PDA

View Full Version : "Hack-A-Shaq" Needs To Be Changed

Rivera
01-21-2016, 11:22 AM
There's no way that Drummond should have been fouled 5 times in 10 seconds on purpose like that. It's not basketball.

I've always been on the make your free throws side but the first 10 seconds of the third quarter that's ridiculous

That rule needs to be modified and there needs to be parameters when it's acceptable

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 11:32 AM
No, it doesn't need to be changed. I get that it's not pretty to watch. But if a guy is that horrific at FT shooting, take him off the floor if need be.

Jewelz0376
01-21-2016, 11:38 AM
There's no way that Drummond should have been fouled 5 times in 10 seconds on purpose like that. It's not basketball.

I've always been on the make your free throws side but the first 10 seconds of the third quarter that's ridiculous

That rule needs to be modified and there needs to be parameters when it's acceptable

Soooo what's your solution?

shep33
01-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Make your free throws. Agree with Jalen and Chauncey. Changing the game for like 3 NBA players?

Take him out the game if he can't hit them like others have said

Tony_Starks
01-21-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm old school on this one. It's completely morally wrong to alter the game for poor FT shooters, even historically bad ones.

That's up to the coach. Either trust your guy and live with the results, or like hawk said get him off the floor in crunch time.

That's what Phil did with the actual Shaq, to some pretty great results.

jls203
01-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Nah, I disagree. It's an advantage, just like teams going small. It's up to the coach to have that player in. I find it entertaining sometimes to see if the crappy free throw shooter will make them lol... Just my 2 cents

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Make your free throws. Agree with Jalen and Chauncey. Changing the game for like 3 NBA players?

Completely agree. Would love to see one of these big oofs try and bring back the Rick Barry to improve their %.

Rivera
01-21-2016, 12:43 PM
[
Soooo what's your solution?

Allow it only during certain times. Like 8-3 minutes left in the 2nd qtr and 4th cause I know if you foul like that under two minutes it's free throws and the ball

If they did that like they did yesterday beginning of the 3rd I would have fallen an intentional foul and give them the ball back

Every sport changes rules to speed up the game and make it better to watch I don't see why the NBA be an exception to not changing its rule

I've always been a make your free throws guy until last night. That was just pathetic no one wants to watch that kind of basketball and I have no interest in the rockets or Pistons

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Allow it only during certain times. Like 8-3 minutes left in the 2nd qtr and 4th cause I know if you foul like that under two minutes it's free throws and the ball

If they did that like they did yesterday beginning of the 3rd I would have fallen an intentional foul and give them the ball back

Every sport changes rules to speed up the game and make it better to watch I don't see why the NBA be an exception to not changing its rule

I've always been a make your free throws guy until last night. That was just pathetic no one wants to watch that kind of basketball and I have no interest in the rockets or Pistons

Why should they change the rules because of like 3 players out of 450? There is no need. It's strategy.

Chronz
01-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Just make intentional fouls worth 3 attempts and problem is solved

Rivera
01-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Why should they change the rules because of like 3 players out of 450? There is no need. It's strategy.

It's not basketball plain and simple. I'm more complaining about the timing of it. Like half time is over and your game plan after half is foul him 5 times in 10 seconds? And the only reason he had that strategy is the rules allow it. It's stupid.

It's a rule that makes the game harder to watch and it's pretty pathetic. All sports recently are changing rules to make the game faster and make the game easier to watch on the eyes. Look at all the NFL rules changes and how the game is easier/better to watch because the game flows and defense adjusted to all the rules against a defense

Coaches can adjust if you take this stupid rule out. I'm proposing a time when its okay and when it's not compared to throwing it out completely

LOb0
01-21-2016, 01:06 PM
All they have to do is make it so the team can decline to shoot the free throws if they want. In the last 2 minutes the rules go back to normal.

I however would prefer they left it alone

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Just make intentional fouls worth 3 attempts and problem is solved

the easiest fix is to let the team whose player is fouled choose if they would like to shoot free throws, or take the ball out of bounds with a reset to 14.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 01:11 PM
It's not basketball plain and simple. I'm more complaining about the timing of it. Like half time is over and your game plan after half is foul him 5 times in 10 seconds? And the only reason he had that strategy is the rules allow it. It's stupid.

It's a rule that makes the game harder to watch and it's pretty pathetic. All sports recently are changing rules to make the game faster and make the game easier to watch on the eyes. Look at all the NFL rules changes and how the game is easier/better to watch because the game flows and defense adjusted to all the rules against a defense

Coaches can adjust if you take this stupid rule out. I'm proposing a time when its okay and when it's not compared to throwing it out completely

Then Van Gundy should take Drummond out.

