PDA

View Full Version : How many people could replace Draymond Green for the Warriors?

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind before I get a bunch off-topic posts that I am not saying that these are perfect replacements but...

LeBron James could be reasonably replaced by Russell Westbrook
Stephen Curry could be reasonably replaced by James Harden
Paul George could be reasonably replaced by Jimmy Butler

Name the top 3 players that are inferior to Draymond Green that could do a good enough job as his replacement to keep the Warriors as the title favorites.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 01:23 PM
I think only Leonard could do a decent job. It has to be a guy that understands the team game and can score 30 if need be. However, Green is probably a little stronger than Leonard and that allows the Warriors to play the 6'6 PF at C or anyposition. He's a Point guard and Center. He's strong and Fast. He challenges a lot of shots inside at 1.4 blocks per game for a 6'6 player. He is also one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Curry >>> Green

And also tougher to replace. He is the best shooter ever and best offensive player in the league. Harden doesn't come close to replacing him lol. Stop overthinking it. Curry is the best. It's pretty freakin obvious. The only two in the conversation with him are Durant and Lebron. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Replace Green with a more traditional PF and guess what, they are still a top 2 team in the West most likely. They'd probably move behind SA, but that's about it. Then again, they might worse than SA as is. It's pretty damn close between those teams. Green is great, don't get me wrong. But he's not at the level of Curry-Lebron-Durant.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind before I get a bunch off-topic posts that I am not saying that these are perfect replacements but...

Name the top 3 players that are inferior to Draymond Green that could do a good enough job as his replacement to keep the Warriors as the title favorites.

I don't understand how or why you said Westbrook for Lebron? Did you mean Durant?
Curry with Harden? Highly disagree there too. Kyrie might actually be his best replacement but that's a very tough sell.

Draymond has no great replacement either given his versatility, but Paul Millsap would be the closest to that offensive/defensive game.

YOUGOTAGETUP
01-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Curry >>> Green

And also tougher to replace. He is the best shooter ever and best offensive player in the league. Harden doesn't come close to replacing him lol. Stop overthinking it. Curry is the best. It's pretty freakin obvious. The only two in the conversation with him are Durant and Lebron. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Replace Green with a more traditional PF and guess what, they are still a top 2 team in the West most likely. They'd probably move behind SA, but that's about it. Then again, they might worse than SA as is. It's pretty damn close between those teams. Green is great, don't get me wrong. But he's not at the level of Curry-Lebron-Durant.

They would completely change their style of game then. Also I would see them going behind Cleveland and OKC aswell into about a tie with the Clippers.

Scoots
01-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Kawhi Leonard
LeBron James
Boris Diaw
Nic Batum

Now you did say not as good as Draymond and clearly that's a problem with leonard and James, and only 1 of those guys plays even a little like Draymond does (undersized PF) ... but I think those players, if put in the Warriors offense/defense and given Dray's assignments the Warriors would still be title favorites.

I'm sure I missed some significant names.

nycericanguy
01-21-2016, 02:02 PM
im gonna eat crow on Dray... i thought he was a product of the system and product of having so many great players around him... and while I'm sure playing with Steph & Klay makes things easier for him, he's really been amazing this year.

as for the topic...

Prime Wilson Chandler would do a decent job... versatile player that can guard almost every position, hit a lot of 3's, rebound, and pass some. But dont think he can pass like Dray.

Batum

prime Iggy

demare carroll

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Only Lebron James can replace Draymond Green.

They're the only Small Forwards that can guard Centers in the NBA

xxplayerxx23
01-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Lebron couldn't shoot like draymond though

tredigs
01-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Lebron can't guard centers for extended stretches like Draymond does. Neither can Kawhi. And definitely not guys like Batum or Iggy. Dray's a PF by the way.

