PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NBA All-Star Starters

NYKnickFanatic
01-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is an All-Star for the 18th time while Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green is notably not among the West's starting five.

Fans overwhelmingly chose Bryant to be an All-Star starter, voting for him almost 1.9 million times. Assuming he plays, Bryant would be the fourth player to start an All-Star Game at 37 years or older, joining Michael Jordan, John Havlicek and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Bryant has been an All-Star every season since 1998, excluding only the canceled 1999 All-Star Game.

Other starters for the Western Conference team are Kawhi Leonard of the San Antonio Spurs, Stephen Curry of the Warriors and Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

The Eastern Conference starters are Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, Indiana Pacers forward Paul George, New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony, Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry.

West:
Curry
Westbrook
Kobe
Kawhi
Durant

East:
Lowry
Wade
LeBron
Melo
George

Raptors fans went to work.

ChI_ShIzzLe
01-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Jimmy Butler not starting is a travesty

NYKnickFanatic
01-21-2016, 08:35 PM

Did you vote? Every vote counts.

ChI_ShIzzLe
01-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Yup

ChI_ShIzzLe
01-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Fan voting is a straight up popularity contest. Coaches should determine the starters with fan votes guaranteeing the 5 players in each conference an all-star berth.

bucketss
01-21-2016, 08:43 PM
lowry gets in there late two years in a row :dance: #clutch

kdspurman
01-21-2016, 08:45 PM
So glad Kawhi got voted in. Awesome

tredigs
01-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Hahah that is some serious small-ball All Star lineups. The closest we have to a big on either team are tweener SF/PF's. I'm disappointed Draymond got edged out, but at least it was by Kawhi (again). You just have to live with the Kobe pick. That's what the fans wanted. Anyway, not as if the coaches won't pick Draymond/Jimmy Butler, CP3 etc for the team. And now more than ever (with these 50K at a time twitter ''retweet'' votes from pop stars), that's just as important a distinction.

LOb0
01-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah Melo over Jimmy is a joke.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Kobe, Melo, and Wade have NO place anywhere close to an All Star starter? What a shame. people still just putting in the same ones from 12 years ago.

Here's an idea put Michael Jordan on the ballot. That I'd actually go for.

FriedTofuz
01-21-2016, 08:56 PM
melo over drummond? what a joke

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 08:59 PM
People complaining need to realize it is the all-star game for the fans. Who cares? The players will treat it as a dunk/3pt contest until the 4th quarter. I want to see Kobe out there.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 09:00 PM
melo over drummond? what a joke

kobe over Green
melo over Drummond
wade over Jimmy

All a joke.

Also DeRozan should be starting somehow. He's averaging like 23 in the East on a good % and all he does is drive to the rim and dunk.

FraziersKnicks
01-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Yeah Melo over Jimmy is a joke.

Melo's a lot more deserving than Wade. Wade over Butler is a joke. Anyway Butler was listed as a guard, so even if he had more votes than Melo he wouldn't have made it over him.

Let's not act like Melo is completely underserving. The guy has put up 22/8/4 and helped the Knicks exceed expectations. He deserves to be an All-Star whether he's starting or not.

Name another front court player in the East more deserving than him who didn't make it... Paul Millsap? Maybe. But no Hawks player is gonna win a fan vote. Andre Drummond? Possibly. But a 7 foot center with a TS% under 50? No thanks.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 09:02 PM
People complaining need to realize it is the all-star game for the fans. Who cares? The players will treat it as a dunk/3pt contest until the 4th quarter. I want to see Kobe out there.

Used to be an actual game that was competitive from the tip. Really meant something back then. Also You've seen kobe in the game what? 50 times. They'll be voting for him 20 years from now and getting him in . It's ridiculous. He's not anything close to an all star. I'm for rewarding good play.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2016, 09:17 PM
I find it really weird that there are no centers OR power forward.. I mean.. Paul George IS playing PF this year, but he's playing stretch-4/SF... and he's been a SF/SG his entire career.