Scoots
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
the easiest fix is to let the team whose player is fouled choose if they would like to shoot free throws, or take the ball out of bounds with a reset to 14.

This.

Plus ... if a player hits 50% from the line this is a failing tactic and 50% should NOT be a problem. And according to most it's more of a sports psychology issue than a physical one. Even Shaq has admitted that he can hit 80% in an empty gym, so the big-hands/arms/lever length/mechanics thing doesn't apply, and these guys are bricking FTs in the first minute of games so it's not a fatigue thing either. It gets in their heads. Andre Iguodala averaged 75% for the first 6 years of his career and now he has 2 seasons under 60% ... it's not like he forgot ... it got in his head (thankfully this year he's at 72% so maybe he's conquered it).

Rivera
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Then Van Gundy should take Drummond out.

So your resolution is to take out one of the games young stars who's fun to watch and make the game even more unwatchable?

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 01:38 PM
So your resolution is to take out one of the games young stars who's fun to watch and make the game even more unwatchable?

that is up to his coach. If Drummond wants to not be a liability when it comes to shooting FT's, then get better at them. Should we not allow people to reach in because Wiggins can't dribble the ball? Maybe we should take away shot blocking so Rubio can make a layup?

BoSox47
01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
completely disagree with the fact it needs to be changed. What needs to be changed is the accountability of these players to practice their free throws. Just because a couple of players are awful at shooting free throws doesnt mean the whole league needs to be reprimanded for a few peoples inability to shoot.

JWO35
01-21-2016, 02:12 PM
As a Piston fan I want the rule to remain the same or even taken to another level to hinder bad free throw shooters even more. There's no reason Drummond should be shooting 30% from the Free Throw line, its completely unacceptable...

shep33
01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Drummond is so bad at freethrows. I think the only worse player in that department I can remember was Biedrins.

IndyRealist
01-21-2016, 02:24 PM
They were hacking the Pacers center earlier in the year. Then Ian Mahimni went like 6-10 a couple of games in a row and they stopped. Now he hits his free throws. End of story.

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2016, 02:24 PM
you don't change rules because you're not good enough to shoot free throws. sorry.

If Drummond wants to help his team win he needs to start shooting underhand.

shep33
01-21-2016, 02:26 PM
He has a better chance dunking from the free throw line

Yanks All Day
01-21-2016, 02:27 PM
There's 3 or 4 players in the entire NBA that get this treatment. It's not a league-wide epidemic. Nothing to change.

Either hit the free throws or get off the court.

Chronz
01-21-2016, 03:10 PM
He has a better chance dunking from the free throw line

Thats illegal, maybe we should make it legal again.

People act like changing rules to open up the game is never done. FOULING INTENTIONALLY is NOT a part of the game IMO. What if there were a rule where we could force a bad shooter into hitting his 3's. JUST PRACTICE DUHHHH

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 03:17 PM

People act like changing rules to open up the game is never done. FOULING INTENTIONALLY is NOT a part of the game IMO. What if there were a rule where we could force a bad shooter into hitting his 3's. JUST PRACTICE DUHHHH

Right, but you don't make a league wide rule change for like 3 guys.

Rivera
01-21-2016, 03:24 PM
I will never understand a situation like yesterday isn't called an intentional foul

I will admit I don't know the exact letter of the law as to what an intentional foul

But by the definition of intentional what the Hou coach did was Intentional as it gets and it was a foul.

When that happens and it isn't even an attempt at a real basketball play it should be called as an intentional foul. 2 shots and the ball

Chronz
01-21-2016, 03:45 PM

I dont see how that fixes anything, might as well make it illegal, at least this allows some strategy while also helping the math even out.

Chronz
01-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Right, but you don't make a league wide rule change for like 3 guys.

But they've made changes for 1 guy.....

shep33
01-21-2016, 03:56 PM

I get what you're saying, but it's like 3-4 dudes. And it's just such a fundamental part of the game. You're a professional player, to hit 35% of your free throws is ridiculous.

I look at it as strategy, like forcing a bad jump shooter to take an outside shot. If he isn't hitting them, take his *** out

shep33
01-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Also, I think the NBA is just giving guys a pass for their weakness if they change the rule

Literally, Drummond, DJ, and Howard would have such an increased value because you're getting rid of their biggest fault.

TheMightyHumph
01-21-2016, 04:04 PM

Actually, that is NBA basketball. Drummond needs to practice his foul shooting, the same way guys that can't hit a seventeen foot jumpshot need to practice that shot.

Foulshooting is a required part of the game.