Yanks All Day
01-21-2016, 02:55 PM
If you replace Draymond Green with a traditional power forward, they're not nearly the same team. He's their mismatch. Not Curry. I fully believe Stephen Curry is the best player in the NBA, but he's not what sets them apart from other teams. Green allows the Warriors to go small, yet not get abused by bigger teams because he guards opposing centers like any other 7-footer would. It's uncanny.

If you turn the Warriors into something like Curry - Klay - Barnes - traditional PF - Bogut, they're much less threatening, by comparison to their current form. Curry and Dray are their most consistent players. Klay is hot and cold. Barnes is hot and cold. Bogut is serviceable for his role. But Curry and Green are the reasons the Warriors are who they are. To not acknowledge that is to severely underrate Draymond Green's impact.

Draymond Green is a PF by trade who can handle the ball and shoot like a small forward, defend like a center, and cause havoc for other teams. He's a walking triple double. There's no true replacement for him in the NBA.

Chronz
01-21-2016, 03:06 PM
The closest I can think of has to meet 3 basic requirements, can pass+shoot under friendly sets and can defend ANYONE.

That last part is what separates them but I like each of the Morris twins to fit this the best. They cant defend everyone but they have alot of experience defending bigs. Really tho, no one in the league has his specific skill set. GS was genius in acquiring alot of players who know how to move the ball and then finding a coach who can actually use that skillset, funny how their former coach, the guy second in assists all-time doesn't know how to move the ball. Draymond, Pau, Diaw and surprisingly Joe Ingles are the only frontcourt guys who can spot and make the pass the milisecond they touch the ball. Guys like Blake and Marc are great first option passers (the guys who draw the doubles and make the right read) but they require holding the ball abit, among secondary options they would struggle abit. Secondary options that can pass the ball immediately are just as valuable as guys who can draw the double to begin with, so I dont think anyone could replace Dray. And before anyone tries to say this, its not because he has a great team around him. That helps his efficiency, not his passing.

5ass
01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Aaron Gordon... eventually.

5ass
01-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Al Farouq aminu

D-Leethal
01-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Millsap is probably the best choice.

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Harden is an elite offensive player. People getting too caught up. Harden would be unguardable on Golden State.

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Kawhi Leonard
LeBron James
Boris Diaw
Nic Batum

Now you did say not as good as Draymond and clearly that's a problem with leonard and James, and only 1 of those guys plays even a little like Draymond does (undersized PF) ... but I think those players, if put in the Warriors offense/defense and given Dray's assignments the Warriors would still be title favorites.

I'm sure I missed some significant names.

That is why I made the thread because I honestly think he is one of the hardest to duplicate players in the league. Take Batum for instance, good player similar offensive skills but you would not put him on a center.

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Aaron Gordon... eventually.

Can he shoot?

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 06:44 PM
The closest I can think of has to meet 3 basic requirements, can pass+shoot under friendly sets and can defend ANYONE.

That last part is what separates them but I like each of the Morris twins to fit this the best. They cant defend everyone but they have alot of experience defending bigs. Really tho, no one in the league has his specific skill set. GS was genius in acquiring alot of players who know how to move the ball and then finding a coach who can actually use that skillset, funny how their former coach, the guy second in assists all-time doesn't know how to move the ball. Draymond, Pau, Diaw and surprisingly Joe Ingles are the only frontcourt guys who can spot and make the pass the milisecond they touch the ball. Guys like Blake and Marc are great first option passers (the guys who draw the doubles and make the right read) but they require holding the ball abit, among secondary options they would struggle abit. Secondary options that can pass the ball immediately are just as valuable as guys who can draw the double to begin with, so I dont think anyone could replace Dray. And before anyone tries to say this, its not because he has a great team around him. That helps his efficiency, not his passing.

Joe Ingles?? I have no idea if that is a good example or not but damned if I am not going to try and find out.

mngopher35

I think I'd go with him too, pretty rare set of skills.

I still don't get how so many people have Klay as more important to this team than Green.