It goes to show how the game has gone small.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Used to be an actual game that was competitive from the tip. Really meant something back then. Also You've seen kobe in the game what? 50 times. They'll be voting for him 20 years from now and getting him in . It's ridiculous. He's not anything close to an all star. I'm for rewarding good play.

I agree that fans should want to reward good play, but Knicksorbust has a point: this is a game for the fans.

They've been voting Kobe in before he deserve to be in, and now they are voting him in after he no longer deserves it. It is what its. It's a game for the fans. The All-NBA teams mean more in terms of legacy.

That said... Magic did get in when he didn't even play a game, and Kareem was a FOURTH C on the team in 89 when other positions were under represented and other players more deserving in terms of level of play, and the same could have been said in 88, though it was really the East that was too stocked with deserving C's that year.

Still.... older vets have been getting the nod ahead of young bucks for a while, especially when they were iconic players like Kareem, Jordan, Magic and now Kobe.

Meth
01-21-2016, 09:29 PM
hahahaha is Luke Walton really on track to coach this game? If so then that'd be awesome.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-21-2016, 09:31 PM
:laugh: Zaza Pachullia with more votes than Green.

Jeffy25
01-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Kobe was the top vote getter, which is further proof that the ASG is a complete waste of everyone's time and the NBA can be a joke.

I love the sport of basketball. I love it.

I hate that fans can be like this though. And then people will cite an AS appearance as further accolades....when fans will give a guy the nod like this for his career (same thing happened with Jeter in baseball and I was equally annoyed then).

Somebody is getting snubbed for maybe their first and only all-star appearance, or a player is going to be one short, because fans think Kobe deserves an all-time nod.

This is why people don't care and don't watch the All Star game (4 million less viewers than the MLB All-Star game for example - while the Finals are outviewed vs the World Series).

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Dirk is putting up a nice season at 18 and 7 and leading the Mavs.

Zaza is also averaging about 12 and 12 in limited minutes and passes great. He's a good player.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 09:51 PM
I'll be honest I didn't watch it at all last season didn't even turn it to it. And Im the biggest BBAll fan ever.

I always watched the good games in the 80's and 90's.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Kevin Love should probably be there. He's averaging 16 and 11 on the best team in the East. Also it would be hard to play on the same team with a hog like lebrat. Even Barkely and Shaq said that.

Jeffy25
01-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Kevin Love should probably be there. He's averaging 16 and 11 on the best team in the East. Also it would be hard to play on the same team with a hog like lebrat. Even Barkely and Shaq said that.
I know you are about to be banned any way, but I gotta respond to this.

LeBron has the 24th best assist percentage in the history of the game between Cassell and Avery Johnson and the best ever among anyone that wasn't a point guard.

And he is 7th best among active players, higher than Tony Parker

How is that for a ball hog?

WaDe03
01-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Everyone is mad lol. Especially TodWilkinson/BuckWilliams/ShawnKemp. All star game is for the fans if Kobe makes all NBA then you can be mad but these aren't the all NBA teams they're all star teas that they play for the fans. Also as many have said Kobe is the Jordan of this generation he's obviously going to get voted in here. Too many people cry about him making it and for some reason don't understand this is his send off and I guarantee you every player wants him in the game. This game isn't about advanced stats and analytics.

Redrum187
01-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I feel bad for Jimmy Butler... Heat fans probably think it's justifiable.

Iron24th
01-21-2016, 10:33 PM
Everyone is mad lol. Especially TodWilkinson/BuckWilliams/ShawnKemp. All star game is for the fans if Kobe makes all NBA then you can be mad but these aren't the all NBA teams they're all star teas that they play for the fans. Also as many have said Kobe is the Jordan of this generation he's obviously going to get voted in here. Too many people cry about him making it and for some reason don't understand this is his send off and I guarantee you every player wants him in the game. This game isn't about advanced stats and analytics.