However, as the game is not about winning anymore, but about money, let's do everything we can to make it more entertaining and less competitive.

You seem to want to put in a rule specifying periods of time during the game when you can intentionally foul. NBA already has one.

TheMightyHumph
01-21-2016, 04:13 PM

They made changes for Chamberlain to take his game down a notch, but they didn't change a rule because he was a poor FT shooter.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 05:35 PM

to stop one man from absolutely dominating. They weren't protecting a couple players weaknesses, nor should they now.

The didn't allow dunking for a while in college to slow down Alcindor. It didn't work.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2016, 05:36 PM
I dont see how that fixes anything, might as well make it illegal, at least this allows some strategy while also helping the math even out.

It fixes it because teams wouldn't do it early, or they will be in the penalty all night letting the other team shoot FT's. The team with the weak FT shooter can just inbound the ball, versus putting a terrible shooter at the line.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2016, 05:39 PM
No rule change needed. Teams won't be doing that too often.

It's like this: they LOST.

It didn't help them.

Did he miss a bunch of shots? YUP. And their guys racked up all kinds of fouls, and they still lost.

They were down by 9 at the beginning of the quarter, and they were down by 6 at the end. Also, though many of the fouls were by McDaniels and Harrell, Ariza and Harden were at 5 by the end of the game, meaning that neither of them could commit to defense for fear of being ejected and leaving the team with only two scoring options (jones and brewer) and an undersized ball handler. And keep in mind, Brewer and Lawson had 4 fouls as well.

It clearly wasn't an effective strategy. And honestly, it was kinda fun to watch ;-)

If I were Detroit, I would have left him out even longer and let him eat up all their fouls.

They irony is that the Rockets have Howard.... Detroit could have done the same thing to them were Howard on the floor and they were down (though not even Howard is as bad a FT shooter as Drummond).

At the end of the day, Drummond still made more FTs than Harden did.

Rivera
01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Actually, that is NBA basketball. Drummond needs to practice his foul shooting, the same way guys that can't hit a seventeen foot jumpshot need to practice that shot.

Foulshooting is a required part of the game.

However, as the game is not about winning anymore, but about money, let's do everything we can to make it more entertaining and less competitive.

You seem to want to put in a rule specifying periods of time during the game when you can intentionally foul. NBA already has one.

I actually referred to that rule and wish it was amended to what I said or other solutions on here that aren't bad

I know you don't care about the casual fan cause you will watch NBA anyway but you think the casual fan wants to watch that ? Hell no. All corporations cater to the casual person. Not the die hard because they will always be around. They will continue to lose viewers and that's on them. NBA finals ratings have sucked compared to the past minus the minor blip for the series I can't remember right now but it was a good rating for a finals

Silver needs to discuss alternative solution before you lose the casuals

Chronz
01-21-2016, 05:59 PM
It fixes it because teams wouldn't do it early, or they will be in the penalty all night letting the other team shoot FT's. The team with the weak FT shooter can just inbound the ball, versus putting a terrible shooter at the line.

That doesn't fix it because it eliminates the strategy to begin with. Team hack for a reason, precisely because you HAVE to take the foul shots. Again, this is no different than just making them illegal, which goes against the crowd that says not to change anything for a few players or that wants to keep the strat.

mngopher35
01-21-2016, 06:18 PM
I have always been one the side of leaving it and just tell them to make their free throws but honestly I don't care much anymore. It is very boring to watch a game where this becomes the strategy and I can only imagine a casual fan seeing it in a random game (immediately changes channel). There are a couple ideas in here that would lessen the strategy or end it completely so its definitely possible to do.

Chronz idea of adding a 3rd shot is interesting, haven't seen that before but it makes sense to keep the strategy part alive and force them to still make ft's (although it should drastically lessen the amount it's used). The option Hawk mentioned would likely eliminate the issue all together which plenty probably want. I still have no idea which of these I would prefer if changed but I am starting to lean that way.

NYKnickFanatic
01-21-2016, 06:51 PM
I hate watching that ****, but I wouldn't want to change a rule to help benefit so few players.

Make your free throws.

IndyRealist
01-21-2016, 07:06 PM

There are instances where you foul intentionally. It's an accepted part of the game. You foul on an inbounds play when you have one to give. You foul when you're down and there's less than 24 seconds left in the game. You foul to prevent a layup. You might foul when you're up 3 to prevent a 3pt shot. I'm sure there are others.

Kyben36
01-21-2016, 07:08 PM
no, it doesn't need to be changed. I get that it's not pretty to watch. But if a guy is that horrific at ft shooting, take him off the floor if need be.