YOUGOTAGETUP
Can he average 8 Dimes and come in second in DPOY

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

I still don't get how so many people have Klay as more important to this team than Green.

Obv edge to Draymond with passing and defense but it is good.

I don't think you are right about Klay. If you polled PSD it would be overwhelmingly Green > Klay.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Don't you mean that Buttler could reasonably replace George? ;-)

Anyways.... nobody in the league could really replace him. He has a unique skillset. But I'd likely got with Batum. Great defender, passes, and shoots the 3 well.

5ass
01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Can he shoot?

He's learning for sure. 33% from 3 this year is pretty good, he's ahead of where Draymond was at his age. Remember he's in the same age group as this years rookie class. Younger than Mario and Porzingis (another name id throw out there for the purpose of this thread). He can handle the ball well and is a pretty good passer for a guy his size (obviously not anywhere near Green, but he has good potential as a playmaker). Defensively he's not great yet, but you can clearly see the potential. He has guarded anyone from d-rose, harden, PG, to Cousins... he just has to become a more disciplined defender. he's not in college anymore where he can easily recover if he gets beat. His rebounding is good.

If there's one young guy in the NBA that can become the most similar player to green, it has to be Gordon. I've felt that way since he was drafted (before Green even broke out). He's got similar versatility and he plays with energy.

flea
01-21-2016, 10:03 PM
There's a hefty handful of big forwards who could look good on that stacked team. But are any of them better than him in a vacuum? I'm not sure, but eventually we might find out. I love Draymond's game since his time in college and I do think he's one of the 5-7 best defenders currently but I think his offensive value, and in turn overall value, may get somewhat overstated since he plays on such a dominant offensive team.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 10:06 PM

I don't think you are right about Klay. If you polled PSD it would be overwhelmingly Green > Klay.

PSD was polled this summer. It was Klay > Draymond and Draymond out of the top 20. They were wrong, but I struggled to get my point across apparently.

There's a hefty handful of big forwards who could look good on that stacked team. But are any of them better than him in a vacuum? I'm not sure, but eventually we might find out. I love Draymond's game since his time in college and I do think he's one of the 5-7 best defenders currently but I think his offensive value, and in turn overall value, may get somewhat overstated since he plays on such a dominant offensive team.
On the contrary, I think there are a handful of bigs who are better in a vacuum (and obviously forwards if we're including KD, etc), but none would be as important on GS as Draymond.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 10:33 PM
Batum, Carroll and Parsons (assuming the last 2 could play like they did last year, which they probably can).

tredigs
01-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Batum, Carroll and Parsons (assuming the last 2 could play like they did last year, which they probably can).

Carroll can't pass. Batum and Parsons checking Rudy Gobert in the block for 8 minute stretches?

Suffice to say, if these are the recurring answers, there is no answer (I'll stick with Millsap being the closest).

mngopher35
01-21-2016, 10:54 PM

It did happen (otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it) and unfortunately there were plenty of people with klay as 2nd most important.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Khris Middleton also.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Khris Middleton also.

A shooting guard. Do yourself a favor and stop playing this game lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Carroll can't pass. Batum and Parsons checking Rudy Gobert in the block for 8 minute stretches?

Suffice to say, if these are the recurring answers, there is no answer (I'll stick with Millsap being the closest).

If the purpose is to find an exact/better replacement for Draymond, no **** there isn't an answer. If you're trying to find a decent replacement, those are more than fine really. And yes, I'm more than comfortable allowing those guys to guard Rudy Gobert's 6 FGA per game.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 10:58 PM
A shooting guard. Do yourself a favor and stop playing this game lol.

Fun fact, but did you know that he played substantial amount of minutes at PF last year guarding PFs? But yea, lol.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 10:58 PM
If the purpose is to find an exact/better replacement for Draymond, no **** there isn't an answer. If you're trying to find a decent replacement, those are more than fine really. And yes, I'm more than comfortable allowing those guys to guard Rudy Gobert's 6 FGA per game.

Lol rest assure he'd be taking a hell of a lot more than 6 FGA's if guarded by weak defensive SF's or shooting guards. Use Dwight Howard or DMC as the center in this scenario if it better helps illustrate just how overmatched they would be.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Fun fact, but did you know that he plays substantial amount of minutes at PF? But yea, lol.

No ****... He also plays at Center, and that's part of the reason why he is so important. GS's small ball lineup, their "lineup of death", does not work without Dray at center. That needs to be criteria #1A when choosing a guy who would work in his stead.

mngopher35
01-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Shawn Marion if we can go back in time a little bit

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Lol rest assure he'd be taking a hell of a lot more than 6 FGA's if guarded by weak defensive SF's or shooting guards. Use Dwight Howard or DMC as the center in this scenario if it better helps illustrate just how overmatched they would be.

Millsap would have as much trouble guarding SGs. So what's your point here?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:04 PM
No ****... He also plays at Center, and that's part of the reason why he is so important. GS's small ball lineup, their "lineup of death", does not work without Dray at center. That needs to be criteria #1A when choosing a guy who would work in his stead.

Yea, and with the modernaztion of the league, Carroll, Parsons, Batum, etc would be fine guarding around 60-80% of the centers in the league now. Whatever those guys can't make up guarding the 5-10 true centers in the league, Millsap can't make up in other facets of the game.

tredigs
01-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Millsap would have as much trouble guarding SGs. So what's your point here?

Draymond spends next to no time guarding SG's or PG's. It's just something that occurs on switches. It's FAR less important than actually being matched up/intended to guard an opposing center in their closing / most dangerous lineup. And I never said Millsap was a perfect match, just that he's the best match.

Yea, and with the modernaztion of the league, Carroll, Parsons, Batum, etc would be fine guarding around 60-80% of the centers in the league now.

Lmfao. You write this as if these guys are not IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW. They never guard centers. Ever. They cannot.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:10 PM
Draymond spends next to no time guarding SG's or PG's. It's just something that occurs on switches. It's FAR less important than actually being matched up/intended to guard an opposing center in their closing / most dangerous lineup. And I never said Millsap was a perfect match, just that he's the best match.

And I never said that the people I listed where perfect matches. They are just some of the better candidates from the small list of people. What's your point here?

Lmfao. You write this as if these guys are not IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW. They never guard centers. Ever. They cannot.

Am I supposed to believe that those 6'9 SF's I listed can't guard the many PF's who have now slid into a stretch C position (which is essentially the norm now)?

tredigs
01-21-2016, 11:13 PM
You're talking about sleight, average SG/SF defenders. Yes dude, they'd get absolutely slaughtered in the post. I'm done talking about this.

Da Knicks
01-21-2016, 11:15 PM
I would like to think anthony Davis would be a good replacement, also Porzingis and Karl Anthony would probably not be too shabby of replacements.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. He asked for 3 people to replace Draymond and I gave 3 people who can fill many of the things Draymond does. The OP examples of Lebron-Westbrook, Curry-Harden, George-Butler weren't exactly on point (better candidates than what he compared) have as many flaws as the ones I just listed. Man would I LOVE to see Westbrook guard PFs like Lebron :rolleyes:.

If I said Millsap, would you be happy and can I suck the royal penis now?

5ass
01-21-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. He asked for 3 people to replace Draymond and I gave 3 people who can fill many of the things Draymond does. The OP examples of Lebron-Westbrook, Curry-Harden, George-Butler weren't exactly on point (better candidates than what he compared) have as many flaws as the ones I just listed. Man would I LOVE to see Westbrook guard PFs like Lebron :rolleyes:.

If I said Millsap, would you be happy and can I suck the royal penis now?

Caroll/Batum ect would get destroyed in the post by 250+lb centers. How are they supposed to box out and grab rebounds? Put wither of them at center and your team is getting abused in the paint.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Caroll/Batum ect would get destroyed in the post by 250+lb centers. How are they supposed to box out and grab rebounds? Put wither of them at center and your team is getting abused in the paint.

You might have missed the point of the thread when the OP said that he's the hardest player to replicate but name 3 guys anyways. There's no perfect answer. It's a pick your poison. If Bosh or Love is playing center, then I'm fine putting those guys in there.

ewing
01-21-2016, 11:28 PM
what about Carmelo Anthony, Blake, Paul George, the greek Freak, AD. he is definitely a hell of player and has a skill set that you don't see often but i think those guys can duplicate a lot of it- not saying they all would be better in that spot but all are versatile with some good size. i didn't read everyone else's posts but these guys came to mind

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2016, 11:31 PM
what about Carmelo Anthony, Blake, Paul George, the greek Freak, AD. he is definitely a hell of player and has a skill set that you don't see often but i think those guys can duplicate a lot of it- not saying they all would be better in that spot but all are versatile with some good size. i didn't read everyone else's posts but these guys came to mind

It's probably harder to expect those guys to play Draymond's role (outside of maybe Greek Freak) than to actually name a perfect replacement for him.

5ass
01-21-2016, 11:51 PM
You might have missed the point of the thread when the OP said that he's the hardest player to replicate but name 3 guys anyways. There's no perfect answer. It's a pick your poison. If Bosh or Love is playing center, then I'm fine putting those guys in there.

They'd get destroyed by love or bosh lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
They'd get destroyed by love or bosh lol.

They're jump shooting big men and the size differential isn't too dramatic. It's more than fine. Certainly not a big enough advantage that it would compromise everything.

Quinnsanity
01-22-2016, 12:25 AM
To really do it at the level Draymond does, in every way? There are two guys in NBA history I can think of. LeBron James and Scottie Pippen. There's where the list ends.

There are guys who could replicate the formula to some extent and allow the Warriors to play a similar style. Jae Crowder, Boris Diaw, a few other guys, but the role Draymond Green plays on both ends of the floor really didn't exist until Draymond Green started doing it. There are very few guys who can do everything that he does. They're both Hall of Famers.

Chacarron
01-22-2016, 12:42 AM
I think Julius Randle can become that kind of player in a couple of years. He already has great handles and is a solid rebounder for his size. He also has great work ethic, which hopefully leads to him developing a consistent outside jumper.

TrueFan420
01-22-2016, 12:44 AM
I think Borris Diaw could do it. Solid defender. Great passer. Can space the floor tho not as well. Can play multiple roles including center for stretches.

5ass
01-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Giannis could be able to play that role someday as well.

flea
01-22-2016, 01:46 AM
To really do it at the level Draymond does, in every way? There are two guys in NBA history I can think of. LeBron James and Scottie Pippen. There's where the list ends.

There are guys who could replicate the formula to some extent and allow the Warriors to play a similar style. Jae Crowder, Boris Diaw, a few other guys, but the role Draymond Green plays on both ends of the floor really didn't exist until Draymond Green started doing it. There are very few guys who can do everything that he does. They're both Hall of Famers.

Wut? His "role" always existed. Go from Tom Sanders to Bobby Jones to Dennis Rodman to Ron Artest to Shane Battier to Shawn Marion to KG to get similar defensive guys, many of them superior in that regard. He definitely belongs in the Artest/Battier/Marion mould, but Marion was a sneaky good scorer and gets underrated because of the Nash/Stat worship. He was an 18 PPG player before Nash even showed up.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 02:27 AM
Wut? His "role" always existed. Go from Tom Sanders to Bobby Jones to Dennis Rodman to Ron Artest to Shane Battier to Shawn Marion to KG to get similar defensive guys, many of them superior in that regard. He definitely belongs in the Artest/Battier/Marion mould, but Marion was a sneaky good scorer and gets underrated because of the Nash/Stat worship. He was an 18 PPG player before Nash even showed up.
Rodman? I have to ask what exactly you think Draymond's role is offensively.

5ass
01-22-2016, 02:28 AM
Prime Gerald Wallace maybe

Scoots
01-22-2016, 02:42 AM
Lebron can't guard centers for extended stretches like Draymond does. Neither can Kawhi. And definitely not guys like Batum or Iggy. Dray's a PF by the way.

But the questions wasn't who can play like Dray, but who, added in his place, would still have the Warriors be title favorites. There is no replacing Dray, but LeBron and Kawhi on the Warriors they'd be favorites ... Kawhi particularly because the Spurs would hurt a LOT for his loss :)

tredigs
01-22-2016, 02:47 AM
But the questions wasn't who can play like Dray, but who, added in his place, would still have the Warriors be title favorites. There is no replacing Dray, but LeBron and Kawhi on the Warriors they'd be favorites ... Kawhi particularly because the Spurs would hurt a LOT for his loss :)

Well, he also said "that are inferior to Draymond Green". I wouldn't put Lebron or Kawhi in that camp. But word, I was definitely taking the question as "who has the skill set that could do what he does for the Warriors on both ends to the best degree".

Jayb587
01-22-2016, 02:49 AM
No one can replace dray. Kawhi cant even do all the things he does. Nd lebron doesnt have his heart. As much credit as he's getting now, he's still underrated. Probably a top 15 player in the NBA. Keep doubting him and keep watching him dominate your favorite team.

IKnowHoops
01-22-2016, 03:03 AM
No replacement for Dre, No replacement for Bron, No replacement for Curry

flea
01-22-2016, 03:04 AM
Rodman? I have to ask what exactly you think Draymond's role is offensively.

Re-read the post. Draymond is a nice offensive forward, among many, but not great. He's not that good of a shooter even though he's over 40% from 3 this year. If you disagree, you're a homer. Slow release, sucks everywhere else on the floor shooting, came into the league as a non-shooter, etc.

He's made himself into a fine situational guy on a team that gets him a bunch of wide-open looks, largely due also to his passing ability - not unlike Lebron on the Heat. That doesn't make a guy a good shooter. If you think a team with him as the best offensive option would win more than 35 games you're dreaming.

tredigs
01-22-2016, 03:07 AM
Re-read the post. Draymond is a nice offensive forward, among many. He's not that good of a shooter even though he's over 40% from 3 this year. If you disagree, you're a homer. Slow release, sucks everywhere else on the floor shooting, came into the league as a non-shooter, etc.

He's made himself into a fine situational guy on a team that gets him a bunch of wide-open looks, largely due also to his passing ability - not unlike Lebron on the Heat. That doesn't make a guy a good shooter.
The fact of the matter is that his offensive ability goes well beyond his ability to hit an open 3pt shot at an elite clip. He's great with the ball in his hands and is terrific at knowing when to shoot/hit the open perimeter man/hit the lob. The offense is ran through him on those sets for a reason. It's not something that Rodman had any ounce of, and could never be trusted in any of those facets (hence, wasn't).

IKnowHoops
01-22-2016, 03:13 AM
LOL at Harden as a replacement for Curry.....do you understand the attention that Curry attracts? Shaq is a much closer replacement than Harden. Curry's Impact is like Bron Impact...different...but he just makes the defense have to react in such away...its just crazy. Harden is an awesome player who I just love. I think he is a top 6 or 7 Sg of all time going off peak. But Curry is the best PG ever. Id rather compare Steph to Jordan than Harden from a perspective of impact. Steph is truly one of a kind.

flea
01-22-2016, 03:17 AM
The fact of the matter is that his offensive ability goes well beyond his ability to hit an open 3pt shot at an elite clip. He's great with the ball in his hands and is terrific at knowing when to shoot/hit the open perimeter man/hit the lob. The offense is ran through him on those sets for a reason. It's not something that Rodman had any ounce of, and could never be trusted in any of those facets (hence, wasn't).