Thank you, someone got it.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-21-2016, 10:34 PM
^^ Don't act like Melo should be a starter. If your so devastated about Butler, vote more next time.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Kawhi Leonard is starting to rack up accolades.

b_russ
01-21-2016, 10:49 PM
I used to get butt-hurt about the All-Star game until I came to peace that it is a popularity contest. Kobe, with his farewell tour, is the most popular player in the league currently, despite what he has or hasn't done on the court. There a bunch of others that got a ton of votes that I rolled my eyes at, but then I remember who voting and I just shrug it off.

WaDe03
01-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Thank you, someone got it.

I don't understand why people get so worked up over this lol. Get mad at all NBA teams if the player you root for is deserving of a spot on them.

Teeboy1487
01-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Jimmy Butler should start over Wade imo. Love Kobe as a player for my whole life but he does not belong anywhere near the ASG. However, I'm happy he will be there to be honored for his last season. So happy Lowry getting the love he deserves.

mjt20mik
01-21-2016, 11:23 PM
More interested in the coaches decisions.

IMHO the following need to make it:

G: Wall
G: Butler
F: Bosh
F: Milsap
F: Drummond
W: Thomas
W: DeRozan

numba1CHANGsta
01-21-2016, 11:31 PM
Ok I get why Kobe got voted in, it's his last season in the NBA and it is a popularity contest (sorry Green) BUT why in the heck is Wade and Melo starting over Butler and DeRozen??? Last time I checked Wade and Melo aren't retiring, so why do people vote for these old has beens over two players who are flat out balling right now?

dalton749
01-21-2016, 11:57 PM
They should let coaches make all the selections, but let fans choose teams.
Everyone goes into a pool, and somehow fans get to choose the team they want to see play together.
That'd be a lot more interesting to me, and probably a lot of other people who are obsessed with the idea of trades.
Right before the trade deadline you get to see how your player and the guy who is on the block play together.

goingfor28
01-22-2016, 12:37 AM
Kobe starting is a joke. As a reserve would've also been a joke. Only way Kobe should be at the Allstar game this year is if he was forced to purchase a ticket.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 12:38 AM
They should let coaches make all the selections, but let fans choose teams.
Everyone goes into a pool, and somehow fans get to choose the team they want to see play together.
That'd be a lot more interesting to me, and probably a lot of other people who are obsessed with the idea of trades.
Right before the trade deadline you get to see how your player and the guy who is on the block play together.

For that one time every 50 years an All Star starter is on the trade block.

lamzoka
01-22-2016, 01:15 AM
#AllStarGameSoBlack. Not a single white player starting. #boycott

Don't mind me I'm just trolling lol

BKLYNpigeon
01-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Since kyrie didn't get voted in, I don't think the coaches will select him for the bench.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 02:36 AM

Not in the neighborhood of Kobe starting though.

SPURSFAN1
01-22-2016, 02:49 AM
I remember debating some terrible fans on who was better between Kawhi and Kyrie. Not anymore lol.

Jayb587
01-22-2016, 03:04 AM
I agree that fans should want to reward good play, but Knicksorbust has a point: this is a game for the fans.

They've been voting Kobe in before he deserve to be in, and now they are voting him in after he no longer deserves it. It is what its. It's a game for the fans. The All-NBA teams mean more in terms of legacy.

That said... Magic did get in when he didn't even play a game, and Kareem was a FOURTH C on the team in 89 when other positions were under represented and other players more deserving in terms of level of play, and the same could have been said in 88, though it was really the East that was too stocked with deserving C's that year.

Still.... older vets have been getting the nod ahead of young bucks for a while, especially when they were iconic players like Kareem, Jordan, Magic and now Kobe.

I like that, Kobe gets in b4 he deserves and now again when he doesn't. Haha. Ppl want to see Kobe so who cares what the haters think.

Kobe I understand but Wade. Who voted for that guy ROFL.

ManningToTyree
01-22-2016, 03:40 AM
Every year people get worked up over the starters cuz x made it over y and then the player they wanted gets picked to the team and plays just as much off the bench. Who gives a **** who starts. If your guy gets completely snubbed then ***** about it. The most popular players will always start. That's how the league wants it

More-Than-Most
01-22-2016, 04:34 AM
Fan voting is a straight up popularity contest. Coaches should determine the starters with fan votes guaranteeing the 5 players in each conference an all-star berth.