+1, really, you cant put a guy out there that can not hit an uncontested shot from 15 feet, i dont care if your 7 feet tall or a pg, you cant be on the floor then, its ****ing fundamentals,

next you will say you can you cant double team a guy because he is not good when it happens.

Fouls are a part of the game, make your damn fts, if this was my job, and i got paid millions to do it, you should be able to work to get better at it, if drummond can be as good in other areas of the game, why cant he improve this part.

ManningToTyree
01-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Make your free throws

Chronz
01-21-2016, 07:23 PM
to stop one man from absolutely dominating.
Exactly, whats the difference?

They weren't protecting a couple players weaknesses, nor should they now.

The didn't allow dunking for a while in college to slow down Alcindor. It didn't work.
Are you suggesting a dunk is a lower% shot than a layup? If not, then it did work. The only difference is this is much less watchable and thus more damaging to the league. We didn't allow zones until the shooters caught up for fear that it would render the game unwatchable, well thats never gonna happen with FTs. Eventually something has to give, and we've augmented free throw rules in the past, why not again?

Thats why the only possible correct solution was mine, its not an elimination of the strat, just something that really makes you think about the results.

Chronz
01-21-2016, 07:25 PM
They made changes for Chamberlain to take his game down a notch, but they didn't change a rule because he was a poor FT shooter.

Yes they did, actually. Chamberlain used to dunk a few free throws in, then everone outlawed it because he would never miss. Why do we get to make the game harder for bigs (who mostly struggle with shooting) but make it easier for smalls (who struggle with physicality). Its not fair IMO

KnicksorBust
01-21-2016, 09:08 PM

This.

Plus ... if a player hits 50% from the line this is a failing tactic and 50% should NOT be a problem. And according to most it's more of a sports psychology issue than a physical one. Even Shaq has admitted that he can hit 80% in an empty gym, so the big-hands/arms/lever length/mechanics thing doesn't apply, and these guys are bricking FTs in the first minute of games so it's not a fatigue thing either. It gets in their heads. Andre Iguodala averaged 75% for the first 6 years of his career and now he has 2 seasons under 60% ... it's not like he forgot ... it got in his head (thankfully this year he's at 72% so maybe he's conquered it).

Best example: Nick Anderson

Meth
01-21-2016, 09:37 PM
These are professional basketball players; I really don't understand why some are so bad at free throws. That being said, that's just the game. If you can't make your free throws, then that's on you. It's not entertaining basketball, but I'm not in favor of changing the rules for the select few players who have literally spent their whole lives playing basketball and getting paid millions of dollars, and can't even make their free throws.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Lol at people who say it isn't part of the game. I can't see how taking advantage of your opposition's weakness isn't something to look at in the game of basketball.

Would you people really be *****ing if they intentionally fouled Harden or Curry instead?

Kyben36
01-21-2016, 09:51 PM
I dont even play basketball but once a week and i can shoot better than 50 %, not much, but still. if your paid to work at this daily, you should be better, change your mechanics, do something,

numba1CHANGsta
01-21-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm tired of people saying "If he's not good at the FT line then he shouldn't be in the game" that's stupid. These intentional fouls need to be fixed. One way is to make an "intentional foul cap" per player per game. After a player is intentionally fouled more than a certain number of times a game, then that player's team gets a 1 technical foul FT (any player on the floor can be chosen to attempt it) plus the ball back after the player fouled shoots his 2 FT's. This will limit opposing teams to be wise of when they would want to use their intentional/"hack-a-shaq" fouls on a player and will let those players be on the floor more especially during crunch time.

SPURSFAN1
01-22-2016, 02:47 AM
I can't take people wanting a rule change serious.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 02:50 AM
I'm tired of people saying "If he's not good at the FT line then he shouldn't be in the game" that's stupid. These intentional fouls need to be fixed. One way is to make an "intentional foul cap" per player per game. After a player is intentionally fouled more than a certain number of times a game, then that player's team gets a 1 technical foul FT (any player on the floor can be chosen to attempt it) plus the ball back after the player fouled shoots his 2 FT's. This will limit opposing teams to be wise of when they would want to use their intentional/"hack-a-shaq" fouls on a player and will let those players be on the floor more especially during crunch time.

How do you determine which fouls are "intentional"? Then the teams will just get better at "tripping" into that player and stepping under them when they try to shoot and "accidentally" tripping them ... then you get more chances for injuries too.

numba1CHANGsta
01-22-2016, 03:27 AM
How do you determine which fouls are "intentional"? Then the teams will just get better at "tripping" into that player and stepping under them when they try to shoot and "accidentally" tripping them ... then you get more chances for injuries too.