Well in the original post I only compared them defensively, hence why I said re-read it. But regardless, Rodman pulled down more than 3 times the offensive boards than Draymond has this year for his career. Do I think Rodman is a better offensive player? No, but I do think Rodman's offensive assets can get overlooked.

Chronz
01-22-2016, 05:02 AM
Joe Ingles?? I have no idea if that is a good example or not but damned if I am not going to try and find out.

Check him out man, good story on the guy, been playing everywhere. He was one of the last guys the Clippers foolishly cut and he joined the jazz and worked himself into the rotation fairly quickly. He's a sick passer. Just a great glue guy, I'm alil disappointed that the jazz haven't unleashed him ( maybe he's at his best alongside playmakers, him being slow and a secondary passer and all) but i hope he gets a chance someday. He truly is draymond lite.

KnicksorBust
01-22-2016, 09:05 AM
PSD was polled this summer. It was Klay > Draymond and Draymond out of the top 20. They were wrong, but I struggled to get my point across apparently.

But how long are we going to live off a poll from 6 months ago? If it was re-done today it would be a landslide.

Prime Wilson Chandler would do a decent job... versatile player that can guard almost every position, hit a lot of 3's, rebound, and pass some. But dont think he can pass like Dray. http://s.coop/1xpjb http://financeisok.com/loan/images/24.gif

I loved Chandler on the Knicks but his passing is bad and his defense is incredibly overrated.

ewing
01-22-2016, 09:32 AM

what about Anthony Mason?

D-Leethal
01-22-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't think the OP intended this to be an exact emulation of the guy - moreso a replacement with a similar skill set where they would still be a 60+ win team and a title threat. That's what I got out of it, anyway. Dray is one of the most unique players in the game - but I do think there were some versatile defenders who could pass in a similar mold 10-20 years ago before the 3 ball was as important as it is today. And if they played in this era where 3 point shooting was essential, even from most bigs, they might have added that to their repertoire. I like the Anthony Mason example.

D-Leethal
01-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Mase was a 16-11-6 guy in his prime who could defend a bunch of positions. No 3 ball.

Old Larry Johnson skill set and mentality with young Larry Johnson passing skills is close.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Re-read the post. Draymond is a nice offensive forward, among many, but not great. He's not that good of a shooter even though he's over 40% from 3 this year. If you disagree, you're a homer. Slow release, sucks everywhere else on the floor shooting, came into the league as a non-shooter, etc.

He's made himself into a fine situational guy on a team that gets him a bunch of wide-open looks, largely due also to his passing ability - not unlike Lebron on the Heat. That doesn't make a guy a good shooter. If you think a team with him as the best offensive option would win more than 35 games you're dreaming.

I love Draymond (no homer :D) ... but he has sucked as a shooter/scorer from day 1. Last year he struggled with layups early in the year. That said, whoever is teaching him to shoot/score needs more pupils because Dray has gone from worse than Tony Allen bad to better than average in a year. Dray knew he was bad so he asked Kerr where he was going to get most of his shots and was told the top of the 3pt line so Dray put up tens of thousands of 3s from there and essentially practiced no other shots until half way through last year. Still not good, not at all, but the fact that his offense is good enough to draw respect makes a HUGE difference to the Warriors team as a whole.

I know that wasn't your point, but I'm just amazed what he's done. From last year when he couldn't score inside of 15 feet to where he's now a legit threat to score on any possession.

nycericanguy
01-22-2016, 11:26 AM
My final answers are Boris Diaw (especially in his prime) and Wilson Chandler.

72 Wins
01-22-2016, 11:53 AM
I think you have to look at this question from a defensive standpoint. Green can guard virtually EVERY position.

mrblisterdundee
01-22-2016, 02:45 PM

LeBron James would be the best replacement, and if I were the Cavs, I might think about making that trade.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-22-2016, 02:55 PM
what about Anthony Mason?