No... No they shouldnt... Its a meaningless game... The fans are the ones that watch it and they deserve to have out there who they want to see. If there was a meaning to the game Id agree.

More-Than-Most
01-22-2016, 04:35 AM

This... HOW DARE THE FANS VOTE FOR THE POPULAR PLAYERS who they want to see lol.

More-Than-Most
01-22-2016, 04:37 AM
Rookie/Soph game/Celebrity game/3 point shootout/Skills challenge... Are the things I tune in for... I have not watched an all star game in years and I stopped watching the Dunk contest once they gave it to Nate Robinson and because its so bad anymore... Any mediocre dunk gets a 10.... Lets get some real judges and bring in some all star type players by offering a million dollars to the winner of the dunk contest and BAM you fix the dunk contest

celticsman2009
01-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Since kyrie didn't get voted in, I don't think the coaches will select him for the bench.

Good

D-Leethal
01-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Rookie/Soph game/Celebrity game/3 point shootout/Skills challenge... Are the things I tune in for... I have not watched an all star game in years and I stopped watching the Dunk contest once they gave it to Nate Robinson and because its so bad anymore... Any mediocre dunk gets a 10.... Lets get some real judges and bring in some all star type players by offering a million dollars to the winner of the dunk contest and BAM you fix the dunk contest

You missed out last year then - Zach LaVine had one of the best performances of all time. Old school, no props, no nonsense dunks too.

WaDe03
01-22-2016, 10:51 AM
I like that, Kobe gets in b4 he deserves and now again when he doesn't. Haha. Ppl want to see Kobe so who cares what the haters think.

Kobe I understand but Wade. Who voted for that guy ROFL.

If you can understand Kobe then you should understand Wade as well.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 10:52 AM
You missed out last year then - Zach LaVine had one of the best performances of all time. Old school, no props, no nonsense dunks too.

So good his teammate refuses to compete this year :)

NYKnickFanatic
01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Is LaVine going to participate again? Idk how he will follow up last year.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Wiggins implied that LeVine was going to compete.

72 Wins
01-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Voting process/selection needs a MAJOR overhaul. This has been a joke since Yao was getting voted in when he wasn't even playing.

D-Leethal
01-22-2016, 12:18 PM

Last year he implied the dunks he used were like his B and C dunks and he didn't even have to tap into the best of his repertoire. I am sure he will do it again - one of the best dunk contest dunkers I've ever seen.

Yanks All Day
01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm 100% fine with the picks because the game means nothing. It's for the fans and it doesn't decide HCA in the Finals or anything. If I were basing it on merit, though, my starters would be:

East: Kyle Lowry, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, LeBron James, Andre Drummond

West: Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, DeMarcus Cousins

Center is a position, albeit a dying position. You should have to pick a center. I know it means guys like Carmelo Anthony and Draymond Green (who should be a starter on the currently constructed team) lose out on a traditional starting spot, but if you're going to list center as a position, I believe center should have an All Star spot.

NYKnickFanatic
01-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Last year he implied the dunks he used were like his B and C dunks and he didn't even have to tap into the best of his repertoire. I am sure he will do it again - one of the best dunk contest dunkers I've ever seen.

B, C dunks? Damn, that's scary. Lol

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
All star voting from fans is a joke. Heck look last year my Bucks were like 4th seed playoffs race during the voting and none of the Bucks made it in. Yet 4 Hawks made it in. Now Hawks are all but forgotten. No worries I'm sure once Bucks get new arena we will get to host all star game and gift wrapped a player in.

Bostonjorge
01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Kobe is going to make this all star game special. Every east all star is going to take turns going one on one with Kobe. Kobe will be the MVP of the all star game.