Basically a clear non shooting foul where the player doesn't even have the ball in his hands thats what I mean, of course it would be hard to determine a foul vs an intentional foul if the player has the ball in his hands, but off the ball clear purposely fouls should take into account in a cap number. Or after a certain number of hack-a-whatevers the player has the right to choose the player he wants shooting the FT's for him. Trust me there's a way to fix this, the NBA is just not trying or care for it but everyone knows it's def an issue. Not only does it give a player who isn't good at shooting FT's a disadvantage, but it also kills momentum of how the team is performing.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 03:38 AM
Basically a clear non shooting foul where the player doesn't even have the ball in his hands thats what I mean, of course it would be hard to determine a foul vs an intentional foul if the player has the ball in his hands, but off the ball clear purposely fouls should take into account in a cap number. Or after a certain number of hack-a-whatevers the player has the right to choose the player he wants shooting the FT's for him. Trust me there's a way to fix this, the NBA is just not trying or care for it but everyone knows it's def an issue. Not only does it give a player who isn't good at shooting FT's a disadvantage, but it also kills momentum of how the team is performing.
Too complicated ... Just add an option to take the ball out of bounds instead of fts.

Bruno
01-22-2016, 05:22 AM

interesting points Shep, but thinking about what you said made me remember about how I heard as a kid that they changed the rules for Wilt and for KAJ in college. because of their brilliance, as opposed to their flaws. but still, the game has been changed because of a fewer number of people in the past, be it the width of the lane, or the legality of dunking. i'm torn on this debate. it makes it more of a coaches game, when applicable. more of a chess match. i can appreciate that. but at the same time, I don't think this was ever intended to be a part of the ebb and flow of basketball. it is a game of flow, the hack-a is a bit too regimented, a bit too much like football, for my personal liking. but i really understand both sides and I think its an interesting debate.

PhillyFaninLA
01-22-2016, 05:39 AM

Hack-A-Shaq is not a rule, its a term coined when teams fouled Shaq because he was so bad at free throws....its a strategy not rule.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Hack-A-Shaq is not a rule, its a term coined when teams fouled Shaq because he was so bad at free throws....its a strategy not rule.

It's a tactic not a strategy.

D-Leethal
01-22-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm old school on this one. It's completely morally wrong to alter the game for poor FT shooters, even historically bad ones.

That's up to the coach. Either trust your guy and live with the results, or like hawk said get him off the floor in crunch time.

That's what Phil did with the actual Shaq, to some pretty great results.

I agree - if severely limited offensive skill guys like Drummond and DJ can make themselves offensive threats by doing nothing but overpowering and dunking, the opposition should be able to exploit them for their complete lack of skill outside of that area. You shouldn't have to live with a guy who with negative offensive touch scoring double digits at a 90% clip - foul them and make them earn FTs. If they can use their limited skills to be effective, the other team should be able to exploit their limited skills to make them ineffective.

This.

Good thing Guppyfighter is banned or he would argue the mental side of sports doesn't exist.

PhillyFaninLA
01-22-2016, 11:22 AM
It's a tactic not a strategy.

I stand corrected...but I think its almost semantics but I get your point.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Good thing Guppyfighter is banned or he would argue the mental side of sports doesn't exist.

Sometimes I wondered the same about Guppy.

Scoots
01-22-2016, 11:48 AM
I stand corrected...but I think its almost semantics but I get your point.

The funny thing to me is that the tactic has existed since Wilt and they STILL don't know if it works.

One thing we haven't talked about is that going hack-a does give your own players rest. If you are an older or bigger team who prefers a slower pace (Spurs? Griz?) then the hack-a may not be about play on the court but extending rest for your players.

NetsPaint
01-22-2016, 02:38 PM
The rules shouldn't be changed.

I do question those kind of fouls being called sometimes though. Bad calls are made all the time, but those light taps are made throughout every game without being called, and shouldn't be. What is that?

mrblisterdundee
01-22-2016, 02:41 PM
No, it doesn't need to be changed. I get that it's not pretty to watch. But if a guy is that horrific at FT shooting, take him off the floor if need be.

This. Andre Drummond's (in)ability to shoot free throws is a basketball skill. Taking advantage of his weakness is a strategy. So yes; it's basketball. As long as free throws have been in existence, it's been basketball.

mrblisterdundee
01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
The rules shouldn't be changed.

I do question if those kind of fouls being called sometimes though. Bad calls are made all the time, but those light taps are made throughout every game without being called, and shouldn't be. What is that?

Right? Those grown men should be dry-humping each other if they want a foul. Show Drummond and DeAndre some love before you screw them at the foul line.