else ****ed up in practice. It's a necessary evil in managing egos and personalities.

Please, Pop is notorious for getting on Timmay from day 1. Playing favorites is one thing, whipping boys are one thing, but ignoring a players mistakes because hes the star isn't helping anyone, its a lack of coaching. You can bet your *** Pop would get on ANYONE if they ****ed up.

kobe4thewinbang
01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Sometimes things don't work out, but LeBron needs a coach that runs the show. Only coach I can think of is Popovich and Jackson, who said Kobe was uncoachable but still helped him win five titles and almost six (other series vs Celtics). It makes sense though. Hopefully LeBron wins a title for Cleveland, but if he wants Mark Jackson (why?), he'll get him next season if they lose. I can't see LeBron leaving Cavs again, as it would destroy his reputation.

MTar786
01-23-2016, 09:08 PM
firing blatt wont change much. they need to trade love asap. thats what they should have done to begin with

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Everyone's got their own opinions on this. .. to sum mine up:

1.Blatt probably wasn't the right guy for the job, should have just been let go in the summer. Start fresh...

2. Lebron conducted himself in a way that was pretty classless, and not how a leader should. Especially publicly and in front of his teammates who follow his lead..

Chronz
01-23-2016, 09:26 PM
You can call Bron (and only Bron if you really want to hate the guy) a coach killer, plenty of greats were/are, but you cant tell me it wasn't for the best of the team or that Blatt somehow did a great job and deserved better.

kdspurman
01-23-2016, 09:39 PM
You can call Bron (and only Bron if you really want to hate the guy) a coach killer, plenty of greats were/are, but you cant tell me it wasn't for the best of the team or that Blatt somehow did a great job and deserved better.

It probably will be better for the team. I just don't like the way lebron went about handling it is all.

Vee-Rex
01-23-2016, 11:00 PM

1.Blatt probably wasn't the right guy for the job, should have just been let go in the summer. Start fresh...

2. Lebron conducted himself in a way that was pretty classless, and not how a leader should. Especially publicly and in front of his teammates who follow his lead..

My thoughts mirror yours.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 11:06 PM
It probably will be better for the team. I just don't like the way lebron went about handling it is all.

I remember our convo. I dont really see how else Bron could have handled it if he was the wrong guy for the job. IMO he should've handled it worse but his public backing of him only gave Cleveland more reason to wait it out. I guess he couldn't just say Im leaving if you dont get rid of this lame duck coach ala Magic. I like the way Stan got fired by Miami early in the year because the team did not pump him up.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 11:12 PM
My thoughts mirror yours.

Leadership doesn't have to be classy man. Magic Johnson is arguably the greatest leader of all-time and he did MUCH worse than this. Bron isn't physically assaulting anyone like some other leaders either.

tredigs
01-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Cavs fans currently booing their home team.

jerellh528
01-23-2016, 11:22 PM
I don't know much about blatt, why was he fired? Everything I've read in him says he's a great coach. On one site it even said he's a top 5 basketball coach in the world.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 11:23 PM
And honestly, why cite his coaching credentials outside the NBA as a sign of his stature? Its like putting the euro league champions on par with NBA champs, TOTALLY different level guys.

tredigs
01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm so in love with the fact that the Cavs are openly being sodomized on National TV right now. Rose shaking 'Bron in ISO like he was standing still in the 3rd quarter was the icing.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Cavs fans currently booing their home team.

Dude, Im avoiding the game thread for a reason. Im currently at half time (jk bro, I dont really care)

I don't know much about blatt, why was he fired? Everything I've read in him says he's a great coach. On one site it even said he's a top 5 basketball coach in the world.

LMFAO. For real? Plz link me, I need a good laugh.

Chronz
01-23-2016, 11:40 PM
Can we keep track of how many elbow touches Love gets, want to see if Lue is about his ****.

Love is currently at 3.8 elbow touches per game, 2.9 last year. At his best in Minny, he was 2nd in the league at 11.6.

cubbie92
01-24-2016, 08:47 AM

This post probably sums it up best; Blatt was in over his head with this roster but Lebron clearly never wanted him there and didn't exactly hide it.

lakerfan85
01-24-2016, 11:37 AM
The Cavs players aren't in shape, that's why they're losing..

valade16
01-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Time to fire Lue now?

Ball_Out
01-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Dude, Im avoiding the game thread for a reason. Im currently at half time (jk bro, I dont really care)

LMFAO. For real? Plz link me, I need a good laugh.

Blatt was a GREAT coach overseas, one of the best basketball minds in the game. Americans laugh, but had he went to a team that didn't have a Lebron type on it, his story would be much different. Coupled with the fact that Cleveland is a terrible organization and none of the players have an ounce of leadership in their bodies.

Scoots
01-24-2016, 02:01 PM
No coach can overcome a superstar who doesn't want to play for them.

Blatt needs to spend some time being an NBA assistant now.