PDA

View Full Version : All-time top 10 dirtiest NBA players

Scoots
01-19-2016, 05:13 PM
The first issue here is definition ... in my mind dirty means physical play where another player is more likely to be injured because of one players actions. Some people call it "hustle" or "gritty".

To me, my favorite was Bill Laimbeer ... but most of those bad-boy Pistons would be in consideration.

Thoughts?

celticsman2009
01-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Dirty: Artest, Anyone that played in the 80s. Semi Dirty: Bird did a ton of trash talking. Jordan, Rodman

Hawkeye15
01-19-2016, 05:32 PM
in no order:

Stockton
Artest
Laimbeer
Reggie Evans
Oakley
Sheed

have all got to be in there. Zeke was pretty dirty, Bird had his moments. If we go back to the 70's there are even more

tredigs
01-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Well, early NBA years were a jungle apparently, so they pretty much have to be thrown out. But definitely the Bad Boy Pistons ike you said (take your pick of Rodman/Laimbeer/Mahorn. Zeke was dirty too), Artest, Bruce Bowen, Charles Oakley. Stockton/Malone were pretty dirty themselves. And I'd say JR Smith has made a case for himself at this point.

Scoots
01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
I never thought of Jordan as dirty.

And talk isn't dirty to me at all.

Artest and Rodman ABSOLUTELY on the list :)

R. Johnson#3
01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Off the top of my head in no order.

Bruce Bowen
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Oakley
Ron Artest

Except I don't think it's really fair to call Artest a dirty player. I honestly think he's just clinically insane.

Stockton was probably the best of the best of the dirty players because he never got caught.

tredigs
01-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Bruce Bowen
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Oakley
Ron Artest

Except I don't think it's really fair to call Artest a dirty player. I honestly think he's just clinically insane.

Stockton was probably the best of the best of the dirty players because he never got caught.

Should have seen how big my eyes got before I read the next sentence hahah. Now I know how Timmy feels.

On a side note, you're probably right.

Hawkeye15
01-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Bruce Bowen
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Oakley
Ron Artest

no doubt. But ask Harden's neck if he thinks Artest is dirty haha

TheMightyHumph
01-19-2016, 06:31 PM
To my memory, no contest..............Danny Fortson

Sanjay
01-19-2016, 06:46 PM
The Los Angeles times released a poll (of players and coaches) of today's dirtiest players three days ago. Cavaliers third-string point guard Matthew Delavedova was first followed by Thunder starting center Steven Adams and Bogut was third. Obviously nothing compared to the old days, but I do not think Adams and Bogut are dirty, however Delavedova has made some dangerous plays which have/could have caused injury.

LOb0
01-19-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm just throwing Dwyane Wade's name in here. He has gotten away with so many dirty plays. I remember one all-star game he got mad about a no call on Kobe, a couple plays later, he smacked the ***** outta Kobe so bad that he got a concussion.

I will he say he's one of the smartest dirty players ever, because he does it in a way that its hard to tell if its intentional or not, lol but it always is.

Hawkeye15
01-19-2016, 07:00 PM
The Los Angeles times released a poll (of players and coaches) of today's dirtiest players three days ago. Cavaliers third-string point guard Matthew Delavedova was first followed by Thunder starting center Steven Adams and Bogut was third. Obviously nothing compared to the old days, but I do not think Adams and Bogut are dirty, however Delavedova has made some dangerous plays which have/could have caused injury.

Yeah, I get that he comes from Australia and rugby, and that he basically was fighting for a job in the NBA, but some of his dives for loose balls are clearly suspect.

Delly is like that dude you hate guarding you, cause he is annoying, sweaty, yells ball-ball-ball all the ****ing time, you just want to neck chop him. Like, chill out man

Scoots
01-19-2016, 07:03 PM
To my memory, no contest..............Danny Fortson

I was just thinking about him, and Larry Smith, And the Davis' from Indy, Anthony Mason ... all of them played dirty in similar ways ... what back then was just called "physical".

John Starks?

Kermit Washington is famous for one of the most dirty moments ever.

Danny Ainge was a punk *****, but he was dirty too.

Matt f'n Barnes!

Reggie Evans and Tyler Hansbrough may make the list at some point.

LOb0
01-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Lack of KG in this thread.

Scoots
01-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Kenyon Martin always seemed to be hammering someone

Scoots
01-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Lack of KG in this thread.