Jayb587
01-22-2016, 02:08 PM
If you can understand Kobe then you should understand Wade as well.

why? wade is not retiring lol.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Kinda wanted to see Draymond start but I can't be mad at my man Kawhi, he's quietly killing it right now.

Lowry is no bueno.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Voting process/selection needs a MAJOR overhaul. This has been a joke since Yao was getting voted in when he wasn't even playing.

Same with Grant Hill being injured all season and first game back would be All Star game cause he was voted in as a starter so Glenn Robinson got snubbed a few times. Back then the east was loaded with SF as in Hill, Pippen, Rice, Mashburn, Robinson, Howard. Might of been some other SF's as well but probably forgetting some names.

still1ballin
01-22-2016, 02:29 PM
LOL at people complaining at Kobe. Are you surprised? He isn't gonna play in the finals, let alone in the playoffs. He already said he is gonna opt out of USA basketball. This is gonna be his farewell with the best talent in the world on the court at the same time. He certainly deserves it. People wanna see the black mamba, we gon see da black mamba, colby brian because he iz ze gratest no ?s askd., free as seagull caw caw

Scoots
01-22-2016, 04:07 PM

Want to see a joke? Look at the NHL all-star game fan voting this year. A guy who has been cut 5 times this year and has, I think, 1 career goal, was named an all-star starter for the eastern team ... he's now on a western team BUT STILL GOING TO START FOR THE EAST!

Scoots
01-22-2016, 04:08 PM
LOL at people complaining at Kobe. Are you surprised? He isn't gonna play in the finals, let alone in the playoffs. He already said he is gonna opt out of USA basketball. This is gonna be his farewell with the best talent in the world on the court at the same time. He certainly deserves it. People wanna see the black mamba, we gon see da black mamba, colby brian because he iz ze gratest no ?s askd., free as seagull caw caw

They didn't give him a chance to opt-out of USA Basketball, they opted him out first :)

Kobe should refuse to go.

WaDe03
01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Kobe announced a week in advance he wasn't going to play for USA.

72 Wins
01-23-2016, 02:05 PM

I'm not blaming Kobe, but just criticizing the system. It definitely needs an overhaul. When you see guys who deserve to make the team or start get snubbed, it just further weakens the brand and game for the real fans. The casual fans voting in hoards probably don't even care that much about the game as opposed to individual players.

JTRobinson
01-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Agreed, It was a lot better back in the 80's and 90's. They got it right everytime and mixed it up a lot. In other words they wouldn't just pick the same 5 every year.

Draymond Green is better than kobe and should be starting. End of story.

This has been going on for many many years, It's because of the internet voting.
All the league needs to do is just bring back the paper ballot and then guys like Dirk when he was in his prime could start a few times.
Shaq would've started more over Ming.
I don't watch the game anymore. It's unwatchable and isn't even a contest anymore.
There were ZERO blocks in the game last year. You have to try not to play defense for that to happen. They're just getting out of the way on everything now. Then kids look at the ppg of the games now and think their league is better. wonder why with 5 - 0 fast breaks both ways. Pretty soon the opposing team will start inbounding the ball to the other end of the court so they can score a dunk.

Tired of seeing players that average like 15 a game on a losing team and play no defense getting voted in.
wall, Iverson, Anthony, wade, kobe, francis, ming, etc etc.

Scoots
01-30-2016, 02:44 AM
Kobe going still bugs me.

Maybe there should be a 13th spot on the roster for great players past their prime.

Dirk is the same age as Kobe and is a lock for the hall of fame and he's ACTUALLY HAVING A GREAT SEASON. Shouldn't he go ahead of Kobe?

I know AS voting is broken. Off the top of my head Joe Johnson has more all star games played than Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin and both of them are in the hall of fame.

The system is totally broken. It doesn't represent what the fans want when Drake and Justin Bieber count hundreds of thousands of times more than the average fan.

5 years ago you could vote online but you had to sign in to nba.com and it took about 2 minutes to fill out a ballot. It was still broken then because you could vote multiple times, but now it's literally 1 click to vote and it takes less than a second.