Anthony "Cheese burger" Mason. I remember when Bucks landing him in the Scott Williams trade. Mason was like over 300 pounds. Still a triple double threat though. Was a classic trade chasing 8th seed playoffs or bust for Bucks. Would of rather kept Scott Williams and some how traded Ervin "Stone hands" Johnson. Rather just kept Danny Fortson instead of trading him in draft night trade for Johnson from Denver. Fortson could grab like 10 boards in 5 minutes.

Bostonjorge
01-23-2016, 03:44 AM
I love Draymond (no homer :D) ... but he has sucked as a shooter/scorer from day 1. Last year he struggled with layups early in the year. That said, whoever is teaching him to shoot/score needs more pupils because Dray has gone from worse than Tony Allen bad to better than average in a year. Dray knew he was bad so he asked Kerr where he was going to get most of his shots and was told the top of the 3pt line so Dray put up tens of thousands of 3s from there and essentially practiced no other shots until half way through last year. Still not good, not at all, but the fact that his offense is good enough to draw respect makes a HUGE difference to the Warriors team as a whole.

I know that wasn't your point, but I'm just amazed what he's done. From last year when he couldn't score inside of 15 feet to where he's now a legit threat to score on any possession.

Everyone is shooting good in GS now it seems. I know it's the easiest deep shot but Green, Iggy and Barnes seem to never miss the wide open 3. Livingston don't shoot 3's but has the little inside jumper on lock. Of course the splash brothers. Maybe it's in the water? Maybe it's Kerr? Maybe it's that championship swag?

JTRobinson
01-23-2016, 08:27 AM
No one plays the Defense that Draymond does except Leonard and Duncan. That's hard to replace. Also he creates about 32 points of the GS offense. (15points 8 assist, not too mention all the screens he sets).

CluTcH_c1tY
01-23-2016, 12:53 PM
From an outside point of view Green makes that team go not Curry. Crazy how much this guy has developed. "And 1!!!!:

Bowman53
01-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Anthony Davis is the only PF that can replicate what Draymond brings to the Warriors.

greg_ory_2005
01-23-2016, 05:59 PM
As others have said, Millsap is a good pick. Maybe even Josh Smith like 4 or 5 years ago

ewing
01-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Kyle O'Quinn

PatsSoxKnicks
01-27-2016, 05:26 PM

I don't understand how or why you said Westbrook for Lebron? Did you mean Durant?
Curry with Harden? Highly disagree there too. Kyrie might actually be his best replacement but that's a very tough sell.

Draymond has no great replacement either given his versatility, but Paul Millsap would be the closest to that offensive/defensive game.

Tredigs is right- there's no great replacement for Draymond. Figured I'd be reading this thread and find that he gets underrated. Also agree that Millsap might be the closest approximation.

But I suggest you guys both check this out (good article):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/02/warriors-power-forward-draymond-green-is-the-nbas-best-center/

So you basically have a wing who can guard Center's and pass like a PG. There's no inferior players that can bring that type of versatility and have the Warriors remain a title contender. There's a reason his RPM is 4th best in the league. He brings a versatility to the Warriors that nobody outside of maybe Lebron can bring. And I say maybe with Lebron because there are some issues with Lebron's defense that didn't use to be there (i.e. like lazy closeouts)- he's developed some bad habits that he hasn't really shook.

CardinalRed24
01-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Kawhi Leonard and Paul George would be the best replacements imo.
Aside from those two i'd go with a younger Andre Iguodala, Lamar Odom, Kris Middleton or perhaps Gordon Hayward with a few tweaks to his game.

Draymond Green is a budding superstar and overall he's just about irreplaceable. What more can you ask for from your 2nd/3rd option. He's a complete basketball player who can do it all and I only expect him to keep getting better at just 25 years of age. The Warriors really have something special as far as their main core of Curry, Thompson and Green all in the begining of their primes. They should be a force in the West for many years to come.