I noticed that ... is he still doing it in Minny? Haven't seen much of their games.

Sanjay
01-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I get that he comes from Australia and rugby, and that he basically was fighting for a job in the NBA, but some of his dives for loose balls are clearly suspect.

Delly is like that dude you hate guarding you, cause he is annoying, sweaty, yells ball-ball-ball all the ****ing time, you just want to neck chop him. Like, chill out man

I am a New Zealander and I know commentators mention rugby when he makes a dirty play, but rugby is not really a dirty sport. You tackle like the NFL (obviously American football is much stricter on contact), but it is not like wrestling or anything. I completely agree, he is similar to Beverley and Barea in a pesky sense, but he takes it to far when it looks like he is trying to hurt people (of course Pat made that dangerous move which took Westbrook out of the playoffs three years ago).

DboneG
01-19-2016, 07:32 PM
All time top 10 dirtiest NBA players

In no order... But, Bill Laimbeer was nasty!

1. Bill Laimbeer...he would trip, kick, hold, push, jump on top of you for loose balls, ANYTHING!
2. Rick Mahorn.....he was like Bill Laimbeer, willing to do anything to you on the court.
3. John Stockton...would hold, push, trip, elbow...anything!
4. Danny Ainge... nasty, dirty, slick Willie.
5. Kenyon Martin....nasty thug. He played thug ball.
6. Karl Malone....known for those sharp elbows. Just ask Isiah Thomas.
7. Dennis Rodman...just nasty when he wanted to be. Got in your head.
8. Bruce Bowen.....famous for putting his foot in your jump shot zone, causing you to twist your ankle.
9. Isiah Thomas.....he did a lot of slick, sneaky things the refs didn't see.
10. Xavier McDaniels.......The X-Man! Was a thug on the court would pick a fight with anybody. Anybody!

Reggie Miller, Reggie Evans, Charles Oakley, Metta World Peace.

effen5
01-19-2016, 08:03 PM
I'd throw rajon on this list

leprechaun5
01-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Dwyane Wade.

R. Johnson#3
01-19-2016, 11:13 PM
I was just thinking about him, and Larry Smith, And the Davis' from Indy, Anthony Mason ... all of them played dirty in similar ways ... what back then was just called "physical".

John Starks?

Kermit Washington is famous for one of the most dirty moments ever.

Danny Ainge was a punk *****, but he was dirty too.

Matt f'n Barnes!

Reggie Evans and Tyler Hansbrough may make the list at some point.

Isn't Reggie Evans the guy who grabbed a handful of Chris Kaman's sack?

I don't think Psycho T should be on the list. I've never seen him as a dirty player, more like the most annoying guy on the floor. He gets right up in guys faces and shoves them around. No cheap shots or anything. He's more of an instigator.

Scoots
01-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Isn't Reggie Evans the guy who grabbed a handful of Chris Kaman's sack?

I don't think Psycho T should be on the list. I've never seen him as a dirty player, more like the most annoying guy on the floor. He gets right up in guys faces and shoves them around. No cheap shots or anything. He's more of an instigator.
Some people call all that bumping and grabbing and pesky behavior dirty. But to me it just seemed he was out of control some

SolemnJudgement
01-19-2016, 11:33 PM
Artest, Bowen, KG, Evans, KMart, hansbourgh, and sheed come to mind

cmellofan15
01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
KG tried to keep so many nba players from having children lmao

JLynn943
01-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Should have seen how big my eyes got before I read the next sentence hahah. Now I know how Timmy feels.

On a side note, you're probably right.

:laugh:

J_M_B
01-20-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm just throwing Dwyane Wade's name in here. He has gotten away with so many dirty plays. I remember one all-star game he got mad about a no call on Kobe, a couple plays later, he smacked the ***** outta Kobe so bad that he got a concussion.

I will he say he's one of the smartest dirty players ever, because he does it in a way that its hard to tell if its intentional or not, lol but it always is.

Kobe dismissed this years ago, they're good friends off the court.

Lakers + Giants
01-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Artest
Malone
RAJA ****IN BELL
Dahntay Jones
Bowen
KG
Oakley
Rasheed
Rodman
Bowen

Not surprised most of those players are considered all time great defenders. It's a skill to get under a players skin and get in their head imo.

Lakers + Giants
01-20-2016, 08:21 PM
no doubt. But ask Harden's neck if he thinks Artest is dirty haha

neck? That was straight temple. :laugh: